Side Effects - Redding, CA

I have been receiving Radiesse in my left cheek...

I have been receiving Radiesse in my left cheek area for many years to correct muscle loss from car accident trauma without any side effects. However, this last time I has white bumps at injection site, and was told its from the lidocaine in the Radiesse and it would go away in an hour. When it didn't go away after several hours, I called the office of Craig Kraffert to let Lindsay Miller, PAC know. Her MA asked her, and she told me to massage it. I did so, but the next morning woke up with severe bruising and swelling. I called office back and was told it would go away in a few days, and to take ibuprofen for pain. It is now the 4th day and it is still swollen and bruised. I hope it gets better in next couple of days!

Ouch!  I hope the bruises break down quickly, keep us posted on what happens.  Thanks for sharing :)

Sammo, Thanks for posting those pictures. The bruises are always a potential effect of injections, are there longer than anyone wants and the good news is, they eventually go away entirely. I like to recommend using gentle warm compresses to increase the circulation in the area to carry off all the blood products under the skin. Hang in there and keep us posted of your progress.
Hi! Is Lindsey Miller a Dr?

Just keeps getting worse!

Today is 6th day since injections. When I took shower my cheek burned! My daughter went to store and got me Aquaphor ointment which has relieved my pain. I believe I need to see a board certified dermatologist to evaluate me further. I want to know whether Lindsay caused an occulation to the blood flow. The daily worsening of my face is indicating more than bruising!

What if my blood flow is blocked? Will hot compresses help reduce restriction? Right now its so raw it hurts to touch - Aquaphor feels good though. In morning I have to wipe it off best I can, put on makeup, and go to the office where I work. Thank you for your reply.
No it stands for Physicians Assistsnt

Question for Doctor

If my bloodflow is in fact being restricted, what can be done to restore it?

Meet the Staff

More Info

Also, I spent this last wknd with the inside of my mouth sore and blistering. Yesterday Lindsay gave me samples of Protopic cream for it. It really helped me; however, after looking it up after the fact - it is for eczema and external only! Unbelievable! Like I said, it just keeps getting worse! Why on earth would she give me that for the inside of my mouth!

Ohh I saw your update info just now. Wow that Lindsey keeps messing up. Whats wrong with her. Hope you find a solution right away with the board certified dermatilogist to resolve all this.
Ohh! Ok. Are you doing better Today? Whats Aquaphor?

Wed Sept 18th

Have appt in hr at a hyperbaric med ctr for a consult - hope they can help me!
Went to Dr Krafferts office - he refused to see me today. He said he would see me tomorrow morning at 9 with Lindsay.
I dont believe Lindsay or Dr K know the extent of what has happened to me or what to do for it.
Found website: http://aaronstonemd-plasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2011/01/skin-necrosis-with-dermal-fillers.html?m=1
Has info on help hopefully i can use an show a dr.
Also I spoke with Julie Kaplan today who went through what Im going thru - she has posting in this site - she is very supportive and us going to see me this afternoon too.

Hi - thanks for caring. Aquaphor is a petroleum based ointment - it has soothed the raw dying skin but now trying to get help and answers on stopping the necrosis an blockage from Radiesse in my artery on my cheek. Wish me luck!

What a day!

Will write bout more 2 mrrw im drained emotionally, physically, and mentally right now.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you . . . I truly am grateful to you, and blessed to be under your care.
:-) You are beautiful. Don't forget that as the days go on. You will get through this because you are strong, and you are beautiful.

One Week Post

I have taken today and tomorrow off work to heal. I am following Julie and her husband's (Dr. Kaplan) instructions. The massaging and warm compresses have helped to get some blood flow. I am on aspirin, antibiotic, and anti-viral. I am going to follow up on consult for hyper baric oxygen therapy or oxygen mask at night as I may not be a candidate for hyper baric if screws near my left eye from car accident are metal. I an going to see my eye dr and dentist to check if my lack of blood flow is or has been affected.
Most importantly, I will continue to update this site and create new profiles on other sites to bring awareness of what can happen to anyone from Radiesse. Like Julie said "you couldn't pay me a million dollars to have it again." I second that!

Anger

Anger is hitting me this morning over the fact that a Physician's Assistant didn't recognize she hit an artery! Anger is hitting me that the Physician she works under has discharged me as a patient! Unbelievable that this doctor has abandoned me and is not willing to see the effects of what occurred last Thursday to me. The whole thing is now angering me and baffling me. I would think he would want to know, and would want his Assistant to know what she did wrong so this doesn't happen to someone else!

This isn't over yet . . . right now I'm working through many emotions, and working on healing my face with the help of Julie and Jory Kaplan. Today I am calling my eye doctor and my dentist, and the oxygen therapy center.

Thinking of you. Sending healing thoughts.
Thank you Julie - you are beautiful too (inside and out) :). I downloaded an app last night on anatomy, and studied the muscles, nerves, and arteries in hopes of getting an idea where to massage to get blood flow going. Oh boy, that didn't help me because there are so many, and I don't know where Lindsay injected. I guess I just massage the best I can. Today's photos, as you can see, show quite a bit of blood has formed at one injection site - it is very sore and painful. I woke up and immediately went for the Advil. I have to leave and take my daughter to school here shortly. When I get home I will call my dentist and eye doctor and Dr. Hamilton. Thank you so much for your support Julie.

