I Really Did This!!! -Pittsburgh, PA

Forever, I have tried to compensate for the fat...

Forever, I have tried to compensate for the fat pad under my chin. In high school I recall stretching my neck as if I was intent in conversation, lol. In my teenage mind, I thought if I stretched my neck like an ostrich it would flatten that little fat pad. Well, as time moves on the fat pad morphed into the wrinkly, turkey waddle.
A few years before, my sister took the leap and had her waddle removed. I decided the time was right for me. However, I agonized over the decision for a very long time. Not one to jump into anything even remotely risky, I questioned every detail. My erratic heart arrythymia that surfaces twice a year, the nausea and vertigo I suffered at 13 after emergency surgery, ... All of these factors created much angst. Finally, my sister summed it up well, ' either shut up or put up.'
I had 5 consults with different doctors in the area. I liked most of them, but no sooner would I decide on one, I would hear a horror story from someone about the doctor. Finally, I consulted with Dr. Francis Johns because so many people knew someone who had work done by him.
Presently, I am 16 days post op, I am still swollen. The sides of my neck are hard and tight, and my ears feel like the have weights attached to them. I would love to wear earrings but that is a long time out. All in all, it has been pretty easy. The hardest part is sleeping elevated and on my back for another two weeks. For me, this is not natural. I am sleep deprived. Along with that, the only other complaint is that the night of the surgery, my shoulders spasmed, and no amount of Percocet or muscle relaxers would relieve it. That was painful. I hope to post some photos of my results soon. I want to thank everyone who offered advice and support before and immediately after. It really is great to have this community.

Sleeping is getting more and more difficult.

I am finding it hard to continue to sleep elevated and on my back. I am 17 days post op. I still have 2 more weeks of this. Ugh! Any suggestions?

Miss My Earrings

I am one of those people who feel half dressed without my earrings, but considering that my ears are numb and feel like rocks I doubt that I'll be wearing them for awhile. What do you think?? Maybe a few stickers are my ears will suffice? LOL.

Make-up

Has anyone else experienced 'a cosmetic binge ?' I admit it has a been like a kid entering a candy store. when I enter Sephora or Ulta. However, I've bought a lot of make up since my neck and mini lift. Happily, I can now wear turtlenecks without drawing attention to my neck. It is great.

Concerned at 5 weeks

In the last 10 days I have developed a soft hollow flap of skin that runs vertically from under my chin to the top of my adam's apple. It is very noticeable when I turn my head. I see the PS in 2 days. I hope that this is not loose skin. I posted a photo on ask the doctor section. This has me feeling very defeated.

Am I Crazy?

I saw the PS this week, and I expressed my concerns about the skin on my neck. He believes that my neck is tight, and I am doing great. Sure hope that he is right. Anyway, he told me that I can't sleep with the side of my face resting on the pillow for a very long time. He said the internal stitches will not be healed for at least 4 months ! Here we go again with sleep deprivation. So... I have permission to sleep with my ear and back of my head on the pillow, but the side of my face should not touch the pillow. This sure seems like a long time.

about 4 weeks post op

I am still very swollen at this time. I will try to post a more recent one.

Obsessed

When I saw the PS at the end of January, he said that the internal sutures will take 4 months to heal. He suggested that I sleep on my back during this time. I start off that way, but I find myself on my side. Yesterday, an internal suture protruded in front of my ear and came out. I am still very numb and swollen in front of my ears and down the side of my neck, yet under the chin is pretty soft.
I wish it was reversed. Tight under chin and soft on side of neck. I am obsessing over the results. This is definitely an improvement, but it is not as tight as it was. I worry over the next year, it might just drop. There is a small amount of skin near platysmal muscle that seems loose.
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Johns has done a wonderful job. I hope to continue to heal as I have. I am excited to see the real results in a few weeks. Nurses and staff at the Delmont Surgery Center were wonderful, too.