Awaiting Surgery! 1/4/2012 - Richmond, CA

Hey everyone! So first off I am 20 years old and a...

Hey everyone! So first off I am 20 years old and a Junior in college at CSUMB in the lovely monterey, ca. I have been having back pain, shoulder pain, shoulder grooves and emotional issues surrounding my breast size for a while now. I am about a 38 DDD but maybe more like an E since most of my bras dont always fit well. I have always felt like my breasts were way too big for my personality and hated how my identity started to be 'the girl with big boobs.' Clothes didnt fit right and the ones that did, I didnt like. Shopping for bras especially sucked.

Anywho, on a happier note, my surgery is less than a month away! I am so happy that I found this site. I have been searching on the web and on youtube like crazy to get different people's point of views.

SO: i hope that a lot of you guys can respond to my posts and we can all relate :D I was really wondering what I can start doing now to prepare for surgery and what I need for it??

I know that I want to get some button up shirts so does anyone have any advice or tips on what to look for in the shirts or where/what brand are good??

I'm also semi-worried about going home with the drains. My dr says that I will have them in for 3 to 5 days which really freaks me out! Any advice??

Ahhhhh! 15 days left! It is not coming fast enough...

Ahhhhh! 15 days left! It is not coming fast enough... I am soo overly excited. How can I possible pass the time ?

Ok so my surgery is in two days and I am excited...

Ok so my surgery is in two days and I am excited but worried at the same time! I have had this cough for over a week now and I'm wondering if there is any possibility they will reschedule?? I have had to make so many arrangements and so has my family that it would be really really disappointed. I don't have a runny or stuffy nose, no fever, just a itchy cough. Has anyone had experiences with this or know if it's ok??

Hey everyone! Day 4 today!!! Everything went...

Hey everyone! Day 4 today!!! Everything went really well and I think I'm healing up nicely. The drains are gross though and I won't get them out until Monday so boo to that but other than that I'm up walking around today feeling pretty good :)
Kaiser Permanente

Um, how did it cost you$1250??
im so happy to hear you're up and moving around! :)
It is possible that they would reschedule. You might want to be checked out just to make sure. It is always possible that it is allergies or nerves causing the cough, but if there is any chance that it is respiratory then the anesthesiologist may not clear you. Going to your primary care or urgent care just to be sure would definitly be worth your time. Good luck!
oh same Im SO excited for the new clothes and buying new bras and all that stuff. gosh its gonna be awesome. i just got a whole bunch of button up cozy shirts and pj's and yoga pants and all that. so that should be helpful! yeah im staying with my family these next two weeks so that is DEFINITELY helpful. im really happy for that! and for the gauze and all that.. they just do all that at the hospital. :)
yeah exactly! my mom and boyfriend both think im rather crazy as well.. haha ohhh well! thanks! im trying not to! gosh.. tomorrow is my last day with boobs. how WEIRD! honestly im not totally sure.. all I bought were button down pj's. besides that, I've just been taking everyday as if I wasn't even having surgery. My doctor didn't really say I needed to "prepare", it was kinda just left as "well, see ya on the 15th!" how about you?
I have been trying to put off shopping for as long as i can because i dont want to get too excited too soon. But i do have a list of things that a lot of people have recomended..

antibacterial soap
extra bandages/gauze
gold bond ointment
ace bandages
a couple sports bras
comfortable slippers
an eye mask (to help you sleep during the day)
comfortable hair bands/ties since you cant do your hair
button up pjs and shirts

and just overall make sure that you have everything you need for entertainment and to make the spot that you will be staying comfortable. I say this just because i feel like it would suck to have to come and either hurt yourself trying to do it or asking someone else to do it. Ill be staying with my mom and im super happy about it but at the same time i feel kind of weird and dont want to ask her for everything, you know?

But i think in general you could probably just see what you need when the time comes. and if the doctor didnt tell you anything about gauze or sports bras, they might be supplying that for you.

Enjoy your last day with the girls!
Hahahah oh gosh that's so funny I seriously say the sammmme thing! And I'm like guys the bounce all over the place they're heavy and ahh what's right for you doesn't mean it is for me haha. Mine is December 15th, two days!!! I'm completely freaking out ahhh I can't believe it's happening.

