Im 22 years old, 5'1 and weigh about 150lbs. Ive...

Im 22 years old, 5'1 and weigh about 150lbs. Ive always had big boobs which caused a lot of back and neck problems for me. When I turned 18 I decided to get a breast reduction. I had the consultation and everything and was so excited. About a week later I found out that insurance didn't cover the procedure even if its medically necessary. I was devastated! I became depressed because of this.

I got married this past January (2013) to the most wonderful guy in the universe! We discussed trying to get the surgery done sometime this year. He got a raise and promoted, which allowed us to afford my surgery sooner than we had planned!

I got the soonest date that I could because I was so excited! My surgery was Thursday August 29th. It was out-patient so I went home that day. I didn't have any pain at all that day. I even got my husband and parents (who came to town to help take care of me) to take me shopping! It was hard walking straight and standing up so I had to be in a wheelchair but I wasn't in pain.

Day 2 I was in a little more pain but still ok to get up and do stuff (my family hated that I wouldn't stay sitting down!) I did notice that a blister had appeared above my bottom incision. I called the ps and he said it was common and to just keep gauze and Neosporin on it.

Day 3 I was in more pain than before and the bruises were the worst. I had my first shower/bath with the help of my husband. I didn't wanna raise my arms to wash my hair though so I went to the salon and had it washed (and cut) and just relaxed! Also went shopping (I just cant stay home!)

Days 4 (yesterday) and 5 (today) were about the same. Itching like crazy and not as much pain anymore. Yesterday the blister busted and another appeared on my other boob (not as big). I bought a sports-like bra to help keep the gauze in place. They keep oozing clearish liquid and blood. Also they are still a little numb >.<

My post-op is Wednesday so I get my bandages off then. Hopefully the swelling goes down soon so I know for sure what my size is now. Either way im super happy with the results! I don't even have back pain anymore!

Forgot to mention...

My bruises are blackish purple on the bottom of both breasts. Has anybody else experienced this? It kinda worries me :(

Pics

more pics

Post-op

My post-op was at 8:30 this morning. I got my big bandages off and everything looked good, my ps wanted to take the extra skin from the blisters off so they could start healing faster. He wants me to keep double or triple antibiotic ointment and guaze on it and see me every week until the wounds heal. According to them, the bruising and numbness is normal and will take a few months to go away.

I think today has been the worst day for pain. Although im pretty numb, the wounds where the ps pulled the skin off sting pretty bad. Im also pretty sore and swollen. Hopefully that goes away soon!

Gift

Forgot to mention in my post-op update that my ps gave me a $200 gift certificate to their spa! Im in need of a facial! :)

Pain

The numbness in my incisions is going away. I have this pain on the right side close to the bruise on my ribs that feels like someone is pushing on my incision as hard as they can. Ive taken my Lortab and some Ibuprofen but the pain isn't going away :( other than that pain I really only hurt when I get up and walk around. I feel tightness and a little sore like Im just bruised.

Still keeping Neosporin and guaze on my open wounds. All I feel on those is a little bit of stinging but theyre numb for the most part.

Since surgery, Ive been sleeping on the couch/recliner so I can stay on my back (if I sleep in the bed I might roll over onto my stomach). Last night I crawled into bed with my husband just to cuddle and ended up falling asleep (thanks to Ambien lol) I slept really good until my husband left for work. I couldn't get back to sleep because I had really bad back pain from being flat on my back. Looks like Im back on the couch until I can sleep on my side or stomach :/

For the first time today I felt nauseus

Oops..

My last update posted before I was done...

For the first time today I felt nauseous. I was up and about for a few minutes getting things packed to go to my parents house later today. Then I had some cereal. Im not sure if it was activity or the food that made me sick but I had to take a Phenergan to feel better, and now Im resting until its time to leave. Anybody else have trouble with nausea after surgery?

ick

So Wednesday my ps rubbed the loose skin from the blister off and this is what it looks like now. Its like a giant scab. Not sure how long itll take to heal. Still cant feel it though. He said thats normal and itll take a few months to get feeling back

my dress fits now!

Bruises, blisters, and pain

All of my bruises are pretty much gone now, but I still have pains on my ribs really bad and im starting to feel the incisions :/

The scabs from the blisters look to be healing. They still look icky but not as black. I've kept neosporin and gauze on 24/7 but I'm gonna try to go without tonight to let them air out a bit.

