Time For Breast Reduction - Richmond, VA

Started out with breasts that were large for my...

Started out with breasts that were large for my framd but not overly so. Sailed through 20s and 30s with 34 C cups. My son died when I was 40 and that started me on a spiral of binge eating and shopping. I am now 55 and I have 38 G cup breasts that hang to my waist. Photos later. Had my first appointment on February 27th with PS. All documentation in. Insurance company has not received the info yet. Should I hound the doctors office to get the info to Healthkeepers? Does anyone else have Anthem Healthkeepers and did it take long to get approval. Also, I am so thankful for this group of women on this website. I check in here 10 times a day for all the support here.

Welcome to the community!   Glad you joined us and happy you are going to share your journey.

I hope you get approved too. That is what worries me. I am disable and have Blue Cross HMO. I am just having to switch family doctors. I am really hoping she can help me get approved.
I sure hope you get approval. This is the best surgery in the world. I am 63 so you can never be too late. I only wish I had done this 20 years ago

Today I called Healthkeepers and they received my...

Today I called Healthkeepers and they received my information today. Now I feel like I can start the countdown for approval. One more step taken towards my reduction. I am feeling hopeful today.

I had my surgery 12 weeks ago. Now I feel wonderful. It is the greatest gift I have ever given myself. You will not ever regret this decision. I will keep hoping for you for approval. It is a shame all the red tape we have to go through.

Woo Hoo!!! Just checked my messages and the PS...

Woo Hoo!!! Just checked my messages and the PS office called to tell me I was approved !!! Ashley brought me good luck. Next step is a date for surgery.

Great news..time to celebrate and get ready for the best change in your life
Great news and good luck. You will be so happy!
Hi Prettyfearless! I live in Richmond,Va as well and I also have Anthemhealthkeepers. I was approved in 2days!

PS office called this morning. Surgery is...

PS office called this morning. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday May 28th. I am so excited. I can hardly sit still at work today. At my office we are referring to my surgery as The Cruise. All the girls are excited for me and one is hoping to have it done after me.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

7 week countdown. I am creating checklists for the...

7 week countdown. I am creating checklists for the things I need to do and buy. How many people think a recliner is a must? How about the wedge?

I am so happy for you! Believe me time will just fly by. This is going to make such a positive change in your life. I wish you nothing but the best.
Congrats! I was a mess waiting yo hear from my insurance.But they approved and my surgery is April 15. Hang in there , your cruise will be here before you know it .
I am so happy for you! You'll do well with your optimism! Keep us posted.

6 weeks to go. I am creating checklists and...

6 weeks to go. I am creating checklists and thinking of treating myself to a professional house cleaning service right before my surgery. Did anyone else do this? Going to schedule a mani pedi for one week post op. is that too soon? We can't wear nail polish for the procedure so I will need that mani pedi afterwards.

I have been in a recliner since surgery but true unless its electric unneeded someone to put there arm behind me to pull me up and I was fine. If I was home alone I would sit in recliner and use foot stool. Practice getting up and down without using your arms before surgery . I took the wheels off my bed to so I could get In and out by sitting and turning. I got alot of pillows for the bed so I was propped almost at a sitting position but only slept there twice lol I haven't laid on my belly yet but can lay on my side slightly but not for long because I'm still sore but improved every day. Getting nails done that's up to you as long as you have a driver.. I personally cut all my nails short and thorough shaved and got my hair trimmed etc all the day before so I wouldn't have a problem until I was ready to take care of it. Everybody is different . My recovery was a little slower than most because I had such a large reduction. I'm great now and none of it was to bad. Mostly discomfort and having to sit around was my hardest after the first week but never any pain to cry about. Good luck!!
You don't need a recliner for a reduction. I would wait 2weeks post op for mani pedi. I didn't have special cleaning done. Keep us posted!
Thank you. I need input like yours.

5 weeks to go before surgery. After reading...

5 weeks to go before surgery. After reading everyone's reviews, I can't wait until May. 28th. I keep trying on tops that are too tight in the bust and wondering how they will look post op. I have dresses I have never fit into well at the top.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Found out today that my co-pay will be $300.00....

Found out today that my co-pay will be $300.00. I'm happy about that. I can afford that. I'm sure there will be other expenses but I know the surgery is covered by insurance. Woo Hoo!!

