Still Recovering from Tummy Tuck 09/03/10-complications with Opening Incision - Cincinnati, OH

So far i'm not sure it was a good idea......

So far i'm not sure it was a good idea... it's been a hard road, one which i wasn't prepared for..... No one told me how painful this would be, however i was unable to take pain meds... and due to headaches stopped taking even the minimum pain reliever at 3 days post op.

I am having a hard time standing up straight still...due to the huge incision opening... the dr insists it's common though i have yet to find a woman it's happened to. I've been told i will have to heal from the inside out... and we are due to go on vacation in just 2 1/2 weeks...i have a feeling I am not going to have such a great time.

Remaining positive is no longer easy for me. I am tired of being couch bound... 3 1/2 weeks is too long. AND I had to leave my drain pump in for 18 days!!!!!!!! They said it was from me over doing it the first week :( I have 4 kids...it's close to impossible to NOT over do it.

Cincinnati -The Plastic Surgery Group

My incision came open around 8 days post op... it's still just getting larger. I feel like my dr keeps back tracking, they did tell me it'd get worse before better, but they tell me to stand up straight to stretch out my muscles, but it stretches open my incision :/

When I went in for my consultations(went to three different doctors) they all said the wound opening is due to either the person was a smoker, has diabetes or healing issues. That made me feel better. I am not sure if any of that is the case with this person.
Just saw this post. I too am going to this group for a consultation next week. I have heard good things about them. Do you think your experience is unique or typical? Could you share your docs name with me? Have you heard from others who share your same experience with this group? Your story really scares me! I would never want to go through that!
Would you mink letting me know who did your tummy tuck? I am going there for a consulation next week. any information would help. Thanks a bunch!
OMG that's excactly Wat I'm going through right now its been about 2 months already n it hasn't closed.. how long did it take ur incision to close n how did it end up looking. . Any info would help. . Thanks
if you don't mind sharing, who specifically at the plastic surgery group was your surgeon? I'm scheduled to get the same procedure done in a week with them and after this am having serious second thoughts.

How are you doing?  Have not heard from you in a while and hope things are getting better.
Barb. I agree with all comments made. Even with my incision set back, I'm still progressing along. Oct 27th I'll be 6 wks post. If it wasn't for the incision problem, my energy level is just where it should be. Hang in there. Please DO NOT over extend yourself. Accept all the help you can get. Each day and week gets easier.
I'm 2 weeks post op, still have drains in and feel pain in my left side. No opening of incision but feel like i've taken 2 steps back. I had tt and lipo of hips and thighs. I agree my dr. told me 3-4 days were the worst...not 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions anyone.

Hang in there Barb :)  The first few weeks are tough but will get better and better with time.
Like kimmers said hang in there. For me the worst part was being told that I would be fine in two weeks.Because when I was not every day became a struggle. For me this is how my recovery was

First two weeks you need someone to help take care of you

after the two weeks you can take care of yoursefl

after 6 weeks you can take care of someone else.

You feel me that is the best way I can explain it please be patient and think of it like giving birth your body went through alot and if you need something for pain take it you just had major surgery.

6 weeks is the real breaking point where your about 95% better
Thanks. I'm contacting my PCP or Chief of General Surgery. I'll have one of them look at it. What was your normal day of eating proteins? Thanks a million for your responses.
No and up until 4 week I was really crunched over and then 4 weeks to 8 weeks I was a little. I just got used to walking like an old women. I was so afraid of splitting open.

Are you sure you don't have an infection?

My is a dime size now but in the begining it was the size of a gulf ball!

I had an infections two of them. Now at ten weeks it is the size of a dime and this morning finally closed. YIPPIE

Go to your regular doctor to double check things. My regular doctor was a saint through all this. He cared for the infection. And gave me axiety meds to help me get through this.
Tess, thanks for sharing. Were you able to stand up straight. I'm purposely not because I'm afraid of making it worse. My area is split much bigger than a dime and the areas next to it looks inflammed, as if it could split as well. How much protein were you eating?
Ladies it does get better go look at my profile it was bad I'm 10. Weeks its the size of a dime
I ate protein and I really Don't care for meat. I took vitamins n zink. I laid my mid section flat as much as I could. I gained weight but I'm alive. I also was put on antibodics.
Yes I been wet and dry packing mine I have been working the past 6 weeks it was tuff at first I'm 10 weeks post op I pray we Get better
Hello, I fully understand how you feel. I'm 5 wks post TT and my incision has split, approx same size as yours. I'm told to clean wound 2xdaily and apply silver sulfadiazine cream and it'll heal from inside out. I just hope I'm able to sit and walk comfortably to return to work in the next 3.5 weeks. I'll keep you in my prayers. This is not what I expected.
Hi there... just wondering how u r doing... hope things are better now.
Look at my profile if u have any questions ask. I went through same thing. It gets better but not in two weeks they say things to keep u calm n positive. Its going to take time I'm being honest because it drove me nuts when each week past n I was not better. It does get better but it is a process. Big hugs
Sorry you are going through this...your need to keep a close eye on this and be very persistent with your doctor. If you don't get anywhere with your doc I would go see another plastic surgeon for a second opinion. Don't mess around with this. Also make sure you are eating enough lean protein...that is very important for proper healing.

I'm sorry your healing as been difficult. I know it's hard, but it's really important that you not do too much, too soon. This will slow down the healing process.

Here is what some doctors have to say about incisions opening after a tummy tuck. Please keep us posted on how you're doing. And I really hope you can have a fun, relaxing time on your vacation.