Tired of Looking Tired - Portland, OR

Years spent as a smoking sun goddess certainly...

Years spent as a smoking sun goddess certainly made a mark on me and of course, the daily stressers of balancing work, family and just living added their marks too. Sometimes age does bring wisdom--2 years ago I quit smoking, stopped baking myself, started eating right and exercising, decided I can't control or cure everything so stop stressing over it and decided it was time to do something really good for me! So, at the age of 57, and after reviewing this terrific site and reading about everyone's experiences and do's and dont's, I am 5 days post op, feeling great and will look great in the near future--I hope!

At first I considered going to Mexico or South America for the surgery because the prices are so much less expensive. However, after reading some of your experiences, I decided being in the same location as my PS was well worth the additional dollars. After all, I was entrusting him with the most visible part of me--my face. I had a facelift, forehead lift, lower eyes, cheek augmentation (implants) and chemical peel around my mouth. Needless to say, I am bruised and swollen but not nearly as badly as I anticipated. My daughter, best friends and PS are really impressed. I can already start to see the improvements and can't wait for a few weeks down the road when I'm sure I'll start seeing much more. I will post pictures soon.

If anyone is interested, I highly recommend my PS. Dr. DeMars in Portland, OR has been doing this for 30 years so he certainly has the experience. I interviewed several Drs. and while I liked all of them, I knew immediately that Dr. DeMars was the one for me. He was confident and that comes through, he explains everything thoroughly which put me at ease, he doesn't try to push extra procedures (in fact, he steared me away from other procedures I thought I needed), his staff is terrific--particularly his surgical nurse Lynn--bless her, and the whole environment is friendly and supportive. I will definately go back to him for future procedures.

Portland Plastic Surgeon

So far, my entire experience with Dr. DeMars and his staff has been excellent. As stated in my post above, I will go back to him for future procedures.

