Radiesse NIGHTMARE, Ruined my Nose, Lips, FACE!! =(

I swear, you couldnt pay me a million dollars to...

I swear, you couldnt pay me a million dollars to go through this agony again. I went in for non-surgery rhinoplasty to camouflage the hump on my nose. My derm boasted, "Hide the Hill by Filling in the Valley" - at the price of $1500 and knowing that it would have to be redone every year to maintain a filled valley.

I also wanted fuller lips, I had just had 3cc of Restylane put into my lips 2 months ago for $1000 and all vanished. So my doctor explained he only needs .3 cc to correct my nose, and the remaining 1 cc of Radiesse could be used in my lips and would last much longer than restylane. I just had to sign something that said radiesse can cause lumps and so on.

Well I had it put in my nose and lips 6 months ago on a Friday afternoon, hoping I could return to work on Monday. Well immediately following the injections, my lips swelled to enormous proportions, to twice the size I ever saw them after Restylane. The Radiesse company claims Radiesse cannot produce an allergic reaction, but it turned out I did have an allergic reaction. I iced every hour on the hour for 1/2 hour.

After 48 then 72 hours passed, the swelling and redness was still there, in my lips. My nose just felt like something heavy was pressing down on it. I called in sick Monday, Tuesday. Wednesday. On Thursday morning I went to the hospital and had a cortisone shot. Blood tests for infection but no infection found but they confirmed I had an allergic reaction.

I ended up using up my sick days so Thursday through the following Thursday I ended up taking a week of "Vacation" as the swelling only slowly slowly went down. I ended up having the stay home and miss work and social events for a full two weeks.

My lips ended up over-filled like a blowfish, still at 6 months. With lots of lumps on the inside even 1 going back toward my cheeks. My teeth hit them when I am eating and sometimes draw blood. The top lump at the corner of my mouth inside, is very noticeable when I am talking and even peeks out the corner of my mouth on the slightest grin or smile.

I was told to massage and press the nodules to make them shrink months ago, but obviously that's not working. If anything, they are growing and growing in size. I stopped pressing after a few weeks since it seems the pressing causes some of the white filler to surface through tiny pores on the OUTside of my lips and it looks like white freckles or mottling all over my lips now. I had the biggest lump cut out last month but the amount of blood and healing time caused me to tell my new doctor not to bother doing the same for each and every one. I am told to wait another 6 months and they should shrink away. Time will tell?

Also, on my nose, the filler turned into a white, spherical lump that looks like a huge boil above my nose bridge hump. I am a person with an olive tan complexion, so it shows alot even to the point I have been asked several times by strangers if I have the Michael Jackson disease! People upon meeting me look at the lump above my nose for a moment, only then look me in the eyes to talk. Sometimes this lump moves around like clay under my skin - some morning I wake up and its closer to my right eye whilst other days it stays more to the left.

I have heard that the company has received numerous professional complaints about such complications. I think they have lied and blamed these problems on "old" lots but its just a coverup. They make $300 for each tiny syringe they sell and it's really just a cellulose gel that provides the immediate satisfactory results.

However, they don't tell you that what calcium hydroxyapatite is is calcium that includes hydroxide and phospate, and these two chemicals in my experience did cause an allergic chemical reaction under my skin and in my lips, and the body 6 months later is still trying to push it out to the surfact in granules of calcium like sand. Radiesse ought to be sued under class action.

Ps. I'm very happy with my doctor and his placement and technique He is very well known and has a long list of celebrities S clients. The product contains a form of calcium that can leave crystal or salt like deposits and these deposits can travel. A lot of people think they have cystic acne when in fact it's calcium crystals and very difficult to treat. I even ended up with one traveling to my lip. It's not fun and there was no warning on the product materials at the time of my treatments.
I had Radiesse injected into the sidewall area of my nose to "temporarily" fill in where a graft dissolved post rhinoplasty. I was told it would go away after about a year. The area where the Radiesse was injected resulted in a granulomatous lump (looks like a wart) and the area is lumpy, bumpy, and the skin is a mottled color indicating probably some compromised circulation. My nose and skin will NEVER be the same. I am devastated and it has affected my confidence. I can't cover it up with makeup. This was a PS at UCLA who did this to me. I've since been told that Radiesse should never be injected in the nose (or under the eyes). There is no reversing the lumps that form (unlike hyaluronic acid fillers). Radiesse, like its evil twin, Artefill/Artecol should be pulled off the market
Had the same happen to me. Go to a board certified plastic surgeon & have it removed. They can probably fill the gap with internal cartilege from your nose. A tiny scar will be easy to hide with make up compared to the lump/discoloration you are enduring. Been there, done that, it worked out great for me.
I was told there is too much scar tissue. My skin is adhered and stuck in the area of injection. They worry that any skin dissection may result in more damage. I'm so glad you were able to resolve the problem. How I wish I never had those radiesse injections! My skin looks reddish/bluish and don't move when I animate my face. Thank you for your reply. Radiesse is such a bad product.
I ermalso have a radiesse nightmare a year later Injected between my eyes side mouth chin by the way thought i was getting Juvaderm (bait & switch) pain pain pain still cant breath (sinus problems polyps devaited septem) vision problems my teeth hurt my whole face. Sign me up for that lawsuit. My whole life is ruined and no one maybe believes or understands even though my CT scan is showing it. The radinesse company swares it is not because of their product. I have permanant scarring FOREVER pain and disfigurement. At this point I would take further face disfigure over this pain if given a choice I am soo over this I want to stick a knife in my ears YES EARS the most pain is in my inner ears and jaw even my teeth hurt It has been over a year for me. Somtimes i wish i was dead It really sucks Yes I can relate.
Ah I wish I was dead to is the easy way for me out I can't deal and I refuse to deal for many months to come with this pain in my face my ear . Constant heat pain my sinus I never had problem before and yes I can feel your pain and I wish by now u feel much better . :(

