Hoping My Wings Will Fly Away -Portland, OR

Okay...here's my story. I got this tattoo when I...

Okay...here's my story. I got this tattoo when I was 17. Its a lovely piece. However, I got it for all the wrong reasons. A boy was the main influence. He was much older than me, into tattoos, and pressured me into getting it. Yes, I know. I'm pathetic. I got it to impress him and because of pressure from him. Well, I realized my mistake too late. Needless to say, the "love" did not last between us and he left me for some blonde bimbo with lots of tattoos. Now, 3 years later, I have decided to get it removed with laser removal. I was lucky enough to be accepted into a program called "Project Erase" here in Portland that charges $50 per session for tattoo removal.

I have been stuck in a rut ever since I got this tattoo. Stuck in the past. I feel that getting rid of the tattoo completely will get me out of this rut. I have moved on and past this "break-up", but I feel like I can't fully move on from the past until this tattoo is gone. Its not me and not something I feel like fits me anymore. I've considered getting rid of it for a long time and I've realized that I can't stand the look of it anymore. I want my normal back again. I feel like I am ready to find someone else to give my heart too, but I don't want to have to explain why I got this tattoo. I want a clean slate and back.

Wish me luck!

Alright, everyone. First I would like to thank...

Alright, everyone. First I would like to thank everyone for being so supportive! I'm doing this all by myself and its nice to know that there is other people out there who feel my pain.

I wanted to give an update before my first appointment tomorrow to share some of the things that I plan on doing to help my procedure and recovery to go as smoothly and quickly as possible.

So on my way to the appointment, I'll be taking some Tylenol to help with the pain. The clinic I'm going to suggest that I take Ibuprofen, but I heard that that can cause bruising so I'm going to try Tylenol first. Ibuprofen will be used to help with the inflammation and pain after the procedure. I have already started and will continue to take vitamin D, C, and woman's daily, along with Fish oil, garlic, and fenugreek to boost my immune system to help healing and break down of the tattoo.

I'm hoping that these precautions I'm taking will help this whole thing be over a lot more quickly.

Hi everyone. Sorry its been a while since my first...

Hi everyone. Sorry its been a while since my first post, but I've been super busy at work and too exhausted to do anything other than eat and sleep when I get home. But here is an update on my story!

Its been about a week since my first appointment. I think the Outside In tattoo removal clinic might be a little different than normal tattoo removal clinic. The first appointment IS the first treatment. There is no consultation so you have to be 100% sure you want to get it removed. I talked with the woman who would be doing the treatment and asked her some questions. She took a look at it and was quite shocked by the amount of red in the tattoo. Apparently, red isn't a color they normally treat till about the 4 or 5 treatment. I started to panic a little thinking that it would take forever to get this tattoo off. However, the coordinator at the clinic suggested that she do the red anyway and leave the other colors alone this treatment since there is so much red.

Now, I'm not going to lie and say it didn't hurt. It hurt. It really did. But I have a high pain tolerance and a system that helps me get through stuff like this (worked while I was GETTING the tattoo anyway) and I got through it. Honestly the worst and most painful part was the area between the shoulder blades. The doctor told me that that is one of the most sensitive spots on the back. The treatment went by fairly quickly and I was lathered with cream, bandaged and taped up, and on my way.

There was a heat that was coming off my back on the way home, but no pain. Was able to sleep on it that night and take a shower the next morning. The area was very tender, red and a little raised, but I got lucky and had no blisters. A few days after the swelling went down, it began to itch like hell. It was very hard not to scratch it (I did scratch it once and wanted to cry because of how badly it hurt) . A week later now, its only a little itchy, but still quite tender.

During the procedure, the doctor said that the ink was reacting well, and this filled me with an overwhelming hope. I'm starting to feel that it is a real possibility to get this completely removed and move on with my life for good. My next appointment is on April 25th and I feel anxious for that day to come.

I posted a few more pictures! Take a look!

So its been about 10 treatments....

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't updated in a loooooong time. You know how it is, life gets busy and you can't believe how much time has flown by! Well, I've had about 10 treatments now (can't remember the exact amount) and I am seeing some drastic changes in the tattoo...finally lol. However, with improved results comes increased pain. I'm not joking about that either. The sessions are becoming quite painful now that I can't even hold back my tears anymore and almost have a full on breakdown in the laser room each time, but in the end I know that it will all be worth it.

When I first started this, the technician told me that hopefully the tattoo would be removed in 15 sessions, so here's to 5 more! I have increased the amount of time I spend healing between treatments to 2 months rather than just one. Some say that that will allow more time for my immune system to carry some of the broken up ink and I will see more drastic results. I do not have an appoint scheduled right now, but I plan to have my next treatment in February.

Now for some good news! I have found someone. His name is Jon and we have been dating for 9 almost 10 months. I love him very much. He knows all about what I am going through and why and supports me 100%. He even drives me to my appointments and comforts me afterwards. He is one of the greatest men I have ever known.
Outside In

I can't really afford to pay to get this tattoo removed, so I found a local free clinic (Outside In) that has a discount for people with lower incomes or people with gang or domestic violence tattoos(Project Erase).