Almost 53 and It's Time for a New Me! - Portland, OR

As you can tell from the price, I intend to have...

As you can tell from the price, I intend to have quite a bit of work done. Besides the liposculpture (upper & lower abs, love handles (I do not Love them!) and the dreaded bra-line back fat! - I'm having a breast lift w/ a little reduction. At 52 and only 5'2", gravity and menopause have not been kind. My skin is in pretty good shape overall but I was concerned that if I only did lipo, I'd end up more saggy! I had a TT way back in 2002 and it has held up nicely! I had a little lipo on my lower tummy at that time. One thing that people need to realize is that if you do end up gaining weight in the future, like I did to the tune of 20 lbs., you'll gain it in perhaps areas you don't normally gain weight. For me it happened on my upper abs and back! Back fat, what a horrible concept! One positive was gaining it in my boobs! Now that I want to maintain, just having them adjusted higher : ) Before the weight gain, I was a 36, barely a B cup. Now I'm a 38 full C, almost filling out D cups. My goal is a 36 full C without the roll of fat and skin under my bra! I want cleavage in my front, not on my back like I do when I wear a one piece bathing suit, Thank you very much! So I looking forward to all the suck and tuck procedures on 7/29/14. I'm so excited and really hope time goes by quickly! Almost 12 weeks of waiting and I have wanted this done for a few years now! A lesson in patience this will be! I'd like to lose another 10-15 lbs before the procedure, so I can get the best results! I'll try to post before pics as soon as I figure out how! They'll probably just be of my front as I live alone and there's no one handy to take photos of the back. I plan to ask the PS or RN to take before and after photos with my camera as well. I'll need courage to post the "Before's". I'd love to hear from anyone else having liposculpture work done, pre and post-procedure! Good luck and speedy healing to all of you!

Dumb question, but getting photos from camera to web site?

I have a new iPhone and a 3 yr old MacBook Pro laptop. I'd like to post some photos, but can't figure out how to get them here from my phone or computer. My photos download into iPhoto... then what? I'm soooo techno challenged, it's pathetic! I find the reviews with photos of other very helpful and want to be a source of help and inspiration to the ladies of RS too! Any suggestions, guidance would be gratefully appreciated!

"Before" shots - Buddah belly

Really had a hard time time physically & mentally, posting these! Oh well it is what it is. Having to arch my back to take the photos myself, makes me look even worse! Definitely not sucking it in, that's for sure! And one goal for my PS is that my boobs will stick out further than my belly! I'm having lipo of the upper & lower abdomen, flanks & that awful bra-line back fat, as well as an extended tummy tuck procedure. My boobs are sitting too low and look deflated! I wanted to get a BA with the BL, but my Dr. wants me to wait and have that done in 6 months or so. That's going to be a difficult wait. Heck! I'm having trouble waiting for 8 more weeks until the 1st phase, the biggest surgery is performed. I've literally waited years to have this work done, so a couple of months and next year should hopefully pass quickly and I will live! I'm only 5'2", but have broad shoulders, moderate in the hips. I know I could carry off D-DD cup breasts. I don't want to look un-natural so I'm going to stay away from the HP implants. I have alot of loose skin, which will be addressed in "Phase 1 (that's what I refer to my planned PS's) and the BL should help my self confidence quite a bit! I'm also planning to lose another 10-15 lbs before my surgery. I've lost 30 lbs since the 1st of the year! I'll try and post some better "before" photos taken by someone else, like my 33 yr old daughter. She's the only one I think I would allow to see me like this, LOL!

I hope I don't lose my mind while I'm waiting for PS!

Such a roller-coaster of thoughts and emotions going through my head! And I'm entirely too preoccupied with this "new me" project! I usually don't spend much time, if any, thinking about myself in general. But while I wait for 7/29 to roll around I find myself constantly distracted about all the to-do's beforehand, how successful (or not!) the surgery will be, what am I doing spending all this money on myself and just how miserable will the post-op recovery be... just for starters! I hope this insanity let's up soon! I'm using this place to vent, so don't mind me! I'm usually a pretty bomb-proof, logical kind of gal! I believe I have fairly realistic expectations. Not looking to grace Sport's Illustrated or Vogue any time soon, LOL! Thank you to all those who have shared their journey, both the positive, and not so great aspects to PS. I really appreciate the words of advice and learning what to expect. I'm posting some more "before" photos, taken by someone other than myself! They are sure unflattering but it's where I'm at right now. I'm hoping to lose another 10 lbs before the PS. Not sure if that's going to make much of a difference externally, but internally it means alot. Thanks for letting me ramble on! Maybe no one else will be reading this, LOL!

