Rhinoplasty in New York

I've wanted a prettier nose for most of my...

I've wanted a prettier nose for most of my life. I'm 27 now. I've known a few people that have had rhinoplasty but they were not very good (scooped out look, saddle nose) which turned me off to getting one. I wanted subtle changes, I had a very slight hump and a bulbous tip.

On Monday the 17th I went in for surgery. Today I am post op 4 days. My eyes are VERY bruised and my face is VERY swollen. The doctors office said this was on the worse end of the spectrum for swelling and bruising which is disheartening because I wouldn't mind going out in public if my face didn't look so scary. Anyone else experience this? I hope it will resolve when I get my cast off Tues. as I've been avoiding everyone...

Other than that being stuffed up and sleeping propped up is the other worse part.

will update

10/26/11 Had my cast off yesterday. Was a...

10/26/11

Had my cast off yesterday. Was a pretty intense whirlwind of emotions. I'm trying to not jump to conclusions because I know I'm very swollen (in the face as well). I'm trying to be patient. I don't love it yet but I can see all the structure is there and I think once the swelling goes down a bit it will be great. I don't understand how some people look great after a week, I still look like a semi hit me! I hope this is helpful for anywhere else going through rhinoplasty recovery. I woke up this morning depressed and freaked out. I haven't told many people because I thought I would recover after a week and go out in public and be fine (naive). I've been hiding from friends because I was hoping I would look normal. Today I told about 4 good friends I was avoiding. They have all been very supportive and want to come over and visit. I'm not sure when I will be ready to "go out"(I usually go out 3+ times a week). It may be another two weeks. I did see two friends last night and they asked my boyfriend if I had gotten something done. So they DID notice. But I think it was more that my face looked strange and puffy than my actual nose.

Physically my nose is pretty stuffy, my bones ache a little bit and the skin on my nose looks so strange. I have a lot of bruising even in my cheeks. I am of greek/syrian jewish/eastern european descent fyi. My nose has a little bit of feeling but not much. I think in a month or two or hopefully even a few weeks I will be very happy for now I'm just trying to be patient. I would love to hear people's comments and similar experiences and to find out when most of their swelling went down and they were able to feel comfortable in public.

Also if anyone was interested in what was done- I had the hump shaved down (you can't even tell the bridge was brought down yet probably from the swelling), the bones were fractured, the cartilage was trimmed, i have spreader grafts and a graft in my tip, the tip was rotated, and the muscle that pulls the tip down was snipped.

I forgot to add, I also had my septum straightened!

I forgot to add, I also had my septum straightened!

12 days post op, nose is still looking very...

12 days post op, nose is still looking very strange but I think the swelling is going down slowly, I can see the progress most when I look at my nostrils. I started taking arnica montana tabs just to see if it will help. I still have uneven swelling. I'm trying to keep myself busy and to not stare in the mirror! I will update with pictures at 3 weeks.

I had my 3 weeks post op yesterday. Everything...

I had my 3 weeks post op yesterday. Everything seems to be healing well. I can pretty much breath although it does get clogged with snot pretty often and I can't blow my nose until 4 weeks. The swelling as gone down a lot, I still have a ways to go though. Overall I'm becoming more and more happy with the results. My doc showed me my nose was actually crooked pre op I had no idea! My right nostril is slowly becoming the same size as my left. Smile isn't normal yet but getting better. the soreness and stiffness gets better everyday too. I have dark brown circles under my eyes that apparently go away gradually up to 6 months or so. Also my skin has broken out horribly from surgery but I'm getting it under control with aha, benzoyl peroxide, and a clarisonic brush. The things they don't tell you about surgery! Also my ears are swollen from being repaired and will also take months to settle.

I had my one month, or rather 5 week post op this...

I had my one month, or rather 5 week post op this tues. I did a lot of flying and traveling the past two weeks and felt like my nose was swollen the whole time. I have some asymmetry with swelling but tonight all of a sudden a lot of the swelling went down and my nostrils look a little more even. I also had a lymphatic drainage massage on tues and it could be due to that (which would be helpful to know). Two weeks ago I went to dinner with my best friend I've known since 2nd grade and my other friend and neither noticed or said anything. I'm liking the new nose a lot as it continues to improve.

I just had my 6 month post op check up. I'm very...

I just had my 6 month post op check up. I'm very happy now with the way things are healing/settling. I was pretty worried for months, my nose looked really strange and I had dark circles under my eyes that took a very long time to go away. I feel GREAT and more importantly I feel like I look great. There is slight asymmetry but I think it may have been there before and is just more noticeable to me now. The more the swelling subsides the more everything looks balanced. The initial healing phase- first few months are not fun and I didn't feel like being seen in public, but once you get past that you barely remember how horrible it was, kind of like having the flu. Overall I'm very pleased and wish I had done it sooner but feel I chose the right surgeon.

It's been over a year since my surgery. In...

It's been over a year since my surgery. In retrospect it went by very fast but I would NOT want to go through the healing again (unless I'm deserted tropical island for 3 months). I have slight asymmetry which maybe only be noticeable to me and it's not enough to want fix it, if it even is fixable. Overall I'm still very happy with the result. I feel like me, but a much better version of me.

In need of Revision!

