Heavy Black Tattoo Removal on my Inner Leg

I started on my tattoo the day after I turned 18....

I started on my tattoo the day after I turned 18. I went to a reputable shop with a great artist who had a great portfolio. The first half of my tattoo that he did is amazing and I love it (outer leg) but I got too excited and immediately went in a couple weeks later to get the inside of my leg finished. Well my artist kept on telling me "oh just trust me, I'm the artist it will look good" anytime I had input on what MY tattoo should look like. But seeing as though he was the PROFESSIONAL artist I believe that he would do an amazing job, as he did with my outer leg, and I trusted him to do what he wanted with my idea. Well, basically he f*cked up on the most important part of the tattoo. I told him I wanted 3 beautiful demon girls to be "tempting" the buddha (outer leg tat) because it is a story in buddhism about when the buddha was enlightened. and he came up with the idea that they should be dancing behind flames as silhouettes.(why I thought this was a great idea is beyond me). The flames ended up looking really really cool it's just the girls that look like sh*t. 2 of them look like dark black blocks that somewhat have the features of women while the other one looks so stupid I can't even compare it to anything because it looks like nothing!
So I'm very very very lucky to have close family friends that work at a Plastic Surgery medical spa that specialize in tattoo removal! So I've decided I am going to remove just the 3 girls from my leg and cover it up with either a large dragon or phoenix piece (maybe something different, not sure yet) to incorporate the flames that are already there.
What I want to know is how successful the removal of the dark dark black part of my tattoo will be? And will I be able to cover it up after a couple sessions.
Oh and Thank you all for the stories! I am glad I'm not alone in this whole ordeal

Has anybody dealt with black this dark?

I was wondering if anybody in this community has dealt with tattoo removal on a dark dark black tattoo? I have 2 questions for you!
How long did it take to get the black to fade enough for a cover-up?
Will the fact that my tattoo is fairly new affect to removal process?
Thank you!

Super nervous about this whole process

I want to hurry up and start it already but my tattoo is still too new for the laser. I just can't stand looking at it anymore. I want to cover it up so bad, and I've found an artist who will do it, a very good artist . Has anyone dealt with this much black in a cover up? How many sessions am I looking at here?

Went in today for a small test spot

My tattoo is still relatively new so I went in to do a really small test spot today to see how my skin will react. The pain wasn't unbearable, but it definitely hurt a lot more than getting a tattoo. You can see the spot at the feet of the girl and a small area of shading near the girl
Reno Plastic Surgeon

my dense black, which I had a lot of, all reacted differently. some started to break up and fade immediately. I got 5 treatments on a full sleeve with lots of black and have been getting a cover up already. on my other arm which is all dense black, ill need atleast another treatment (making it 6 on that arm) for a cover up. I think if I wasn't a smoker and took better care of myself I could have had everything covered up after 4 treatments though. good luck..
Thank you for the comment! That's really good to hear actually! Do you have any pictures of your cover up? I looked on your profile and I couldn't find them! But I've been thinking around 6 sessions will probably remove enough of this to where I can cover it up!
I used to have the pictures up of before, during, after, and start of cover up. this place bums me out, so I took them down. ill send you some of my pictures later on today to your message box.
Ok! May I ask why this place bums you out? It is reassuring to me to see a community that supports each other through a difficult process! But that would be cool thanks
its too anti-tattoo; "tattoos are bad and I must get rid of them now that im an adult", the same guilt trip as researching anywhere else removal on the internet takes you on. or the doctors on here and people influenced by them are just horrible. also, refuse to participate in getting tattooed/tattooed removal as some sort of "pop culture sensation".. other than that if I were starting my journey out again id stick around here for the support of some great people..
i have dense black, 3 sessions and not much fading, will need at least 4-5 more . you should need about 6-8 in total for cover up, also using a revlite
Hopefully 8 at the most! But that's not too bad! I know it's gunna suck but I look forward to getting this thing covered up! Thanks
theres no way this dude had a great portfolio.. what the public thinks is great is not, check my thread to see my new tattoos and what proper "great" work should look like. this dark od black will fade but be super painful. just enjoy the journey and i recommend starting new tattoos to take away from the waiting game with laser!
He had a great portfolio for what I was looking for. Semi-traditional Japanese and had actually traveled to japan and lived there for a while to learn how to tattoo that style. Like I said the other side is amazing and I'm very happy with it, he just f*cked up super bad on the inside of my leg. Not trying to defend the guy but I went to him after months of researching other artists in my area and he was by far one of the best. I checked your thread and yes, while your new tattoos are done very very well, it doesn't mean the "public" thinks that colorful realism is "great." Everybody has different opinions about what "great" is and my outer tattoo is wonderful. I wish my artist wouldn't have dropped the ball on this tattoo because it could have been amazing had he done it as well as my outer leg!! Thank you for your insight though! I can't wait to start on the removal process and get it covered up with something far better! Do you know of any really good realism/Japanese style artists that could help me cover this up? I think I'm going to cover it up with Fudo-Myoo. Thanks again
Yes I know plenty just let me know where you are from tattoos are my life I love Japanese art as well
I'm currently living in Reno,NV! But I'm more than willing to travel to Cali or somewhere decently near by for an amazing artist!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Wow both of those artists are absolutely incredible. If only I knew about them before I got this piece of sh*t on the inside of my leg!!! Do you know if they will do cover ups at all? I am going to email them soon and ask if they can help me out in a few months after I get this removed enough to cover it up. But I might just head down to get another tattoo while I'm waiting for my removal process!
I am also having a brand new dense black tattoo removed. They said because it is newer it will be tougher to remove but quoted me 6 sessions with picosure- the new laser that works faster than old lasers. I want mine completely removed so it will obviously take longer than yours. My first apt to begin treatment isn't until June 2 but I will be posting updates and such. Good luck!
Oh wow only 6? That's awesome. The place I am going to has the Revlite SI laser which is still really good and they said it should take about 6 sessions or less to get it where I can cover it up well! They also said they might be getting a picosure which would, of coarse, make the process quicker! Thank you for the comment! Good luck!
Welcome to the Community, I am really glad you took the time to share with us, so many of us can relate! I did the same thing as you, I trusted my artist so much and thought he understood me but instead I ended up with a mess on my back - I am on laser session 9 and ready for a cover up, just taking my time to decide what's best. I love the concept of your tattoo...very interesting, it's a shame he didn't do it to your satisfaction, but your new one will be awesome so look forward to that! Good luck and please keep us posted :)
Thank you for the reassuring words! I have been so down lately because of this tattoo and thinking that there was absolutely nothing I could do but I found this site and read all the stories and it made me feel a lot better knowing that I can get great results with a laser and that there is an entire community of people going through it as well! I will keep you posted as soon as I get my first session! Thanks again