Loving Retin A (Tretinoin)

I have been using Tretinoin for the past 9 months....

I have been using Tretinoin for the past 9 months. I have really been pleased with the results. I had a facelift, brow lift and fat transfer last November. I asked my Plastic Surgeon what is the best thing I can do to maintain the results and he said use Retin A/Tretinoin.

I have some skin on my face that looks a little crepe like. The Tretinoin has noticeably helped improve the appearance and texture of this area. People have been telling me that my skin looks great.

The Tretinoin does dry out the skin. I found a really good hydrating serum that has helped with this. I think avoiding the sun, using the Tretinoin and a good moisturizer will help my skin keep looking its best.

I am so glad I am using the Tretinoin.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I have had 3 surgeries with Dr. C. Each time I have loved the results. I couldn't be more happy with my experiences. I highly recommend Dr. C.

Retin A has been great for my crepeyness. I use a Cetaphil face wash and a vitamin C moisturizer/serum and sun cream first thing. I use Retin-A alternative nights and Cetophil moisturizer on the nights I don't use the Retin-A.
Thanks Donna. I use only sun protection during the morning and moisturizer at night on my neck.
Hello, I am 44 and do you recommend a certain brand of a moisturizer?

Laura E.
Misty, thank you for all the advice on skin care, but what I would like to know is, when did you start using Retin A? Did you start using it immediately after you had your Fat transfer surgery or did you have to wait awhile and if so how long after, did you start on it? I notice you've had 2 Fat transfers, so when exactly did you start on Retin A?

Hi Lauraerr

I am sorry, I didn't see thie post until now.  I didn't mean to ignore you.

Consumer Reports had an article on skin care creams and it recommended using anything with Retin A or Retinal A. It gave Neutogena and ROC high ratings.  If you are using prescription Retin A/Tretinoin cream then you don't Retinal in your skin care cream and you should just go with a good moisturizer.

I have been using Vivite night time moisturizing cream and I have been pleased with that.

Hi Shobi

I started using Tretinoin/Retina A about 5 months after my first fat transfer.  It wasn't due to a required wait time or anything.  I just asked my plastic surgeon what the best thing I could do to maintain my results and keep my skin looking good and he suggested the Tretinoin/Retin A cream.

I also read about Retin A in Consumer Reports and it did agree that Retin A is the best thing that you can do for your skin.

I hope that helps.
Thanks Misty for your reply. Yes that is helpful, but I am just 3 weeks after a fat transfer and I was wondering if I could start on Tretinoin/RetinA cream immediately to maintain the texture and tone of my skin, as it looks so fresh now and I don't want to lose it. Maybe I should start on it immediately. Thanks again.
Sorry Misty, one more thing that I forgot to ask you was, you say that you started on RetinA 5 months after your 1st Fat transfer, so did you continue using after that
immediately after your 2nd Fat transfer as well?
HI, I just know checked my email. Thank you for the reply and I will check out the Consumer Report. Where can I get the Vivite cream?

Some doctors offices carry Vivite or you can get it online. Their moisturizer is the BEST I have every used.
Well, it sure looks like it works so I wouldn't change a thing. One other question. do you use it on your neck/decouage area or just the face.
I have quite a routine. First I wash my face with Vivate moisturizin cleanser. Every 2 days or so I use an exfoliating scrub with a buff puff. Then I use an alcohol free toner to make sure all of the make-up is removed

Then I wait about 10 minutes when my face is dry to put on the tretinoin cream. Then I follow-up with Vivate nightly renewal cream with glycolic acid. The Vivate hydrating cream and finish off with the Vivate eye cream.

Some of this is probably redundant, but so my results are good so I keep doing it.
can you post your nightly routine in order..
example.

wash face with___
wait ___ mins apply retin a
apply ???? cream
apply ??? cream

etc...

thanks for the info. a girl can use all the help she can get.
Thanks megan! Im on week 3 I broke out a little, but I think that's what's supposed to happen. My skin is irritated around my mouth, but im going to stick with it also. I feel like it will be worth the wait. My friends mother has been using it for 15 years and she has amazing skin. She doesn't have a single wringle on her face

Yeah, there are a ton of people who swear by it - fingers crossed our skin will get used to it & it will be the same for us!!! :)

I m on my day 3 of retina and I am wondering what to expect no pealing yet I am expecting great looking skin please comment. I am using for fine wrinkles i am early 40s Thanks !

As for my experience, I haven't noticed the great changes many other people note. I had about 6 weeks of bad breakouts, followed by going back to where my skin was before I started. As I mentioned above I'm now using it every other night. I certainly don't blame the Retin-A though, my skin has always been problematic. My sister has been using it for a couple of years & her skin looks great! I'll keep using it, hoping as my skin continues to get used to it I will see more improvement.

I hope you have wonderful results!!! :)

Hi BostonGalToo

From what my doctor says and from what I read in Consumer Reports Magazine Retin A (or Tretinoin Cream) is one of the best things you can do to keep you skin looking its best. If you get redness it is usually temporary and you can use hydrocortisone cream to help with the redness. Get a good moisturizer to help with the dryness. I use a buff puff to help exfoliate the dry skin. Good luck.
Hi, I am about 2 months into using Tretiniun and see great results, I've had many comments that your skin looks great! So happy it's exactly what I needed. I also moisturize throughout the day. Just wanted to update.
pinkpamper, a while can vary by the person. Some people are more sensitive to retin A than others. I would say your skin can be irritated for 2 weeks to 2 months.

Consumer Reports did a study on skin care and their results show that using a prescription retin A or treinoin cream is the very best thing you can do to keep your skin looking it best.

You must be careful and protect yourself from the sun. Retin A can make you more prone to sunburn. Wear SPF 30 on your face whenever going out. Good luck

I think I must be one of the more sensitive people. I've been using it for a little over 2 months & had to cut back to every other night max. My skin was getting really irritated & was peeling a lot, so I was getting a little raw on my cheeks. Since I've cut back the use I seem to be tolerating it much better.

Misty, when you say a while... how long is a while?
Hi Pink

Your skin may be red and blotchy for a while, but your skin will get used to it and the redness should diminish. You can use Hydrocortizone cream to help with the redness the first 10 days. When your skin is peeling that means the Retin A is working and your skin is regenerating. It is important to exfoliate every few days to slough off the flaking skin. Then use a very good moisturizer. After washing your face give it 10 - 15 minutes before putting on the Retin A.

I have been using Retin A for about a year and I love it. It is the best thing I can do for my skin.
Yes, I just started using it 4 days ago. I don't have bad acne, im using it for skin rejuvination and anti aging. I do have very mild acne. My skin was totally clear after 2 days of using retin A. However the third day my corners of my mouth got insanely chapped. I wasnt aware that you are not supposed to get it close to your lips and corners of your nose. Luckily I am a stay at home mom and I was able to nourish my face with lotions and creams all day yesterday. My corners are still chapped, but way better. My skim just started peeling and is red and blotchy in some places. Also I think I might start breaking out (which is part of the 2 week introduction process). Hopefully I don't look like a freak on thanksgiving :) have you had any clearing up since?
Today ill be starting 0.05% retin , i was wondering do i have to rinse my face an hour afterwards? Can i put on a moisterizer an hour after i have applied retin?