Redness Taking Longer to Go Away then I Was Lead to Believe - Springfield, MI

I had Active FX on 2/15 to reduce wrinkles and...

I had Active FX on 2/15 to reduce wrinkles and tighten skin under my eyes and to remove some sun spots on my face. The brochure that the M.D. gave me at the consult states that all of the redness should be gone by 7 days post-op. I'm now more than 2 weeks post op, and the treated areas are still reddish pink, although coverable with make up. They are fading so slowly. I was concerned and called my M.D. today and spoke with the nurse who assisted him. She told me that the doctor went deeper under my eyes and that it could be a full month or 2 before all of the redness went away. This M.D. has been doing CO2 and other lasers since 1995 and has lots of experience with them. Knowing this now, I believe that I would still have had the procedure done as my under eye area is greatly improved. I just hate having to wear so much make up - even to exercise and wish that they had told me it would take this long. UPDATE: I had what I thought was Active FX on 2/15. I went for my 1 month follow up today and found out that my doctor had actually done the deeper FX laser under my eyes which is why the redness is taking so long to go away. I had crepiness under my eyes and he said that he needed to go deeper than Active FX. My skin texture is greatly improved and the redness is fading, although it could be another month before it is completely gone. He said that each person's skin is different and it is hard to predict how long the redness will last. He said that if he had done the Active FX, the redness would have been gone in 7-10 days, however, I wouldn't have gotten the same results.

