So Far with the Lux1540 - Pennsylvania

I just had my first lux1540 procedure done 3 days...

I just had my first lux1540 procedure done 3 days ago. This was the first of 5 procedures. There are alot of negative reviews about this laser, and only being day 2 I can't give any real answer to if it works or not. But I think alot of people don't understand that this procedure helps improve acne scars, wrinkles, etc., but will definitely not get rid of them. You can never remove a scar. So if you are looking for some type of improvement, in theory, this laser could help. And that being said...

At first I was really skeptical about going to my first appointment. After my doctor said this would be the right avenue to go for the shallow acne scars, I decided to do some research. I read alot of negative reviews. Tons. Some positive ones, but mainly bad ones. Though, in the end, I decided I had nothing else to loose. So, if I don't see any improvement then I at least tried to do something about it. I don't want to do dermabrasion -- the risks are way too high. Besides some scarring that I am self conscious about, my skin is pretty good. I don't want to take the chance to ruin all of my skin. I thought about excision, but my scars are too shallow. I went to a few doctors who said they would never replace my shallow scars for excision lines.

I am only getting laser done on my scars -- not my entire face. So to me it is less risky. I made sure I went to a facial plastic surgeon. I don't want to go to a spa where I see a doctor and then he sends me off to a less qualified technician. If I was going to spend the money on this, I wanted to make sure I had the right person doing this. I spent a month researching doctors before I made an appointment. Also, I am paying 350 a treatment.

The day that appointment came, I was sooo nervous. My doctor made me feel really comfortable. Told me that with my fair skin I need not worry about hyper pigmentation or any other major risk. I asked about fat loss -- he kind of pointed out that this occurs from less qualified professionals using the laser incorrectly. I said okay. We decided not to go to aggressive the first time, but not too light. Somewhere in the middle.

So, I didn't use the numbing cream. He decided to use local anesthetic to the several areas of my face. And ouch! I think that hurt more than the laser! Next time, I might just ask him if he wouldn't mind to use the numbing cream.

The laser part was not so bad. I definitely could feel it -- but it wasn't in my mind painful. It was like being poked with a dull pin. The part that actually did hurt the most was not an acne scar, but a tiny burn scar I have.

When I left the office, the parts of my face that were lasered where extremely white. I had a few blood drops from the local. But other than that, it wasn't so bad. It burned a little bit, like sunburn. When I got home, I immediately put ice on it, which helped alot with the swelling. My face started to turn slightly pink. The first day wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Day 2. I woke up, and could definitely see the little dots on my face from the laser only the spots that I believe he did a little more aggressively. My scars weren't pink -- they were beat red. And my skin felt very tough. I did what he told me -- only put some lotion on it. And I stayed home all day. Though I wasn't peeling or swollen, I didn't want to go out in the sun and I felt my scars looked awful. I didnt want anyone to see me.

Day 3. 2 out of the 5 areas done are still kind of pink -- not so bad. 3 of them are still extremely red. Especially the burn scar. It hurts to even touch it. I knew I'd have some pinkness, but I didn't think it would be this red! I still have some tiny dots on my face -- not so bad. Mineral makeup really helps cover some of the red, but I hope that fades soon. My scars do look a tad bit better, but it could still be some swelling. I know my face is going to peel in those red areas soon -- the skin feels so tough.

As of right now, I feel unbiased about this procedure. As far as bad side affects, I would say I haven't had any. I'm just more concerned about the redness. It might be a result of my extra fair skin. I am hoping that fades on its own. As of right now, I am listing my satisfaction as good because my doctor was so kind, spent so much time with me, and I haven't experienced any sort of damage. But it is also too early for results. In my mind, everything went better than expected, but I'm a little worried about the redness.

Hopefully, I will remember to keep this updated!

Five days ago, I received my third treatment with...