When I was about a month away all I would do is preoccupy my time with researching, looking at pictures, saving pictures I want/don't want. Just all I would think about.. Kinda ridiculous I know haha. Yeah finals is a good way to make the time go by too! I just finished and next thing I know surgery is around the corner! Plus you'll also have the holidays so that's good too!
Haha! :D Thats exactly what i do now. When i have free time and start thinking about it all i do is research and watch videos and look at pictures. My boyfriend and mom think im crazy because i keep on telling them new info like every day! But thats the only way i can occupy myself or else i might just freak out! i cannot wait.. im so happy for you! Dont freak out! Just be super excited! Do you have everything you're going to need?
Hey there i'm in the same boat as you! Sooo happy to know I'm not alone. I'm at soph at ASU and serisouly alll my friends have small boobs as well... They really just don't get it haha. I'm a 32E so just know you're not alone and hang in there :)
Oh that is great to know! It sucks to feel like you're alone and cannot explain things well enough to make people understand. So many people are asking me why im doing it and all i can tell them is to put 15 more pounds around their neck and they will understand!

When is your surgery scheduled? I am sooo excited beyond words and think about it seriously EVERY DAY. It's causing time to go by kinda slow though so this week im preoccupied with finals but other than that im soo excited!
Welcome to RealSelf, Lovely! You will be ringing in the New Year with a New You! Congratulations.
I lived in botton up PJs for the first week and most of the second. I even wore them to my follow up appts with the doctor. I just got some cheap ones at Wal-Mart and they worked perfectly.
My doctor recommended using antibacterial bath soap, such as Antibacterial Safegard or Lever 2000, for at least two weeks before surgery. I used it faithfully and continue to do so. For me the bra part was really hard. I ended up using ACE bandages alot which I found to be really comfortable and you could adjust as your size changed. It does require someone to help you wrap it around you, but it was really nice being able to control the amount of pressure. Just make sure and put some gauze 4x4s over your nipples and other incisions.
Keep granola bars, yogurt, fruit, and other easy to grab snacks. Also might want to start stool softeners when you get home because pain meds do tend to be constipating and that is an issue you don't need while trying to heal.
Best of luck! Have a wonderful Christmas and an amazing 2012!
Yesss! Thank you & I am so glad to bring in the new year with the new me :) It is seriously already a life changing experience. I will be picking up some shirts from old navy this weekend and some antibacterial soap also. I also just started taking vitamin C and eating things that are loaded with it because ive been feeling like im getting sick and i cannot risk it!

You'll be having surgery and healing before you know it! I'm glad you're able to get this done so you can feel more like yourself. You might want to read 13 Things I Wish I'd Known before my Breast Lift/Reduction surgery. Lots of great info there.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling!

slippers, front button pj's and shirts, zipper hoodie/sweat outfit to wear to hospital and home again...lots of fluffy pillows...and comfy sports bra to wear wben washing your surgical bra, or ace bandage someone else suggested somewhere on here!
Do all drs give you the surgical bra? And how do you know what size sports bras to buy?

Have you already had your surgery? If so, how are you feeling?
um...you kind of take a shot in the dark, cuz you will swell...call your surgeons office to see if they give you bra...mine did. yes, had my surgery on monday...feeling ok but when meds get to the 5 hour mark i get to feeling pretty beat up...but i have great range of motion in my arms which surprises the heck outta me! have to remind myself to take it easy!
Okay I will do that! Thanks for your info and I'm glad you're doing well.
Yea i agree! Its good to know that there are more people outside of your own circle as well with different experiences. I have been going crazy because I'm at such an awkward time where like its close to my surgery date, but not close enough to start getting too excited, so looking up information has been my pasttime.

I am most excited about going shopping for some things that I'm going to need, but I'm not sure what exactly i need. lol
hey there lovelyyyy...i too was the girl with the big boobs...coincidentally i wore a 38DDD as well!!!
This site has been a true sanity saver as most of my friends are itty bitty women that could not really relate to me...but i did have a few that have gone through the procedure but you can only talk to them so many times before you become repetitive (does that make sense?)