Subtle Improvement - Redwood City, CA

I had Ulthera done in four sections along my jaw...

I had Ulthera done in four sections along my jaw to improve the appearance of jowls. It took about 20 minutes total. I took 800mg of ibuprofen before the treatment. Still, it was very painful and I had nerve pain, with occasional "zings" of sharp pain in my jaw and teeth for about 3 days after the procedure. After 4 months, I'm not seeing much of an improvement. What do others think?

After reading others comments, I suppose I do see...

After reading others comments, I suppose I do see an improvement. It's especially nice that my smile wrinkles are pretty much gone, and that the changes aren't so dramatic that I look like I had "something done." I try to stay as natural looking as possible. I'm considering doing my eyes to lift my eyelids. I will be sure to post those pics and a review if I do!

Where in the Bay Area did you go? Can you refer a doctor?
Totally see a difference from before and after! You look great!!! I wanted to do something subtle, was considering this. Thanks for your post. I'm in RWShores...and will contact Dr. Munyon's office.
I see not change. I too had the procedure and saw little to no change. Even if some people want to see change, shouldn't it be for obvious for the money spent. Would you ever do this again for so little? I wouldn't.
Could you please tell me where you did your treatment? And you paid $1,000 for the lower face? Thank you very much!
Ulthera does not affect the fat layer.
Lindalocket, And what makes you an expert? My face is ruined and it does.
Lindalocket- And what makes you an expert? Ulthera does have an affect on the fat layer and my face is ruined. I would love to post before and after pictures but the doctor refuses to give them to me. I think Ulthera has people posting/ selling on this site.
lindalocket. Your comment is simply misguided. Ulthera does in fact effect all layers of the skin. My face was ruined by Ulthera. Maybe yours won't show up for awhile, due to your age. There are no long term studies that can prove the ill effects of this treatment.
Elizababa, Ulthera hollowed out my eyes. The fat is gone and I look awful. It works well under the chin.. because we don't need fat und the chin area.
I found the treatment to be a joke. 3000 and subtle is not the word for it. So not worth it, there's a reason you don't see much or any difference, the treatment is a farce and the Doctor's know this and are just trying to push it on a few people to recoup cost of these machines. Even if you think you see improvement... is it worth it? Improvement should be obvious, not something you struggle to see. This is your money you're spending.
I can see a difference. I am also located in Redwood city...do you mind sharing where you had the procedure done?
Sure, it was at Munyon Dermatology by Lisa. She's great!!!
I can see a difference. It is subtle but definately apparent. the procedure seems to have pulled the skin below your chin tighter. looks good.
I see a difference. Did a doctor or esthetician do your procedure?
A cosmetic dermatology nurse did it. She is very experienced, having worked on the clinical trials and development of the device, so I know her technique was about as good as it gets. Thanks for your feedback!
I definitely see a difference in all 3 photos.
Yeah, now that I look at my profile, I do see a slight lift under the chin area for sure. Thanks for your feedback!
That's great Elizababa! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Yikes, zings for 3 days after?! I haven't heard of that before. You must have been relieved when they finally stopped.

Honestly, its kind of hard to tell too much of a difference in the pictures. Assuming that the top ones are your befores, it does look like your jaw is slightly more defined in the bottom pictures. I looked at the angle of the bottom of your nose to try to see if you were perhaps lifting your chin up more (which could make your jaw look more defined) but it looks like you are pretty much on the same plane in both pictures. Does it feel any different?

Hi Megan - Yes, the top pics are befores and the bottom pics are the afters. I was so relieved when the nerve zings stopped. Apparently, it's a known risk and doesn't happen to everyone. At first, my skin felt plumper, but I think that's common after just about any procedure that causes inflammation - even facials do that. My skin doesn't feel any different now, but I would say my smile lines diminish more rapidly. For a long time, when I'd smile and laugh a lot in a day, the wrinkles along the sides of my mouth would stay a long time. Now, they tend to go away quickly and are never there the next morning. That's certainly an upside and has eliminated the need for fillers (for the time being anyway!).

Oh wow, that is good! Well it sounds like you did get a subtle change. I guess its just a matter of if you feel the subtle change was worth the experience and cost. You'll have to fill us in and change your Worth It Rating accordingly when you come to a conclusion. :)