I keep saying that the pain is getting worse everyday but I also realized that I've stopped taking the Lortab as much... But the numbness is going away so maybe it's a bit of both.

more pics and post op 2

Went for my second post op this morning. My ps said everything is normal and that I might start splitting under my boobs which is to be expected. I'm supposed to see him every week but I'll be out of town for 2 weeks and then he's out of town the next week so my next appt is Oct. 2nd. He said I just need to keep him posted and send pictures if anything changes and he will let me know if I need to come back to town for stitches or something like that.

No sleep

Well my "vacation" to see my parents isnt really going that well. They have 4 cats and im severely allergic to them :( so on top of not being able to sleep because of my surgery, I cant sleep because I cant breathe and I had a massive headache last night and only got an hour of sleep :( I brought (and took) Clairton, benedryl, and my inhaler. Nothing seems to be working and im miserable. Ive only been here since Wednesday and ill be here for 2 weeks! Hope this gets better :/

same shirt before and after

sleep

Finally got some sleep last night. Mainly because I took two benedryl and a lortab last night. I'm able to sleep on I'm left side with no pain but because of the giant scab/sore on the right side it kinda hurts to lay on. But it's gettin better! :)

Slowly gettin better

So all the tape is off. I rubbed Neosporin on them and then showered, the oiliness of the medicine made it come off easier.

Im able to sleep on my stomach now. I just have to be very gentle when I roll over.

The scabs are getting smaller everyday and the glue is coming off little by little. I saw a small part of the bottom incision and the scar looks really good. I could barely see it.

Still no splitting and it doesn't look like they will (that's just my opinion though), I just hope they keep healing like they are and not get worse. My right boob is still more swollen than left (don't see much improvement) but its not getting worse.

pics to show improvement

I know you cant see much but my wounds are getting increasingly smaller day by day. My incisions look really good especially on the left side. It amazes me that they aren't that noticeable even though I've seen everyone else's scars (well I saw that they were barely noticeable as well ;P )

more improvement

I freaked out for a second

So here's an update. Everything is looking better everyday! But yesterday after my shower a piece of glue came off that was still attached to a scab. I freaked out at first thinking my incision split but then realized what happened. I just need to be more careful with it

found some pictures on my mom's phone

sad :( 1 month post! (thursday)

So what I thought wasnt gonna happen did :( the vertical incision on my right side split. Im extremely sad about this.. but on the bright side im able to wear strapless dresses! This excites me to the max! Iol

(Sorry about the blurry pictures)

nervous

Finally decided to upload nipple pics. Was uncomfortable at first but it's whatever lol so anyways. The left side is gettin smaller and the right side opened up more :( my next appointment is Wednesday and I think my ps is gonna take the scabs off finally. Im gettin nervous though cuz my feeling is coming back to those areas. They just itch right now but I dont want it to hurt :/

left side

Well the scab on the left boob has finally come off! Hopefully now it will heal really fast! The Right side still looks the same though

1 month 1 week post op

My appt was today, my ps cut all the dead skin/tissue/scab off my wounds. I felt pressure mostly but it only hurt on one spot. He gave me a bottle of saline and wants me to keep damp gauze on my wounds until they heal. The small one should take 3 weeks and the big one about 6 weeks. So I dont need a skin graft :) im happy about that! Ill upload pics after my shower tomorrow, I already have them all covered and dressed.

:( so much pain

I decided to change my dressing because my ps put really big gauze on and it was uncomfortable. (Sorry forgot pics) The left side was fine, but the righr side hurt so much when I tried to take the gauze off. The area that hurt when he cut into it bled and dried on the gauze causing it to stick to it. Since I pulled it off (as gently as I could) and put more gauze on its been stinging so bad :( im scared to take a shower in the morning.. not looking forward to dealing with this everyday

severe pain :"(

Went to take off the gauze to shower. The left side came off fine. The right side on the other hand was stuck on there pretty good. I had 3 layers on and was able to take 2 off with only a little pain. The third layer hurt so bad I was crying. Even in the shower after I soaked it. I finally got out of the shower to cut the loose pieces off and rubbed neosporin on the last part. It helped a little but still hurt really bad. Im supposed to do this everyday :( I dont think I can handle this for several weeks. Oh and theres lots of blood :/ I felt dizzy in the shower I had to stop and breath before I passes out

thanks

I want to say thank you to everyone who encourages me and keeps me in their thoughts and prayers. I have gotten a few opinions from other doctors. Theyve all said similar things. I dont regret my surgery whatsoever, I just wish I didnt have to deal with this. Id be ok if they were both as big as the left but the right side hurts so bad :( the left doesnt hurt at all. It takes me an hour just to get the gauze off so I can take a shower. I even wet it in the shower and try but nothing seems to help :( its really upsetting

update!

