The First Day of the Rest of my Life...- Pleasanton, CA

I consider it an honor to share my story with all...

I consider it an honor to share my story with all of you. I have been heavy all of my life but never really realized just how heavy I was. Confidence was something that I always showed others even while on the inside I was dying... literally. Some say I took the easy way out... I say, Walk a day in my shoes and then determine that.

I suffered with knee problems, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, diabetes, asthma and a host of different ailments. I could not walk from my front door to the mailbox without feeling like I was about to die.
My family doctor, whom I love Dr. Raissa Hill begged me to consider the gastric bypass on several occasions of which I adamantly refused. I gave the excuse," I will NOT let anyone cut on me... they want you to lose weight first and if I can do that I don't need the surgery". Dr. Hill said okay with a very sad look on her face and excused herself from the exam room.
While she was out I walked over to my chart *before they had computers* and read the follwing....." Patient counseled regarding gastric by pass procedure but refused.. Prognosis: imminent demise." I felt like the win got knocked outta me. This chart said I was going to DIE.. No.. I CAN'T die.. I am too young. I started to cry uncontrollably. Dr. Hill walked back into the room and asked what was wrong. I said.. why didn't you tell me I was going to die? She said. I didn't want to HAVE to tell you that. I immediately told her YES I want to do it.. whatever it takes I want to LIVE. I was 46 and all of a sudden craved life.

She attempted to get a weight on me to start the process. I couldn't be weighed on a regualr digital scale. I was too heavy.I had to go to a packaging company and get weighed. I tipped the scale at 503 pounds. Yea, I said 503. How in the heck did I allow myself to get THIS big.. ??? Then I thought to myself. The scale MUST be lying.. cuz, I don't look THAT big when in fact I DID look that big.
July 27, 2010 I had the procedure and my life changed. I have to take vitamins daily for the rest of my life... I can deal with that.... a B12 injection once a month... I can deal with that... and I have had to give up certain foods as well as restrict my portions to only 4 ounces per meal. I can deal with that too.. All in exchange for LIFE.
My current weight is 245. I have had a TT to remove excess skin where 15.4 pounds was taken off. I am also scheduled for a Medial Thigh Lift on December 12, 2013.

My journey has not been an easy one emotionally. The people that I thought would have my back and be my support were the ones I suffered the most ridicule from. "You are going to have surgery and you are going to change." "Why can't you just be normal and diet like REGULAR people do?" Then after my TT I was told I was plastic and that I wasn't the same Renata any more. You are dang blasit right... I am the NEW and improved Renata. I love life ... and have come to the decision that NOTHING will hold me back. In June 2011 my dad passed away at a young age. 65 so I decided to go full force into taking care of myself and being happy. September 20, 2011 I entered into a wonderful relationship with an AWESOME man, Kenny. He has my back in everything I choose to do.

If you are reading this then you are either considering the procedure or already have had it. Either way, I say DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! There's so much more out there when you make a decision to take care of yourself and put yourself first..
If I had to do it all over again... I would run to the head of the line!
I love me!!!!!
Dr. Dat T. Nguyen

Fantastic doctor...very professional, truthful and straight forward. Staff was very kind, helpful.

Thank you all!!
You look wonderful. I know gastric bypass saved my life I was 350 pounds. .
Bravo Girl! I too get sick of folks saying surgery is the easy way out...WALK A MILE PEOPLE! fighting your way through what I think is close to a 300+ weight loss?? That is amazing girl....don't forget that!
You look fantastic!!
This is the first time I've read this part. You're amazing. Here's to the NEW Renata!
Bless you! Congrats on your success!!
thank you so much!!

what a great journey, Renata. You've done yourself and your dad proud! You've worked hard, look great and deserve your new life!

Congrats, you look great. Sometimes you have to reevaluate relationships if they are nit supportive
You have a point.. However kinda difficult when its family... oh well I know what I want and whats best for me.. and I will continue to get that... despite any and all opposition... :-)