Day 1 After Tx. Lots of Immune Reaction - Philadelphia, PA

For the past 8 years, I have always dreaded the...

For the past 8 years, I have always dreaded the wings tattoo spanning my back. It was only an outline for a good 7 of the years until year 8 where it was decided that i would shade it in in the hopes that i would feel better about how it looks. big mistake!! it was surpremely dark and just didnt work like i wanted. anyways, i really thought i was doomed to endure this for the rest of my life.

Come to find out about 4 days ago that there was a solution. i've heard of Q-Switched lasers but the new Picosure technology meant purportedly, less heal time/sessions and better ink breakup. it was more expensive, sbout 25% more than the Q i think.

the pain level: tolerable and comfortable for about 5 minutes. but my tattoo is huge, about 20" x 20". at about 12 minutes, the pain is pretty intense. for me, talking does not help - in fact it makes me more uncomfortable but i've heard some people hum during the procedure. find what works best for you.

the first 30 minutes AFTER the procedure is the worst, its like the feeling of a terrible sunburn but it progressively subsides as you continue on through the day (dont worry!!)

my doctor also told me the first treatment is typically the most painful. ill let you know if thats true..giving completely honest feedback here.

all in all, its too early to say of any results as you can see, however i'm having a strong immune reaction which is a good sign. will keep you guys updated as i go.

remember NOT to rush the process.

Bubbles gone. Pink emerges. Shading is gone

The bubbles slowly popped, (or I popped them myself, I couldn't help it).. Sleeping as you can imagine was terrible.. sleeping on my stomach is NOT how I am accustomed to, so I took a Diazapam and just hugged a body pillow for 4 days and was ok. Can sleep regularly now.

The shading is coming off, I have a pile of shedded ink falling off me. I know it sounds gross but I'm being transparent here through my progress.

The ink in general has lightened, its noticeable. I expect it to lighten more in the coming weeks. Will report back in with progress!

Heres the Original

Jill - Ringpfeil Dermatology

Overall honest that it would be very painful, and that I would hate her for the next 3 weeks. Considerate of my well-being

Hi there, just checking in for an update, how are you progressing with your removal - would love some updated photos.
i have immune issues and i'm scheduled to see jill on friday. i just don't see that this pico laser is up to snuff with normal lasers.. scary
Thanks for posting the pics of the blisters. As gross as they are I had the same size/amount and couldn't see any others that suffered the same-it freaked me out! I feel like I have alien skin (just got my first treatment on Saturday) but at least I know others are experiencing the same! Good luck with your journey.

Hey PrettyPrettyPrincess, curious to know more about your tattoo that you are having removed. You should start a review and share your experience with us :) Hope to see you in the community soon!

Congrats man! The old laser you would probably have NO changes at all for the first few treatment, so feel good! I'll be following you all the way through this.
How do you deal with the pink skin? Mine is still pink after 4 weeks and my next treatment is in 1.5 weeks. Do you put some kind of lotion or anything?
I'm using Aquaphor on it half of the day, half off. I figure, its good to let the skin breathe every now and then.
2 1000mg fish oil tablets before bed too! Heard its good for the skin especially during this process of healing.
Heres a good article on Fish Oil Supplements, they contain omega-3 fatty acids: one which greatly benefits skin by regulating oil production to boost hydration and prevent acne, and by delaying the skins aging process to stave off wrinkles http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20411530,00.html

Hey there skielie, good question, in my opinion ( I am no expert) I would wait till the skin turns to normal color. I have found that waiting longer between sessions is the best thing. I got really red in one spot on my last treatment so I took a break and it is now just returning to normal color.

Do you have the tattoo on each arm? The results look pretty good, especially after so soon after only 1 session
I have the tattoo on both arms. Both are achieving good similar results. No pain now. Have been taking fish oil tablets as well, they seem to do the trick too. Healing has speeded up.
Is the arm in the pre-treatment pic different than the arm in the 1 week post-treatment pic?
Yes, very much. I have a pile of the shadings that has fallen off. Its considerably lighter.
No, sorry, I meant is one pic the left arm and one pic the right arm? Because the wing shape looks different and I see you have some more ink lined on in your newest pic. The shading has definitely come out by the looks of it!
Oh I see what you mean. No, both are equally lasered and look alike. The more fuller/darker one is just one wing, pre-op. I got both wings done and plan to each session.
Ouch... That looks painful. Thanks for posting and sharing your story. I'm also in the process of having a full back piece lasered - its been a long and frustrating process with the Q-Switch, and many times I find myself wishing I'd never started it, although I do my best to stay positive. That might be easier now that a Picosure laser is available to me. This forum, and posts like yours, also help a lot. It's nice to know I'm not alone, and that others are having amazing results with the Picosure. I look forward to following your photos.
Consider getting a cover-up once its dulled enough. This will remove that mental itch to reach for total tattoo elimination. Consider it as a backup :) I heard Q-Switch takes many, many, many, many passes. 20 Tx compared to 6 Tx on a Picosure. I'm flaking right now, ink is shedding off of me.. strange to see. Will post pics tomorrow.
Oh yeah... A cover up is definitely the plan. Although I'd love to have my nice clean back back, I can't imagine dealing with the years of laser treatments it would take to get to that point! I feel soooo done with this whole process - it's been over a year already. Starting picosure this month and I'm hopeful I can start the cover up by spring. Are you going for full removal or a cover? Can't wait to see your pics tomorrow!
I'm covering up. I have a few other tattoos, my right arm is a Nightmare Before Christmas sleeve. It will be nice to put a moon in place of the wing thats present there right now. On the other side is up for debate, but I'm looking forward to thinking of something creative that is part of who I am. I wish you the best, I see you comment on many other threads. I'll be looking out for your Picosure treatment pics!
Awesome! I agree... Thinking of ideas for, and planning the cover up totally helps with this process... It helps to keep you excited for what's to come. I'm in the car on my 2 hour journey for my last q switch treatment as I type this... Watch for my pictures after I start my first picosure treatment at the end of the month. I've decided to do it to help others like you guys are helping me. Much appreciated!

I think it's going to be really cool to watch the transformation from removal to cover up...and lotuscat I agree, it does help to have something to look forward to! Check out this members review, she just finished her removal and got her cover up, looks great!

My Tattoo Removal - Houston, TX

Hope your treatment went well!

Thanks so much for sharing your story, sorry to hear you were not happy with the outcome of your tattoo once the shading was added... the good news is people have had some great results with shading clearing after just one treatment, check out this members review http://www.realself.com/review/true-skin-medispa-tattoo-removal-my-chances . Can I clarify, did you say it took 12 minutes to treat your tattoo?

Yes, Jill basically came in and said alright 'man up, this is going to hurt, not going to lie to you, and we're going to do it in 15 minutes' it was painful but i am tolerant and patient enough.

Oh wow! That's intense, keep us posted!