So yesterday I started a new cleaning routine. I started using hibiclens instead of fragranced soap (I know that's bad, it's all I had) and I started using a tighter weave gauze. I've noticed a huge difference just since yesterday AND I wasnt in hardly any pain taking the gauze off! That makes me extremely happy!

blood

More blood than normal while taking off my gauze today :/ feel really dizzy seeing all that blood. Idk how I can watch gory movies but cant handle my own blood. But at least I still didnt have that much pain taking everything off!

Kinda upsetting that my Fredericks 36F bra still fits :(

Forgot to mention earlier

When I went to take off my gauze earlier there was hardly any pain or blood and I didn't need to wet it at all. Came off very easy. Everything looks great too. Healing very well!

1 month 2 weeks post

So it turns out that I will need a skin graft. Apparently my wound got bigger since last week. My ps said he wants to see me next week to see how everything is and figure out when we need to schedule the surgery. I really only need it on the big wound but he said he would go ahead and do it on both since ill already be under. He also said that my insurance should cover this procedure but if it doesnt then he would cover it

pics

I dont see a difference other than the nasty dead tissue is almost gone

Crazy itchy!

I haven't really had much pain (except when my dogs jump on me or my husband tries to hold me in his sleep). I've mostly been itching. Its itches so bad Idk what to do about it :/

I've had trouble sleepin lately. Last night I didnt get to sleep til 3 and the night before wasn't til after 4. But when I do sleep I'm still able to sleep on my stomach with no pain (probably not a good idea though)

My next appt is Monday and ill find out when my skin graft will be. I'm hopin its soon so I don't have to deal with the gauze anymore. Has anyone had to have a skin graft?

scars and bra

My scars are looking great! And I pulled out an oldish bra (got it even though it was way too small, its a D-cup) and its too big now :D I cant tell by how much though. I have it fastened in the back (racerback) so it stays on otherwise itll fall off lol

skin graft

Saw my ps today, my skin graft is scheduled for next thursday the 24th. My insurance will cover all but $200 which my ps will cover for me :) I also asked how much he took out and it was 4lbs! :D

before skin graft/after

The wounds have been looking so much better lately. Hardly any dead tissue left. It wasnt hurting as much either and looked as if it was starting to heal (just very slowly).

Skin graft was this afternoon. Everything went great. When I woke my my pain level on my leg was about a 9, they gave me some lortabs and now its about a level 4. My boobs dont hurt at all. Just my leg. But I itch everywhere! Lol ill get my bandages off in a week

skin graft picture

I had to change gauze (just the tape really) so I decided to snap a pic while I could. Im pretty allergic to adhesive and the tape they used was super strong! I was itching a soon as I came to after surgery. I finally took it off and changed it to tape not as strong. I haven't been itching as much since then Thank goodness! My leg feels better too!

I wish I could get some sleep :( ive gotten to sleep around 3 every night pretty much since my first surgery. My schedule is so messed up now :/ I even wanna up late now. Im supposed to be getting a job soon so idk how im gonna fix my sleep schedule. Anyone have any suggestions?

Forgot to attach pic (so tired!)

allergic reaction

The tape pulled off some skin when I took it off to change last night :/ I'm not sure what else to do to

allergic reaction cont.

(My phone is acting up :/)... keep the gauze on. The paper tape that I had kept falling off and was just as itchy. Now I'm covered in adhesive and burns

hurting and healing

My leg hurts so bad :( I was having an allergic reaction to the plastic so I took it off (with my doctors permission) I have a piece of gauze that's stuck and hurts worse than when it happened on my boobs :/ it itches like crazy

hurting more and more

I can barely walk, I'm in so much pain. I just took 2 lortabs and they don't seem to be helping :( it seems like I'm hurting more than the day I got out of surgery. I cant even sleep. Idk what to do.

The wound is dried out and feels like if I sit still too long or hurts worse to try to move. Its giving of heat too. Idk if that's bad or not. I put a cold wet wash cloth on and wrapped an ace bandage around to soothe it. It's kinda helping but Idk if it'll make it worse :( im just so frustrated

2 months post op (and 1 week for skin graft)

To answer a few of yalls questions, ive been taking lortabs for pain which has helped alot. And benedryl for the allergic reactions to the tape.

I saw my ps this morning. He took off the gauze and stitches. The skin graft is looking good. My boobs dont hurt at all anymore. Just my leg.