Pretty fearless its all about comfort at my age . Just want to grow old as gracefully as possible without a chestful of boobies. I already deal with arthritis and bursitis along with degenerative disc's . So less weight to carry around on my chest will provide more comfort in my body .I am trying to lose about 25 lbs also . These weeks will fly by for you .Be encouraged.
Thank you.
That's great!

27 days and counting.

27 days and counting.

3 weeks and counting.

3 weeks and counting.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

17 days and counting. Finally starting to get a...

17 days and counting. Finally starting to get a little nervous. I have a lot of shopping and cleaning to do. I think I have read too much information. I don't know which way to turn. Info overload. I have made a million lists. Today I broke down and bought a dress that is too small in the chest but I will take it back tomorrow. I don't need to buy a any new clothes. I'm like a crazy person running around without direction.

Pretty Fearless you are describing everyone of us before our surgeries .lol I for one bought a couple of cute tops before surgery . And I read and reread everything on here . It was like Christmas for me to have my surgery . Never once second guessed my decision and loved my new boobies the first time I saw them .:-) Your day will be here in no time. So excited for you .

Thank you Glittergal. I am excited to be getting this gift. I just have my moments. Thank you for your help.
Not too long now. Believe me the days will just fly by and you will ask yourself are these little boobs really mine and can I keep them. That is what I asked my ps and he almost well off his stool. I wish you nothing but the best.

Two weeks until D Day. I got the best pajamas at...

Two weeks until D Day. I got the best pajamas at Walmart yesterday. They have buttons down the front, short sleeves and shorts that are long enough to be comfy. I'm taking them to the surgery center so I will already be in my pajamas when I get home from the hospital. I went looking for recliners but bought two club chairs for my family room. They are large and comfy with high backs so I will sleep in one of them with an ottoman for the first few days. They are also slipcovered so they can be washed. I couldn't pass them up. We need furniture because we bought a fixer upper last year and all of our money has gone for things like roofs and washing machines. I think they will work great. I have my preop appointment today at 2pm. Sooooo excited!!!!!

Now I'm counting in sleeps. 11 sleeps to D Day. Getting all my ducks in a row at the office. Have 5 more work days to get it together. At home I am doing ok. Need to buy groceries and prepare lite meals for myself. Have all my supplies, I think. Still need to get my Rx.
Don't forget paper plates,etc., so you don't have to bend for the dishwasher or stretch to put stuff away! Good luck! You will SOOOOOO happy just like the rest of us. I'm wearing a really cute bra today - 36B. YAY.
Thank you Fantasia. I wantaB cup. We will see. Did you meet with your doctor at your preop visit. I met mine at the initial visit and haven't seen him since. Is this unusual?

In The ER again. Need Prayers

Nearly passed out at work short breath. Chest pain. Dizzy. Being worked up for a blood clot. Please pray girls. I am a little worried. My surgery is scheduled for next week.

Praying for a full and speedy recovery. Keep us updated.
Thinking of you today and praying for your recovery .
Oh my my heart goes out to you. Please try to relax. I hope and pray with all my heart that you will heal from this. The breast reduction is an elective procedure but your heart needs taken care of right now. Try to remain calm. The heart cath is not a difficult procedure and they can do wonderful noninvasive things in the cath lab. Please keep us posted. You are like family aand we all care deeply

Open Heart Surgery

Im progressing well. Thanks guys.

Thank you all so much. If I can get it, br is next year,
So glad to hear that you are progressing well. Wow what a change in plans. I am an operatng room nurse and I work in the open heart dept. I know what you are experiencing and I am pulling for you. This is another wonderful operation which we do each and every day. You will continue to improve because you are a woman and you are strong. You are in my thoughts and my prayers every day. Please keep us posted
Please get well..your health is most important..i have to say that i am glad that you are being followed so closely..my prayers are with you always

Heart Bypass surgery

Todaybis one week since I had open heart surgery. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. I hope to go home soon. My family has been so good to me. I'm glad to be here but keep thinking how I'm gonna make it with these gig knockers after looking so forward to it for so long.