Happy New Bridget! Hope you are healing well and that all is well with you. Still looking forward to seeing some pics if you are able to post some. :)
LOL, Happy New Year...that's I meant to say but happy new you works just as well, doesn't it?! :)
Hiya Bridget, How did it go when you returned to work? Did anyone notice a change in you? I hope everything went well. It may take some extra time to reach my health and fitness goals, but I really think it will be worth it to help with the recovery process from any surgery. My sister is a fitness fanatic and recovered very quickly from a mini-tummy tuck (this was a touch up surgery to her 1st tummy tuck years ago). And several of her friends who are fitness buffs have recovered very easily from their face lifts. Perhaps the extra immune boost from being so fit helps them recover so well. This just motivates me all the more to get into the best shape I can before I do any kind of surgery. Thanks for the words of encouragement! :)
Hey Torontochick, People did notice and for the most part in was very positive. It was really cute when one of the guys I work closely with came to me the other day and said that he had gone home to his wife and mentioned that he was sure I had something done. She asked him, well does it look good and he said I looked great. She told him, well tell her! So he came in the next day and told me I looked great. That was really sweet but the most important thing is that I feel like I look great. However, I have one work friend that refuses to talk to me--guess she was never really a friend! I read in one of the other posts that this happened to her too. Just be prepared for some insecure people and silly reactions when you have it done.
I'm so happy that the reactions from your co-workers were positive and think the fella that said you look great is so sweet. As for that one sour apple, it appears there will always going to be one or two jealous/insecure individuals who will react negatively. My in-laws would react the same way that your friend did...that is if they ever discovered I did anything, LOL! I have no intention of telling them a word about my surgical plans and will swear my husband to secrecy! Since they live many hours away from us I don't have to worry about running into them during the recovery process. So unless they are specifically told I had surgery, they won't have a clue! To give you an example of what I'm dealing with, a few years ago when I happened to mention to my mother-in-law that I want to have an upper eye lift, she had a complete bird and told me I would be making the biggest mistake of my life because the surgery would ruin my looks! She was adamant that I not do it. Her reactions were so intense that I never brought it up again. The truth is that she would love to have some work done but can't thanks to family scrutiny--you're not supposed to spend money on frivolous things like cosmetic surgery. *sigh*
Hey Torontochick Your in-laws sound like pills--guess there are some benefits to being single! I am a firm believer in doing what you want to do (within legal limits) if it makes you feel better about yourself. I've raised kids, helped raise grandkids, now taking care of parents and worked hard all my life so if I want to spend my money on me so be it. Some people put it into their homes or a variety of other things--me, I'm wearing my new kitchen on my face :)
I love your attitude, Bridget, and couldn't agree with you more!!! Everyone is entitled to spend their money whatever way they want to. Which is why I cannot relate to judgmental people like my out-laws at all! It's not like I am spending THEIR money, so they have absolutely no right to scrutinize how I wish to spend my own. It's a good thing I only see them a few times a year...anymore than that and I would be single again too! I don't know why some people are so opposed to others who "upgrade" their bodies. If it makes you happy and you feel great because of it, then the investment was well worth it.
Hi Bridget! I think 3 weeks have passed since you had your procedures. I hope your recovery is going really well and that you post another update soon and share some pics. Sending lots of healing thoughts your way. :)
Hi Torontochick, sorry I didn't reply sooner but the holidays have had me pretty busy. Yes, today makes exactly 3 weeks for me and I am very pleased with the results. I only have faint bruising left under the eyes which is easily covered with regular makeup and just a little swelling is left. My son told me that I look younger than him! The only issue I am having, and I'll discuss this with my doctor when I see him in a few days, is my left cheek implant feels like it may be a fraction too close to my nose and I am having some numbness in my left upper lip--almost like a nerve is being pressed. I guess this is not uncommon and often resolves in time, but it is something I want him to take a look at. However, I love the fullness that the implants give my face. All my life I've had a very narrow face and now feel that it is much healthier looking. My daughter has been taking pictures all throughout the process so I will have her post them soon.
Hey Bridget ~ OMG, I can totally relate! I've been soooooo busy this past week that I haven't had a chance to catch up with any of my favorite blogs and forums until now. I'm so glad that your recovery is going so well and I can't wait to see some pics of your journey! I always get excited to see a new review with pics because the transformation for many people is so incredible. Based on your kids comments, it sounds like your results are great. :) I hope the numbness in your upper lip resolves soon. Does the numbness interfere with drinking or eating at all? Oh, and did you do anything special to prep your body prior to surgery (ie., diet & supplements?). Thanks!
Hey Torontochick, still have the numbness and sometime I wonder if I'm drooling when I drink or eat but friends told me I'm not, LOL! Went for my 3 week check up with my PS and he assured me that I'm healing normally. I am still swollen, particularly in the left cheek, which is probably causing the sensations. He told me I should experience a vast improvement by mid December. I am still thrilled with the results and guess I'm really lucky that I heal quickly. My doc was so impressed that he had one of his new nurses come in to see "his star patient." I promise I'll post pics as soon as my daughter emails them to me! Hope all is going well for you.
I'm really happy to hear that you're doing so well, Bridget. At the rate you are healing you should be in fine form by Christmas. I'm doing great too, thanks for asking. I've started a new health and diet regime to get my body in tip top shape before I take the plunge and have any procedures in 2013. I hope the added boost to my health will lead to a smooth recovery like yourself. Can't wait to see your pic's as you're killing me with the suspense! ;)
Hi Torontochick I'm a bit nervous, back to work tomorrow, first time since I had the procedure. I took a month off when I had the procedure so hopefully I'll just look really well rested to everyone! Smart move about getting in tip top shape before you take the plunge. The last year I started eating right (healthy foods) and joined a gym and work out at least an hour five to six times a week. I know it had a huge impact on my recovery--so you go girl, you'll be in great shape for your procedure!