I was finally allowed to take a shower after a week of waiting. It felt so good!

Im not sure whats wrong with my leg but its giving off alot of heat and its red all around it :/ I think its a little swollen too

update

My leg is itching so bad now which is a good thing I guess cuz that means I'm healing. It doesn't hurt as much anymore either

getting better!

almost no scabs left!

Still hurts but definitely not as much and still itches like crazy!

Can't tell a difference...

update

Ive been scared lately because pieces of the skin graft have been falling off so I texted my ps and he said that its new skin forming (thank goodness!)

3 weeks since skin graft

Saw my ps this morning. Everything is healing perfectly! I don't have to go back for another month! I'm impressed with how good they look.

no more pain :) happy 38B

Tried on a couple bras and im officially a B! Yay! Not in anymore pain either! Just have to wait til everything heals completely. Won't be too much longer :)

update

Sorry I've been behind on posting but everything is still going great. I'll post pictures soon. I do have one spot that hurts every now and then but for the most part they're fine. Still dry and peeling from the skin graft though. My leg isn't hurtin either. Still itches pretty bad but I can handle it.

picture update

Things have been crazy here lately so sorry for not posting sooner. Holidays are busy, I started working again, and my great grandma passed away last week. But here are some pictures... leg is still pretty red but it's getting smoother and not as dry/flaky. My boobs are healing great as well. Still peeling a little and a little tender on the spot on the right boob that was always hurting and bleeding. I have noticed though that they aren't even but I think that's because of the complications I had. The right one seems a bit higher and when I wear certain bras or tops my nipple sticks out a bit :/ but im still enjoying the life of little boobies :)

No big changes. Everything is still goin good. My right boob does itch quite a bit where the skin graft is though but I'm still numb in alot of places so it does nothing to scratch lol I have an appt to see my dr today so if anything changes I'll let yall know

blood clot

Well last night I had an itch right under my left rib. I felt something hard, like a hardened vein. I did some research before I got too freaked out but it turns out it was a blood clot from surgery. I went ahead and went to the er and they confirmed that that was the case. They said to take motrin for swelling and pain meds (as needed, which I dont). I also need to put a heating pad on the area for 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a day

scar covered! (and other updates)

So the blood clot is still there but its not bothering me and it isnt dangerous so im not really worried about it much.

I found a lump on my left boob. I got scared and called my mom and she assured me that it was just scar tissue. Once im back home im gonna call my ps and have him take a look/feel and see what he thinks. Its probably nothing but Id rather know for sure if it is or not.

Last but not least I GOT A TATTOO! Lol I covered the scar on my leg and you can barely see it anymore. I bet once the color is done you won't be able to see it at all anymore!

Its been a while...

Its been a while since the last update. Just haven't had anything really to update.

They've gotten bigger unfortunately :( im hoping I can get back in shape and maybe they will get smaller.

been forever since my last update

So I know I said I was happy with my results and don't get me wrong, it was still worth it, but now that everything is done healing I'm not as happy. When I went into surgery I was expecting scarring but not like this. My right breast is the worst. Pretty much the whole bottom half is scarred really bad. Idk what went wrong. Idk if I should be upset with my doctor or myself. I did everything I was supposed to so I don't think I caused this. My depression has gotten worse because I was expecting them to be perfect aside from the "anchor" which I didn't even mind. This I do mind.

My ps says he's gonna fix it. He wants to do a lift and take all the skin graft off...... but that's half my skin (is he planning on doing another reduction ?). The problem is, though, last time he said he was gonna "fix" it he said I wouldn't have to pay anything. After my surgery I got a bill in the mail for $900! I had already spent every penny I had on the $6000 for the first surgery. I don't go see him again until October but I'm worried he's gonna make me pay for this "fix". I can't do that.

I wanna know everyone's thoughts on this

*forgot to add*

The $900 bill was reduced to $100 after bringing it up to my ps.

Also the pain in the skin graft scars is still there

***NEW UPDATE***

I had an appointment with my plastic surgeon October 29th. I will be having yet ANOTHER surgery... sometime in January I think. We havent set a date yet. Were working on that detail. He said hes gonna do a scar revision and lift. Mainly just the lift I think but he said it will get rid of most, if not all, of the grafted skin. He isnt charging me for the surgery or anesthesia. The only thing I will have to pay for is the surgery room fee which I was told will be around $1100. They are in the process of trying to get the cost down lower which is why we dont have a date yet. Im gonna give them a call tomorrow sometime.
Dr. Lemmon at Regional Plastic Surgery Richardson