I had radiesse injection in my cheeks and marionette area. I became extremely nauseous and almost fainted. Then my hands went numb and I could not form words. After they had me lay down with my feet up I began to feel better, but after I left it all started over again. I thought I was stroking out. Eventually after drinking a lot of clod fluids I began to feel better but woozy the rest of the day. My entire face swelled up and became very red for a couple days. I have a couple lumps that actually make the maronette lines look worse and my under eye are has dark valleys with puffy teabags above them. I don't look monstrous, but definately worse than before I spent the money.

My injections were don 7 month ago and I promissed myself to tell everybody who is frastrated and depressed now as I was for the last 4-5 month ,You will get better in 5-6 month it starts to dissolve. Massages under eyes 2times a day and a good eye creams, Do not use steroids and antibiotics-they don;t work. I will try shots in the nasolabials folds,but never clouse to my eyes. Do't be depressed it will pass.
I just had radiesse done -- pretty good results, but they really don't make much difference. My doc is talented at injecting but not so great at figuring out what needs to be done, so I decide that. Also his botox never, ever works -- I think he is putting in the wrong amount of water because everywhere else I go it works perfectly.
The DOCTORS are the ones overselling and injecting in unrecommended sites. The patients are NOT taking the syringe and doing it to themselves.

who told you all tha radiesse is for the lips or for he nose????? you should only use that in the lines of expression in the cheeks

Radiesse is not approved for lips. All doctors know that Radiesse is not to be used for lip injections. I'm sorry that you guys had to endure this. I'm a PS and I love using Radiesse for the face but I've been trained numerous times and even the company tells you that this product is not used in the lips hence why it is not approved for lips by the FDA. Sounds like the doctors were experimenting on ya'll. But I do love using Radiesse for facial contours and all patients love it.

Hmm...it would make me mad if a doc played down such a very dire situation. I am going to "tell" on him to my doc -- and when I see MY ps if he plays my not as bad situation down I'll be pissed!! I am so sorry for you -- it sounds like something got infected, not BURNED -- that's impossible. Now, it does swell up for the next couple of days to a week after, even with ice and proper care, but yours sounds like there was something not sterile introduced...how is it doing now? I am so sorry for you!!
Hello,I'm so glad I found someone to write to about this horrible experience. I've been getting injection into the nasal labiol folds for years.I have enjoyed the results for the most part. I just honestly felt it was too much money for it only lasting about a month and it was of course painful to have the injections.So I now only have the treatment for "special" occasions. Well, this week I was going to a wedding and had been planning to have a treatment so I could look nice for the occassion. I've NEVER been told there was a even remote possiblity of a reaction, or ANYTHING and so I never thought a second about having the proceedure done.That is until now!!!!! I had it done last Thursday, and all seemed well until during the night my face started to sting, and I woke up in pain.By early Friday morning my eye was swollen shut and my right cheek looked like I had been in a fight black and blue. Now of course, it was the 4th of July weekend and my nurse was on vacation and the doctor told me via phone to message it(ha ha)It was to tender to touch !!.It started to split and crack like a over cooked egg. By Friday afternoon it was so sensitive and swollen my husband (who is a doctor...a stomach specialist)gave me some steroids to take the swelling down. He also gave me some antibiotics. After the holiday weekend,I got to see the doctor and the nurse and they were SHOCKED to see the condition my face was in.Of cousre they played it down and the doctor said I had a "burn" on the inside(whatever that means)and that it would heal and that it would just take time and I'd be fine. My face in "pink" and skin in full of pus and horrible looking and guess what the wedding is TOMORROW.I won't be going. I feel horrible.
I had almost the same thing happen. My face was swollen, my eye was almost swollen shut, my lip was swollen and the pain was horrible. My face now bares a raised scar, uneven texture and extreme discoloration at the injection site. The infection ate away at the skin. Not to mention the damage done to my body from being on antibiotics for over a month. The doctor that injected the Radiesse did research when it was found that I had an infection. He found Radiesse had a recall on vials because a contaminate was found in them. Supposedly the vial used on me was not on the list. How can they say beyond a shadow of doubt that the vials used on me where not contaminated? This was not my first time using Radiesse I had not had problems in the past. Now I’m afraid to do anything including facials. I have to wear make up when I go out to cover the discoloration but the scarring still shows through. This is hard for me because before I really didn’t need or use cover up. I’m so self conscious especially since I work with the public on a daily basis. This is a horrible lesson to have to live with for something I chose to do to myself. But more importantly for the company not to own up to the damage that was done to me is just ghastly. I can say that because the doctor contacted them and told them what had happened to me. They informed him because the batch used on me was not a part of the recall they refused to acknowledge or do anything.

