Fraxel Restore Ruined My Skin -Richmond, VA

For several years, I had been dealing with severe...

For several years, I had been dealing with severe melisma. I was very excited to learn that Richmond Dermatology and Laser Center in Richmond, Virginia offered the new Fraxel Dual. In September 2011, I had my first treatment with only the "dual" portion of the laser. My skin looked great - for about two weeks. Then, the melisma and redness returned. The aesthetician during my first procedure seemed knowledgeable and sincere. She expressed several times how important it was to not go deep with the original Fraxel Restore become of prolonged redness.

When I returned to the clinic months later, I learned that a new aesthetician had replaced the original. She believed that another treatment would help with all the blotches and redness that had returned after my first Fraxel. So, in October 2012, I had my second treatment. I should have stopped her as she was reluctant to share with me setting information and acted as if it was a surprise. She insisted that I needed both of the Restore lasers - 1550 and 1924. Well, here I am almost a year out and my skin is getting worse and worse. There are little bumps all over the treated area and the redness and pigmentation persist. I returned to the laser center and was told that I would have to set up an appointment with the dermatologist - separate from the laser office. I did. The dermatologist wasn't helpful stating only that "our intent is not to ruin your skin." She sent me on my way with some cream designed for dandruff and a prescription for finacea.

About a week later, I went to a different dermatologist who stated that the Fraxel had removed the top layer of skin, exposing the sweat glands and creating a condition called sebaceous hyperplasia. She said that there is no treatment for this condition but did recommend another Fraxel treatment - this time at her office.

Needless to say, I'm devastated. My skin was a mess before Fraxel. Now it's even worse. Should a doctor read this and have thoughts about a course of action, I would be grateful.
Mary at the Richmond Dermatology and Laser Center

Terrible experience - only concerned with making promises but no compassion after an unsuccessful treatment.