Pixel Laser Ruined my Life

I had a baby in July of 2013....happiest day and...

I had a baby in July of 2013....happiest day and months of my life. Until December of 2013. I thought I would finally follow through with a round of laser treatments as I have had two Fraxels done in the past but never in succession like derms recommend for the best results. Well I had pretty good skin good skin the begin with, flawless actually with the exception of a few shallow pock mark type scars under my cheekbones. The doctor decided to "treat" my whole cheek since he wanted everything to be "uniform" even tho I had perfect healthy skin everywhere else.
Having had two Fraxels prior with no issues and not finding negative reviews when researching fraxel years ago, I had no idea of how bad of an idea this was. He treated the entire cheek, on both sides. My whole face pretty much.
Three weeks after my laser I noticed my skin was a grey color. It didn't flush anymore or have a healthy glow. A week after that I noticed the few scars I had getting deeper. I cancelled my next appt immediately and began making appts to try to figure out why my skin was getting worse. I was dumbfounded. How could my skin get worse?
Having prior laser tattoo and hair removal I thought lasers were gods gift and could do virtually no harm.
Then my world came crashing down. I found a support group and all of the negative reviews and how I had done irreversible damage to my skin that could possibly continue for years to come. My fat started melting away. My face and lips started to sag. My skin scarred more and more. It's wrinkled like an old woman and I am 27. Most recently (since about 4-5 months out) my skin became covered in holes. Like a million open pores but they are deep scars. They are so visible in the sun that I dread being seen in the daylight. I am heartbroken to say the least. I have no confidence left.
My son's first birthday is tomorrow and here I am writing this review. A year ago at this time I was a completely different person, on top of the world. As happy as I had ever been. I felt blessed. Now I am depressed, angry, self conscious and horribly traumatized.
Please do not take the risk. It is not worth it and the doctors that perform these procedures without informing patients of these risks should have to pay for this.

Worth noting

I took about a month long coarse of prednisone to see if maybe it could still help. Well it made my skin a lot worse bug I am really hoping that it just brang the inflammation down and that this is the worst it's gonna get. Wishful thinking I know. I am so tired of being tormented by this. It's no way to live and I don't wish this on my worst enemy.

No improvements. Starting accutane soon.

Hi everyone :) so prednisone was def not a good idea! Skin looks 10x worse but I am still hopeful. I will be starting a long course of low dose accutane soon. Hopefully it will all work out. Trying to stay positive.
Dr. Pechman

I went to Dr. Pechman three weeks after my procedure and told him something was wrong. He blew me off. I found out later that if you end up having an adverse reaction to a laser procedure you can be saved if intervention is taken early enough. Within the first month at least. Why do these doctors not take this seriously and try to help when a patient comes in and says something is wrong? He could have saved my face. It's so sad.