To all those concerned about prolonged redness after TOTAL FX, my dermatologist told me that the treatment can cause long-term redness, or erythema, that won't go away on its own. She said she uses a YAG laser to get the redness out, although I'm not sure which one.
Update on my previous post written on day six: It is now 14 days since FX. What a difference a few days can make! I started with the Obaji system on day 8. My skin is now MUCH improved from day 6 - very dry and flaky though now. I keep putting moisturizer on during the day before I see people but the good news is I can see people now without scaring them with oozy patches and a blotchy red face and neck! There is some redness which I am able to cover with make-up now. The scabs are gone. I went into a dimly lit restaurant and a couple of people asked me if I changed my hair. Ha! No! I'll take that as a sign that no one noticed I am a little red, and that I look noticably different but but not unnaturally so because they couldn't pinpoint what the difference was. Yes!
I am six days post Total Fx on my face and neck. Parts of my face have recovered - still pink, but the skin looks nice (fragile, but very fresh looking). But my forehead and my jowl line look like someone came after me with a hot waffle iron! I have some oozy spots that have me concerned as well. There is NO WAY I can put makeup on to look presentable enough to go out in public. Considering how REALLY bad I looked the first few day after the procedure, it's amazing the recovery has come this far. Still, the recovery time was underestimated. My friend had the same treatment as me, on the same day. She was so puffy and swollen after the procedure, she couldn't open her eyes. She spent the next 24 hours in bed. (I looked bad, but felt fine post FX.) After the first two days, our recovery has been about the same. We each had our own areas where the treatment was deeper, and in those areas, we are both finding those areas are taking longer to recover. The good news is there has been no pain and the parts that have recovered so far look great. I am hoping the rest won't take forever! I can only stay "in" for so long.....
Hi, I had the Total FX 17 days ago. My skin is so dry, botchy, and some of my age spots came back--some are darker. My Dr. says that they will eventually fall off and that I am still healing. From people that are further along, is this correct? As of now, the blotchy/dry/freckle look isnt worth this. But I am hopeful more tiem will reveal new skin?
It's now 4 months after FX and I am still slightly pink, but worse is blotches of redness on my cheeks near jawline, including broken capillaries. I wonder if it would be a good idea to get IPL on these broken capillaries?
Hi Lyann2 I am just wondering if you ended up having the IPL for your broken capillaries? I am battling with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and broken capillaries following the fraxel re:pair and I am 8months post procedure and am still pinky/red. Apparently the prolonged redness is a good thing as your skin is still healing so there is hope yet.
Ahh, they told you to use Retin A. While Retin A makes the skin turn-over quicker, it is not supposed to be used following such an intense treatment. Your skin is already attempting to return itself to normal, Retin A I would think would make things worse. It makes your skin dry and flake and your skin is already shedding itself. Obagi is a good product line to use following this procedure. Any product that hydrates the skin is what you will want to continue to apply. Biafine is another good product to help heal your skin. I would definitely ask a different dermatologist about using Retin A.
The doctor told me to use Retin A and Obagi Clear (hydroquonone?) and that it WAS unusual that I was still red six weeks later, but that it would clear up. It is hard to tell if it is getting better, it may be just a little. Another correspondent said it may take six months!
I had DeepFX 32 days ago and have a lot of blotchy/streaky coloring on my cheeks, I guess it's hyperpigmentation. I could not go out w/o makeup, it's very bad. Overall color is still dark/pink. I have appt with dr tomorrow, wonder what I will be told, how much longer this will take to resolve.
Lynann2 - What did the docter tell you about your redness. Is it getting better?
My Dr also did IPl, and fraxel restore, neither has worked, and the hypo pig just gets worse when in the sun. Use sunscreen.
I had Total FX a couple of weeks ago and am having the same problem with uneven pigmentation. It is a real problem, and one the dermatologist did not prepare me for. Apparently I can do IPL in a few weeks to try to even out my skin tones, but to pay so much for these results is disheartening to say the least. The dermatologist I used is a very respected physician, but so far I am unhappy with the results. I look worse, not better at this point, but maybe things will improve.
I look a lot better now. It didn't make everything 100% but it made it a lot less noticeable. I would say that I think it exacerbated a few scars.
It took about 4 months. I did have a fraxel treatment about 3 months after as well as the 3 light treatments.
Thanks for the reply. I am glad you are happy with the results. I suppose I will just have to give it more time. Did you have the fraxel done for the redness? The doctor suggested that I have just the deep fx performed again in March only on two scars that I have and hopefully that will be it. I do not want to do anything else until I get this redness resolved. Thanks again.
ElizabethO - Hi, how long did it take for your redness to go away. I am still red 2 months after a total fx treatment. I've had two IPL treatments. I am getting concerned.
Hi Joi, I wish I could tell you that it will go away soon, but it probably won't. It took quite a long time, but I can honestly say (6 months later) it was totally worth it. My skin looks so much better. I recommend possibly getting light therapy or the Tanda device to speed healing.
I'm also really red, I had the Total FX... I wish the redness goes away soon.
I had Total FX done 1 week ago today. The procedure was not at all painful, but the days following were terrible. Swelling, oozing, peeling, itching, and deep tissue pain. I still have considerable redness and the skin is very tight and looks unnatural. I'm confident that the redness and the tightness will disappear with time (at least that's what I'm praying for) but in the meantime I haven't found any makeup that will cover it and I'm very uncomfortable going out in public. At this point in time, I looked better before I had it done and can only hope that I will look better as time goes on. Would I do it again? No. But ask me again in 6 months. The time stated for recovery is not realistic at all.
how do you look now. was total fx worth it?
it's been since March so 4 month and it still not complete back to normal big waste of time deep fx di very little for a lot of pain and wasted time
Vaingirl, I had the procedure done 3 weeks ago and still have pink spots. My doctor is using a yellow flashing light on my skin once a week to help it fade. I was just curious how long it took for your skin color to return to normal?
I came across your question and thought this referral may be helpful. Jeffrey C. Popp, M.D., FACS at Popp Cosmetic Surgery Pc FYI: The UltraPulse Encore is the name of the laser device by Lumenis... ActiveFx is the name of the procedure that is performed with the device.
Does anyone know of a practitioner fro Active FX in either Omaha, Kansas City or Milwaukee area? I've visited Lumenis website and looked for practitioners that have the "ultraplus encore" - which is what they list the ActiveFX under- but none of the results from that search turn up any physicians with that machine. I'm confused and have tried to call Lumenis with no success. Any help would be appreciated.