Trying not to chicken out!

I sure hope what I'm experiencing is just pre-surgery jitters or some phase everyone goes through! For the past day or so, I've been considering backing out, or perhaps having less work done. I don't know. I've wanted this for so long now and have felt 100+% committed for months now, so what's up? I've read so many positive profiles and updates from the ladies on here. Most say that PS was so worth it in the long run! Will I be able to say the same? I'm concerned about all the money I'll be spending coupled with the amt. of scarring I'll be putting on my body. What's realistic to expect at my age? I'm so sorry that this is a downer-type entry. I've been trying to stay very positive about my little PS project and up until very recently, that's been pretty easy to do! I think it doesn't help that I'm doing this pretty much on my own. There's no friends or family I can share these negative thoughts with, at least nobody I feel comfortable sharing this with. So poor RS blog forum here, you're it! I feel alot of pressure, most of the time, presenting myself with a great attitude, everyone's cheer-leader. Why is it so much easier to do for others and not myself? So add feeling guilty on to the pile of negative woes, ahhh! This too, shall pass. Right? I need to find that inner strength and just push past this "stage".

Big *sigh* of Relief! Decided!

Well as of day, and there's really not much time to back out now... I've decided to go ahead with the surgery! The whole enchilada! BL with the cosmetic reduction (please Dr. Bohley, don't take away my cleavage!), lipo-a-rama in several areas and posterior skin removal (bye love-handles and old dog ears!). I'm committed now. The last 2 weeks, and esp. the last few days(!), have been agonizing in coming to a final decision. Words can not express what has been going through my mind! Tomorrow I'm going in to pay off the balance on the surgery ($17,455 total surgical expense). I hope I start feeling excited soon like I did initially going in to this. I'm pretty disappointed that implants are not an option at this time, that's part of it. My work schedule has been long & crazy, have precious few days off before my surgery date. That might be good thing. Work keeps my mind off myself for 8 hours+. Definitely not used to thinking about myself & my body so much. I'll be glad when the day comes, post-op, when I can actually stop being distracted by my "procedures". Self-absorbed is not my style & it does feel uncomfortable. That's been an epiphany recently. Everything in moderation. It's not good to never consider yourself and how you look, don't get me wrong, but to be soooo preoccupied is something I think might be well left off in adolescence! And I'm a couple years past teenager, LOL! Thank you to all the ladies on here who stuck by and encouraged me through making my mind up, esp. egassner and Michele50. The support on here has helped me not feel so alone! Bless you all! Now it's time to get ready for work!

Getting the To-Do List checked off!

Only 10 days, 20.5 hours until I say good-bye to some old fat and loose skin and Hello to my new perkier shape! Still have some major chores to do around the house, but besides last minute groceries, I think I've bought everything I could possibly need! Knowing me, I probably over prepared! I have found the suggestions from the ladies here so helpful! Not just for what to get, but also on what to skip getting! Today I'm having my new freezer delivered! I don't want to worry about meals for myself or my helpers the 1st couple of weeks after surgery. I've tried to plan on low sodium, high protein, lots of eating "clean" type stuff and lots of bottled water! I'm a big green smoothie drinker and the day before surgery, I am going to teach my daughter, who is my initial helper/nurse, how to make them with the Vitamix. The PS's office told me it was important to eat regularly while you recover for healing, but I'm not too sure if I'm going to have much of an appetite for awhile afterwards. I'll have to see how that goes! The heat seems to drain me of much of an appetite! I picked up my prescriptions this week, had an EKG and my labs for surgery done yesterday! That's how I spent my day off! Working full-time has been keeping me too busy to worry much about the procedures and the surgery in general! I have only one day off before the surgery now after today! I'd like that day to include just some last minute grocery shopping and to be able to spend time in my bedroom changing the sheets & making things in there nice to recover in! Sorry for the boring update! My minutia! Just a heck of alot of it to squeeze in, in the next 10 days!
Portland Plastic Surgeon

Well he hasn't worked on me yet, but consultation went very well. Dr. Bohley is very personable and he spent alot of time with me and my questions and concerns, the appt lasted 2 hours! I have been doing quite a bit of research and checked out other PS's. I think it's soooo important for a number of reasons, safety & skill paramount, Board certified is a Must! No one has seemed to be as good a fit for me as Dr. Bohley! His office staff were also especially nice, and had a great sense of humor! At this point I feel good about my decision to choose Dr. Bohley!