Thanks tortuga. I've educated myself about accutane for a few months now and yes I do have acne because of the laser....I have what's called comedones covering my face. I am on minocycline rite now and that seems to work a little. The laser changed the way my skin functions completely and the pores are always clogged. I had baby smooth skin prior with a few shallow acne scars under my cheekbones. The "pores" you see are actually laser holes that didn't heal. I suspect anyway. I am hoping accutane can restructure my skin as it has for others with laser damage and improved some of their damage. I am hoping a low dose can negate some of the severe side effects. I can't use a clarisonic or even cerave because my skin reacts to everything I do. The scars get deeper and my skin gets very irritated. My lips have even been effected. I just put chapstick on and they burn. It's a nightmare and accutane has been my only hope. Thanks for your concern.
Im very sorry that your going through this. Im glad that you are doing the research and actively addressing the issues. Please keep your head up and remain confident that this is going to pass. As much as it seems to be permanent truly its not. Its only temporary. A positive mind, eating healthy, and exercising will keep you on the right track. I know its not easy but your loved and the beauty inside shows. its going to start showing on the outside with alot of patience :) Sounds like your going for a more aggressive approach due to the mild results of the minocycline. let me know how the accutane goes. What are using externally on your skin?
Awww that is so sweet Tortuga. That really made me feel a little better. I cope with things by being a little delusional and acting like ppl don't see the damage, indoors anyway but sometimes I catch ppl staring and that hurts because it's very obvious they see it. I stay out of mirrors also. It's a good way to avoid heartbreak at any given moment. I currently use a natural argon oil and acai (sp?) Honey face wash and organic sunscreen and that's pretty much it. It's funny because prior to this I was a makeup artist and LOVED getting made up everyday. It was part of who I was and that is no longer. I am interested in dermarolling too but I am scared of it. I am also scared of accutane but feel I have very limited options and it seems to have worked miracles for two other ppl. I would be a guinea pig and see if it works for me too. I really hope a lower dose is a little safer believe me! Thank u everyone for all of ur kind comments and advice. I really appreciate it.
I would just like to remind you that when u take accutane you must not do any dermarolling or ANYTHING else to your skin during and for 6 months afterward. Your skin will react entirely differently and you may scar even more. Accutane is a committment to do no other modalities for about a year all together. Having said that, accutane can shrink your pores dramatically, as I have experienced, and can give a much smoother appearance but as u said, it will not change your scars. And PLEEEEESE use birth control as the effects on the unborn are horrendous. Best of luck whatever u choose.
Thank u. I was planning on waiting for at least a year post accutane to do anything just to be safe but it's good to know i have a few options such as fillers and dermarolling to try to address some of the deeper scars the laser has left me with. I wanted to ask about your accutane experiance as well. My derm tells me accutane wont address large pores but I have had ppl tell me it does. Did u find this to be perm? Did the overall texture of ur skin change for the better? What dose were u on and how long did u take accutane? Thank u in advance for all my questions. I have a ton right now.
I started out on 40mg but then it was reduced because my liver enzymes became elevated. This is one reason why they check your blood. My experience was a very positive one. Yes, it did shrink my pores and i will tell u why the doctors may say differently. Technically the pores are not changing in size BUT once all the sebum is drained out of them they go back to their normal size instead of being like a green olive with a pimento in it, if u know what I mean! My skin became MUCH smoother and in places where my skin was already good, the skin looked perfect. I have a good feeling about your results also for a couple of reasons. 1) u had good skin originally as I did 2) I think u said you had comedones and they will shrink right up as soon as the sebum dries up I think u have a very good chance of being happy with your skin again. My results lasted several years and then I went on it again not so much becuz I needed it as I wanted that perfect look again. You will get VERY DRY inside your nose and your lips but really? who cares when u r getting better skin...that is something u can live with. What u cannot live with is a deformed baby so AGAIN I cannot say enough about using birth control(more than one form is better) and WAITING even after u stop taking the accutane for another year before trying. If u cannot tell yet I am in the medical field. Pls let me know how u do. I care.
Yeah my derm said the skin will appear much smoother and the pores will seem smaller but once u stop taking it it will go back. So for you this seemed to be true as well? Did u have laser damage as well? I ask because u mentioned u once had good skin. I am also in the medical field! Thank u so much for your advice. It helps a lot.
I had perfect skin until I was in my twenties. Then I started to break out from stress. I know now that if I had left my skin alone it would have healed and gone back to it's normal state of being as my mother still has beautiful skin at 85 years old. But I am a picker and a perfectionist and I look in magnifying mirrors and I seek medical modalities. If a new laser procedure came out I was the first on line. I have had countless laser procedures for scarring and acne. I never got a result as u r describing as much as I received no result at all but I believe I have weakened the structure of my skin, not to mention exhausting it. If I knew how to I would post a picture. lol Again, I think u will be happy with the Accutane results. Everyone is different. I know people who never needed accutane after the first time and I know people who go on it over and over again. Let me know when u start and what mg he/she gives you.
I was breastfeeding and have a hx of an autoimmune disease....which I know now are contraindications for laser. I am one of the lucky ones who experienced devastating side effects....Most of which were never mentioned to me whether it be in an 'informed consent' or otherwise. It truly is illegal. Anywho I won't get started on that again. The derm I saw is letting me start at 10mg and I plan on keeping close to that dose for a longer amount of time. Thanks u for all of ur input and I will most def keep everyone updated on my results.
Just curious LMS0822...what blog did u read and find the info that accutane has helped people after laser mishaps?
I found it here first but didn't take it seriously and then again from someone else on the ipl and laser damage forum. Sad sad place. It's helped me so much.
I dont recommend taking accutane. In many cases people suffer long term severe intestinal damage. Im not understanding why would you take an internal medication for scars and large pores. Did you develope a cystic acne? I've read over what you said and dont see where you have a acne problem. The best thing that you can do for your skin #1 is get a good quality "not a generic" Clarisonic face brush. Get it from the manufacturer to ensure that you have a 2 year warranty. They offer different brush heads according to skin types. Next order Obagi or ZO medical skin care products. Both are created by Dr. Zein Obagi. Very pricey but you are worth it! You can look up the products online. There is no time like the present to start a daily routine of skin health.
