Happy 1 Month Anniversary to the New Boobs!

Hello ladies! I have been lurking on this...

Hello ladies! I have been lurking on this community board for far too long and finally got the courage to make my own post. So unlike most of the stories I have read, I have been a 34C/36B for most of my life. Although my weight has fluctuated, my breast size had remained the same until nearly 3 years ago when I got on birth control for the first time. I first started on Yaz around March 2010 and gained a few pounds but nothing too bad. I later switched to Loestrin 24 around September 2010 and since then I have gone up 15-20lbs and 3 cup sizes!

Not sure if I was in denial or not, but I only recently began to notice bras becoming way too tight, not covering anything, spilling out of every tank top, not being able to button-up any shirts, etc. I've spent around $400+ on new bras every few months because they kept growing! I am currently a 36 DD/DDD! I have since stopped taking any form of birth control and feel much better. I've also been working out 6 days a week for the past 4-5 months and the girls remain huge but I'm still determined to lose some more lbs!!

I hadn't ever thought I would get approved for breast reduction until I was also diagnosed with degenerative disk disease and started experiencing severe headaches. I had my first consultation appointment this past August and two weeks later found out I had been approved!! My surgery is scheduled for October 25 and I have all my labwork/testing scheduled for this coming monday October 1. I also forgot to mention, I am 26 years old and weigh about 160lbs. I'm hoping to go down to 145/150lbs and go back to a small C/large B. Thank you in advance for all of your support! :)

Hey Marie, congrats on the approval, I'm going threw the paperwork to get my approval. I'm 22, 5' and 118. I'm a 34G. If you have any questions be sure to ask, cuz the girls on here are geniuses and can answer anything! Good luck!
hi. i'm really happy for you. oct 25 will be here before you know it. :)
hi there i just got my surgery for breast reduction 3 weeks ago and im so happy, i was 38 DD and im 4 ft 6in tall so u can imagine how hard it was for my shoulders and back so i finally decided to do it and im so pleased with the out come im wearing support bras now and will be for a few months but it feels good cz im a B cup now so i if u think thats what you want to do go ahead its going to be a slow recovery and your boobs will b e sore but pain pills will be your best friend . im still takin pain pills before bed time, but its only been 3 wks since my surgery and im so happy i did it ive always had big boobs so im so so happy now. good luck

Just got back from my pre-testing appointment and...

Just got back from my pre-testing appointment and everything went well, did the necessary bloodwork and got my prescriptions for both pre and post-op. I do have a question though, for people who have had drains placed, how long do they usually wait to take them out?? I understand it varies but my first follow-up appointment isn't until 5 days post-surgery and that's when they said they would be removed. I'm a bit anxious and nervous about having the drains in for so long and not being seen 24 hours following surgery. Any suggestions?!?

I am 56 yrs old so our situation is a bit different :) one of my drains was removed about 6 days post-op the other 9 days (longer than most). I had to be returned to surgery the day of the surgery as I had excessive bleeding in the left breast. They removed a large hematoma (clot) about 250 cc, which is a pint. That breast just seemed to bleed more hence the length of the drain. However the drain is important and didn't really bother me. I don't smoke or take any blood thinning medication, don't know why I had this complication, but seriously, not a big deal. I think being that you are young, healthy, and normal body weight ( I am obese) you shouldn't have the drains more than a few days. And your recovery should be fairly easy.
Hey there! It's so funny, I was just talking to a friend about this very topic. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I've been asking around about stuff like this, too. From what I've read on the question forums, drains are completely up to the PS- some surgeons always use them, some never use them, and there are a bunch in between. That said, the friend I was talking to had the same scenario as you- discharged after the surgery and seen 5 days later to get the drains removed. She said she had to arrange to have someone with her every day to help her clear her drains, it was too painful to do it herself, so make sure you have some peeps lined up. Also, if you're really concerned about not being seen 24 hours following surgery, ask for an overnight stay! This is your body and your surgery and it is certainly not out of the ordinary to stay overnight for observation... if it would make your feel better, request it. I've seen a few other ladies on this forum who've done just that. My PS does an overnight as standard procedure, but if she didn't you'd better believe I'd be requesting it! ;) Our dates are pretty close together- I'm on the 30th. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!
Hey! I was a 38 DDD/F and just had a breast reduction on the 21st. You can see before and after pictures on my review. I had my drains removed 24 hours after surgery, however, I am now having problems with hematoma. I'm not sure whether or not having the drains removed that early has anything to do with the hematomas, but I have to wonder. Most women on here though seem to have drains left in 3-5 days post op. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!

Hello lovely ladies! So just a quick update - did...

