Face Lift & Upper Eyelids - Prague, Czech Republic

I am approaching my 50th birthday this year, so I...

I am approaching my 50th birthday this year, so I decided to prepare mentally and physically by having a facelift and an upper eyelids done.

I live close to Beverly Hills well known for its plastic surgeons, but I do not know any of them personally, nor do I have any friends with good experience from surgery done in Beverly Hills (I have one friend with bad experience). So I chose to go overseas for plastic surgery: not in search of a cheaper procedure, but because the doctor came highly recommended. My trip cost me about $10,000 total with airfare, hotel, meals, etc. but it ended up being a very pleasant vacation.

I arrived to my hotel (across the street from my doctor's clinic) on Sunday night and was seen by my surgeon next morning (preliminary consultation was done via e-mail and was free).

Next morning I came in for surgery. I had to spend at least one night at the clinic after my surgery (cost included into the total above) in a private room with a bathroom . I could stay longer at the rate about $150 per night if I wished. My surgery was performed under local anestesia and lasted about 3 hours. There was no discomfort and I communicated with the doctor and his team.

After surgery I got into my bed and started waiting for pain to come while applying the ice bags. Pain never came. My doctor later explained that this particular type of surgery is known not to cause pain during recovery period: just strange feelings of tightening as if rubber bands are pulling my face up and to the back of the neck.

My doctor visited me on the surgery night around 9:00PM, and then next morning he was in my room to see me at 8:00AM at which point he removed 4 drains from my head and said that if I am feeling well I can go and "enjoy Prague". He warned me not to bend forward and to sleep seated (head and neck have to be above the heart level at all times), but he encouraged me to take long walks. And that is what I was doing for the next 7 days before my flight back to the US: I was enjoying Prague indeed. The city is architecturally beautiful, clean and safe. And I came at the right time of the year: April, nature coming back to life with fresh leaves and glorious spring blossoms, feeling of rebirth and rejuvenation practically in the air... I think it all helped recovery.

I have seen my doctor one more time: on the 5th day after surgery I came to have stitches from my eyelids removed. By then I could wash my hair. It is a different approach here to post surgery treatment: unlike the U.S. practice you are not given antibiotics automatically. If you have no fever, you do not need antibiotics they feel. Pain pills were provided to me, but I did not use any as there was no pain. Also doctor did not advise me to use hydrogyn peroxide or any oinments (again, unless infected).

I had lots of swelling and bruising as it is supposed to be, but most of swelling was gone during week one, and bruising is practically gone as of today, the 16th day after surgery. I understand the face will be settling for about a year. I cannot say how many years younger I look after surgery than before. But what I see in the mirror today is my face before it was distorted by time, and I absolutely love it.

Photo Update

Well it has been a month since my surgery now, and...

Well it has been a month since my surgery now, and it just keeps getting better! No need to conceal any bruising at all. The last two pictures I am posting are from the parties: one before and another 1 month after surgery.

Today I am adding pictures of my incisions 1 month...

Today I am adding pictures of my incisions 1 month after surgery.

It will soon be 4 months pos-op, and so far so...

It will soon be 4 months pos-op, and so far so good. Scars are still very visible pink. I was advised plasma injections to make them pale, but I did not have this procedure done yet.
I found a picture taken by my nurse on the day of surgery resting in my room, here it is.

Well, almost 2 years passed since my surgery. I...

Well, almost 2 years passed since my surgery. I still am thrilled with the results, and consider it the best investment of funds into my looks. There was no reversal of any surgery effects, just the normal further aging.
Dr. Pros

Amazing results.....i must look at Dr Pros.
please give me the contact details for Dr.Pros. I would like to have the same procedure done. Thank you. Anna from Switzerland
Thanks for sharing the name of your doctor. I've been meaning to go to Prague, anyway!
you had a facelift with only local anaesthetic?
Yes, local. I was communicating with doctor during the operation. I remember him asking me to turn my head to let him work on the other side of the face.
Hi, you look amazing!! I think it must have been intravenous sedation the doctor used as anaesthetic. It is great you remember a part of the surgery, I do not know anyone who does :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING UR EXPERIENCE, U LOOK FANTASTIC,DO U THINK COULD BE SO KIND TO SEND ME UR DR.'S PHONE NUMBER , I COULD NOT FIND HIM ON LINE, ANYWAY MY E MAIL IS ......... gu******.com.......... thanks u very much. CUTE FACES

It looks better yet, one year later! Thanks for posting. Do you know if anyone else has gone to Prague to your doctor?
None of my friends did. When I finally find time to go, I will go with my husband to have a neck lift for his neck.
what is the name and email of your dr.?
I'm currently looking at doctors in southern California. I would love to seriously consider this doctor, but I don't want to make the trip by myself. If anyone is within 2 months of getting cosmetic surgery and would like to travel together, please send a comment back here.
This is something that sounds great, friends facelift!!!
Let me know if any of u find info about this doctor, and the info about flights cost etc, this could be do able. Count me in!
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I think it would be so much better if there were others who shared the same goals.
I personally am not planning this year. 3 of my girlfriends are planning, but I do not know how soon. If any of them are thinking of going this year I will let you know.
Reading the comments was so helpful. I live in San Diego and am starting my search for a surgeon who does excellent facelifts. I wouldn't mind going to Prague, but it would be nice to go with someone else who is also getting cosmetic surgery. Is anyone at that point? Don't know how to get in touch with me except on this forum. Nancy
Thank you for your detailed report on your recovery. You look beautiful. I am 3 days out and am concerned with swelling and tightness but seeing your photos at 4 days with some swelling and the big improvement at day 8 gives me hope.
My condition on day 4 was scary not only with swelling, but also with a huge bruise on my lower neck. I actually panicked and ran to my doctor (clinic was just across the street from my hotel). He reassured me that the amount of swelling and bruising was normal and that the condition will be improving gradually. Everything he ever told me was true.
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Was there any concern about flying so soon after surgery (assuming you returned to the states within two wks post-op)? My concern would be about developing DVTs...

Thanks,

Virginia
Well, I do not know what DVT is. While planning my trip I got a few different doctor's opinions on how soon after facelift one should travel by plane. Answers ranged from one week to 10 days minimum. I was flying on the 7th day after surgery. Flight itself did not bother me a bit, I slept all the way. However, all the airport procedures required long periods of standing in lines. This became very tough: I was sweating, dizzy, etc. I advise anybody flying that soon after surgery not to stand in lines, but to request a wheelchair and sit instead.
thanks for your good wishes.i will keep you posted.thursday is the big day! i live in santa monica and saw a bunch of dr.'s in bev hills before i found one i trusted.i am still so,so nervous.my neck has been what bothers me the most .i am hoping for just a refreshed,sublte look.so many scary stories on some of the other websites but this one seems to focus on positive results with very detailed recoveries.i am praying for a speedy recovery since i have two young twins and a job to get back to.they are worried about my being gone for a few days and i am feeling guilty to leave them for such a selfish reason. you look so great and i promise to let you know how it went when i get back home[two days at a recovery facility] xoxoxo.
thanks for sharing your story.i am going in for a fl in one week and i feel less scared after reading about your expirience.
Good luck to you dear Page, let me know how it will be going: moral support is very important as you will feel volnurable after surgery.
it all seems great,and you look wonderful.and as i live in the UK ,Prague is just a hop away.
I will be looking up Dr Pros....thankyou.
You are welcome, we are all here to help each other.

You look great. So glad it turned out for you.
how about the name and email of your doctor?