It is obvious you are a beautiful girl. People don't see you as you see yourself because you are so focused on your perceived flaws. I do not see one wrinkle on your skin and u certainly do not look old.I am not trying to minimize your pain, women are so very critical of themselves and I know this first hand. I do recommend you go to owndoc.com The woman who runs this site lives in England and she researches everything she sells and she sells everything at a low cost becuz most products you buy from her come from Europe (NOT CHINA!) Anyway, she sells Dermarollers. Read all her research and blogs. I have seen a good deal of improvement with dermarolling. Also, get her copper peptide mask. I used to get my copper peptides from skinbiology.com but they are very expensive. I still would recommend that you go to that site also so that u understand the role of copper peptides in healing the skin. One last piece of advise...my children are adults, 22 and 29 years old. Only now do I realize how absolutely vital those early years are. Although it is a cliche' please believe your baby is going to grow up so FAST and you will never get this time back. You are shaping who that baby becomes... try not to fret about your face. Your baby does not know or care about your skin but he or she can sense anxiety, fear and sadness. Trust me your baby LOVES you exactly as you are.
That's good stuff about her baby express thanks. I agree she's very pretty and her skin does not look that bad in pictures. I sympathize however because I know how painful and consuming watching your skin deteriorate on a rapid basis can be. I used to be a "normal" looking girl. Not pretty, I have a funny nose. I had what I thought was bad skin. Now I have to brace myself before I look in the mirror. I'm sure she's a great mom and is living the hell out of her little baby!
Loving*
Yes I agree Janey...and I am not unsympathetic. I have lived her life and speak from experience, it's just that I am much older so I am speaking from my experience from the perspective of looking back. I still suffer and I continue to pursue skin improvement tools. I have the money at my age to do whatever I want in terms of plastic surgery, lasers, home remedies and I have found that in MANY cases these so called laser miracles only make u worse. skin biology.com has information about WHY lasers do damage if interested. My biggest regret is not having fully embraced all the activities I could have enjoyed with my children because I didn't want people to see my skin. To this day I still have tactics engrained in me to hide...still have long hair, pick seat in restaurant according to lighting etc. I have always envied people who have less than great skin and pull their hair back, face to the sun and just LIVE! Also, one last piece of advice. Mineral Makeup with a sponge not a brush like they all come with. Press it into skin and then put something like Clinique's transparencey powder to match your mineral makeup. People tell me I have beautiful skin and I just laugh to myself because it is all an illusion. I use SHEER COVER and Clinique but Sheer Cover is in the process of changing their product and I don't find the coverage as good as b4. Go for a high coverage mineral make up, add a light weight pwder and then your blush etc. Good luck to all of you. Keeping u all in my prayers.
I have to agree with expressthanks on the subject of Dermarolling. If its used properly it works. Take into consideration a smaller size needle needed for facial tissue. No longer than 0.5 mm. Used as a treatment once a week is best. The product applied to your face afterwards will absorb deep into your skin. Many people recommend using Obagi skin care products for acne, discoloration, anti-aging, etc. You can watch You tube videos online. Brianna Stanko talks about and demonstrates how she uses the derma roller on her face. also you can check out make up alley for reviews on the dermaroller.
I can tell that your a very beautiful girl LMS. Enjoy your new baby. Don't let this ruin your life. I made the laser mistake back in February 2013. Although it still bothers me I won't let it ruin me. I would never notice what your seeing on your face. Hold your head up.
Thanks you guys. Ur very sweet. I do enjoy my little guy. He is the one thing that has brought me a lot of joy since this happened. I do thank god everyday for him and his health...but it is still an awful experiance to be dealing with this and I know I would have enjoyed my son's infancy a lot more had I not been in such a deep depression. The only thing that helps me feel better these days is having hope that I can improve my damage with things like fillers accutane and recell. I will be heartbroken if I cant. Thanks again everyone.
In April 2010 I had a chemical peel in downtown Glendale, AZ. That was my first mistake! I didnt peel hardly at all. A couple weeks later I went on vacation to the beach. That was my second mistake! Most of the time I wore a hat but when I laid down the hat came off. It caused a mild Melasma on the top of my forehead and framed my face to the edge of the jaw. I had two IPL laser treatments which at first was great. The skin was tight but later resulted in large pores all over my face. DONT GET LASER!! I tried a couple fading creams for the melasma, one was Roc with Retin A, nightcream. I stopped using it because I had a break out. Since then I have come to understand Retin A should be used sparingly, on dry skin, at night only. Im going to try Tretinoin 0.05% and alternate nightly with hydroquinone 4% for 3 months consistant to treat melasma. For the large pores, Im going to try Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy costs $30 **3rd party links not permitted**With all that said..I will let you know how it goes.
Good luck!
:-) best of luck with that :-)
Its been a week since my last post. I've done even more research on skin and products. The Clenziderm Pore Therapy that I bought to resolve the issue of large pores arrived in the mail. I have been using it for 3 days. I'm going to wait on treating the melasma because I don't want to combine the products and possibly cause more severe damage. At this time the results are good. My skin is soft, dewy, pores look tighter and cleaner. My routine has been to wash my face twice a day, morning and night with hand-milled soap I ordered online from an out of state honey farm. The soap is inexpensive, smells lovely and lathers nicely. Its made of soybean oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil, spring water, sodium hydroxide, fragrance oil, beeswax, honey. I lather the soap on a fresh/clean wash cloth and proceed to wipe in upward circular strokes to exfoliate. This helps to sluff off dead skin cells. Next I pat my face dry with a clean towel. Then I wait a couple minutes to air dry because I noticed more sensativity to the pore therapy when my face is damp. I apply some pore therapy to a cotton ball. I dont soak the cotton ball just a moderate amount. I swipe it all over once and then drip a few more drops on the cotton ball and press it on the most poress areas. For me that is my nose and middle part of chin. My face tingles for a few minutes afterwards due to the menthol in the product. I fan my face and it feels refreshing! I have sensitive, combination skin, and have not had a breakout of any kind. Guess what? I am going without wearing cover up make up! Just some mascara and lip gloss. Yesterday I found it beneficial to use the pore therapy on my T zone during the middle of the day. Its very hot this time of year where I live and I feel it helped control oil.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-