Having a Chin Implant is the Best Decision I've Ever Made - Philadelphia, PA

I had a medium/large chin implant + neck...

I had a medium/large chin implant + neck lipsuction on April 5th, 2013. The surgeon used a large implant and shaved it down to be somewhere in between medium and large. I am writing this review 1.5 weeks post-op. Overall, I am absolutely thrilled with my results. I feel confident, beautiful, and that my face is finally in balance.

My surgery was done under local anesthesia in the office. I was on Valium and Vicadin. It took a little over an hour and I thought I would fall asleep but I actually stayed awake through the procedure.

When I was comparing surgeons to pick where I wanted it done, I found that no other surgeon in Philadelphia would consider doing it under local anesthesia. It would be twice as much money for general anesthesia, as quoted to me by other places I called and by the office I actually used. I don't know if these other surgeons wouldn't do it under local because it's just easier if the patient isn't awake, because they have contracts with anesthesiologists to give them business, or what, but I ultimately felt very confident in my surgeon at Jefferson. I felt that he knew what he was doing, and he wanted to give me the least amount of discomfort possible while also making it affordable.

To discuss finances a bit, I was planning to save up and pay cash. In the end I decided to open a credit card with a promo offer of 18 months 0% APR, so I can pay the balance off over a year and a half and keep my savings in case of emergencies. I would NOT have considered putting the balance on a card where it would accrue interest, and I will definitely make sure it is paid off before my promo period is up.

The biggest con for me has been taking time off from work, but that was really a choice I made. I stayed home for a week after surgery primarily due to the bruising and swelling. The pain was minimal, and I could have gone to work if I didn't mind people seeing the damages. But I work with the public, and I have about 100 co-workers I see throughout the day, so I didn't want to continually be explaining what happened.

I also wanted to see if people would notice on their own once everything was healed. I've been back to work now for 3 days and only ONE person has noticed, and she couldn't figure out what it is, she just knew I looked "different." This is exactly the response I wanted. I didn't want to look different, I just wanted my chin to be balanced with the rest of my face.

Now that I've had this done, I feel like I have finally achieved this goal that I have had ever since middle school. I've always wanted to do it, but all I knew was that it was "plastic surgery" and that's expensive, and I will probably have to wait until I have a real job. I also don't think I could have convinced me parents to let me do it when I was younger!

Something that was a little frustrating is that none of my friends and family were really HAPPY for me, they were mostly against the idea, didn't think I needed it, and now are sort of neutral about it. It made the whole thing a lot less exciting for me. My therapist was THRILLED and gave me a lot of positive feedback. I told her that I was so glad she responded that way, and she said that I SHOULD be happy about it, because I am! And just because other people don't have the same thoughts as I do, that doesn't change how I should feel about it.

So, I would warn anyone considering any cosmetic surgery to be prepared for your friends and family to be less than thrilled by your decision, and once you have given it a lot of thought and ultimately decided to do it, seek out people who will give you the positive feedback that you really want and deserve and don't focus on the neutral or negative responses.

I'm happy to answer questions about my experience, and I am going to be adding photos soon.

Updated with photos.

Updated with photos.

The implant I have is Extended Anatomical Implant...

The implant I have is Extended Anatomical Implant from Implantech. My doctor used a size large and altered it slightly. He wanted me to have the large along my jaw line, but not protrude as much, so he shaved some off of the front.
Jefferson University Hospital, Dr. Hefflefinger

Wouldn't consider going anywhere else in the future.

