Had Upper Eyelid Surgery, Should Have Had Brow Lilft, Left with TINY Eyes, Uneven, I Look Like a Freak!

No pros that I can think of at this time. I wanted...

No pros that I can think of at this time. I wanted to get rid of the sad, tired look I had gotten from the past 5 years of stress (my only son, 17 years old, drowned and I've had to move over the country for my seriously ill teenage daughter (and only surviving child). My face fell because of the stress and I was getting botox to help lift and reduce wrinkles. Each time I'd go in, the doctor would say to me, "I'd get your lids done." Finally I gave in and said I would. I think I should have had a forehead lift instead.

I'm not as concerned that the surgery lines are not in the creases as I've read those will eventually fade. I'm okay with out a lid crease. What bothers me the most is my eyes are VERY UNEVEN, droopy lower lids which make me look ill, unevenly shaped eyes, and my eyes are about HALF the size they used to be! I look like a freak! I am at a loss as to what to do next. Yes the swelling will go down, but it won't make the eyes even, or the shape of my lower lid go back to normal. I feel as if I've been butchered. I wasn't looking for miracles, I didn't expect to look younger. I just didn't want to look tired and sad all the time. My right eye is pushed up toward the tear duct.

Please help me. I'm scared to death and just don't know many people in town to talk to (I just moved here last year). Thanks.

Okay, so I spoke WAAAAYYYYY too soon. So far now a...

Okay, so I spoke WAAAAYYYYY too soon. So far now a week and a half later, my eyes look really nice. They seem to be evening out, but still slightly off. Sometimes I look at my eyes and think, wow , I look great. Other times I look and go, what did I do? But as far as the doctors talents, she's pretty good. The thing I'm having the hardest thing with is the laser resurfacing. I'm not healing very quick. NOT the doctor's fault. I think she made the right decision to do it because I had many sun damage wrinkles. They are virtually GONE now. No new wrinkles like I read can happen fi it's done wrong. But I am still scabby after a week and a half and when the dry skin peels, it starts to bleed. I think it's just me though? I actually am thinking about going BACK to her for a lower face lift! I know, I spoke way too soon, and read way too much on line and spoke out of line about my doctors skills. Word of advice when you fill these things out online - wait AT LEAST a month or two before you start talking about how you hate or love your face. LOL My doctor is an artist. I was very lucky.

I'm one month post op and I love the way I...

I'm one month post op and I love the way I look. I have some issues that I'm hoping will clear up with time. Like the tiny scar fro the stitch on the outside of my left eye. The lasering done underneath my eyes has been the hardest to deal with. It's REALLY hard to prevent damage to the new skin. I've already burned from the sun (even though I used sunscreen) and now it's tan. REAL tan -- tanner than the rest of my skin! lol Hopefully that will fade. TIP - don't have lasering done in the summer. Have it done in the winter when you are not outside as much and when it's not constantly sunny.

One month in and I"m very happy. Still healing!

One month in and I"m very happy. Still healing!

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

She didn't make promises saying that I'd look so much younger, etc. She did say I was really in need of the surgery. She seemed very confident. I'd been in her office for two years getting botox (not from her) and I had not seen anyone who I thought looked bad. I thought I'd jumped right in. What I found out (after the fact) was that there is more than one way to fix an upper eye lid droop. It had never occured to me to research that. She had wanted to do a lower face lift, but I was not prepared to do that at this time. I don't live in an area where women as careful about their looks. So I'm not sure how much work the plastic surgeons get. So the pickings are slim here. See another doctor!

Iv just had a browlift 8 days ago and my eyes look tiny I'm so depressed please some one tell me it's gunna be ok
It's going to be okay, believe me. I've sent you a private message. Hang in there!!!
I think you look great! :)
I had an upper and lower blepharoplasty three years ago. I have those same indentations you mention that extend from the outer corners of my eyes. One eye is worse that the other and its more visible in certain lights. I just hope that people perceive it as a wrinkle because its very close to where my crows feet are. My point is that I don't necessarily think this is a by-product of bad surgery but an unfortunate side effect of the surgery itself. The last thing I would do is have more sugery to try and correct it. Regarding botox - I spend a fortune on it too and actually had a top up just yesterday. My upper and lower blepharoplasty was a success but it still won't prevent wrinkles forming!