Five days ago, I received my third treatment with the lux1540. The second time when extremely smoothly. Though, I have not seen any immediate results. My doctor said it takes time, 6 months for each treatment to receive the full benefits, and since my recovery was pretty easy the second time around he said it would be best to go up with the laser. Unfortunately, I can't really remember what I was at and what he went to. I want to say we were at 10 and went up to 15? But I can't remember. I will have to ask next time. Anyways, this time, my recovery has definitely been alot more rough than before. It wasn't so much the redness, or the swelling, because I was prepared for that. What I was not prepared for was the acne that would surface from doing it at a higher setting. Day 5, and every morning when I wake up, I see a new pimple where my procedure was done. Normally, I'd use some type of product on it to make it go away, but I have been hesitant to because I'm not suppose to put stuff on my face to irritate it further. Also, my skin just hasn't been flaking off this time, it was been peeling. (You know, like when you get really bad sunburn.) Before, I could go to work with some makeup on the redness and you couldn't even tell I had some laser done. Now I have people asking me what happened to my face! Ugh, it's sorta embarrassing because I'm not really that open about it. If I would have know it was going to be worse this time around, I would have taken a few days off of work. But, I guess I know that for next time. It might be still early to tell, but I feel like my scars are definitely looking a little bit more plump than before. And no, my face is not swollen at all anymore. Not to drastic of a change, but enough that this time I actually noticed. I am supposed to go every 6 weeks, but my next appointment won't be for a good 10 weeks because of conflicts with my work schedule. I hope that doesn't affect the outcome at all. Anyways, just thought I'd give some updates with my procedures...

Very helpful and caring. Spent time considering my options, as well as spent time taking care of my concerns.

Hi wish you the best of luck. Please read my reviews and the posts made by a so called physicians assistant and you will never do another 1540 treatment again
Wow! What a great review. I wish I would have read this before my treatment. You are more informative than the nurse who did my procedure in regards to what to expect post treatment. I had the procedure done simply to shrink pores and stimulate collagen. I am 44 years old, and everyone says I have great skin, but I would like it to be tighter and smaller pores. I think I should have left well enough alone, because I look like a monster right now. I suspect that because I was tolerant of the laser (I have real thick skin), that the nurse maybe went too high for my first time. I am 3 days out. I had my entire face done, and it is still very red and blotchy. It looks like a very bad sunburn, but in blotches. One side of my face is worse looking than the other, as she went heavier on that side. I have been using moisterizer and Biafine Emulsion. It seems to help as I am not itchy. However, I am extremely broken out! I have not broken out like this since I was a teenager, and I am now 44. I rarely get a pimple now, but today I have pimples all over. I was told that the downtime would be 2 to 3 days. No way! I freaked out on day 2 worrying that this was permanent, and drove down to the laser center. I wouldn't even walk in the room, and had the nurse come out to me as I sat in the car. She assured me that this was normal and is called bronzing. She at this time said that it would maybe take up to 2 weeks for this to subside! I am so bummed out. I don't want to be holed up in my home that long. Putting makeup on it does not work. It only amplifies the waffling pattern and I look very wierd. It is obvious that something is wrong with my face. I also bought a package, and have 3 more treatments. Even if my face returns to normal, I don't think I can live threw this again. I too would like to hear about your final result, and how you healed after the latest most aggressive treatment. Thanks again for the informative review.
Thats exactly what I am using. But its still super itchy. I bought a Carmex healing cream and so far that has helped me alot! I broke out really bad. :( Is that normal, that you know of?
Make sure you are using products that say 'non-comedogenic' on your face, especially after laser resurfacing. They don't contain any dyes or anything like that can irritate the skin. So your breakouts could be from the Carmex cream -- I've never used it so I'm not sure if it is non-comedogenic or not. Or it just could be from the laser. The last time I had a treatment done I broke out really bad too. But that is normal. Laser resurfacing forces the bacterial out of your skin, thus causing breakouts. About 3-4 days after laser, I use Derma E Tea tree and E Antiseptic Creme. It's great because the tea tree oil is a strong anti-bacterial, while the vitamin e moisturizes your skin. I use it at night because it smells a bit funky. But don't worry, the breakouts should go away. I freaked out at first because I rarely get more than one pimple at a time, and after laser I had about 10. They went away, and I haven't had a breakout since. I've done alot of research on skin care products, laser resurfacing, etc., plus I've learned alot from my experiences with it all. So if you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer them. But I'm not a doctor! lol. I'm glad to share the knowledge I've gained.
Hi Babyblue,

