Worth It...New Nose in Hickory, NC

I was always very confident with my looks, except...

I was always very confident with my looks, except for that one thing...my big nose! No one had ever told me my nose was big but I could look in the mirror and see it was so obvious. I always felt like it was that ONE thing that was holding me back. Like "She would be pretty BUT...she has a big nose". I always wanted a nose job and everyone told me I was crazy. They would say things like "Your nose isnt THAT big." or "But God made you this way you should accept the way you are." Ive heard it all before but whenever anyone would tag or take photos of me of my profile view I would either untag them or simply destroy them! I had the kind of nose where you really couldnt tell it from the front but when I turned to the side it was like "Oh yeah--Now I see what you mean."

When I told my husband I wanted a nose job he tried to talk me out of it. He said I was beautiful in his eyes and he didnt want me to change. But I wasnt doing it for him, I wanted it for me. Finally he said if it meant that much to me and it would make me feel better about myself he would back me 100%.

I felt really sick toying around with the idea of going through surgery. I had never been sick or had any surgerys before. What scared me the most was not being able to forsee what the finished product would look like. When you agree to have the surgery you are taking a huge gamble. How big of a gamble you are taking depends on how well you do your homework. I went to a surgeon who does facial plastic surgery only and at least 2-3 nose jobs a week. I consulted with 3 different surgeons before I felt comfortable.

I guess I took the plunge because I figured there was no way my nose could look any bigger than it already did. My dad said he thought I was being "very courageous".

Its been exactly 8 weeks since the surgery and I'm still getting used to my new nose. Its smaller and shaped differently now. The dreaded hump is gone! My bridge is actually wider than it was and that is taking some major getting used to. I went yesterday to have my after photos taken and he said there was still alot of swelling going on even at this point. I've read before a good Rhinoplasty is one that is "sleek and unobserved" and I feel that is what I got. When I had the bandages taken off I thought I would have a tiny, perfect new nose--radically different from the beak I was sporting. My new nose is not as tiny, or as "cute" as I had imagined it would be, but I do like it much more than my original nose. I had closed Rhinoplasty with no pain, just the ususal severe congestion you hear about.

All in all, It still looks like MY nose just a smaller, more refined version of it. Did I want a completly different nose? Maybe. Maybe not. I still dont really know what to think but I do know it is what it is. I also thought my friends would be gushing over it, telling me how great I finally looked, but everyone pretty much kept quiet. Some people didnt even know I had anything done! I was a little let down, being that I was so emotionally invested in it. Alright already I'll finish this novel...just thought I would be frank about my experience.

M. Sean Freeman

Dr. Freeman is friendly but is a man of few words. I really liked the fact he called personally to check up on me the night of surgery. The receptionist is cold and indifferent and does not greet you when you arrive. Sometimes she says bye but thats about it. The procedure (how exactly it was performed) was never really explained to me. I still dont know exactly what he did but I do know it looks alot better now. I wish he would have warned me about how swollen it was going to look. I like his confidence and he is really skilled. His nurse Helen is the best nurse I've ever met (this coming from an RN!) she is OUTSTANDING and made me feel so special.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story.
You look amazing!
Its been a while now since Ive been on here. I really need to post some recent pics because I am still being amazed at how much my nose has shrunk since the surgery. Every month it gets smaller and smaller---which is exactly what I wanted! When I had my cast taken off I was devastated...crushed---my new nose was enormous and I looked like Shrek. The next month it was smaller and smaller still the next. Now its been 10 months and I am happy with my new nose. I really dont think he could have done a much better job. The hump is gone, my tip is smaller. Im still left with just the slightest little bump (not even visible unless you get 2 inches from my face) but I can deal with that and he said it may even dissapear eventually (i think its scar tissue under the skin because its where the cartilage meets the bone on the top of my nose). Im still happy I got it done.

