Deep Plane Mid-Face Lift - Portland, OR

I decided to go for the mid-face lift because I...

I decided to go for the mid-face lift because I had deep nasolabial lines around my nose. The surgeon explained that he would do an endoscopic lift through the brow, which would gently lift the cheeks up and leave approximately 1" scars on my head. What I actually got were 8" scars going from my brow down behind my ears, which you can see when my hair is wet. My cheeks were lifted off of the bone and repositioned in a very high position which looked very unnatural. In a side profile it looked as though the cheek was pointed at the corner. I looked ridiculous.

Initially, the swelling was extreme, as it went down I prayed that what I was seeing wasn't what I would get. Unfortunately, it was. When the swelling went down my cheeks were very, very, high, unnaturally so. I did not venture out of my home for at least 3 months, when I did people stared at me. One man asked me if I had been in an accident. Family members were shocked, and my brother-in-law actually laughed in my face.

Since having this surgery 7 years ago, my life has gone down hill. I lost two jobs as people seem to act very negatively towards me. I have suffered from chronic depression and have been in hospital 3 times and I am taking anti-depressants. I have been seeing a therapist, but it is going nowhere. I do not have a job and know I will never have another as I have lost my confidence. I used to pride myself on my lovely hair, however, my hairdresser of 8 years was so disgusted that I had had surgery that she started giving me bad haircuts, her way of telling me she didn't want me as a client anymore. I have found that other hairdressers feel the same way, when they see the horrific scarring on my head.

The saddest thing of all is that I have lost my sense of identity. When I look in the mirror I don't recognize myself anymore, surgery took away my identity. My surgeon lied to me, he told me I would look subtle and be back to work in 2 weeks. I do not look subtle and it took me 2 years to pluck up the courage to go back to work and when I did it backfired. Finally, it will be 8 years this August since I had my surgery and I STILL do not look normal, and I STILL think about my surgery every single day, it never goes away.

My surgeon has since retired. I realize now that he was old school and his surgery was cookie cutter one style fits all. The way to avoid getting what I did is quite simple, do not have surgery. It will ruin your life.

Hi again Monica, I just wanted to check on you and also tell you about something that happened to me. As you know I've also gone through something similar to you, and have had over 9 consultations with different doctors, but decided it was all too risky. Of course they all say they can perform miracles, but as you know that's not the case, and I just can't face another nightmare. Strangely enough I found someone that's been doing something for over 30 years that's nothing short of amazing and am going for a consult the end of February. When I look at his before and after work I actually cry because you can clearly see that they also couldn't recognize themselves in the befores, and although the afters are dramatically different it actually looks like a person untouched by surgery. The shocking thing is that he's not performing surgery, and is restoring based on the persons face before surgery. It's really weird, but amazing. I'll be more than glad to send you the pics as I really think they're something you should see......believe me you will be full of hope once you do. Just e-mail me if you want and I'll send. I know that the holidays can be a tough time especially with what you've been through, but please hang on to hope friend, because all things are possible:) Take care now, and please e-mail me so I can send. Kim
Can you say where you found this info? Maybe the title of something they've published? And this person is not doing surgery ... so what are they doing?
Hi Clarek, I just noticed after responding to a comment today that my realself inbox was routing to my general box and I'd somehow missed your e-mail....my apologies. To respond to your questions. I found this doctor while searching for a solution to a bad bleph after having been to numerous consultations over many years and being terrified to take a chance on anyone with a knife. This doctors located in Beverly Hills, CA, is a renowned oculoplastic surgeon recognized worldwide, has a 'face institute", is a nationally and internationally recognized eyelid and facial expert. He is and is only one of 2 doctors recommended by one of the top 2 facial reconstructive PS on the west coast. He does a form of fat replacement , nothing at all like the fat transfer we normally see or that others do. The results are truly amazing and when viewing results it's as if you can see the release of all the trauma and pain being released. Not sure how much more I can share without violating tos, but as I mentioned your more than welcome to e-mail me for more info and pics.
How do I e-mail you? And what's "fat replacement"? Did you only have the eyes done?
A couple of other side effects of this surgery that surgeons don't mention are if the upper-brow is not or cannot be lifted as much as the mid-face is, it looks odd because above the eyes and the nose have shifted down while the middle is brought back up and made rounder. It can make the brow look low and heavy in comparison, and it makes the nose look longer than it did. And if the skin gets pulled to one side more than it was, it can change the profile shape of the nose. Mine was pulled over to the right more than it was naturally, and now in profile I have a distinct drooped hook at the end of my nose. When I pull the skin back to where it was, the profile hook goes away and looks like it used to, so it is obvious the skin being permanently moved changed it.
I'm very sorry you've suffered this abuse from your surgeon. After my own surgery, I smile as little as possible now because of what the mid-face lift did to my smile, which I was not forewarned about nor did I ask for any changes to my mouth. Between that and a huge scar under my chin, plus a less-than-complete job on my eye-lids, I feel ripped off financially, and the loss of my pretty smile is a major negative in my daily life and outlook. I don't think I am suffering as much as you've been left with though. I can't even imagine how terrible you must feel, given how bad I feel over less. I do know a little, too, about it affecting your relationships with other people because I've actively avoided going home to see old friends and various relatives for over two years now, because I'm so embarrassed about my changed smile. Frankly, it appalls me that these surgeons pay no negative consequences for their botched jobs. What other profession earns many thousands of dollars even when the outcome is terrible, even negatively life-altering as in your case? And given how many of us report being talked into procedures we weren't even seeking, and receiving added procedures we didn't agree to, I think there needs to be some reforms imposed on the entire profession so they are held to higher ethical standards. Elective surgeries or not, these surgeons are still Medical Professionals.
Hi Monica28,
I was moved and saddened by your story.
I know how people can become cruel and offensive with you when you want to enhance your beuauty or stop the ageing process so I can't imagine once what you do has a bad result.
Still, remember : no-one has the right to scorn you or to be mean to you. And also, are you sure that even hairdressers despise you for what they did (not you) to your face ? I'm not so sure. I'm sure there are compassionate and kind peple there. And probably many people don't even realize you had a surgical operation.
Very good luck, take care and keep close the ones you love and who love you.
Hi Monica,

