Restylane for Under Eye Hollowness

After suffering for a few years hearing that I...

After suffering for a few years hearing that I looked tired all the time I thought long and hard about getting this done. After reading alot of the reviews I was very nervous about the results with bruising and swelling. I shouldn't have been. It went great. He numbed me up with some cream for about 15 minutes before the injections. It seemed like he stuck me about 10-50 times under each eye! Some of them I felt but it was bearable like a pinch.

After I was iced, I was handed a mirror. I was shocked but not surprised by a few stick bruises. The ugly ditch under my eyes was gone! Yeah. Now we'll see how long it lasts. He used a full syringe on me so no left overs. It's been about 3 hours since I've had it done.

Looks great so far. He told me to use Arnica for the next week until I see him again and to use ice today as much as I can. I also took Quercetin with Bromelain caps on my own a few days before I went. I got up some Arnica gel to use too. I wanted to be prepared as much as I could. ")

I'll also be sleeping with my head abit elevated tonight. I'll be updating to give current results as I go.

Update: August 2011 Well I'm amazed and still...

Update: August 2011
Well I'm amazed and still very happy with the results. So far I have not had anymore injections since the 1st time I went! That's 2 1/2 years! It's still holding up perfectly. I see no decrease at all. The area is still not hollow at all. If I pull down the skin I can see the Restylane under my skin still. I have noticed that if I do any crying sometimes the next day I have a good size bag under the eye that had some "extra" injected into on my recheck from my initial visit. He told me that it when he added more that sometimes it can create a bag instead of just filling in the area. He was right but it's not bad at all and doesn't bug me unless I do some crying and it swells up. Can't say enough how happy I am about doing this and I'm SO grateful to Dr Sandy Sule. Because of him I can breath (He did surgery on my sinuses) and don't look tired all the time from getting the Restylane injections.
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi. No, my doctor did not charge "extra" for the touch up. I still would ask before setting up the appt just so there is no surprises for you ;) Not sure if he told you or not but I would at least wait a good week or more until getting anymore injected. Letting everything get settled in and all the swelling and or bruising be gone is wise before loading up on more. I too hope it lasts for you. Mine is still holding up and it's been 3 years and 3 months. And I'm sure surprised and happy about that!
Hi and thanks for your review and updates! I just had my first treatment yesterday. I like it, so far. I was wondering if there was a charge for the "touch up" treatment? My doctor said that if I wasnt completely happy with it, he would fix it. I like it and I have some swelling, so its hard to tell, but I feel like I may need a little extra under one eye. Did your doctor charge you? Just wondering. Thanks and I hope mine lasts as long as yours!
Wow! You look fantastic! :)
Thanks, kinda wish id done the 2 now but thats ok..my left eye is a bit soar and swollen but it looks bettet than the right eye
I think it wise to go less than more. Let everything settle and then recheck. Keep the ice off and on and try and sleep with your head elevated for tonight. Please keep us posted on your progress :)
went good...she recommended 2 syringes but i just did one because it was my first time and i want to be gradual. It didnt hurt but I will go back for the other syringe sometime..its an improvement but deff need 2
Let us know how it goes for you. I had my done two months ago by a well known plastic surgeon. Looked good after two weeks then on eye got really puffy under it, I had a bag double the size it was before the filler, looked like someone hit me. Had to go back twice to have them dissolve some of the filler. I guess I have some improvement with the filler but I may think twice before going back. Paid $550/ in St. Louis MO.
ohh nooooo!
Cray, I'm wondering who did you go to for fillers in St. Louis? I am considering going to a well known plastic surgeon in St. Louis for fillers in the tear troughs also and I would like to know who you went to.
Do you know why you had one eye and not the other get really puffy? Maybe an allergic reaction?
Im getting it done Friday, Im excited!
Happy for you! Hope all goes well :)

Hey squeaker,

Good info for Cray. I would also have to agree that your skin would most likely be a little "upset" after having something injected into it, but based on the community, feels better after a few days. Sometimes too Dr.'s forget to tell their patients what to expect after, and it seems the possible pain, anxiety, stress and after effects often combine causing more worry, so posts like this are great. :)

Thanks so much,

-Britt

Hi Cray, Can't say that I really had any puffiness but did have busing pricks marks from the injections. I did have some redness and my skin felt warm to the touch like I had a very mild reaction but no real swelling. The area just appeared "filled" in. Did your doctor say anything about you massaging the area or using ice packs past the first day? All of the reaction and prick marks where gone by a week. I did take Quercetin with Bromelain capsules a few days before and after the injections as I had read that it really helps with inflammation. I would suggest always taking your concerns to your doctor and ask him. But I think it's normal for your skin to react some after having something injected in such a sensitive area to have some kind of reaction for a while. It's only been 4 days post for you. Again please keep us updated on your results. Best Regards, Squeaker
Hi! I'm interested in getting Restylane for the hollows under my eyes and my laugh lines. How do I find a good doctor? The only local dr I found is a board certified family practice physician.
Just had tear through procedure 3days ago...I did it without the dental block...no big deal...a little sting that's it. My eyes are still a bit swollen and red where the injections went but Im at work and no one has mentioned anything (used concealer) I can see the difference already and Im sure it just gets better with time.
Hi Cray,
Hope you are as happy with the results as I have been. It's been two years and 8 months for me and I've not needed any more "work/injections" done. I'm very happy. Keep us posted :)
Just wanted to know....How long does the puffiness last...I’m on day 4 and still a bit swollen and have red marks where the injections went. I went to a very well known and respected plastic surgeon for this but I’m getting concerned.

Hi Cray,

Some community members have mentioned puffiness and redness lasting up to two weeks. However, in our doctor Q&A there was a question about Restylane side effects and Dr. Bryan K. Chen mentions how long the puffiness usually lasts. Hope that helps, hope to see a review :)

Thanks,

-Britt

Hi Capca, Welcome to RealSelf. A good place to start is the Boston Restylane doctor directory, which also has reviews from RealSelf members in Boston.
Hi I'm new in this site. I would like some names of good doctors and affordable in Boston area. Thanks
Hi, I was wondering the same thing? What doctor did you use in Dallas as I live in this area?
I was wondering if you are still happy with the results of your Restylane injections. I am scheduled to have it this week but not sure if I want to go through with it!!!
Am interested in your progress. How is the restylane progressing? Are you still seeing a positive difference? When I look in a mirror all I see are the troughs! I sleep on my face, so am afraid that that could ruin the effects of a filler. Also, did you go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist?
Yes, I am happy. I went to a plastic surgeon who is very conservative. I had just a little in my lips, I didn't want to do too much, but I plan to go back for more in my lips since I had Restylane left over. I sleep on my face a lot too. I tried to sleep on my back the first night though. I asked the PS about this, he said I could sleep anyway I wanted and to go about my business as usual. I took Arnica pills (from health food store) 2 days prior and 2 days after, so I had hardly no bruising or swelling. I had no bumps or lumps that other people spoke of. Make sure you get a "dental block" and you will feel no pain at all.I have seen people say it will last 3-6 months. My PS said 9 months to a year. Good luck and let me know how you like it.