Blepharoplasty Confusion - Festoons and Lasers - Philadelphia, PA

I have lower eye bags that I want to get rid of....

I have lower eye bags that I want to get rid of. The hot news these days is laser assisted blepharoplasty, but when I read more that approach also requires stitches. What's the deal and why is it so great?

More confusion is the issue of "festoons" very eye bags and many people warning having lower lid blepharoplasty will excacerbate festoons? I'm not sure what the heck the difference really is between a festoon and bad lower eye bags.

Lastly there is a surgeon in Tampa who claims to be the only guy to be able to eliminate festoons with a laser. So confused, don't know what straight scope is...help

Forgive my spelling. My question regarding...

Forgive my spelling. My question regarding Festoons is why are they different than protruding lower eye bags and how are they dealt with in lower blepharoplasty? Again the surgeon in Florida claims to be the only guy who deals with festoons with this procedure, which i don't fully understand.

Many thanks

I, too, have tried to locate a surgeon in Pennsylvania who performs the same festoon laser removal procedure. I asked for a referral from Dr. Scheiner's office. If I hear back I will post here.
I've been looking into correcting the problematic festoons I currently have also and although they're not so severe, every time I get fillers injected under my eyes or in my cheek area, they become more predominate. I will have to correct my festoons before I can use any type of filler. Festoons are those hideous deposits of fat that rest on your upper cheek bone that make you look tired and older, they often correlate with under eye bags but in my case not. I've found Dr. Scheiner to be the most experienced at correcting this problem but he's a bit pricey. The way I see it, is that you don't want to mess with your face, so I'm willing to pay the extra money, to have the job done right. I've heard nothing but good things on Dr. Adam Scheiner but if anyone else has a great recommendation on a doctor that's just as good but not so expensive, please let me know!
jc33, I hope you are recovering nicely. I sent you a private message. hugs
I'm currently sitting in a hotel in Tampa recovering from that very procedure done by Dr. Scheiner. I searched the country for the best & he's it. I'm from Chicago and I'm missing home but these bags are gone. There is zero (honestly) pain - only mild stinging from vinegar soaks. It was 10k but my face is worth it. The lower bleph that other doctors recommended would have just raised my bags higher. Bad lower eye bags are festoons really.
Dear realselfjc33, could you please answer some questions for me? I really need help. I never had a visible festoon until I had Juvederm injected in the hollows of both eyes. I had it dissolved, and now the festoon is very visible. It is an oval shape, and part was next to my nose, and extended into my mid-cheek area. A plastic surgeon looked at it and moved it to a highter position by putting Radiesse underneath it to raise it. After he did this is swelled up to the size up a plum and needed over fifty saline injections to reduce it's size. Now it looks like a huge eye bag underneath my eye and it sits on top of the bony ridge underneath the eye. I was wondering how long it took to set up an appointment for your treatment. Also, does the tissue remain but just become softer so there is no indentions in your face? I've read some about his procedure with the articles on the internet. How long did the procedure take? Do you know of any other doctors that do this procedure and what state they are located? How long did it take to recover to where no sign of surgery was visible, or was there some discoloration in the area of the festoon after recovery?

I am considering having the procedure done by Dr. Scheiner and was wondering about your results at this point. Are you still happy? Do you have before an after pictures that you would be willing to share?

Did he leave any outside scarring on your face or was everything done internally? It seems like every doctor that I've seen, does the external incision for the Blepharoplasty, this is why I think I will stick with Dr. Scheiner.
I had no scarring, but an indention where too much tissue was lasered off, and now will need filler for the rest of my life to fill it in. Luckily there is a new filer called Voluma that is supposed to last for two years for more. I haven't tried it as of yet but probably will.
Saying a prayer for you and your surgeon.
The eye shape is different due to the excess skin hanging over my left eye. The doctor could have excised the extra skin but didn't want to cut away too much as she had already excised fat and skin

Blepharoplasty
I just had lower bleph done on my eyes (along with a full facelift). There is a small incision line from close to my tear duct to the very outside corner of my bottom lid. The doctor had them taped up for 10 days, so they were very slanted looking and swollen. I am on day 35. My eyes are about 80% healed. One eye has had more swelling and a small infection in the outer corner of the incision due to a small lower lash that was sewn into the incision accidentally. I love, love my plastic surgeon in Plano, TX and am very, very pleased with the results. Please do your research. I went to 3 different consults before deciding. I know I picked the right doctor and love my results. People I know just say how good I am looking. They have no idea I had surgery and I am only 5 weeks out of surgery. I can't to see what I look like in 2 months! Good luck.
Hi cshcdi,
Can you please tell who was your doctor. I live in Frisco, Tx. I would love to do lower bleph. Thanks a lot!
If you get transconjuctival lower bleph, they go through the inside of your lower lid. It doesn't tighten up the skin though since there is no outer skin being cut so many times it is combined with fractional laser skin resurfacing. I had both with fat removal and transfer to smooth out my undereye puffiness. It is a little more painful with more complications than upper because of the way they go in. I had to have scar tissue that developed on the inside of one of my eyes zapped w a laser. It was quick but momentarily pretty painful. Also, I had persistant dry eyes for a few months and a lot of discharge every day which was merely an annoyance. All that being said, it is worth it if you find a good doctor. What the heck is a festoon?! lol. If you have really bad eye bags, you will likely need to have your lower bleph done by cutting the outside, I doubt you would get as good of results with a laser but a doc would know better. Make sure you go to multiple docs for consults. That way you can compare their recommendations (and prices) and absolutely go with your gut with the one you connect with. They will likely all have the same suggestions, if one is way out in left field, that could possibly be a red flag.