Depressed and Upset After Veneers

I had to broken upper front teeth due to an...

I had to broken upper front teeth due to an accident when I fell on the stairs when I was 9 back in 2001. Well fast forward to 2011 am now 19 and jumped at the opportunity to get my teeth fixed. But have regretted it since the moment my prep was complete.

My front two teeth were shaven down to near stubs despite my opting for veneers in the first place due to less tooth removal. On the first session the dentist drilled away quite a bit of tooth but the problems began when he called me back for more grinding. When I tried resisting he was so rude. I didn't want to left like that so had to get my teeth grounded down further.

The only consolation is the fact that there has been little pain after the procedure. I am just happy I only got 2 veneers because I've heard horror stories of people getting 6,8,10! I will try my best to take care of my remaining natural from now now so as to never chip them or get any sort of decay problems.

All in all I just want these to last at least 15=20 years hopefully. The dentist is willing to replace them for free for the next 5 years if anything goes wrong. I would not recommend them.

I'm17 and I have a full set of veneers. WHY are you upset?! They probably look amazing, I got them done in 2010 and haven't thought about it since! Kinda cool actually :) Eventually I may need them done again but my doctor said that they only really need to be if I don't like the color but otherwise they should be set!

They tell you they are shaving your teeth down, before they do that.
I am getting 9 Veneers and Bridge, which means they are removing 1 tooth,
BTW I am 15, (:

I never had any of my teeth grounded and i have porcelein veneers. I would go to another dentist! I will say when i first got them done, the next day one came off and i was mortified, but its been 4 years and not one has
Come off since!! I will say i wasnt happy at first but it took some time to get used to them. They made noise, mouth hurt, and my teeth felt huge.
But like a new haircut guess you have to grow into them. I just fear havng the pay for them again! It was an expense the first time!

Removing some of the tooth structure is a normal part of the preparation for veneers. There are some "prepless" veneers, but usually the outcome isn't as nice, as the teeth seem bulky since a veneer was laid over the entire existing tooth structure.

I agree completely with Megan. "Prepless" can't be used in most cases and when they are used do have some issues. Bulkiness is one but the bigger issues it the margin placement of the Veneer can't be hidden and when it picks up stain it will show - especially at social angle views. "Prepless" are also limited to very aligned teeth, that are not heavily restored, or discoloured. People with crowding, dark staining, or existing fillings have to have some preparation of the teeth for Veneers to be successful.
Probably the reason he ground the teeth down is sometimes when teeth meet too much the bite gets off -- and you know how when you scrape yr teeth together they make this horrible screeching noise? I remember doing it and it was horrifying -- I am so sorry you have that, it is worse than nails on a chalkboard! I am guessing that's why he did grind them down. But waterside1979, isn't it true that they take off a lot of the actual tooth and grind tons of it away to have the porcelain veneer on? I didn't know they do it any other way. Otherwise I would have asked to not do that! I have it on my front four from years ago and have had a lot, a lot of problems. They come off all the time which is disgusting and then to replace them is hard to match the original ones, too. Plus it's hard to find a true artist to replace them. I want to just rip them all off and get new ones, ones that stay in and I can live worry free.
Can we see pictures??? Dont know why the dentist grinded your teeth. I didnt have mine grinded. I actually went to a dentist who mentioned grinding and capping my teeth ad i said nooooo way. Went somewhere and got porcelein veneers. Love them!!! Its a commitment i must say but i bet your teeth do look good. Would love to see them!!
Thanks for the comment. I can't find a way to add a picture on this website, but my teeth do look good. I just wish they were quiet.
ok my peeps -- I found some Craaazy stuff online (Amazon, etc.) re this fake tooth thing. It can get really ghetto -- see UTube for some guy who does his own from some plasticene stuff, really funny. There are: Snap-on Teeth (more on that in a bit), Dr. Bailey's Secure Teeth (something like that) and Imako fake teeth. You order these last two on line and they are quite interesting to read about. Honestly, I see a good market opportunity here for someone who wants to go between the exorbitant costs of veneers and the crappy on-line dentures available. Because sorry to say, that's what veneers are: permanent dentures. I did the snap-on teeth and they are over 2000 dollars. I NEVER wear them, they are embarrassing and horrible and I am mad that I was so gullible, or maybe it's just that my dentist wasn't good at all (both, really.) . If anyone is considering these, please please please talk to me first. I have some good tips to give you, stuff I wish I had know or researched myself. But seriously -- who out there is a good businessperson with the inventor know-how, has a real opportunity here because what I have noticed is that veneers and good fake teeth (let's not mince words here -- that's what they ALL are, from cheapest to priciest) are more expensive than some of the most expensive plastic surgeries! Wowie!
Hi Roncor. I think you are thinking of the Snap-on Teeth -- not veneers but closer to actual dentures. For questions about this you can ask me, since I did get them. Lots to tell you if you want. Also there is something I just read online (forget the site) about people making their own! It's some kind of denture thing -- sure-dent? not sure heehee -- that you can get at CVS, shape yourself with a tool similar to the one dentists use to shape veneers, and some major glue. It's all kind of like when you go to the nail salon and watch the nail person shape the nail perfectly, with a tiny device, all patient. Of course I think dentists make way more than nail people! Makes me kind of wonder.....what if we all had access to the labs that process veneers? Couldn't we then match them to the tooth (easy peasy), shape them with a really good burring tool like dentists use (easy for those who are very detail-oriented and picky) and then take off the enamel gently, and then get the bonding stuff dentists use to put on our teeth? It's not so much a "dental" thing as a "shaping and artistic eye" thing. I would never pull my own tooth or give myself braces, but with the veneer it feels like little different from a nail person, funny in a way.
Doses anyone have mail order veneers? How are they and were you get them