Please keep us posted because your real self family cares so much about you. I hope you continue to recover well. Your cardiac rehab is most important now. Take care of yourself and you are in my prayers.
Glad to hear you're recovering and hope you're discharged home soon. I know its disappointing but Im glad they were able to correct this issue. Praying for a full and speedy recovery.
I sounds like you're doing well - if you're posting to RS! The BR can be done later on - right now you just have to follow doctors orders! My dad had a triple bypass and new heart valve when he was 65 and lived another 20 years without heart problems! And he was much older than you!

On the mend!!

Hi everyone,
I am 9 weeks post op from my heart attack and bypass surgery. Working half days and going to rehab. Still want my breast reduction because shoulder pain is still no joke. Thank you all so much for your prayers and positive thoughts. Hope to be on the flat side with you one day.

Hey Pretty, did you ever post your checklists? I was looking to point a new BR'er and remember you mentioned you were creating some.

I am so happy to hear from you. So glad you are progressing well after open heart. Please do not give up on breast reducton surgery. I know you will be strong enough for it. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers and i wish you happiness and inner strength. You can do whatever you put your mind to. If you want something bad enough it will be yours.
I'm so happy you posted today! My prayers and best wishes go out to you. You WILL have your BR! Keep up the good work!

Saw Plastic Surgeon Today

I was told by my cardiologist that I can have my breast reduction. Saw surgeon today and we discussed doing it at the hospital instead of the surgery center. He doesn't anticipate any problems but we will be at the hospital as a precaution. So, here I am again waiting for approval. Thank you all for your good wishes on my recovery from bypass surgery. I'm doing well.

You seem like such a special lady. Your story made me cry. I will be following you on your journey. I am so glad you are feeling better. My prayers are with such a special lady like you. BTW, that is a gorgeous mirror you have in your powder room. I think it's best to have your BR in the hospital. That is a good call.
That mirror is old. It was from my parents old house and it is plastic, but cute though. Thank you for your good wishes. I am getting excited about the prospect of smaller breasts!
So so happy to hear you are doing so well and I sure hope you get approval again. This surgery should be a breeze after the bypass surgery and cardiac rehab. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Hopefully Finally Getting It Done

I am scheduled for breast reduction surgery February 10th. I am 56 years old. Ready to get this done. Scheduled last year but had a heart attack instead. Cardiac bypass Grafts. I'll just add the breast scars to the ones I already have. So I'm starting the countdown again. Going to clean the house, get new pajamas and prep food for the recovery. Has anyone had this surgery after having had a heart attack or any other major illness.

Did any one go back to work after just one week? I only have one week before I absolutely have to return to work.
Best of luck! I'll be four weeks PO tomorrow and couldn't be happier!!!! Not too long to go!!!
good luck, this has been a long journey

One Week To Go

My surgery is next Monday at 8:30 am. Today I went to Walmart to buy supplies. I also bought extra pillows, soft front close bras and Tylenol. Next weekend will be house cleaning to keep busy. I expect to be very nervous next weekend. So glad to have this forum to say that. My family is already scared witless because of the previous heart attack. I keep telling them that I'm not scared but I am, a little. Of well, I can't spend the rest of my life with this shoulder and back pain.

I did something crazy over the weekend. I bought a white button down shirt, a navy blazer, a black turtleneck and another blazer. They are all too tight across the chest. I anticipate wearing them post op. Am I crazy for buying clothes before the surgery. Last time I did not allow myself to buy clothes in anticipation and we know how that turned out. I also bought a pretty powder blue cardigan.
Do you have a desk job ? I would think anything more would be very hard. I have a fairly strenuous job and I was off for 4 weeks. When I went back to work I felt like I was shot out of a cannon. Take care of yourself and rest a lot.
I sit in front of 2 computer monitors all day. I wish I could stay out longer but had to fight to get this one week off. I will anticipate coming home and passing out every evening for the first few weeks.

Hospital Pre-op Today

Early morning appointment at the hospital for an EKG and blood work. Filled out lots of papers. Answered a lot of questions. 6 days to go. Getting nervous. Anyone else scheduled for the 10th of February?

Pre Surgery

This is the sports bra I want to fit post op. I Don't Think So.