You look awesome!! You are the only one you need to please! Certain procedures I have done and no one was really happy for me but myself. I am considering a revision chin implant. I have a "button" that was placed there 15 years ago and does no justice for my now developing jowls..lol. So my surgeon thinks it would be a good idea to change it out for the most needed wings that are provided nowadays!! I'm excited but no one really shares it. Oh well I do these things for myself!! :)
It is a fact that , mostly when your friends & family are non chalant or only want to bring up negative . they are Jealous #facts . Sad but true, this is why I opt to keep what ever I do between my husband & I ...oh & realself! ..lolol im 6 days post op chin implant & rhinoplasty & lipo. I took tape off chin today and even though still swollen i love it . I know it will be perfect onced healed. You look beautiiful doll!!! even if they dont say it, please note to yourself . doc did a great job ! ~
You look AWESOME! Congrats! I firmly believe that everyone should do what they want with their face/body. If your family and friends aren't that supportive, honestly they are probably just jealous that your result came out great, and you did something that makes you happy. Chin up, pun intended! :)
Thanks!
Love your story and how much info you put into it. It really helps the rest of us make informed decisions. Also, you look fantastic.
Thank you! Yes, I used other peoples' stories a lot while making the decision myself, so I wanted to give back as much as possible!
i wish there were like buttons here, i wont to like everything about this conversation!
your neck neckline looks so pretty, you look fabulous, i hope i have such good results, and thankyou for writing about your friends and family, mine are the same, they will be indifferent 2 years down the line, but right now...i guess theyre own insecurities get the better of them, i think it makes you look from average to beautiful, just a little tweak, im in the uk, here its normal to focus on getting BA's, but since i want to improve some of my facial features....people immediately think...i want to look like micheal jackson, your results prove you can look better, not wierd, and your story has really cheered me up some, thankyou
Thank you! Good luck with yours as well
You look perfect!
You look beautiful!! I am having surgery on November 14th and am getting the largest size. My profile is actually VERY similar to yours and I love your results. I'm so excited now!
Please post pics!!
Yes. Please share your story and pictures.
Your new chin and profile looks great!!! Thank you for posting!
Thank you!!
Is the scar noticeable??? I'm 16 years old and i absolutely hate my receeding chin. I cannot get over it and my dad has agreed 100% on me getting it (he's very supportive). The only thing holding me back from doing it is money. I will have the money by next year when I will be 17. I'm really scared i might not like the results.... and I'm also worried about the scar! Is it noticeable?
The scar is still sort of noticeable, but it's not terrible. I don't wear any make up at all and you can barely see it. If I were to wear foundation it would be almost invisible.
Hey! I have a question. My chin looks very swollen and like a big U shape. Im a week out and my face looks like one big round thing. There is no shape to the chin and it looks boxy and wide right now. Is this normal? Also I cannot feel my bottom lip at all and cant even smile, which is quite depressing because my smile before was huge and wide, one of my best features. Did you have this issue.
I feel like that too, my chin feels boxy and i feel it might be making my face longer. i'm really hard under the chin and I'm not even sure if its swelling or implant. I'm also a week post op
How was your implant inserted, orally or under the chin? I had my implant done under the chin, which is btw the safetest way...80% of phyisicians avoid orally. Which says a lot! My chin felt pretty hard under my chin as well, and I wasn't aware if it was my implant or the swelling and numbness at the same time. But after 5 weeks the hard feeling went down. You are a week post op, so any swelling or numbness is somewhat normal. I remember my phyisician number one concern was, if I feel my lips, lower lips that is. And my lips were totally fine and I move em and talk normally. Then again, implant put in orally have a higher chance of not feeling ur lower lip for a while, due to the nervs being stretch and damaged orally...which is almost zero if done under chin by a doctor who does chin implants routinely and not few times a year. You should post pictures? And what implant was used? Material and Size?
well for me he used medpor i believe. i think he used a large and at some angles i feel like my chin is that of a clowns. not sure how to post pics on the comment section
Jordy, I had the same problem with the smile. It's always been one of my best features and after the surgery I couldn't smile wide for a few weeks. Give it time, let your body heal itself and don't stress. I'm like 2 months post op now and I feel 100% back to normal. All feeling and range of motion is back. Neck doesn't feel tight when I look up, no problem with my big wide smile. Everything feels natural. Honestly the only thing I'm dealing with now is the scar... So hard to keep it moisturized throughout the day.
how was the swelling at around 5 days? I can't really tell what is swelling. when i feel my chin all i feel is the implant. so will my chin look less boxy after a week or two? so what I'm asking is: If I can't feel or see the swelling after 5 days, will the area go down after some time? my face feels like a rectangle.
Don't make any judgements until you're like 4 weeks out. I felt like my chin has no shape, like it was all just a big mound under my face, but it really does take several weeks for everything to calm down and for u to see the real results. Just give it time.