I haven't heard of mail order veneers & would be extremely skeptical of them, if they were available.

You can not mail order veneers. Veneers are tailor made.
I've experienced another downside to veneers. Besides the fact they will likely need to be replaced, mine make a loud screeching sound when I chew. This happens about 5 times per meal, and is rather disturbing to other people at the table. I've been back to the dentist twice and spent 5 hours in the chair while he tries to locate and grind down the trouble-making spots, but there really hasn't been any improvement. They still screech when chewing. I haven't seen anything on the internet about people having the same problem as me, so it might be rare. (Of course it is probably rare for someone to buy porcelain veneers for all of his teeth.)
Sounds like they were bonded. You are good for a long time. :)
Hi legal, my veneers are porcelain so yes they are ceramic. My teeth were etched and roughened and some blue liquid was used. Then some ultra violet light was used to harden everything up. I hope that describes bonding rather than cementation?
Thank for the hygienist recommendation!
If your veneers are all ceramic veneers and bonded rather than cemented you should be okay for a very long time. If for some reason they need to be replaced, a cosmetic dentist might be able to add a "build up" to your teeth to add more tooth structure. I am sure it will be fine. :)
One more thing, make sure your hygienist uses the correct polishing paste on your two veneers or it will scratch them. If you want a good hygienist you can call Dr Scott Young, he is in The Woodlands.
Hi Megan, visually speaking I think they look just okay,although some people who have seen them think they look great. My main concern is the replacement aspect. Because I'm only 19 I realize I have to replace them a lot of times in the and he hasn't left much tooth structure at all. Don't know what's going happen.

Yeah, I can completely understand your concerns with that. I would probably feel the same way. Maybe next time you need a cleaning you could go to another dentist & get an opinion from them on what to expect in the future. Obviously it would be speculation on their part, but at least it would give you a little more solid info to go off of.

hi, I think your teeth look great. I was just wondering... If you could go back in time would you leave it like it was or you would do it again? Did you get used to it?
Honestly I would not do it, I'd probably just get bonding done, it's far less invasive and therefore fewer complications to worry about in the future.

I'm so sorry to hear you have regrets about your veneers. :( I'm glad to hear that the dentist you went to at least gives you a 5 year guarantee. That probably helps relieve some of the angst about the costs, at least somewhat.

In little picture you have posted they look nice. Are you pleased with how they look?