REGRET RUINING MY SKIN WITH FRAXEL

At 59 and using sunscreens all of my adult life, I...

At 59 and using sunscreens all of my adult life, I had very few 'crow's feet' but the overall appearance of my skin was beginning to sag. Most people believed me to be about 10 yrs. younger than my age.

I was told that the treatment would tighten skin & be painless. PAINLESS!! During treatment, the burning was so bad - I asked her to stop, but she said 'just a little more'. After the treatment, my face felt as if it was on fire & I was iced for about an hour. I was told there was be some redness for a couple of days. Bull!! My face was very swollen for about a wk. & my face burned enough for over 3 weeks that I had to take pain prescription just to sleep. It happens that I was not working at the time & that was a good thing because I would not have been able to go to work.

The result: I have wrinkles that didn't exist before & my cheeks are covered with cross hatches, which I have only seen on 80 yr. old skin.

After showing these results to the technician, she said "the machine was new & maybe I had the setting too high", and she expected me to complete the other 2 treatments. I requested a refund & was denied. I was offered other services to use the credit (fraxel treatment was a prepaid pkg.), which I refused. I guess this has just been an expensive lesson.

I regret that I had this and don't believe my skin will ever be the same.

I also regret that I can't mention the name of the practitioner. If I had some good before pix, I would sue!