@NaturalMe--Dont stress when my cast came off my nose was 4 times bigger than my original nose! If you go with the scoop it is a cute look but It can also make it veer towards the fake-ish side too depending on the curve. IMPORTANT: The days and first few weeks after the cast came off my nose was STRAIGHT--straight as an arrow--NO curve at all.....but now over time I have acquired a slight curve! Maybe that will be the case for you too? Its really just a subtle curve (i really need to post a profile pic of it geez) but still looks pretty graceful compared to my former witch nose. I was afraid my surgeon was too conservative with me too--but It IS truly amazing just how much my new little nose has changed over 10 months. All I can say girl is give it time....up to a year they say until you can really decide if you like it or maybe even love it or not. Either way--i guarantee its gonna be a big improvement. I think you are extremly georgous and I look forward to seeing your updates. I am excited for you because you really wont know what you end up with until several months down the road like me. Patience my friend and thanks for the compliment! Were all in this together!
Hello I read your story and I feel the me and you have kind of the same post op thoughts. I have Big features such as big eyes and lips and I opted for a more conservative, plain look. Now that I had my
Cast removed I'm having second thoughts; I know it's only been 4 days since cast removal but my nose it's pretty much the same just without the hump. Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased the hump is gone but maybe a tiny scooped or more sloped profile would have made my nose cuter. Its probably too soon to give an opinion but I'm having mixed feelings wheather should i have asked for a more dramatic change . You can read my review and tell me what you think if you like. I think you look very beautiful and the new nose changed you in a good way; your results are very natural and it's one of those noses I would never guess has been fixed because it fits you perfectly. I guess this is the goal in rhinoplasty :)
Wow you look amazing! Thank you for your story :) It is very helpful and inspiring.
i think this surgeon is amazing. the fact that he made the bridge wider was a smart move, since it looks more natural. you look great! keep us posted
You look great! Your surgeon did a great job.
thank you!! i feel great
Wow - this is insane that I stumbled upon your post. I am 2 weeks post-op and FREAKING out because my nose looks huge and swollen. I look like a alien! I was looking through your photos and each one of them looked like MINE--even the same BANDAGES. So then I re-read you post and we had the SAME DOCTOR, Dr. freeman in CLT. How long before this swelling goes down? I'm going back in 6 weeks for pictures. Trying to be patient. Massaging HURTS!!!!!
Hi ereece! crazy we have the same doctor. does your new nose look like mine too? lol. 2weeks is when I think I had THE most swelling going on. I looked like Shrek! I am 6 months post op and still have a little bit of swelling going on every now and then. It gets smaller every month. I need to put a more recent pic up I guess. Did you have open or closed rhino? He did my friends nose and Its super cute
Amazing results....the 4 month picture looks beautiful........WOuld you say that you are still swollen in the front? I wanted to know if you think the front of your nose looks a little bit bigger or "fatter" than before the surgery or would you say its the same?or thinner?
yeah my nose is wider now! Before the surgery I was really worried that it would turn out wider and guess what...sure enough it IS wider now! I'm not sure at this point if its still swelling or if it will just remain this wide. My nose before was really skinny and it might have been because the hump was like a hard little bone and he had to remove it. My mom says she thinks a wider nose looks better actually b/c I have a long narrow face and it sort of "evens it out a little bit". Im not sure if theres any truth behind that statement or if she was just trying to make me feel better! Regardless, the bump is gone and thats what I really hated about the old one!
aw well that's great...I dont understand how your nose would get wider after surgery even though you are swollen but it has been a little while now
hey runnergirl3 when is your surgery? My camera is acting afool right now but I got some new pics for tomorrow--update time! you are not alone---I was nervous too like major anxiety so so worried. The hardest part was going to the bathroom and looking at my old nose right before the surgery (I had to tell it goodbye) I bout lost it right then and there! I dont regret my decision at all
My surgery is this Thursday. That's so funny what you did in the mirror...I've been constantly looking in the mirror and thinking "Well nose, we've only got a few more days together". and of course the thoughts, "What if it ends up worse?", but I don't think it could.
Your nose looks amazing. Your thoughts are all the same thoughts I've had. My husband too says to me, "Your nose is fine, it's what you were born with and it's how we know you." and I'm fairly confident with the rest of me, but I too feel that one, big thing is in the way. Hope I have happy results too, I'm nervous as heck!
You look great! Reading your story is almost funny because mine is basically the exact same. I always thought I was pretty but my "big nose" was in the way, and no one else seemed to quite understand where I was coming from. I'm so happy I went through with surgery and it's good to hear of someone in the same position as I was!
You are beautiful! And your nose is amazing! Thanks for your story, atleast I am not the only one who feels that way. My surgery is in less than a month and I can not wait!
Wow looks VERY natural no wonder why some people didn't even realize it, trust me the last thing you want is for people to be like HEY u got a nose job didn't you? Ive since some bad nose jobs at work and it looks very off and obvious. Ur looks great like you said still looks like your old nose but a cuter version ;]
I agree with above that a small, rounder nose wouldn't fit right on your face. However, you should always talk to your surgeon and be frank if you're not 100% happy, because these surgeries are expensive!! I think you look SO beautiful now and your eyes really pop a lot more. You say you look younger, but how old are you, if you don't mind my asking? I didn't assume you'd be any older than 30
yo im 27! I am happy with my results and Im glad you guys think the "cute little pixie nose" isnt right for me! I guess theres just alot of "whatifs?" involved when you agree to change your face? What will look better this or this? lol Good thing he had done rhinoplasties probably hundreds of times so I just had to trust he knew what looked best on me. Hes pretty good!
thanks guys!!! im so glad to get positve feedback! i will keep you guys updated. my surgeon has me doing more "aggressive" massaging now to get some more of the swelling to go down. He said its supposed to be sore when I finish massing it twice a day. We will see if that helps. I know it just takes time. He told me it would take a year for me! He said some people just swell more than others and some noses hold onto swelling longer. Still happy though! I think i look younger! yay
Wow, your story is mine, but I've not had a nose job yet. I'm 43 and still contimplate it everyday. You look great! I'm happy to have read your story, thanks so much for sharing and posting your photos.

Holy cow, your story could've been my story almost exactly (except that I got my rhinoplasty while I was still single). Though you were pretty before, I totally understand why you got your rhinoplasty. A tiny, cute nose wouldn't look right on your facial structure either. I firmly believe that a straight, sleek nose is much more badass than a perky button anyway. You look great! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and photos here on RealSelf.

No I'm in New York, where everything is ridiculously high!
It's worth a trip to NC if the price is more comfortable tho