Body Lift Done by Dr. Capella - Ramsey, NJ

I had a Lower Body Lift done on January 3rd by Dr....

I had a Lower Body Lift done on January 3rd by Dr. Joseph Capella, and so far, I am very happy! Even though I am only 2-days out from the surgery, the results are astonishing! First let me start off by telling you about my surgeon and his team:

Things like liposuction, or the medial thigh lift did not really apply to my body type, and he felt that I could do without those additional procedures. One other surgeon had recommended that I do the thigh lift, despite my thighs being relatively normal size. The cost for this surgery would have been an additional $3750 for this surgeon; and I dont think I needed it. I really appreciated Dr. Capella's honesty, and not looking to make as much money off his patients as possible.

After the surgery (performed at Hackensack Medical Plaza in a beautiful, pristine facility), I was in recovery for a few hours with a nurse who was tending to me and just one other patient. She was also wonderful.

CareOne Recovery
After the short time in recovery, the Ambulette came and whisked me away to CareOne in Paramus, NJ (a Nursing Facility). I received a lot of attention and care at CareOne, and the staff were incredible (joking with me as they took care of my drains, and checked my blood pressure etc).

Pain
I underestimated what the recovery would be like, at least initially :-) Having had c-sections for my pregnancies, and previous surgeries, I thought this surgery would be run-of-the mill, and I would be just fine. I ended up alternating Percocet and Tylenol w/Codeine every few hours to help manage the pain. As long as you expect that it's going to hurt, and be uncomfortable, then you should be OK. The worst part for me was the tightened muscles (Dr. Joe warned me that this part would hurt). It was like I had done a million sit-ups. I could barely move my abdomen. It felt like it would split open! Now that I am on day 2, I am starting to get some feeling back around the incision sites (which go all the way around your body... hence the term 360 degree body lift), and it hurts a bit, but is more uncomfortable than painful. As long as I take the pain medication every 4-6 hours, and drink a lot, and keep walking in short increments, I think this will help.

My New Body
Dr. Capella removed 7.5 pounds of fat and excess skin from my body. I was a size 10 (I had one pair of size 8 pants) before surgery. Since I am still swollen, and not wearing normal clothes, I have no idea what I will be once I return to wearing clothes. Maybe a size 8? Either way, my tummy is flat, my thighs are much smoother, and I am thrilled with what I see so far! And this is only 2-days post op!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Your review is very detailed and a great help to the rest of the community!

Happy healing and please do keep us updated with your progress!

I am so happy for you! I found your post very encouraging! It's especially comforting knowing you are up and walking a bit. I know I will have to be too, but it sort of baffles me. This is actually my biggest concern. How do you even manage to get up? Do you need a helper? How are you sleeping, in a recliner or bed, perhaps on your head? Your positive outlook is wonderful. I have hit that space where I am slightly scared (probably pretty appropriate) but reading about how it goes for others helped a ton. So please continue to share your story with us. Sending lots of love and joy your way, blessings.
Haha Serpent! No worries, you won't be sleeping on your head! In fact the pain medication goes a long way with getting me up and moving around. I struggled with doing TOO much, and when that happened, I started to feel more pain within a couple hours. But I'm talking that I was trying to do things like laundry and dishes, and cleaning the kitchen; all things that are no buenos during recovery :-) but you will be fine! As long as I try to rest (2 hours of rest, and 1 hour of being up and about) that seems to work for me! I am sleeping in a reclining chair with lots of pillows around me, so I'm extra comfy. I don't know how people do it with a bed lying flat. I would think that you need to be propped up a good amount with pillows. If you have or can get your hands on a recliner, do it!

This morning, I am one week out from surgery. I...

This morning, I am one week out from surgery. I have a couple things to report:

First, I had 2 of the pesky drains removed yesterday (was going to be today, but they needed to change my appt to accommodate a surgical client who added to her procedure... No prob for me!!!). Second, I spiked a fever. Obviously, #s 1 and 2 were related since I felt like a champ before having the drains removed.

