Optomistic - Dillsburg, PA

Well, I am 6 weeks into my Invisalign treatment...

Well, I am 6 weeks into my Invisalign treatment and I am optomistic and happy with the results so far! I am a 43 year old nurse and I had braces as a kid, but they came off in 6th grade. I think my teeth started to shift around the time I had my wisdom teeth out at 21. I have been very self-conscious about my teeth for many years and the over-bite and gaps in my front teeth are the first things I see in every picture of myself. I like to smile alot and am so happy that I can now begin to smile without thinking that my buck teeth are looking silly!:)

It has been quite an adjustment for me. The first few days were pretty awful until my mouth got used to having something foreign in there. I'm always a little sore the first few days of new trays, but it goes away quickly. I do get thirsty, it seems, and drinking even cool water with the trays in isn't totally satisfying, because they shift a bit and feel weird. Taking them out to eat is annoying but a small price to pay, I think, for a smile that I can feel good about! It does shorten my lunch break because I am fanatical about brushing before I put the trays back in!! I can't say that I've lost any weight, so I can only assume that I didn't do that much snacking before...bummer that part!:)

I just got my 4th set of trays, along with 6 of the attachments~4 on top, 2 on bottom, none right in front, thankfully. I had a devil of a time getting the trays out to eat dinner and was sure I'd break the trays or pull one of the "buttons" off, but I managed and they are back in now. Boy, they do not come out easily!!! It feels like the one side on top doesn't seat very well, despite the "chewies" my dentist gave me, but maybe it'll get better over time. Eating with the buttons on was a strange adventure, too! Today, I also had some "shaving" of just two teeth on the bottom. I was really worried about that part, but it wasn't awful. I still don't understand how that doesn't mess up the enamel between those two teeth.

I have had a lot of anxiety around getting Invisalign mostly because I've had a root canal on one of my top front teeth and I was afraid it would fall out or some such terrifying thought! So far, so good, though, despite a dream I had where one did fall out!:)

Anyway, I must say that I'm happy and psyched that things are alreay improving! I've worn them religiously and it's paying off. I recently saw a photo of myself and it was pretty close up...my teeth look GREAT (even after just these few weeks) in the photo which makes me ecstatically happy!!!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments (though some scare me a bit)...it's nice to have a place to learn more about people's experiences and see that I'm not alone.

I'll keep you posted!:)

Dillsburg Dental Care

So, I just put in my #8 trays (of 15 total) and I guess that means I'm half way through my treatment!! I'm still very happy with how things are going and it only makes it better when my friends look at me (especially if I haven't seen them in a while) and say, "Oh my gosh, you're teeth look great!!!" This has happened several times in the last few weeks and it just thrills me so much!!!!:)
speaking of a root canal - can i have it done while having invisalign treatment? one of my front teeth is discolored and they said i need it done in order to fix the color.

Hi Toronto,

That's a good question. I posted in in our Dr. Q&A. Hope it helps. Let us know if you go through with it and how it goes.

Thanks,

-Britt

One of my front teeth is also discolored. It's the one that I had the root canal on. My dentist said he could do some type of "internal bleaching" process which sounded alot like a root canal to me but where he inserts something to bleach the area inside. He said I would have to have it done before treatment or after (before I get my permanent retainers). I opted for after as I am very nervous about that tooth's integrity and I don't want it to break off! But now since I look at my teeth 500 times a day, I see the discoloration and it bothers me more than ever!!!:/
Thanks!:)
I'm not exactly sure how many more trays, but when they showed me my clin check a few weeks ago, I think they mentioned something like 15 trays or around 6 months. I keep forgetting to ask, but I think at that point, I would be getting retainers to wear full time, because it looked like my teeth would be straight by then. My treatment isn't terribly complicated, just an overbite and some space on the top and a little crowding on the bottom.
The pain has been minimal, except for the first week or so, when I ate mostly pudding and yogurt:) They've been a little more sore this week since I got the attachments, maybe because things are tighter? I still don't totally understand the reason for the attachments. But it all seems to be working. It's getting a little easier to get the trays out. But overall, the pain has been tolerable!
Pics to follow!!!:)

Thanks Susie,

That's great additional info. I always wondered what the attachments were for too, maybe to keep the trays in? Yes we would love to see pictures. Have a good weekend.

Hi Susie,

Welcome to the Invisalign community! I'm glad you are finding help in feeling more comfortable about smiling. :) You said you are on tray 4, how many more do you have to go? Have you had any pain so far, other community members have mentioned some pain in the beginning? We would love to see pictures when you are comfortable. Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,