By the way, I was also considering going for a lower face lift but I get the impression that face lifts are becoming bit passe and that laser treatments like Fraxel are the treatments du jour for tightening up skin. Just a thought... you don't look like a face lift candidate to me just yet.
I'm taking some pictures and will update. NEXT procedure I'll be looking into is a lower facelift!
This whole post is so confusing, are you happy or unhappy with the results? I think the after pic of you in the car is fantastic - you look like Heather Locklear and your eyes look much younger! A forehead lift would not have acheived this result on its own.
Be patient, it takes a while to come to terms with the changes that surgery brings and it really takes a long time to heal completely and for things to settle down.
Sorry about the confusion. I've been moving from Scottsdale, AZ -> Pittsburgh, PA -> Nashville, TN!

I'm happy I had the upper eye lids down, the laser underneath the eyes was a waste of time and money. It still costs me a mint to bet botox for the wrinkles underneath my eyes.

Now, 7 months afterward I can say that I would NOT recommend this doctor. *sorry Lori* The reason I say this is that my eyes look 'okay' and yes better than before, but I am scarred on my lids and need ANOTHER surgery to correct the deep intentations from where the incisions were.

I'm not talking about the red lines that disappear (ever so slowly) but real scars that are deep and have to literally be filled in to cover them up. They are not red, but they look as if someone took a chick of my eyelid out. Surgery is the only way to correct her mistakes.

SO - if you live in Pittsburgh, do NOT use the same doctor I used. ANd don't bother with the laser underneath your eyes, you still have to use Botox anyway.

I'll try to upload a photo sometime of just my lid so you can see what I am talking about, but at this time I am in corporate housing and I don't have a decent camera to take a photo that will show the scars. (All my stuff is in storage until we move into our house)

About the conflicting comments about Dr. Cherup -- I was still seeing one of the nurses at her office to get my injectables so I wasn't as honest about my disappointment as I could have been concerning my surgery. But I had nowhere else to go for my injectables at the time.

Now I'm back to a normal area and will seek out help from a better doctor.

I'min the Nashville/Brentwood area if anyone has any suggestions. However wise I'll hold off until I get back to Scottsdale, or go to Miami for corrections.
** forgot to mention that hyperpigmentation can be lightened with products containing hydraquinone, azialic acid, bilberry and others...just be sure they are made specifically for the eye area**:)