Hello lovely ladies! So just a quick update - did all of my pre-op testing on Oct 1 and everything is normal yay! I've had a hard time finding cheap yet sturdy post-op bras, can anyone make any recommendations?? Less than 2 weeks away!! Eeeekk!! :)

I just asked the same question. Here are replies from Sassy and JSK with this recommendation: "I got this one http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=93536 Get the one with the 2 inch band, it wont sit on your incision. The black one is a little tighter than the nude one, but is still very comfortable." This is affordable so she got 2. about $30 each My surgeon also asked me to buy the Under Armour zip front sports bra/rcrosses in back, so I have both these on order. this one is about $50 ea.
I agree! Make sure you have someone to help you w/drains if you can. I couldn't muster enough courage to drain myself until 2 days prior to removal, made me light-headed and queasy! Had my drains removed at post-op which was one week later. Did much of nothing but resting during that time, but sure glad to have them gone now! I would highly reccommend an overnight for observation if insurance will cover. i don't know how anyone can go home after that procedure! I was so sore and out of it! But I did have a lot removed. Stay if you can!!! And Good Luck!!!

Hello Hello! Only 4 more days to go!! So I had yet...

Hello Hello! Only 4 more days to go!! So I had yet another question...I will have JP drains in place for up to 4 days post-op and have read contradicting things about showering with drains. Has anyone had any experience attempting to shower with drains or any advice they can offer? Please let me know! Thank you for all of your support again! :)

Marie - I have drains right now and am heading to my 3-day postop this afternoon. I have not showered and don't want to with these in. I don't want to get them wet and risk anything and I don't want to take my bra off without the doc's help. I will just use a washcloth where it counts and see what doc says today. Everybody has different instrutions though and I know some have their drains in for up to 7 days so that would be harder.
Thank you for the advice and link, very helpful!
Aww thank you for your input! I guess I was just nervous because I've noticed that many women here didn't even have drains but I suppose it's the doctor's preference. I will keep you posted on my experience! :)

Done & Done! Today is my 1st day post-op, had the...

Done & Done! Today is my 1st day post-op, had the surgery yesterday at 7:30AM. Here's a little timeline of how everything went:

5:00AM - Wakeup & shower
5:30AM - Arrival at the hospital, changed into a gown, put on compression sleeves on my legs and took Emend (pill for anti-nausea), nurse also placed a patch behind my ear for nausea as well
7:00AM - Got into the pre-op room where I met with the anesthesiologist, got my IV placed, met with my PS who marked me up and made sure I was clear with post-op instructions
7:30AM - The anesthesiologist gave me some medication to relax and i started to get wheeled off to the operating room and I was out like a light, don't remember much else at all
11:00AM - I wasn't fully awake but I could hear nurses asking if I was in pain or feeling nauseas, I would just nod my head and fell back asleep
1:00PM - Didn't fully wake up until now, I was out of the recovery room and in the post-op day unit. I still felt a bit nauseas so they gave me more meds. Slept on & off and still feeing a bit sedated, not much pain though. I was all bandaged up with a compression bra on and a JP drain per side. They had hooked the drains to my bra which has been so great for comfort and mobility.
4:00PM - Feeling good and decided it was time to head home. I was a bit unsteady walking at first but got my balance quickly and I was able to get a wheelchair to bring me to the front of the hospital and took a cab with my boyfriend home (we literally live 4 blocks away)

The rest of the day went by pretty quickly and surprisingly not in much pain (didn't even take all of my pain meds). I feel more uncomfortable than anything else. Sometimes I'll feel tingling where I think my nipples are? Nothing unmanageable at all. I was told by my PS that I could shower 24 hours post-op but I'm a bit hesitant to do so with the drains in place. She said to shower with my back to the water as a precaution, anyone else go through something similar? Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for all of your support! I still haven't seen the girls yet but I will post pictures soon! :)

hope ur resting up and doing well. happy healing!
Thank you so much! I got a quick peek when I was changing the gauze and they looked great, I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow! :) Ps. Did you or anyone else you might know use silver sulfadiazine cream on the incisions? Thanks!
Congratulations Marie! My drains were removed at the 3-day postop and then cleared to shower. I just sponge bathed prior to that. My first shower I kept my back to the spray but front still got wet. He used a glue with the tape on the incisions so most of that stayed put after getting wet. Sure felt good to wash my hair and shave under arms. Glad you are feeling so great - I felt the same too - amazing how easy it seems. As the days go by you'll feel your incisions more but hopefully no real pain. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

So it is day 4 post-op and I'm an definitely...

So it is day 4 post-op and I'm an definitely having cabin fever! To make matters worse, I can't even take a walk outside because of Hurricane Sandy arriving today/tomorrow. Additionally, my first follow-up appointment originally scheduled for Wednesday got moved to Thursday because my plastic surgeon's flight was cancelled while at a conference this weekend. Blahhhhh!!!

Funny enough I'm not actually in much pain but mostly uncomfortable with the JP drains. I've been cleaning the incisions with saline solution and changing gauze pads on a daily basis but still feeling gross because I haven't been able to shower. I'm also feeling itchy everywhere!! Trying to resist the urge to scratch!! I hope everyone else is doing well!

