Red As a Tomato - Phoenix, AZ

I have had brown aging spots on my face for about...

I have had brown aging spots on my face for about 15 years. I'm 69. Over the past few years they are getting larger and there are more of them. Used lots of concealer under foundation but they still bled through. Most people I talked with about it said they didn't even notice, but it bothered me. I decided laser was the best solution thinking I could have my skin sort of evened out overall. The doctor I went to has done work for me before and he is excellent. He made it very clear before the procedure that the procedure would take only about 1/2 hr but the recovery was rugged. I have no complaints about him at all.

I am now within three days of going into my fifth week. My face is still red as a tomato. Even wearing good cover-up makeup (the Jane Iredale line) redness still shows through after 4 or 5 hours. I did tell the doctor that my face, while not sensitive, does get red quite easily. I don't blush and my skin tans easily although I stopped doing that 30 years ago.

I am writing to ask if anyone else has stayed red a long time. I know that term "long" is relative, but I was reading that people with my skin type can stay red up to a year. I'm signed up to go on a cruise with my husband and another couple in less than two weeks. I could cry when I think of trying to keep this mess of a face adequately covered for the 22 day cruise. I'm so very, very angry at myself for getting into this mess to begin with. The thought of dealing with it for a year almost makes me physically ill. I've noticed that the scales are going up, up, up, too. I worked really hard to lose 40 lbs but now I don't even care about that anymore.

I've tried various creams and lotions, Hydrocortisone 1%, argan oil, Bio-oil, pure aloe from plants in my yard, etc. Nothing seems to make much difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Please see my reply to Eva above. It is an update to where I am now, approximately 4 months post-op.
I was wondering if, prior to your decision of laser for your face, you considered chemical peel? Did any doctor discuss this option and if so what were the benefits of laser over a peel that led to your decision. I don't think chemical peels such as TCA (which is available in varying strengths) have these "extended redness" issues.
I am on day four now of having upper and lower eye lid surgery as well as a Total FX CO2 Laser treatment to my entire face. I did not consider a chemical peel. My PS felt that since I was going through the upper and lower eye lid surgery and would have down time anyway that I would benefit from the TOTAL FX treatment. Being that this is only day 4, I am still slowing seeing my skin gradually peeling down. It was only painful the first day and gradually felt no pain by the end of the 2nd day. It is a mess though. I look like a train wreck. Two black a blue eyes and red skin. I hoping not to get cold sores but the doc did put me on meds to prevent that although today I think I am seeing small blisters by my lower mouth corner. DARN IT! This has been a rough 4 days with so much more recovery yet to come. It is not an easy process. You have to really want it. Today I am not sure I did.
Sorry to be so long in replying. I try not to over-think this skin situation so I probably put it out of my mind. No, I didn't consider a chemical peel. I had a friend who did the laser many years ago and her skin turned out beautifully. Never considered that laser might be a wrong option for me. In fact, the two cosmetic procedures I've had. . . . . .facelift and breast reduction both turned out perfectly, I think. This has definitely been a reality check. I'm finished with such "procedures" from now on.
I am having a full face C02 Fraxel laser treatment done tomorrow. My doctor did warn me that redness can stay for 3 months or longer as your skin develops new collagen. How are you now? How long has it been. Would you do it all over again?
I have redness for 10 months after a CO2 laser peeling.
No, I wouldn't do the laser if I had it to do over. But as I said in a reply to Grace60, the same PS did a facelift for me in 2007 and it's so good three of my friends went to him, too. (And they look great) I think how skin reacts to the CO2 laser is just very dicey. It has been nearly six months. The redness continues and I must use more makeup than I did before the laser procedure. I'm thinking it may be a year before I can say how it all turned out. "Who would'a thunk, eh?"
I believe it. I'm even thinking it may be a year or more for me.

Hi there, so glad you took the time to share your review. You mention you have redness and want to try and reduce it as quick as possible, I am no expert but I highly recommend a product called Tepezcohuite cream or pomade ( I use the pomade) I love this stuff and have been using it for years. It's a natural product with amazing healing properties. It comes from a tree or shrub native to Brazil, Mexico. Good luck!

Thank you for this information. I am going to look into it, for sure.
Eva It is now March 12, 2014. My procedure was done Oct 23, 2013. I may be off by a day or two but it's close. The redness I wrote about in my Nov, 2013, post is still going on. It's more like a rash along the jawline. It seems to have gotten better with time, but I still must wear concealer under makeup, something I was trying to get away from in the first place. Anyway, I placed my order for Tepecohuite cream yesterday. I order a bar of Tepecohuite just for good measure, too. (I should have done this in December but my life has been so upside down in the past three months, my face was the last thing on my mind.) I also went back to my surgeon who said he'd never seen anything like it and gave me some cream which did nothing. I then went to a dermatologist who said the same thing. So for now I pin my hopes on Tepezcohuite. I'm not expecting miracles, but any improvement would be welcome.
Cool, glad you are going to give the Tepezcohuite a try, did you get the pomade? Please let me know how you make out with it.
Hi Eva Update on the Tepezcohuite cream. I did get the cream, by the way. It's April 5, 2014 and I've used the cream for about a month now. My skin does feel good using it and it continues to improve ever so little as the weeks roll by. (April 23 will be 6 months from the procedure date.) Honestly, I think I'm getting about the same results as when I use Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe lotion. The redness is still very apparent on my cheeks and a couple of places along the jawline. But now I am noticing that other places on my face (forehead, nose, along the sides of my face) are very light in color. Way, way lighter than my skin has ever been on my face. The irony of all this is that I was hoping not only to get rid of some coffee-colored spots on my face (they definitely are gone gone gone) but also to not have to wear makeup all the time. What a joke. I wear more now than ever.
Frizzy--I had to giggle reading your comment posted 4/5/14. I had upper and lower bleph plus total FX laser treatment to entire face on Jan 3. I was thinking how wonderful it will be not to wear makeup--that my skin will just be glowing. My skin is tighter but skin tone is not even. Because of the bleph I wear way more eye makeup to cover up the scars and way more face makeup than I ever did before to even out my skin tone. I would not dream of going out without makeup. Sometimes I just sit and think...I paid $8,000 dollars for this. What was I nuts? My hooded eyes are gone and my bags are under the eyes are gone but one eye is slightly droopy (hardly noticeable but I see it daily) and I wonder as I continue to age whether that will just get worse. Emotionally a roller coaster even with good results.
Hi LovelyInsideandOut We should all adopt your user name as a motto. I have to remind myself that no matter what procedure I have elected to have, it is secondary to the work I need to keep doing for the inside. . . my attitudes, my outlook, my getting exercise. . . . .you know what I mean. So even though I think my decision to have CO2 laser was not a good one, it's okay. The time will pass and I hope it will turn out well. In the meantime, one of my best friends suffered two strokes. Her life is upside down. As I told the physician's assistant at my PS's office, it certainly puts things in perspective for me.
Amen to that sister!
Thanks for the update - sorry this is so frustrating for you. I have never used the cream only the pomade and I also make a mask out of the actual bark which you can buy separately. I mix it with raw honey and let it sit for about 5-10 min. Some other natural things I do when my skin just feels bad is cut open a lemon and just rub on my face and let sit for as  long as I can then I follow up with cucumber slices which I rub on my face and let sit again for at least 10 min. Hang in there, in time you will see improvement. I also do at home chemical peels (but that I say do with caution and lots of research)

Here is a link to reviews we have on chemical peels: http://www.realself.com/Chemical-peel/reviews

Please do keep us posted and feel free to write a review about your experience with Tepezcohuite,
Thank you for the words of encouragement, Eva. I appreciate it. I don't dwell on the issue of the redness, but it is a reality. My skin absolutely soaks up whatever cream I put on it (last night it was Tepezcohuite cream) and I always keep it moisturized. This is the 6-month mark. It's better than it was two or three months ago, so I have hope that by the one-year mark it will look pretty "normal." The thing that has surprised me is how light it has become. My skin has never been so light. I would be interested in learning about the process that is going on to cause it.
You could ask a Doctor on the site about the cause of your skin lightening :)
What a wonderfully supportive comment, it's important to put things into perspective and look on the bright side :)
Hi, I´ve done the same thing too in March this year, in the left side of my face, and it got a big red spot that became brown and then pink/redish, and now, after 8,5 months it is still visible, but has faded a little. In the begining I used a cream for regeneration, then when it was brown I used a cream for depigmentation, for about 3 months, then hydroquinone for 2 months, and now I´m using a cream for rosacea since the beginning of November. In this link you can see my mark in the previous months: http://www.realself.com/question/red-mark-left-fractional-laser?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=QAns&utm_content=H3.CTA.Answers#1017617