Beyond Colour

explained in review

Wow 6 years later and this laser damage is allowed to continue. And awalk paid the ultimate price for it. Shame on these no good bastards. They know damn well the damage lasers can do but continue to do it anyway. How dare they ruin peoples lives for money. Karma will get these laser scumbags.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I'm so sorry ths happened to you. But, if you live ANYWHERE in the U.S. babygirl you must be forgetting that we have a little thing here called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. You can say WHATEVER you want and give the name of the doc to anyone, anywhere, anyway......you could even take a full page ad out in the paper and have is name in bold print saying exactly what he did to you.....it doesn't matter if you have "proof" (before and after pics, etc) or not. Only you perception matters.. I'm so mad right now, I wish I would have seen this post back when it was posted......I would have paid for the newspaper ad!!!!!
I also have had a terrible experience with Fraxel. It has been over 3 years for me and my skin has still not healed. I have permanent redness from where my skin was burned after the procedures. I have hyper pigmentation which I didn't have before. I also have deep cyst acne which I didn't have before. There are 3 permanent pimples on my forehead that won't go away. I am so upset and wish I hadn't listened to the people at the cosmetic center. I wasted well over $4000.00, went through tremendous pain and still haven't recovered. I wish I had never done it.
I also want to thank you for sharing your story about fraxel. I had an appointment next week for a consult as i wanted to remove these wrinkles on my cheeks that were caused by the aggressive microdermabrasion treatment combined with a chemical peel-- i am going to cancel my appoitnment!!! thank you ! and God bless...
hi ladies. I thought i was the only one affected by the promise of perfect skin only to cry everyday later~! my story- I once had flawless perfect skin! i never thought twice about my skin -- i actually loved putting on my make up since it looked like a flawless canvas afterwards. when i was about 27 i went to get my eyebrows waxed- well the lady waxed my whole face-- it looked great at first! i then had to keep going back since my hair on my face would continue to grow! so by the third time she burnt my face and my pores were inside out! the texture was horrible. i then got severe acne- i was soooo depressed - and i too never wanted to leave the house- i was so mad at myself for even going to do this! well this is where the journey began for me to try to fix my skin! i had treatments of microdermabrasion done and loved the results on my pores. I later went to a doctor to try to laser the hair off- she saw my acne and put me on retina and glycolic wash- it was great!! my skin was great once again -- well not as it was but great improvement! well to maintain the great skin i asked to get microdermabrasion done with the same doctor that prescribed the retina-- she had an estetician there- so they recommended i do 5 treatments for best results.. by the four treatment i started breaking out again and my pore size had increased-- on my 5th treatment i told her my concerns - she aggressively gave me a microderm and applied a chemical peel - 5 times on top- I told her it burned and she said it was supposed to! i TRUSTED HER!!! a few days later it peeled and my texture and pores looked HORRIBLE-- i just remember pulling the sheets over my head and crying!!!!!!!!!!! i cried everyday for 3 months and got into a deep depression-- everyone said it looked fine but i know what my skin looked like prior! shortly after i saw fine horizonal lines on my right cheek! and on my left cheek my pores looked crepid and saw the imprint of the microderm wand on my skin - its been 6 years now since that happened and my skin has improved but will never never be the same-- i see the fine lines through my cheeks- hyperpigmentation-- and open pores which never close-- i think about my skin EVERYDAY -- i feel like a prisoner in my mind ! and occasionally cry and cry when i think that i chose to do this! many times i dont want to go out in the sun and enjoy a nice swim since i dont want to do more damage by the sun.. my heart goes out to those that have been affected by this industry... you are not alone-- I am 35 now and trying to enjoy the quality of my life-- after all these years it still affects me!! but i am trying~!
This proceedure is a scam! Some people may have positive aesthetic results but I do NOT believe that fraxel restore and especially repair are good for the skin. In my opinion the words restore and repair are completely misleading and could be interpreted as false advertising.
I had a terrible experience with fraxel repair. I spend 5500 for tight uncomfortable skin that does not appear to retain moisture the way it used to. And, my skin does not look any better, actually it may look worse. This is a nightmare! I am going to talk to some unbiased dermatologists to see if they will help me in a law suit against the company that makes this laser. I'm also concerned that my skin will always be much more sensitive to the sun than ever before. What have I done!!!
Hi I know exactly what you are going through I had the repair 16months ago. Prior to the procedure I had very good skin no blemishes or wrinkles. I got talked into it by an unethical doctor. i have now been diagnosed with melasma and rosacea induced by this laser. Furthermore a well known dermatlogist i am seeing says that I have no skin barrier which means that i get windburned even indoors. My skin is sore all the time. I am on strict sun avoidance and cry daily because of this laser and the doctor who did this to me.
Carlel Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement...You’re a smart women It's been an eye opener, very disheartening in regard to medical devices, ethics, morals and the doctors who promote them... It's hard for even the most educated patient or consumer to know who and what the real deal is... Medical Devices...Implants lasers ect Is a multi billion dollar business at the expense of the people they are used on... Orthopedics and Dermatologist are the most corrupt in regard to ethics and Disclosure I wish I would have found some reviews before I did Fraxel.... But trusted my doctor… The biggest mistake of my life!!!!! The best thing you can do for your skin is Retina A....It's been around forever now is safe and effective It increases cell turnover and is the only cream that is proven to really reverse aging skin.... It would also be helpful in preventing any precancers from forming... Also an Antioxidant to prevent free radical damage.... I love Revale Skin Night cream it uses Coffee Berry and was rated Allures #1 night cream...I use it during the day. Per Derm Retina at night....Start with Retina Micro every other night and work up,,, It takes a while to get used to...WELL WORTH IT I love love love Aveeno Positively Ageless SPF 30 for everyday and the 70 for face if outdoors...Don't forget your neck and chest...Every day!!! I've used everyone on the market in every price range,,By far the best. Dr. Oppenheim on this site has some great answers and articles that are very informative as well as his website and he isn't bought and paid for like some derms...He gives straight answers on what works..No Hype Find a derm like him in your area and get the Retina A,, to at least hold off and reverse precancers... Skin Cancer has tripled in Women but not men since the 80's... Radiation is radiation rather it's UV or from a laser... Don't let a corrupt industry convince you otherwise...I have no financial incentive and am only trying to spare others the misery it has caused me and my family… Some have challenged my comments,,,, But I feel compelled by my conscious to share what I’ve learned from my experience and research the last 2 years… If others prefer to believe those with huge financial incentive as opposed to a fair unbiased experience,,,,,, Have at it… My conscious is clear…… I won’t be the only one walking around looking like this… Join the club…….Misery loves company!!! Lasers can be effective for some problems... but are overused and under regulated In the cosmetic arena causing more harm than benefit for profit... Women are being duped...As well as many doctors... Buyer Beware!!!!!!! Even at the Doctors office!!!!!! Sad but True!!! Best Wishes
What an unbelievable experience you had Awalk, I know nothing about any of these treatments and was just exploring the idea of having a chemical peel or buying a home kit, but after reading your story and seeing your pictures, I am now terrified to try anything, being that I am already quite leary of chemicals to begin with... even in my hair!! Thank you for sharing your story and the non-stop warnings you have posted, you are saving many people heartache that you unfortunately had to go through... I hope you will get a huge compensation!! I am 40yrs old and am just beginning to use sunscreen, as you know in our age group sunscreen wasn't a big thing growing up in the 70's and 80's, however after reading all of these horror stories I don't even want to try a chemical peel, I think I 'll just stick an SPF 50... all the best to you and don't stop petitioning until you win!!!!
This laser is very dangerous because of the depth... Its disheartning to think more lawsuits are not being filed because women feel like its something we did voluntarly..Preferable female who understands how these treatments are marketed and how women are bombarded with advertising/ before after pics that are all the same person on every docs website... Find out how the treatments went for the people before and after you....I heard they had some defective tips...I think they treat 4-6 people before they are replaced.... I am not a doctor or an attorney.... only the same thing happened to me..Did you have any fillers in your face?? Don't bother going to another doctor in your area they will just give you the runaround from my exper..I haven't left my house to work or play in over a year.... My face just got worse as the year progressed....Again I'm not a doc...just someone who wished they had followed thru.instead of listening to the nurse....its still healing give it more time...maybe you will find someone who can help prevent more damage as it heals..TNS recovery serum help me the most at $160 ounce.If your doc cariies it maybe you can get discount.. At a min have Attorney send a letter to get your money back.. Use it to get radiase restylane or something to plump up the new lines so you can get back to square 1....if its just new lines you have consider yourself lucky that its not holes and scaring just lost fat or collagen.... Get your money back and get your face plumped up with fat,resty,sculptra or another filler....Do your research and ask the doc for before and after pics of his patients who received same treatment... Don't be scared to ask what complications he has had instead of having a consent thrown at you right before you get procedure and have been shown the best Before/After pics provided by the manufacter.... Ask worst case that they are aware of.....These are are faces.. and deserve more research and care before strong lasers are put on them... Doctors are being sold and the complications are not being reported...As far as im concerned the FDA is a joke...as well as all the bogus trials.... Its a shame doctors fall victim and are being sold lasers based on incorresct and bogus trials/statistics..Just profit margins... Even the the doctors have to cover it up..Are goverment doesn't protect us from this injustice.. And I dont think a doctor would or could afford to complain or sue after spending all that money on a laser that they need to purchase new tips to use...The deep pockets always win..
Did your doc not take before pics.....See if you can get Visia or uv pics taken now maybe they will show something underneath...Just a thought before you do something else....Lots of Derms and spas offer for next to nothing sometimes free if considering procedure....I don't know if they show anything...just a thought. I do know they have tests pics that show scare tissue and burn depth..just dont know what they are...If you do any research let me know what you find out...Good luck....