Hi There, I am a licensed Aesthetician and I wanted to offer you some advice regarding the skin on your lower lids being traumatized by the laser. This is a very thin delicate skin obviously, that is now hypersensitive to the elements. You were right to use an SPF to protect your skin. I don't know which type of product you used, however, I have read that many sunscreens contain chemical components that react with your body's chemistry and actually heat you up. In other words, if you applied this type of product on the skin and then took the temperature of the skins surface-it would be higher. Heat brings on hyperpigmention. It sounds like what you are experiencing. This is going to be an ongoing issue for you since you've had laser treatment. Unfortunately, many women are using products they think are beneficial and are actually creating adverse affects. In most cases they won't show up for some time. But, your delicate skin is trying to heal itself so you're seeing the effects right away.
Hyperpigmentation is treatable. You need to protect your skin with a physical sunblock that cools the skin. This would be a mineral makeup product. Which is really just a dry brush on sun block that is anti-inflammatory an anti-microbial. You can get this in a 20spf or a 30spf....you can also get it in a cream form, like a mineral "crayon" concealer. Just beware of drug store brands claiming to
Be mineral, when in fact they are vastly different from pure mineral product and don't offer the same protection. In fact pure mineral makeup that is processed correctly (should float in water) is actually rated as a treatment for rosacea conditions (redness) an can improve the look of red skin because minerals are vaso-constricting...so, you're actually better offgoimg out with minerals on than going bare faced. Once you've got your sun protection under control, I would suggest a vitamin C eye gel all around the eye (including eyelid) in the a.m. With a little eye cream layered around the outer eye area. Vitamin C will help prevent more hyperpigmentation and aid in collagen synthesis. The gel formula will act as a stimulant to help with stagnation of lymphatic fluid (puffiness). At night, you might use a collagen fluid made for eye area, all around eyes (including lid) with a little eye cream at outer corners. Collagen acts as a humectant - it helps you retain lipids (oils) and plumps up the skin for visible immediate results. Maybe your doctor told you all of this already and has given you some good products to work with. If you are interested, you can email me and I can fill you in on some of my favorites-I've been in the skin care industry for over 20 years...best of luck to you in any case-I think you are a sunny, beautiful girl...thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Thank YOU for all your advice! I will take you up on the email.
Thanks for the compliments. =)
omg u look so much younger sorry for ur loss. i have a friend donig this procedure and i too would like to also im 39 and i get botox in the forheard and eyes but i need more than i want to be paying so i need more a perma fix. i noticed that at 39 even in the past 2 yrs my face and stuff has changed pretty much. i do look tired in pics i have bagging under my eyes
I think you look beautiful! your eyes look great I like it! you look younger too!! Sorry to hear about your children! many blessings to you!
I think you look very pretty. It's amazing how much younger eyes can make a person look. It really took years off your face. Sorry about the laser experience. I had a light TCA peel (only 15%) and wasn't real thrilled with even a lighter peel which only took about 10 days to heal. I can't imagine how I would feel if it took a month to heal. My bleph turned out great also. I feel so much less tired looking. It really does perk the face up. :-) I think we both were fortunate with results on the blephs. You certainly don't have that surprised look and I'm fortunate enough to have not had that result either.
I'm trying to figure out how to upload a picture that shows what I look like at this time (about a month post-surgery). My profile picture is my most recent photo showing that I look like now. My skin under my eyes is not the greatest. Would I do THAT again? The whole laser stuff? I don't know. I"m still not healed and it's hard to say whether it was worth it or not. I just have to learn to be patient. Here's a tip though - if you go in the sun - use the highest SPF you can find. I didn't use the strongest and I got burned under my eyes (even with sunglasses on) and now it's tan and it tanned MUCH darker than the rest of my skin! Obviously because it is such new skin. NOT MY DOCTOR'S fault. Totally mine. But I wish I had learned more about what I needed to do POST op. Let me know what you think of my current picture of my eyes. It's the picture on the profile with the blue shirt I took inside my car. lol
How are you feeling now and has your skin healed more post peel? I'm having an upper bleph and TCA peel around my eyes tomorrow. A bit nervous. How was the procedure itself? Did you remember anything about it? I've been told I will be in Twilight Sleep. Thanks! By the way, I think you look great!! It doesn't look like you needed a brow lift at all. That probably would have given you that dreaded shocked look. You have a nice brow line/arch. I think once all the swelling is gone you are going to be very pleased with your upper bleph/peel. It looks much better already and you were pretty before anyway. I bet you'll feel refreshed and younger looking in the long run. I'm so sorry about your son. I've lost a brother and can't imagine losing a child. I have a son and daughter in their 20s. I hope your daughter is doing better. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Oh -- and I meant to say, your initial reaction is a helpful thing to read even if it wasn't flattering to the doctor. It's how you felt at the time. Plastic surgery can be an unsettling experience at first. I had a rhinoplasty in my late 20s and remember crying in the first week and telling my husband the doctor had turned me into a pig. lol :-) Of course, the swelling went down and I absolutely loved my nose in the long run. It's normal to experience stress when one is swollen, red, frightened, etc.
Thanks for the photos. Sorry, it looks as if she was WAY TOOO conservative in the skin removal from your upper eyelids. Just my interpretation of your photos. From MIAMI DR. B
Which photo are you referring to? My daughter livesin Coral Gables, maybe I could stop in for a consult?