Best Plastic Surgeon Ever - NEW PICS!!

I had a traumatic pregnancy and delivery 18 years...

I had a traumatic pregnancy and delivery 18 years ago. Previously, I had been somewhat overweight for most of my teens and 20s. After my pregnancy, I lost 75 lbs and kept it off for 18 years. Unfortunately, the skin on my abdomen didn't retract and over the past 10 years, it got to the point where it didn't just fold over in the center. When I sat down, it folded over my lap from hip to hip. This caused horrible rashes in warm weather. After last summer, I decided that I really needed to repaid my abdomen.

I went to see one plastic surgeon who told me that he couldn't even consider surgery on me unless I lost at least 20 lbs. He also thought I needed to have my entire back liposuctioned. Note: I didn't have a problem with my back prior to that appointment. At that visit, my weight was a little up at 136 lbs. Unfortunately, I know myself very well and know that keeping my weight around 129-130 is as low as I can go without completely overhauling my life. More importantly, I actually think I had a pretty cute figure, my tummy not withstanding. I was mortified and deeply upset.

Fortunately, my brother is a surgeon and he asked the plastics nurses at the local hospitals who they would recommend and they said Dr. Z. So I saw Dr. Z who looked at me for only a couple of minutes and said, "Yes, I can fix that!" He also thought my weight was fine. (Mind you, I weighed 130 on that day.)

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Yesterday (4/17), I went for my 2nd post op...

Yesterday (4/17), I went for my 2nd post op appointment. Unfortunately, Dr. Z found a good size hematoma on my abdomen. He used a large syringe to aspirate some lovely inky black blood. Then he had the nurses wrap me in a compression garment. Dr. Z doesn't like compression garments for the first two weeks post surgery because he doesn't want circulation to the incision to be compromised. He even objected to my bra being too tight! (But oh so cute.) I told him I am wearing a loose underwire free sports bra at home.

Today, 18 hours after wearing the compression garment, I feel like the swelling might be a touch improved. But when I compare tonight's pictures from 6 days ago, it's a bit disheartening. I looked better then than I do now! Mind you, the dents from the compression garment don't help. I will try to up load pics now. But not tonight's. I'll try again in a few days. And if those make me happy, I'll consider uploading today's sad ones. In a nutshell, I look 20-30% bigger than I did before surgery. I'm a swellaholic.

it's amazing how much modesty we loose :) I can't believe I've got actual "girl parts" on my photos. YOU are looking fantastic - congratulations brave lady, chin up and heal well!
Your pics are super! You have no bruising. And no drains. Oh the jealousy!
Totally hear you on the drain jealousy - I got them out on Tuesday - so they were in for 13 days - seriously wasn't aloud to shower until day 15 - ARGH! so yes - I wish you the best during this most stinky and traumatic period! HANG IN

Things I forgot to mention before. I am 45,...

Things I forgot to mention before. I am 45, married to the love of my life. I am 5 ft 2.5 in. I weighed 129 the day of surgery.

Day 15 P.O. Two days ago, my PS found a good size hematoma on my abdomen. He aspirated some of it and sent me home in a binder with both of my drains in tact. Allow me to tell you, I can't live with this right drain for another hour. It's the drain or me. In two hours, only one of us is getting driven back home by Stud Muffin. I am prepared to negotiate the continued presence of the equally unloved but less despised left drain. But the right one ... has to GO.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

He pulled my drains. Both of them. I love Z very...

He pulled my drains. Both of them. I love Z very very much. The first one was absolutely ready to go. Only 15 ccs yesterday. And it was exquisitely sore. I couldn't sleep at all last night. But the other one wasn't far behind on the pain level so he pulled that too. Interestingly, the second one hurt more on removal and I expected it to not hurt at all because the first one barely hurt. All in all, drain removal was not a big deal. And life without drains is a beautiful thing.