Yay! Surgery date is soon!
It is coming up super soon! Starting to feel "real, LOL!
Lye10Up, you are going to Love your results!! I have a feeling after your BL you will not even want a BA. Glad you are staying busy it does keep your mind off of stuff, there is always something you will run out and get at the last min! LOL I don't know how many people will be staying at your house (kids, hubby/bf) but I put food in crock pot the morning of my surgery and that way my hubby had a meal that night while I slept and he did not have to leave the house and go get his dinner--good for left overs when I felt up to eating too! Good luck can not wait to see your update pictures!!
Thanks 14373! That would be so incredibly wonderful to not feel like I need a BA after my BL surgery, I can't tell you! Hopefully the doc will have enough breast tissue to work with after he removes the side boob area! I have an ugly bra roll of fat and loose skin that I can't wait to lose! I've wanted a BA for 20 years! I'm not kidding! But weight gain did give me some cleavage now! Sure hope I have some post-op! I'd like to lose another 20-30 lbs after surgery. I've been seriously working on weight loss since last Feb. and it's been so slow coming off! You look nice and trim in your photos and I'm thrilled for you and your new breasts! They look fabulous! Thanks for the crock pot suggestion too! I'm going to dig it out and plan on putting a roast in it! I'm single, live alone, but daughters and Mom will be coming by to help out. I have over-night help for the first six nights, then I'm flying solo! Wish me luck! One more week to go, then I'll be joining everyone here post-op! I'll be planning on taking new photos a.s.a.p. next week! All the best to you!
Freezer has been delivered and plugged in! Now I suppose I have to put stuff in it! I think I'll start with frozen peas! I'm going to be using alot of bags of those I suspect!
Yay! I kept myself busy right up to the day of too. Mostly with work and not the house. Lol. I found that my appetite was nil for the first week. Maybe by day 5 did I actually 'want' anything, but filled up fast. I always started my day with a protein drink (still do since I bought two cases. lol) and then hard boiled eggs, tuna (wait until after your first bm for that though...ha!), and water crackers (less sodium that saltines). It's all going to sneak up on your so fast!
Been too busy to be nervous, which is nice! Seems like a month ago I was soooo preoccupied & ordering stuff like crazy! Emphasis on "crazy"! I'd like to feel more excited like I did initially. Wouldn't mind that! Hopefully by the end of next week, I'll schedule in feeling excited! I'm working the weekend before my Tuesday PS, so I won't have the luxury of sitting around thinking about surgery. ~ I am concerned about the whole constipation thing after the procedure. I know, TMI! I remember having issues with that on previous surgeries and pain meds only compound that problem for me! I'm planning on alot of water, my green smoothies and my Mom's bran muffins to hopefully help with that. Does tuna and/or eggs constipate? I thought egg salad on sourdough sounds like a good lunch on day 4 or 5. Was trying to come up with food ideas that are low sodium, high protein & high fiber. Tricky! Have you lost weight since surgery? I'd like to lose 10 lbs post-op before returning back to work. Thought I'd include the fat wt. sucked out of me during surgery. Did Dr. Bohley tell you how much tissue and fat he removed from you afterwards? Did you have much lipo? I know there's a limit on how much they can remove, but I sure hope he's aggressive with my areas! All that and perky breasts too! Get my money's worth out of that doctor! LOL!
Smooth Move Tea is a great herbal tea if you need extra help for constipation. I found it at a Natural Food store but I think Walmart had it too.
Lol. Waaayyyyy tmi, but I just found out that eating tuna before my first bm gave it time to 'marinate', thus a very foul bm. I also recommend the smooth moves tea. I drank a cup every night while I was taking the heavy pain killers. I have weighed myself nor have they weighed me at the Dr.'s office since my consult. I actually try to avoid the scale just because it has a tendency to consume me. If I feel good, I feel good. If I feel like I put on weight....then I probably have. With all the swelling going on, I don't want to discourage myself; just keep eating the high protein ( to help tissue growth), complex carb (helps control my blood sugars, which helps with my 'episodes') plus I've been eating a lot of the seasonal fruit right now too. I keep forgetting to ask him how much he took off of me. I plan to ask him Thursday at my next appt. as well as how thick of a 'belt' of skin he removed all the way around. I totally forgot to ask him to take photos during the procedure too :(