Would you be able to provide your doctor? How are your final results?
Waffle print is called ghost dead skin and I still have it 3 years later. Do not do anymore treatments
The only thing that worked for me was aquaphor. I would just lather it on. I tried cortizone but my skin was too sensitive for that. You could try a little test, and if it doesn't burn or irritate your skin id say go for it.
The waffle print lasts maybe 3 to 4 days for me. Honestly, the first day you'll be swollen but it doesn't seem so bad. It helps alot to ice your face. Because your face is going to hurt really bad. Ice makes the stinging go away, plus it helps to make the swelling go down. The days following you will start to see the waffle imprint more and you'll be really red. On those days, my scars looked alot worse. With them being so red I think it makes them more noticeable. Everyone is different, so it's hard to say how long recovery will be for you. My doctor told me that a good recovery lasts at least a week. And remember, results are not immediate. It takes time for your collagen to rebuild itself. I have to say though, this third time I noticed some improvement in my scars after a few weeks and that was very satisfying. Very small improvement, but at least I know it is working somewhat. I was extremely nervous my first time too! I think it is important to stay low your first 3 days, and make sure you use a good moisterizer or whatever your doctor tells you. In all honestly, I am leary about getting it done by a technician. That is why I go to a facial plastic surgeon who does the laser himself. That is your choice though. Im sure everything will go fine. I remember being a nervous wreck the first time, especially with the recovery. But it really isn't too big of a deal. Good luck!
I just got home from doing my first session.. The pain was pretty bad but bearable. I am icing my face as we speak. I took two ibuprofen for the pain and swelling. They told me to put aquaphor which is a healing ointment. I am going to be a vampire for the next four days lol.. I am in college so I have school on Tuesday but hoepfully I wont look like a train wreck by then. I only had the procedure done on my cheeks and parts of my forehead. Thanks for making me feel better and giving me a little hope!! I hope its worth it in the end.
I'm glad that it wasn't too bad! How are you doing now that it has been a few days? Also, how many treatments are you getting altogether?
Its actually been ok.. She started me at the lowest level, so its just a bit red. They recommended I get about 3 to 4 treatments. I am just putting a healing ointment on it because it is very itchy and I dont want to scratch. Do you recommend anything for that? Its especially itchy around my jaw area.
There is no low level this machine is garbage and you can never restore your skin to where it was originally
Pain was tolerable permanent damage was not. This machine is garbage!
I have an appointment to get my first treatment done and I am extremely nervous..! The tech did some test spots on the day of my consultation to see how my skin reacted to the laser and its been good but my biggest worry is the "waffle" print that the laser left. How long did that last when you got it done? Is it really worth it!!? I am soooo nervous..
Hi hate tell you I am over 3 years out and it is still there
Britt,
Yes, the swelling has gone done all the way. My skin is still sorta pink in some areas, and it is also still peeling. I understand doctors give a general idea of 2-3 days for the pink, swelling, peeling, etc., to go down. But it's taking alot longer than that for me. When I go in for my second treatment, I am definitely going to mention that to him. He said I'd be able to cover it up with makeup, but I find makeup makes it look worse (it magnifies the little laser dots on my face!) Though, it's not getting worse. Everyday it gets a bit better. Actually, tonight I was going to switch to a different lotion and hope that helps.

My scars really don't look that different to me. But, I wasn't expecting fast results. I know results won't be final until 6 months.

We'll see how the next one goes on July 5th! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the added info. Hopefully in 6 months everything will work out. Please keep us updated of how things go on July 5th.

Thanks,

-Britt

Hi baby,

So, it's been 3 days since you posted your review, would you still call your procedure "good?" I'm going to assume the swelling has gone down. I hope everything continues to go well. Please let us know.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt