Fantastic Doctor - Pittsburgh, PA

I am a distance swimmer and the excess skin on my...

I am a distance swimmer and the excess skin on my arms would chafe terribly when swimming long distances, and this was particularly painful in salt water. I had abdominoplasty in 2004 (different doctor/town), so I knew plastic surgery hurt. And it did. But my doctor was excellent and I felt like I had a partner in the recovery process, which made a huge difference. And now my arms don't rub at all when I swim! Very pleased with the outcome. It was worth it.

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

Your arms look really good and the scar looks great. If you don't mind me asking, did you have excess skin because of weight loss, or was it just general excess skin?

I'm going to need this surgery in the future and I think I'm most nervous about the pain, etc. Was your movement restricted at all, initially, because of the scars?

Weight loss. I have had abdominoplasty too over 10 years ago. I lost 100 lbs between 2004-2004 thought diet/exercise. The stomach skin was so loose it would come untucked from my pants. I could barely move initially when the arm wounds were fresh and it was extremely painful. The worse part was not being able to get comfortable to sleep with my arms stuck out front like Frankenstein. But the horrible part did not last as long as others' that I have read about on the internet. There were a few really really bad weeks. Then it got better. I was back at yoga after three weeks and ran the turkey trot 5k on Thanksgiving (my surgery was 11/5). Granted both of these things were not at the level I was at pre-op. But I was able to get out there and finish it.

Well congratulations on your weight loss, first of all. That's an amazing achievement!

The recovery is really what scares me the most! But, it's something that I will definitely need, so I guess it just has to be done. Maybe pain killers will help. :-)

not worth it afterall

I love my doctor and this is not his fault but I have developed lymphedema in my left arm as a result of this surgery. It is swollen, painful, and I need to be in compression 24/7. Ironically I had this procedure so I could exercise pain free. So much for that. According to my physical therapist she sees this often in brachioplasty patients. The long scar disrupts your lymphatic system. So much for thinking I made it through the worst part of this.
How are you doing?
Just finished a 2 hour stint in the flexitouch to try to bring the swelling down after a relatively short bike ride today. Lymphedema is incurable.
So this is something you will have to live with for the rest of your life? I hope therapy helps somewhat for swelling and discomfort. I have never heard of this and you are the first review i have come across with Lymphedema. Best Wishes and thank you for sharing with me your experience.
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Gusenoff and his staff were excellent. Pre-op and post-op, he answered every one of my questions (and I had a lot of questions). He is bright, personable, confident, and current with the medical literature.