I just had my radiesse injections done 7 days ago. I have had filler done several times in the past and have never had any problems like I have this time. My cheeks were filled with little white puss all over that soon crusted over. My doctor precribed me Methylprednisolone and the antibiotic Keflex which I've only been taking about 3 days. My face looks horriable. Now I have uneven texture, redness, raised scarring with discoloration on my checks and a huge fat lump sinking below my lip. Can anyone recommend a cream for the face, to fix the raised scarring?

I had similar situation a week go. Became very swollen, unven red skin and pus.Was the problem resolved and what was the treatment? thanks, maramara
Well...I spoke too soon. I went back to my trusted ps in VA and did swomething really really dumb. I had lost a bit of weight and had a dent in my lower cheek area between the cheekbone and the jawline. I asked him to plump it up with radiesse. I didn't have patience to wait to gain the weight back, and I wanted that healthy young look back in my cheeks. I never thought what it would look like if I did gain the weight back (WAY too large) or what it would look like if it got too saggy and jowly. Long story short I now look ten years older than my age, with long saggy jowls that I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO ASK AND PAY FOR!!! I want to kill myself and I wish I could have my too thin face back.,....now what doI do?????I need this stuff OUT -- does anyone have any suggestions? I look so ugly I cannot leave my house and am losing work! I am running out of money and want to die.
Hope you're feeling better inside and out. I'm also suffering depression after a bad filler experience and never leave the house anymore.
Sunshine,
no one deserves an accident, first of all. Your comment comes off very mean spirited.

Second, the company that makes Radiesse hires RNs to train physicians and nurses. They don't have board certified plastic surgeons train for them.

Third, plastic surgeons mainly do plastic surgery. Fillers are boring for most surgeons!!! Registered nurses who do nothing but injections can be excellent injectors and artists if they are well-trained.

The RN employed by RADIESSE to train me is the one who scarred my face. BioForm Medical, the company that makes Radiesse did NOTHING to help me heal. I was on my own. This is the very worst customer service ever. It has been over a year since they caused my skin to rot off and scar. They have not checked on me once. Shame on this company!!!
How are you doing now? I have been following this and now am scared of so many things....had Radiesse a while back and was thinking of doing it again. Is there anything you WOULD advise using since radiesse seems scary. It sucks because I have paid already for two vials of Radiesse that now I don;t want to use. They never tell you all this stuff but I guess we need to keep ourselves informed. Injector nurse, thank you so much for your intelligent and thorough writings!

Hi sunshine,

While your involvement in the community is great, your judgment of others is not. RealSelf provides a safe place for community members to discuss their procedures, find help and support. If you had Radiesse we would love to hear about your experience, but please remember judging isn't necessary.

-Britt

How many of you had these treatments by board certified plastic surgeons? For those of you who chose to be injected by anyone other than a board certified plastic surgeon deserve what happened to you.
Actually, just to sunshine09: I did see a very respected ps and he did not give me any lumps or bumps....sometimes it's just bad luck, but certainly the patient cannot be blamed! I don't like mine for different reasons -- I didn't want all that volume in those areas, but I could tell he knew his stuff. It's my fault in a way for asking for it, and his for injecting it when he should have realized how silly my request was!
You're an idiot to state that people deserve this. I went to a dermatologist, licensed in Michigan who has been in business over 30 years. They are certified by Radiesse to distribute, it's not like any of us went to a back door house clinic. We go to medical professionals & rely on their medical knowledge/degree. Let me guess, you're affiliated with Radiesse somehow?