You'll do great :) Think positive! Positivity is the most important aspect in surgery and recovery, I believe :)) Can't wait to see your results :)
Thanks Tamjoy. I am working on being positive. 5 days to go!
I am so excited for you and I know you will do well. Feb 10 th is a good day, my son's birthday and that was a super day for me and I am sure it will be a great one for you also. That desk job sounds great and I know you will get lots of rest, best of luck to you.

Three Sleeps To Go

It's Friday night. My surgery is Monday morning. I'm excited and nervous. What things did you guys do the day before to keep busy and to prepare. I will be spending the night. I think I have everything I need. One lady suggested white washcloths instead of gauze. Walmart had a package of 18 for 10.00. I think this is a great idea. One on each breast.

I did anything and everything to distract myself the weekend before, but all the good it did because I woke hours too early stewing about it. I don't know about the wash clothes though. They can leave a lot of lint behind and raise your risk of infection. Plus it will hurt like crazy when they need to be changed. Pads and panty liners are good because they are treated so they don't stick to us during that time of the month and they're obviously pretty absorbent. The other nice thing is the sticky backing, so they can't shift as much. What is nice about the wash clothes is you have a dedicated clean supply. My PS had me do warm Epsom salt compresses once or twice daily from four weeks until all the scabs were gone. Just this RN's two cents...
Thank you for the great tips. I also bought maxi pads and extra large bandages. The lint could be a problem. I will have to think about that. Today I picked up my prescriptions, took out my sheets for linen changing tomorrow. I also washed my hair today. Tomorrow I will start the antibacterial scrubs. I'm going to wear my pajamas no Monday and my husbands fleece zip front jacket. I will also charge up our cell phones and the ipad since I am spending the night at the hospital. I also made my husband get a hair cut. I'm driving him nuts.
I almost forgot to wish you the best of luck. I will keep you in my prayers.

Two Sleeps To Go

Today I stayed busy. Cleaning, laundry, hair shampooing, Rx, etc... I keep pinning outfits that I want to wear on my pinterest pages. I'm also reading all the reviews here. Having this forum is my lifeline. My husband is probably tired of hearing about breasts. He is smart enough not to say anything though.

:) I had to work so i was quite distracted, on the day of surgery i was spending time with my kids and hubby playing cards. But if you are lucky your surgery is right in the morning and you don't have to wait too long! Good luck!
this has been a long and bumpy road. this will be such a happy outcome. sending you best wishes from the UK

Tomorrow

Surgery is at 8:30 am est. It is now 9:40 pm. Less than 12 hours to go. I know I won't sleep so I have plans to organize my closet, clean my husbands bathroom and some other tidying after midnight. I set the alarm for 5 am because we need to leave home at 6 am. Gotta put the pillow and sunglasses in the car for the trip home on Tuesday. I'm having this surgery to alleviate the pain in my neck, back and shoulders but I really hope to be able to wear the nice tops I've bought. I saved the receipts just in case. Didn't buy any post op pretty bras yet but have fantasies of lacy, pretty colored bras with just a couple of snaps in the back.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I forgot something in my last post

I threw away all my bras today. I did save one for comparison for the after shot. It felt goooooooood to dispose of those instruments of torture.

Good luck, so excited for you. proper bra shopping is best left for around 4 months but i have been shopping for comfy bras to cover this first stage. not only is it fun to shop for new clothes, it is also fun to look so different in old clothes or get into those things you loved too much to throw out even though they did not fit
Wishing you a quick and easy recovery. Looking forward to hearing from you when you are up to it. x
2 words; VICTORIAS SECRET !!! Oh yeah and 2 more words; SPAGHETTI STRAPS!!

Today is the day

I am at the hospital. Will update later. Love you all.

I am crossing fingers for you and i wish you a good and fast surgery !
Good luck, hope all goes well for you.
Woohoo! here you go! Marking up is weird......

Done, Babeeeee!

Reduction done. Spending the night in the hospital. Just had dinner. I can move arms but can't pee. They had to put in a catheter. So full of pain meds I didn't feel a thing. Husband, Mama and best friend were here. Best friend is a nurse. Very helpful. Dr. Lynam was great. Nurse anesthetist was great. So far, so good. Blood pressure went high 179/82 but nurse got it down. I feel great right now. Thank you real Self Angels for all of the love and encouragement. I look fabulous in my photo. Ha ha!

