34DDD to a 34C - Plymouth, MN

I have wanted to do this since I was 12 when my...

I have wanted to do this since I was 12 when my mom would cover my breasts. In college, my nickname was "tits". I'm 42, I've nursed 3 children. I'm an athlete. I've always struggled with my breasts, from clothes I couldn't wear to sports I couldn't do. I love to run, but, the girls get in the way. I love to be active, but, ALWAYS needed to have the right bra, often 2 of them. I also remembered my Grandma and how in her 70s & 80s, her breasts sat on her thighs and she was hunched over. A bad visual, but, this was the future I was headed towards!

When I was pregnant and nursing, my breasts were often 1.5-2x the size of my babies heads! Nursing in public was difficult and I'm not a shy person and believe every woman deserves this right. For right sized women, the baby’s head covers their breast, this was not the case with me.

Was I scared? You bet, very scared! Having a breast reduction is a huge personal choice. It's something I've wanted for so long; I didn't even think it would ever be possible. The insurance process was surprisingly easy, and I was ready with my documentation. After years of on/off back pain, chiro visits, massages for neck and shoulders, I had documentation and people willing to write letters. Turns out, I didn't need it. My 5'2" frame combined with 138lbs and 34DDD breasts was enough to qualify me for a reduction. I also have excellent insurance, which is not always the case. I met with Dr. K and had insurance approval in under 2 weeks, I was left stunned, my dream was going to become reality. The reason on the insurance approval letter - "large breasts". I scheduled surgery. Was I really going to be able to do this? I've waited so long!

Now the real questions began....along with being nervous! What will I look like with small breasts? Will people finally notice my smile instead of my rack? Will that seem strange to me? Then some fun questions: What kind of clothes, dresses and swimsuits will I get to wear with smaller breasts? Will I really be able to purchase bras at any store instead of the specialty stores where bras start at $80? Will my husband still like them? Will I run faster?

5/1 - The night before surgery! My doctor called me to see if I had any last minute questions. She was so reassuring and kind. I am strangely at peace with my decision and pending procedure and looking forward to tomorrow morning! I'm going to have right sized "girls"!!!

5/2 - Checked into the surgery center at 6:30am. Dr. K was there to meet with us, everything went so smoothly. Using a sharpie, she drew out her plan, where to cut, where to move things. My nipples were going to be 4" higher! Wow!

I was very loopy at discharge; the anesthesia really knocked me out. During my rest at home, a friend stayed with me that afternoon. She was helping empty the tubes, one breast was draining quite a bit, it was hard & hot. I had a complication, the doctor was meeting us at the hospital, an OR room already booked. I had a Hemotosis and was oozing blood in my left breast. She cauterized me and stitched me back up....I was back home a few hours later. Despite this hiccup, I would do the procedure again in a heartbeat! Dr K handled the complication with such calmness and grace. That's the test of a true surgeon! All surgeons will have a complication at some point in their career, how they handle the complication is what sets them apart. Dr. K, hands down, a true professional! The end results, beautiful! Like giving birth, this will fade into my memory and I'll only remember the small perky girls! There are risks with any surgery, being a runner, I have a great vascular system & extra blood was my risk.

5/3 - Got my first look at the girls today when Dr. K took out the drains. Wow. They're so high, they're small & round and I can see my feet without having to bend over! I am left speechless. There's swelling around the bottom of the breast, but, the backache and neckache are gone. I put on a 34D sports bra to wear (due to the swelling).

5/8 - It's been a week. I'm now in a 34C sports bra. I still can't move a lot and am wearing shirts that zip up (being a larger girl all of my life, I don't own button downs). It's now hotter in MN, so, I put on a tank top feet first and very carefully put it on with a cardigan. There's so much room in my clothes! I can't wait to see what happens when I can lift my arms & wear tshirts. It's still a shock to look down and see smaller breasts. They're still taped up and will be for the next month, a reminder of the surgery, but, their shape is coming along nicely. I like that mine are taped, that's better than seeing the line as it heals. I will post pictures through the recovery process.

Here are a few pics from pre surgery, the markings...

Here are a few pics from pre surgery, the markings pre-op and 5 days post surgery.

A few before and after pictures

A few before and after pictures

5/10- I went to the doctor today & the healing is...

5/10- I went to the doctor today & the healing is coming along nicely! I did have lipo around the armpit area & the bruising from that is going down. The girls are still numb, Dr. K assured me that's normal, it just takes time. She also told me I could wear just a tank top with a shelf in it if I want. I've always wondered shat the shelves were for, theyoften just got in the way, so I guessI need to find some new tank tops to wear!

I'm still in shock at their size, perkiness & how my clothes fit! I have weeks of healing left, but the biggest changes were immediate: neck pain-gone, shoulder pain-gone, bra grooves in my shoulder-gone! One more week & I can move my arms above my head! At the 4 week appointment, she'll remove the tape! Why did I wait so long to do this????

1 month update

I met w/Dr K Friday. Everything is healing nicely. I do have one spot, shown in pictures where the cut line is lower. Dr K said at my next appointment in 2 months, she'd take me down to the OR for a correction to move the line under the crease.

I ran to/from the car this weekend....what an amazing feeling! I felt so light !

This has been such a great experience! Overall recovery's been fairly easy. I've now started with the scar treatment. Applying gel 2x/day. This is recommended for 6 months. 2 more weeks and I can go back to running. Looking forward to it!
Dr. K

Dr. K is a fantastic surgeon! Her bedside manner is incredible, she takes a real interest in her patients and is empathetic. Best of all, she does BEAUTIFUL work! She handled the minor complication with grace and reassurance. I highly recommend her!

You look fabulous - congratulations! I had my reduction December 17th and am so happy with the results (36 DD+ to 36C - D). I can wear lovely little dresses, tops - summery things without too much cleavage. It has been a wonderful experience and I am thrilled to have done it. I can see how your life will change too. It keeps getting better - enjoy it all.
wow that size looks awesome on you and they are so beautiful and perky! I am hoping for similar results with my reduction! Congratulations and Happy Healing! :)

Wow! You look amazing. The why did I wait so long" comment and the 100% worth it rating in this topic says it all. Please keep us updated for all of the women who will come to read your story. Thank you so much and I could not be happier for you!

You look just wonderful and you sound so happy. Good luck and get some rest.
Congrats on your surgery. I also used Dr. K and just LOVE her and my results!

Welcome to the community girlie!

You crack me up with the granny's breasts on her thighs comment:)   I do get it though..

When you are all healed and the selling is down you are going to feel like a million bucks.  I bet you will run faster.  Glad to hear the complication was under control quickly.  What a scare that was for you.

I really want to see the before and after pictures.  If you need help uploading those please let me know.  I will get those done for you quickly!

I can't see the pics either. I'm a 36G hoping to get to a B. surgery June 12th. This site really helps - thank you for sharing your story. I'll check back to see the pics.

Shoot, I'm not seeing the pics. Is anybody else?

What a happy success story . Congrats and enjoy running again when you're all healed .

OMG! Tits! Not nice, but did make me laugh. I'm so excited for you and your new life. I cannot wait for you to get out and run and move. Happy healing. We cannot wait for your before and afters to add more color to your awesome story! Thanks for sharing and keep us updated in your recovery.