So after mouth breathing at night probably since I had my rhinoplasty I went to an ENT. My septum is badly deviated on both sides and left side is nearly shut. After all the swelling went down I have some pinching in the tip, basically because too much cartilage was removed. I also have a bump on the bridge. My nostrils are very asymmetric. I am mainly going in for surgery again so I can breath but will be addressing the aesthetics as well which will also help my breathing. I'm not sure if I can totally blame my original surgery but my septum is a mess. Hopefully this time around won't be so bad because it doesn't involve bone work.
Austin Plastic Surgeon

Did you have any nasal problems before surgery or was it for cosmetic reasons? Your nose looks so amazing now! But reading the aftermath of surgery - even 2 years later is very scary!! Did your PS have a lot experience with rhinos?
Hi, I honestly can't remember I had breathing problems before! I know my nose was definitely crooked. My PS was very dismissive and I think is best known for her boob jobs. In retrospect I would have chosen someone who was an ent and a nose specialist. I think I just really wanted to get it done and felt ashamed about it like I had to keep it a secret. I no longer feel that way. I am actually looking forward to the revision and am not scared at all!
I guess it's the risk when undergoing surgery - a friend of mine who had rhino has lost her sense of smell, and it's been around 8 years! Great to hear you're positive about revision - my PS told me that it's VERY common - 1 in 7 (for him) for rhino revision. Yeah at first I was embarrassed to tell anyone - once you do you can see them checking out your nose more! And yes definitely basing my PS on their rhino experience and cosmetic experience! All the best finding a better suited surgeon!
we have the exact same before nose. like, uncanny. i'm sorry to hear about your tribulations, i wish you the best in a revision. the plus side is that you look great! i haven't had surgery yet, but i've been on these boards long enough (like 7 years, oy) to know some doctor names who are supposedly revision experts. do you know who will be doing your revision?
I have a pre-op with Michael Bublik, he is an ENT which I am happy about. If pre-op goes well I will go with him. I met with already. I don't need much cosmetic work done, mainly just some cartilage in the tip to hold up the shape.
Sorry you are having problems. I think your photos are amazing and I actually have a very similar nose as your before pics- profile and front view. I hope my results are as nice also. I hope things work out for you and your breathing problems are fixed.
So sorry you are now dealing with complications! Do take your time researching revision specialists. If your septum is a mess when it was not before, and too much cartilage was removed... basically you got more bad than good out of the surgery, which should never happen. I hope you find someone you can trust. It could be helpful to especially research doctors who do grafting in their surgeries on a regular basis- even in primary cases, not just revisions. Good luck!
PS- Thank you for coming back and updating. It has been 2 years since your procedure, is that right? And at a year post you seemed happy and without complications. How long after did you start experiencing issues? Thanks again because it is so important that people realize you are not always "in the clear" a year out from a procedure that you think is worth it.
I found Michael Bublik in Glendale. He seems great and I have a pre-op the 17th. He's the second ENT I talked to about this. I think I have a good amount of cartilage in my nose, if not he will take it from my ear.
I think I always had breathing issues I just didn't really pay attention or take time acknowledge them. I was happy because my nose looked better with swelling and the bump and pinching showed up a bit later. I still think the procedure was worth it but I should have done better research the first time around and gone to a nose specialist and ENT. My face was so badly bruised and swollen. What I need done is pretty minor. The bridge looks good and I have good tip rotation. I'm think the surgery will go well. Overall the appearance isn't too bad but I'm fixing a few things because I have to get my breathing fixed anyways.
Well it's awesome that you are getting a revision and from what you explain, it will go very well Ixam sure. Ugh I hate the pinching, too... if not for that I'd just deal with the other stuff. Hope you get to breathe soon :)
This looks amazing. I wish I could come up with 11gs for the same procedure!
Great pics! You look so pretty. I like your retro/classic look. Thinking of getting my tip done. Thank you for sharing:)
Hey Again! How long would you say it took for your tip to resolve? more or less.... I'm 4 weeks post op and freaking. OUT!
Ouch, quite a long time, I would say months. Don't freak out. Really it took 3 or 4 months to start feeling more normal.
It's unfortunately one of those surgeries that is a bit of a road to recovery. At least for me it was.
YOU LOOK LIKE A DIFFERENT PERSON! You look so beautiful!
Adorable nose to go with your vintage look! Sophisticated, but cute at the same time = very lucky you!
Looks greats! Your bruising looked painful :(
Gorgeous results! Congrats. It seems like improvements are seen so soon but is it tough waiting for the swelling to fully subside? Do you have any tips for people who are struggling with swelling, brusing,etc that hangs around for some time?
Wow, what an amazing transformation. You were beautiful before but now you are stunning!!!!!! Your nose is sooo cute. it's perfect!
I didn't have a bump after rhinoplasty and don't 7 months later. It seems that when someone does have one after its due to swelling or inadequate removal of the bump. Either way you have to wait a year before doing anything about it.
I don't understand why we cannot contacct member profiles that have posted problems similar to ours to communicate results or outcomes. For example I SEARCHED: "bump after rhinoplasty on nasal bone" and I found many people members with the same issue after rhinoplasty. Doctors repeating the same answers, but no one has posted folow up on weather the bump goes away or not.
Does the bump go away eventually? Coulld anyway who had this problem please post their outcome?
I agree.
i will let you know what happens with my bumps after time passes...
So glad I stumbled upon your profile! I too must be a slow healer because I got my cast off yesterday and so much bruising and swelling under there. Although I see an immediate difference in my profile view, from front on my nose looks way bigger !! Very frustrating, but I am excited now from seeing how well yours turned out :)