CoolBreeze Laser (Aka CoolTouch) Does NOT Work

So I received 6 sessions of CoolBreeze, aka...

So I received 6 sessions of CoolBreeze, aka CoolTouch, during June 2012. At the time, my acne was blissful compared to the misery I suffer from now. I only had acne on my 'side-burn' area which was not responding to the Benzoyl Peroxide I was using. Furthermore, I wanted to help accelerate the healing of my scars.

Despite information to the contrary stating that one needs three to six treatments at monthly intervals, I received 6 session within 3 weeks, at a rate of 2 per week. I was told this was actually better. Furthermore, the laser generated a lot of heat, which is troubling because it's supposed to generate a 'Cool breeze' as advertised. Regardless, the staff assured me this was going to be an amazing fix!

I was told it would take 3-6 months to see results because that's how long it takes for collagen to rebuild. Well, it has been over 5 months and my acne is worse now than it has ever been in my entire life. I have acne ALL over my face, including my chin which I never thought was possible. It's terrible, and everyday it just gets worse.

This failed experiment gave me false hope and makes me even angrier at my current state because I never thought my acne would spread to the rest of my face. I am NOT attributing my acne to the laser, but clearly the treatment was beyond useless. This is not a treatment that exacerbates acne before it gets better.

Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

This is the third treatment I've received from his office which resulted in absolutely no positive outcome.

Dear BB36, Thank you for your review of the CoolBreeze Laser. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have desirable results. Our practice strives to provide the best in personalized care for each patient, including the latest in safe and effective treatments for achieving beautiful skin. We would love the opportunity to meet with you again to find a solution that works for you. Sincerely, The Key Laser Institute team
forget about lasers on acne, go to a doctor and get accutane. with accutane your acne will dissapear for ever. i use to have really bad acne before too and now im acne free thanks to accutane.

I'm so sorry to hear that things have actually gotten worse after your treatment. Ugh, how frustrating. Have you changed any of your skin care products to try to help get things under control since this happened, or have you felt it was best to just stick with what was working for you previously?

Nothing is helping it get under control. I have to experiment with prescription pills and creams. I wish I wasn't so stupid as to get this procedure. I deeply regret wasting all that money.

Awe :( please don't be so hard on yourself. As an acne sufferer myself I know how tempting it is to go with anything that promises a solution. You made the best decision you could at the time, and were trying to improve things for yourself. There is nothing wrong with that. I do wish it had a better outcome for you, but please don't beat yourself up over it.

Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful comments. Yes, I did do what I thought was best and it's too easy for me to look back in hindsight and know better. So I now know that I have hormonal acne. I'm on Spironolactone and I'll be starting a retinoid cream/gel soon as well. If the Spiro doesn't work, I'll go on birth control pills, although I really don't want to be on BCP because of the long term side-effects. I hope this passes soon, and I can go back to having the skin that I took for granted. Thanks again for your heart-felt compassion.

I'm on spiro. I just started it a few months ago, so still trying to figure it out. So far it seems to be working, but it hasn't been a miracle cure like I would love to find. ;)

If you get on a retinoid ask for the gel. I was on the cream and broke out, others on here have mentioned that they did better on the gel than the cream too. Here is an interesting Q&A about the cream:

Why Does Retin-A Cream Contain Isopropyl Myristate? Isn't that considered highly comedogenic?

Hey Megan, How long have you been using Spiro? What strength? I'm on 25mg and take at night. It's been over a week and I think I'm going through the 'initial outbreak' phase. So there's no verdict yet. I will begin using the tretinoin gel, as I heard it's actually more potent than the cream. I used the cream once and I hated the consistency. Did you have any success with the Retin-A creams?

Well, I was started out on 100mg, but I have really low blood pressure as is, so add that in and I basically passed out on a subway in Boston when I was on a trip with a friend of mine. He is a physician and told me I either needed to drastically reduce my dose or stop taking it. :( Well, I cut it in half to 50mg. I still feel kind of crappy sometimes, but its way better.

As for the Retin-A cream. No, I really disliked it. I used it for 9 months, broke out initially then it didn't seem to every really clear up, and we all know how much that sucks. After 9 months I gave up on it, as I just wasn't seeing any improvement and by that time summer was approaching and I didn't want my skin to be sensitive to the sun. I'm pretty sure I will try the gel in a week or two. Fingers crossed for both of us that we just have the initial breakout period then some good improvements after that!

Please keep me posted on how you are doing and how your skin is reacting. I'll be very interested to hear.

100mg is a very strong dose to start on. I'm happy you're better now, but have you actually seen improvement in your acne? I really hope I see progress with the Tretinoin Gel. I'm starting at .025% and will go by the 3-2-1 rule. (Use once every 3 days the first week, then every two days the second week, then every day the 3rd week. This is reduce the level of negative side-effects, such as peeling, dryness, and sensitivity. I know it'll be several (up to 6 months) before I see any improvement, but once it does settle in, it's supposed to be very promising not just for acne, but for overall skin tone. It's also a great anti-aging product, so I intend to use it for the rest of my life. If the Tretinoin doesn't work, then I'll use another Retin-A cream. I wish you luck, I look forward to hearing about your results and experience, and I will keep my journey posted too. Thank you.

Overall, yes, I have seen improvement. I saw the best improvement when I was on the 100mg, and would have loved to have been able to stay on that high of a dosage. I'm getting a little more breakouts on the 50mg, but still better than when I wasn't on it at all. You can click through to my review from my profile if you want to see my  review. Hopefully we will both have some great clearing!!