I'm so sorry to hear about your predicament and completely understand how you feel. I also went through surgery which made me look completely different with the physician doing my upper lids which wasn't even part of the surgery. I look in the mirror all day hoping to recognize myself at some point, but that doesn't happen. The saving grace is that I'm saving to have a correction; which I think might also work wonders for you. Is this something you've considered? As rough as each day is things won't get better unless we make those changes. As for not providing pictures I understand your position. I don't even look at preop pics because it's too painful. Bless you friend and please consider a correction. Take Care.
Hi Roni48,
I wish you all the luck in the world with your correction. However, I decided years ago that I would never do another thing to my face, emotionally I just can't handle it. Thanks for your kind comments it is good to know there are still people like you out there. Good luck.
Hello Dr. Shah,
The reason I have not posted before and after pictures is that I do not want to be reminded of how lovely I looked then and how horrible I look now. I don't let people take pictures of me any more.
Hello Monica28,
I just meant that it would be helpful to see what happened to you, that's all. I meant no disrespect. As they say "a picture says a thousand words."
Dr. Shah
Is there a reason you did not post any before and after pictures to see how you looked then and how you look now?
Dr. Shah
Dear Moderator,
I feel that my story should be posted in cheek lift not facelift.
Thanks.

I've moved your story to the cheek lift section. Thanks for letting us know.

Hi Monica

I have had a similar experience recently and am going through hell, so I know what you mean about your appearance feels completely changed. I also feel that people react differently to me now, and my boyfiend has lost respect for me having this done in the first place. Revision is possible, and I am currently seeking help. Have you done tried to seek some opinions on whether your situation can be improved?
Hi LucyB,
I know exactly how you feel and I am terribly sorry. I was told that once scar tissue set in that revision to the cheeks was impossible. I have been told that I can go with fillers to even things out. However, I made a decision a couple of years ago that I will never, ever, let another surgeon touch my face. I did this to myself and so I will live with the consequences. I hope you are able to get help before serious depression sets in (which it will). I have been suffering from major depression for years now, I have been seeing a therapist, however, I can pick up the vibe that she thinks plastic surgery is totally vain and stupid, and she has no compassion at all in that regard, so I don't see her anymore. My life ended the day I had surgery. I wish you the best of luck, just be careful with revision as it can make things a whole lot worse from what I have read.