eggassner and Lye....I love reading your back and forth posts....you two crack me up! I'll never think of tuna fish the same now! Thanks for the laugh!
The scale can totally put a downer on my day if I gain a pound or 2, so I don't weigh myself everyday. It's strange how a number can affect us like that! Somewhat ridiculous really! I can usually tell by my clothes, esp. jeans, if I'm having a skinny day or a not-so! I'm adding the Smooth Move tea to my grocery list! I don't want to be totally chemically dependent on going to the bathroom! Tish told me to take Colace with every pain pill, seems like alot! Speaking of drugs, Bohley didn't prescribe me any muscle relaxers with my post-op meds. Did he Rx them for you? I think I'd like to have a few of those on hand for my back! Did he do muscle repair on your back or is it just removing the loose skin? I'm looking forward to losing my little dog ears from my old TT! Not to mention the not so lovely "love-handles"! That must be a great feeling! How is that area doing on you? Please keep me updated on how you are feeling and adjusting to real life post-op. I love watching your journey through this!
Thanks Michele! She and I are in the same boat surgically speaking. We're having essentially the same procedures done except that "e" had a TT with hers (on June 26th) and I'm just having the incision done on my lower back that will remove some loose skin and old dog ears from my 2004 TT. We're having the exact same BL procedure! So I try to keep a close eye on her recovery to get an idea of what I should expect. I have almost 25 yrs. on her, so I have to bear that in mind! My skin is in pretty good shape and I hope there's still some elasticity to work with. ~ How was your camping outing last night? Did you and the kids have fun? I hope you were able to properly spoil them! So cool to be able to have a bonfire! Enjoy your weekend dear Lady!
I think they carry it at Freddie's? I added it to my grocery list! I'll try just about anything short of enemas to reduce the dreaded constipation phase! But don't want to get carried away and end up having to make a mad dash to the toilet when I'm post-op and having trouble getting up & down! There's gotta be balance somewhere!
The back side was just purely to remove skin. He did give me a flexeril rx for the muscle repair he did on my abs. I was taking up to 6 colace a day and the tea, but still needed a half dose of MOM to produce... wouldn't hurt to have on hand.But man that stuff tastes nasty!
I bought some MOM just in case nothing else works! I agree... it tastes pretty nasty alright! I hope I don't have to take it more than once! I'll keep my fingers crossed and plan on drinking tons of water!
Last night was great and I am POOPED!
Just pace yourself Michele! You're still in post-op, recovery land!
I know! So easy to just slide into old routines!
You go girl!!!!! I think you're going to do just fine! Hehehe. ... I always over prepare! Sure beats the opposite!
I'm spending my precious few days off doing stuff to get ready for the surgery! The past week & next week are devoted to my house! Well, except for a day I have planned getting hair & a pedicure done! So I may look like a disaster right after surgery, but my toes will look great! LOL! Speaking of looking great, you are already there! That is so cool! We have had the perfect weather to show them off in too! Are you getting used to them yet?
Pretty used to them unless I run into something and smash one! Or have to reach across my chest, lol. This weather is awesome! I should go get a pedicure. ... Looks like a pig nibbled on my toes or something hahaha. Tonight my daughter, grandson, and her boyfriends son ( I guess I kind of have 2 grandsons now) age 3 and 5 are "camping" in our backyard. Big tent, bonfire, smores, hotdogs, and whatever other crappy food this grandma can spoil them with! Should be fun! Just have to watch out for the big....run to Nani and slam her with a big hug and kiss thing ! Gentle hugs!
Gentle hugs for sure! But it sounds like you will be having a blast tonight! Gotta Love those grandbabies! Spoiling them is a perk! ~ I'd still fit time to get in that hot tub if I were you! Hot Grandma!
Just checking on you..... :)
It's so true the support in this website is phenomenal.. I think we all as women and mothers try to talk ourselves out of such a large amount of money for ourselves but if I don't go forward and do this for myself I will forever look at my body and wish it was done. U can't put a price on loving yourself.. I can't wait to see how you do! Go for it and don't look back!!
I understand the emotional roller coaster. I went through hell with my last body contouring and I don't wish that on anyone! Hang in there!!!