Drains:
Went into the office and saw Scott/Dr. C, who told me that I was doing great, walking around, and they were really impressed with my progress (not really hunched over at all... Which I attribute to my activity lever! Walk around people!!)

Scott gave me two shots of numbing medications on either side of my crotch area, so it would be "humane" as he called it, when he removed the two innermost drains. I don't know why they chose the inner ones, they just did. One deep breath, not a drop of pain later, and my two drains were out. The gentleman explained that I would have some oozing from the drain site, because they don't want to close up the wound with a stitch and risk an infection. Go buy some surgical pads from your local pharmacy, it will suck up all the oozy goodness (which I have changed about 4x so far).

Fever:
3 hours after the appt, I started feeling icky. I had the chills, and I started to get warm. I also had discomfort around the drain site (which they said would be normal for a few days). I chalked it up to having had the 2 drains removed and watched a movie. Over the next 5-6 hours, I became lethargic, feverish, and even a little off in my thinking. I had hard time processing my thoughts. My temp was 102.4. We called Dr. C. He was calm and told me that if is not uncommon for people to have a feverish reaction to the removal of the drains. More research explained that the drains had become a part of the body, and in removing them, my body was responding as though there was a predator or enemy attacking it. Antibiotics, according to Dr. Joe were likely not needed, but he wanted me to call the office the following day, to make sure the fever was gone. In the meantime, take 2 extra strength Tylenol (separate from the pain pills). He was really nice about my late 10pm call...

I will, at this point be providing you guys with a 2 week update (when the other drains are out), a 4-week update, 2-month update, when the swelling has started to subside, and then a 6-month. This was you can see the progression. I will try to find some before pics for you too!
Hi there,how is it going for you? I hope you are well :)
I hope that fever broke quickly after your call. That must have been a little scary. It's so wonderful to hear that you are up and around. I will definitely remember your 2:1 rest:activity plan. It really seems to be working out for you. We're you instructed to kind of lay low for a few days after drain removal, to avoid swelling? (more swelling I should say)
nope, they never told me to change anything; and I definitely wasnt aware that I could spike a fever from the removal of the drains... but now we know! what I am trying to do now is get myself weaned off the Percocet completely, and only use the Tylenol Codeine at night. my body seems to want the Percocet (when I dont take it, I have sweats, aches, back pain, etc), it's almost like early withdrawal, which is funny, because I wasnt abusing it. So, now, I am just replacing it with extra strength Tylenol :-) not as much fun but I dont have pain with that either, so it does the job.

Two Weeks Later... So, I will start my update...

Two Weeks Later...

So, I will start my update by saying that my experience is NOT the norm, and even with all the difficulties, I still am happy that I did the surgery, and I am still pleased with my surgeon. Let me tell what has transpired...

10 days after the surgery, I woke up in the morning, feeling a pain in the calf of my left leg. I figured that I had maybe had a Charlie horse in the middle of the night, and I tried working it out that day. it was sore and tough, but I was able to put pressure on it. It just hurt. I had already had 2 of my drains removed, and I was doing well otherwise. Around this same time, I also began to notice that one of my drains was putting out more of a pus-like fluid than blood. Well, I knew this wasn't normal, so I called Dr. Capella and he scheduled me to come in on Monday (1/14) to have the drains removed (which would be 3 days earlier than normal). During my phone call, I should have mentioned my leg pain to Dr. C, but I didn't think to, since it was just a Charlie horse. I continued to walk on my leg, despite the pain, and after another day or so, I couldn't take it. Monday morning came and 6:30am I called Dr. Capella and said, "I probably should have mentioned this to you, but my leg is killing me." He told me to get to the hospital, as I might have developed a blood clot.