Sunday Sept 22, 2013

I would not wish this experience on anyone. To top it all off I received a Dissolution letter from Dr. Krafftert in my mail box yesterday. It baffles me why he is taking this avenue toward me. I am not going to let him get the best of me. I am a strong, beautiful woman in spite of what is happening to my face!

How are you?
I'm hanging in here. It is an awful, painful process to go through wet dry wound care that I am currently on. I work full time, and have to keep my wound covered to prevent infection. Consequently, it stays too moist to really pull the necrotic slough off as effectively as It could be had I not have to bandage it. Thank you for asking about me :)
Sending you more healing thoughts. Remember the first month is the most difficult. I remember the dread of not knowing how long it would look so awful. I promise you you are not alone during these scary months. You are so fortunate to have so many people who care about you, and in this online community~ so many people who have been through this. Take good care of yourself and keep laughing and smiling. You ARE beautiful!!! Nothing can change that!!!

Sunday September 29th

My wound . . . the green color is the dead skin or necrotic skin that died from lack if blood flow and oxygen to my face after Radiesse got in artery! It has to come off to allow new cell growth - very painful long process! People - do not use Radiesse!

Omg I was going to have some radiesse training tomorrow this had most defiantly made me think twice..I feel sorry for you hope you have speedy recovery

I'm also wondering if Lindsey Miller is an M.D. Sounds like you've got a good case for a law suit. Many people have good results with Radiesse. While I don't know for sure, I think problems arise when the injector isn't trained properly or adequately. Sounds hugely unaccountable and unprofessional.
Radiesse is the only filler that cannot be reversed if an occlusion occurs, and if so, immediate action is necessary in an attempt to restore blood flow. Action with Nitropaste and massage. May work may not? Look at my face! Radiesse even by the worlds best injector IS NOT worth the trauma. If you were in my shoes right now I am sure you would know what I mean, but thank God you aren't. A Physician Assistant injected me - almost a doctor level in the medical field - one step down from becoming one. Thank you for your post. Take care.

Slow Process

Its now one month and a day since Radiesse injections resulted in blocked blood flow to my cheek. I am tired of wound care and bandages! I do it because I have to. I should'nt have to! Why is it there are people whom you should be able to trust allowed to inject any filler let alone one called Radiesse that do not know the signs of hitting an artery or what to do if they did?
I have a right to be angry!

I have too much knowledge now out of necessity about wound care and terms like slough, tunneling, etc.

The blessing through my pain and suffering though has been Julie and her husband. Having been through this herself, she has offered me her heartfelt sympathy and support. They both are truly wonderful, caring people.

Sandy

Getting Better - Slow Process

My vent above was just that. Im glad my face is improving - its just frustrating at times because its a slow process. I am a positive social person with great friends and family. I am human too though and life sometimes gives us something (like this event) that reminds me that I will persevere. I want change in the education of all injectors to know more about what they're doing. I want you reading this to ask questions if you are going to be injected - if person does not know answers to what an ischmic event looks like or what to do . . . Run!

How did the hole in the skin appear? I was going to get fillers for the first time on the 12th of the mnth a little xmas gift to myself, I wont be doing it, I think I will just smile when I need a fresh enhancing glow to my face cheaper easier and definitely safer!!!
I'm so sorry you also had a problem with Radiesse. Mine has sent me to the ER many times for over 2 years now. Start by googling Medwatch 3500 A and report your reaction to the FDA. If enough people do this it will be taken off the market. Good luck to you.
I'm so sorry that you also had a problem. Mine resulted in an immune system response to the Radiesse resulting in over 2 years of severe swelling requiring ER visits. Please start by filing a Medwatch 3500 A form which lets the FDA know of your reaction. When they get enough evidence they will remove the product from the market. This won't let me post the link but google Medwatch 3500 A

Day 92

As of one month ago today, the necrotic tissue dissolved. I stopped wearing bandage to work on Nov 13th. Now my wound is in the intermediary stage. When it appears to have finished the granulation process, I will seek scar treatment options.
Life goes on but mark my words, I will push for legislation that all injectors of cosmetic fillers get training on how to recognize an ischemic event and what to do! I emplore all of you who read this and are contemplating or getting cosmetic fillers to ask two important questions of the injector. That is do they know the signs of ischemic event aka occlusion (hitting an artery!), and do you know what to do? If they can't answer, RUN!

Photo Day 92

Call a lawyer. The doctor is negligent in discharging you after causing the wound. I recently had a fat transfer,which is permenant, from a severe indented scar on my face,from car accident. Insurance paid. See a certified plastic surgeon
Thank you for sharing your story. It is heart-wrenching to read your story. I am so sorry that you had to pass through all of this.
I am so proud of you for your amazing attitude. SHAME on that doctor for abandoning you in your time of need. I cant even imagine. Hey Doc, First Do No Harm!
Lindsay Miller

I realize there are risks involved with injections; however, Lindsay failed to recognize when she hit an artery. Consequently, I was being treated for a possible sinus infection initially. However, when it was evident that wasn't the case, and I called to get help and answers on what was wrong, I was discharged as a patient by the doctor she works under. Its a shame she cannot see what has happened to me.