Awesome...u are right you look beautiful!!! Happy healing & keep us posted!
so happy for you, let us all know how you are doing
You look wonderful. I am so proud of you. I had that big ace wrap on also. After a while it got a little loose but at first it seemed very compressing. Get lots of rest. My ps said he wanted me to lounge around and not do anything more exerting than eating bonbons. I did not even know what a bonbon was.

Prepping for bad weather

Getting my drains out today instead of Thursday because we're prepping for snow here in Va. I like to snack when I'm stuck in the house. My tummy is already bigger than my breasts. I have work to do. Today is 2 days post and I am very sore under arms and at bottom of breasts. Slept in my bed last night and really wanted to turn on my side. As soon as these drains come out I'm gonna try it.

This post was exactly what I needed. I have my surgery next week and I'm so.anxious and scared. More because I.have a 1yr old and she wont let me heal in peace. Smh but thanks for the post, it really helped calm my nerves some
Welcome to the smaller side! I hope you feel ok and have lots of rest.
I wasn't able to sleep on my side for 6 weeks. I tried after a month or so but my boobs hurt and pulled. I had soreness on my drain holes too. You look great and try not to rush things. I made myself a nest of pillows every night. Plus I took naps a lot during the day in my recliner. I tried to eat sensibly with lots of fiber so help with the bloat and sluggish bowels. I was definitely the lady of leisure and I needed the rest. Please don't take this procedure lightly. This is major surgery and you must rest and stay well hydrated.

3 Days Post Update

Finally took photos of new breasts. They look pretty good to me. I have tried on all of my clothes and love how much more proportioned I look. I have a waist. Woo Hoo!

Congrats on your surgery :)!! You are looking great!! Maybe ask your dr about when would be ok to sleep on your side. I know it's a pain ..literally.. To sleep elevated and on your back constantly. Happy healing look forward to seeing your updates!
You look just great, well done . Get your rest and enjoy
How are you doing? your incisions look very good and clean.

Losing Taste

Did anyone notice that food doesn't taste the same. It's as if my sense of taste is dulled. After I had heart surgery i lost my sense of taste for almost two months. I didn't think this would be a problem.

Back To Work 1 Week Post

Back to work yesterday. Going great but today I am a lot more tired. Have slept on my sides since day 3. Going to PS today at lunch time. I think it's going well but suture lines are so I can't tell. My biggest worry is that I will have an opening.

Very Tired

Everything has gone so well so far but today I hit a wall. I'm at work and had to go to my car for a nap because I am so tired. I'm 10 days post op and came back to work 3 days ago. I go to bed very early every night and feel fine in the morning but by 1:00 I am staggering with exhaustion. Can't go home early. Just have to take it like a woman.

wow! You should have had more time off :( Just rest as much as possible, and take every second you can have a break or relax to do that. I hope you're feeling well, and how did your PO visit go the other day? :))
Dr. Visit went very well. I'm feeling great. Minimal itching and discomfort. Tried wearing a sports bra but had to go back to the surgical bra. Still working on a plan for early retirement.
I'm glad to have this forum to vent. Yes they know about my surgery. Not only did they make any allowances but I was given two more jobs to do. I do everything that no one else wants to do. I am the office mule. I took my lunch hour to google early retirement then I cried. I am really tired so everything is making me sad. I'm home on my sofa now. Thank you guys for reading my hissy fit.

25 days post

Feeling better and less tired every day. New experiences though. Breasts are getting those sharp, quick pains. I guess the nerves are waking up. I also have one stitch trying to work out. I just clipped the ends and will let it work itself out. Good thing I read about this happening here or it might have freaked me out. New photos soon.

Doing well. 6 weeks post. Still have scabs. They are flaking off a little at a time. Looks like snow inside my black sports bra. I hope everyone that gave me encouragement are doing well.
glad you are doing well, looking forward to new photos
Good for you I think of you often and I am so happy you are doing so well.

New Me

New haircut to go with my new breasts. I love it.

Wow awesome testimony. My surgery is 9/30 I am so excited.
You look great and the new hairdo is very flattering.
The haircut really suits you.
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Referred by another plastic surgeon. Dr. Lynam is a master surgeon. My breasts look great. Pain is minimal. The staff is so nice. They all made me feel comfortable. I will refer friends to him. He is the best!