In the ER, they did testing and determined that I had developed a blood clot in my leg (Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT) which had also spread to my lungs causing multiple pulmonary emboli (bilateral - in both lungs). I remained in the hospital from 1/14 until today 1/18 (just discharged this evening actually), and I am on blood thinners and antibiotics.

I will say though, Dr. Capella visited me in the hospital twice (and this is not his jurisdiction). He made an obscene number of phone calls to my treating physicians to ensure that they were including him in my treatment planning. When one of the doctors wasn't listening to me about pressing to hard on my belly, I told Dr. Capella, who spoke to this Dr., and magically, this Dr became the nicest of my treating physicians in the hospital.

Now that I am out, I am rehabbing myself. walking slowly, taking it easy, and starting from scratch. I still believe the surgery was worth it for me, and everytime I hear someone tell me how amazing I look (despite how swollen I am), I feel so good. I think the blood clot was an eye opener for me to slow down, and I intend to do so. :-) I wont be posting any pictures until I can get myself standing straight again, because I don't think it would benefit anyone to see where I'm at right now. So, maybe I will post some pics 1-month post-op.
Wow! I am glad you received the care you needed and are back on the healin path. Whew! Thank you for letting us know you made it safely through that part. Be well

I am just a couple days past my 1 month...

I am just a couple days past my 1 month anniversary from the surgery date :-) I have already noticed a difference in my clothes, appearance, and body shape. I was wearing a 10 before surgery, and while I am still in my 10s (since my lower abdomen, around the incision area, is still a bit swollen) they are loose. My top size went from Large to Medium (which is funny because I only had the lower body lift), but I am wearing tighter, form fitting tops and getting compliments EVERYWHERE I go! People can't get over how "skinny" I've become.

There is no doubt that I will wear a bikini this summer. Dr. C's work was done so meticulously that the incision line is already fading a bit, and the raised "pie-crust" cut is starting to smooth into my skin. Everything is well hidden under my panties.

I will take pics for you guys this afternoon... But at this point, I am more than happy (even with the complications of my blood clots and initial infection), I am thrilled with the results... And apparently it only gets better when the swelling goes down completely!!!

It's like I am 21 again :-)
You look great! He is an artist. Like you I was so happy right after surgery! I can't wait to see when I'm completely healed!
How are you feeling? I am scheduling my body lift,(tummy tuck and butt lift) and I am beginning to experience some nervousness.
Hey Lizzy! I saw your other message too... Don't be too nervous (although some nervousness is expected). I feel great and the results were phenomenal. Even with the complications of the DVT and PEs, my body healed just fine and I am back to ship shop shape. No meds anymore and I look and feel great. I am down to a size 6, my tummy is flat, and the scars are fading... Be excited! You are about to embark on a great journey!
Ramsey Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Joe When I decided to go with Dr. Capella, I had already researched other surgeons in the NYC/NJ metro area. Having been on other consultations, Dr. Capella was far more patient-oriented than some other doctors (particularly the New York City ones that I went to, and I went to a couple of them). He spent a good deal of time with me, answering my questions, and reviewing the surgery in detail. He showed me pictures of the lower body lift that were similar to my profile, so that I would get a visual of how I could conceptualize the outcome (since I am a highly visual person). I also had lapband surgery, and Dr. Capella was very thorough in explaining how he would lower the port and make sure that my port was secure (there was an interesting finding re: the port that I will mention later). One thing I really liked about Dr. Capella (when comparing him to the other surgeons) was that he didnt push for extraneous procedures unless he thought it would benefit the outcome of the lower body lift. Dr. Capella's Staff The staff working with Dr. Joe are exceptional. From the office staff like Kimberly, who seemed to recognize me when I called (even though I didnt call often), and was able to give me information about my surgery statistics on the day after the surgery; to Terri, who managed every single aspect of my surgery from the moment I walked in that door to the day of my surgery (she was a God-sent!!). Scott, his surgical assistant, was professional, kind, and fun to look at :-) It was nice to deal with such a great set of people during what would normally be an anxiety-provoking situation.