Great to read your story! Please be sure to keep us updated! I loved your timeline explaination. Gives me something to base things on.
So how many days are you going to have your drains in? I'm not to sure how long I'll have mine in. From what the nurse said at my pre-op I think it's going to be about a week for me. But she wasn't that specific so idk.
I will have had them in for exactly 7 days. I'm anxious to have them removed because I haven't showered and feel so restricted. I think it all depends on when your follow-up appointment is scheduled and the amount of drainage accumulated over a 24 hr period. When is your surgery scheduled? Best of luck! :)

Sorry I've taken so long to update! So yesterday I...

Sorry I've taken so long to update! So yesterday I had my first post-op visit and FINALLY got my drains out, hallelujahhhhhhh! I actually couldn't even feel them come out, no pain or strange sensations at all. I was finally able to take a shower but funny enough I felt very unsteady during it. After feeling so uneasy just standing in the shower I decided it would be best to get a haircut & blowdry at the salon and did that this afternoon, felt so great afterwards!

I've been in a little bit more discomfort since even having the procedure and this morning I woke up feeling like I had 2 (albeit smaller) balls on my chest, it felt heavy and very sore. I'm still very swollen and tender but tylenol seems to be doing the trick in relieving any pain. The scabs have been coming off when I clean the incisions and I have my 2nd post-op appointment this Monday. Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey Marie, you look great! Hope you feel great and are not in pain!
Now ur making me want to go get my hair done lol
do it!! haha :) my hair was such a hot mess beforehand (it's long and super thick) so doing it myself was not really an option. I felt so great afterwards too! :)

Hello all! I have to admit I've been MIA but for...

Hello all! I have to admit I've been MIA but for good reason, completely swamped at work! I went back to work on November 5th (had my 2nd post-op appt that same morning before work) and I must admit I've been completely exhausted ever since! I'm on my feet for some parts in the day and by 5pm all I want to do is curl-up on the couch and watch tv. It feels like forever ago that I had the surgery and to be honest, not sure how I functioned before. I feel so lightweight and comfortable in my own skin now, what a great feeling. I think my increase in confidence is quite noticeable because I've gotten so many compliments from people saying I look so great (both who knew and didn't know I was getting surgery).

In terms of healing, my incisions are doing well. I got a bit concerned the first week back at work because I started to notice a small amount (dime sized) of yellow-ish discharge coming from both breasts, the right breast at the bottom connecting incision and the left just below the nipple. I contacted my PS right away and she let me know that it is most likely my body reacting to the stitches and is quite normal. It didn't smell bad and I didn't have a fever so no worries. That was about a week ago and I'm proud to announce that it seems they are basically all healed! Hopefully now I can start some scar treatments, does anyone have any recommendations?? Please let me know!

Also, I found that the most frustrating thing about the life post-op was finding a comfy bra. Immediately after my drains were removed I wore a front-closure sports bra which was so uncomfortable and it rubbed-up against my incisions, yuck! I then used just a regular ace bandage for 2 days but found that to be tedious and annoying. FINALLY, i went to Macy's and found the Bali Comfort Revolution Wirefree with Smart Size (style #3484) - by far the most comfortable and amazing bra ever! I got 4 of them for $60 and have been wearing them for a week and a half now. Only tricky part is the due to my swelling and tenderness, I went up a size from "S" to "M" for more comfort. The straps are wide but not overly-so and non-adjustable which I love. Just thought I'd share!

I have my 3rd post-op follow-up this coming Monday and I'm so looking forward to being able to workout and be more active! I hope everyone else is doing well! Please don't mind the strange indents on my boobs in the new pictures, I was wearing gauze just in case I had more drainage and they left strange markings.

Glad your doing great! Glad work is keeping you busy. I'll be making my review soon, got my approval Friday! I'm scheduled for next month. Not sure what date just yet but it has to be done before the 31st.
thats a good bra!! i luv the bali bras as they come in all kinds of colors!! i have purple and pink! i also got a band size bigger for comfort. my incisions have been healed up but they are still sensitive esp to the friction of a bra. it does get better each day!
Funny thing is when I wore size "S" for a day I noticed that I felt bruised all around my ribs but there was no actual bruise there, so strange. Going up a size had eliminated that feeling but it's still super supportive yay! :)

So today marks exactly 1 month post-op and I...

So today marks exactly 1 month post-op and I couldn't be happier! I had my 3rd follow-up on Nov. 19th and it went very well, I can start working out next week woohoo! Not much else new to report - sleeping is still sometimes difficult to find a comfortable position and turning on my side can still be bothersome. I'm going to start using scar-zone this week, I've heard some positive reviews so we'll see! I hope everyone else is doing well! xo

Great update!! Healing looks fantastic! I got some Scar Zone too for later down the road. I am just polysporining the beejeepers out of the each night! Keep up the positive recovery!
Congrats!! It is so worth it!! :)