You look great! We both had surgeries around the same time. I loved how I looked the day my drains came out, but the swelling that has occurred thereafter is very disheartening.......I am hoping to get some relief soon.
I can't believe the first doc said to loose 20 lbs! He must not be a good enough surgeon to handle a tummy tuck! Glad you didn't stop there! And I'm so sorry to hear about the hematoma. How did he know it was there? Was it black ? Was it bouncing around? Could it come back? And btw, your gonna be so happy with yourself once the swelling is gone!!!!! Can't wait for more pix.
Hi Kricken, and thanks for the kind words. My husband took photographs this afternoon. But he was literally distraught as he said the pictures didn't resemble the woman he was looking at. I don't know if it was the harsh afternoon light ... or his myopia. Either way, I am a lucky woman that he likes what he sees, not what the camera records. I am going to store up some pics for the moment and when we reach a point where the pictures are less upsetting to Stud Muffin, I will upload them.

Photographs, weeks 3 - 9

I went for my 9 week follow up on Monday. I felt a stitch *pop* on the incision line the previous Thursday. Afterward, I had a little fluid in the area. It is mostly resolved now. My incision is healing very nicely but of course I forgot to take pictures of it. I haven't had as much swelling as other people have. My PS recommended 100 crunches a day. I am doing that and am back on the treadmill. I am not a runner but I do a fast walk 4.0-4.2 mph (my legs are short!). I still have a large numb area from just above my belly button to the incision line. I have one dog ear on my left hip but Dr. Z will fix this in September. He and his team have been terrific and I am very happy with the results.

Photographs Weeks 8 - 9

Apparently, I hit post update too soon on the last update and didn't include the most recent pictures.

Last but not least -- the BEFORE picture. Terrifying

I think we can all agree that Z is a miracle worker ...

You look great!
I loved reading this! I too am 45 and had the same surgery done by Dr. Z. I felt like I was reliving my post op experience through reading yours. I agree, Dr.Z is an amazing surgeon and I trust him completely. He is a true gem and the only surgeon that will touch my body! Congrats on your transformation, it looks fabulous!!!!
looking really good!

NEW PICS! 5 months + Touch Up Surgery

The pictures accompanying this post were actually taken a month ago. This morning I went in for a few revisions post full (nearly extended if you look at my scars) tummy tuck. I had one tiny dog ear on the right side, more of a pucker really. I had a small crease on the left side. And I had a small fat pad just above the central portion of the abdominal scar. Based on what I have read in some of the other reviews, I am very, very glad I went to Dr. Z. A lot of other doctors might have blown off two of the three areas that I wanted tweaked. (Check the pictures.) It takes a plastic surgeon five minutes to excise and resew a small dog ear. It takes a lot longer to liposuction and then refill a crease before liposuctioning along the abdominal scar.

As always, Dr. Z's nurses were and are wonderful. Maggie was on duty today. She administered the local anesthesia (Lidocaine) and she did a phenomenal job. I had absolutely zero pain during the entire procedure from start to finish. Note: The Lidocaine itself does have a significant sting during injection. It lasts moments. And nothing else provides that level of comfort for local procedures.

Dr. Z took plenty of time with me. My appointment was at 9 am. I left with my husband sometime after 10:30 am. There was no charge for today's appointment. I continue to be thrilled with my choice of plastic surgeon. As an added bonus, I recently had a check up with my internist who said my results are amazing as are the results of his other Dr. Z patients.

Thanks for recommendation
Nice job on posting pics! You look great! I have slacked on posting new pics but will get on that soon. I also have a revision Dr. Z said he will do in 2 weeks. My old bb scar did not heal too good, so he said he can fix that right in his office, and I have one tiny bump on one hip....not sure if it is really worth even touching. I am about 5 months post op....and my scar is similar to yours and getting beter everyday. Do you put anything at all on yours?
I have done nothing to the scar as Z said the best thing for it is time. In his experience, none of the OTC scar treatments work. And if a prescription one did, I'm sure he would be handing out scrips. Post pics!!! And good luck with the revision. Honestly, it's a cakewalk.
Providence Plastic Surgeon

My brother is a surgeon and he asked the plastics nurses at the local hospitals who they would see for surgery. They recommended Dr. Z. I love everything about Dr. Z. I think he is just super. He answers emails and texts right away. His nurses are lovely and very gentle.