Restylane Injections Under Eyes Made my Overall Appearance Worse! - Fayetteville, GA

Pros: - Under eye circle was(slightly) lightened...

Pros:
- Under eye circle was(slightly) lightened under my left eye. If my doctor had proceeded like I had wished him to, both eyes probably would have lightened.
-Hollowed area under left eye looked fuller. Again, if my doctor had proceeded like I had wanted him to, the areas under both eyes would have looked fuller.
- Injections in the nasolabial folds (I got this as well for both sides of the face) looked okay at the beginning although the left side of the face seemed fuller than the right.
- There was pain at the beginning for me, but that went away quickly.
- There was some swelling but that went away as well within the week.

Cons:
- I did not receive what I specifically asked for.
- I gave my money and my money was taken, but the doctor decided to do what he wanted to do with my face. I don't appreciate that.
- The injections seem to make things worse.

It's been three weeks since I've had the injections done and I must say that I was not pleased with the overall results.

I did my research on Restylane for over a year because before and during this entire time, poor eating, stress, and other factors did quite a number on my face. I wound up with dark circles, clear and apparent tear troughs, literal circles around my eyes where you could see the hollowed out portions of my face, and a line on the left side of my face that looked as if it were a scar. Plenty of complete and total strangers who did not even know me made it known that I did not have an appealing appearance. These people boldly resorted to calling me "old" and "ugly", saying loudly that "it's fixable" and giving me dirty looks despite the fact that I am only 27 years of age.

To date I have spoken with two dermatologists, one aesthetician, one skin & hair specialist, three doctors who specialize in dermal fillers, and one PA who also is qualified to administer fillers with interesting results. I have already made plans to speak with another doctor in two weeks to discuss what more can be done.

The dermatologists, aesthetician, PA, and two of the three doctors said nothing was wrong with my face and recommended expensive make up, hydroquinone, acne prescpriptions, teamine, and other products for other things other than what I was interested in solving. One even suggested that I go and see a therapist for poor body image issues!

The one doctor who saw exactly what I was talking about was ironically was the one person I should have ran far away from. I told him my problem and he asked me if I was also interested in fillers for the rest of my face, namely my nasolabial folds. I should have known something was up, but I went along with the whole procedure because both my nasolabial folds, under eye cirlces, and tear troughs were bothering me.

He started with the first eye, and despite saying that he prefers to inject a little at a time, he put more than "a little" there. And then, instead of continuing to the next eye, he went straight for my nasolabial fold on my left side and filled that up. He then went over to my right eye, put LESS than he did under the right eye and finally ended with the right side of my face and put a little restylane there. There was half a syringe left so he used a total of one and a half syringes.

I was sent home and ultimately led to believe that everything was "okay" but would look better in the morning or even a week later. After a week, my tear troughs were more pronounced and there were dark areas there, which are difficult to cover with make up and glasses (which I hid behind BEFORE the procedure). I went for my followup and told him about it. I wanted the other eye to at least match the left eye. He instead told me that we should work on the right nasolabial fold and finish up with the right eye last. I said okay and he then preceeded to use all of the rest of my restylane that I paid good money for on my nasolabial fold. I was sent home again and told to come in a week later. I complained again and wanted to know what he was going to do about it. He said that everything looked fine the way it was and that make up could cover everything else. He said that I spent a lot of money (no kidding, buddy) and that I could schedule an appointment for a free chemical peel if I wanted it. I knew that I wasn't going to get anywhere else with him, smiled, and then left, knowing that I would never step into his office again.

Now I am stuck with a face that looks worse than what I started with. I'm scared to get the restylane stuff taken out and if I go with this other doctor I plan to see in the future, I worry about what will happen if he says I look fine or if he screws up and makes things even worse than before. I almost wish I had never heard of dermal fillers. It's too much!

Thank you for reading this. I know it was like an essay, but I simply had to put this here and let others know.

I had the injection also done under my eyes by a nurse practitioner and she told me one shot would be enough for both eyes but I did not see any difference even though i had bruises the next few days so I called the spa and complained and they scheduled me another appointment and I had to go in and pay more and the physician came in and told me I needed two more shots one for each eye, I told him that the first nurse did not tell me I needed so many shots other wise i would not have done it, now financially I paid so much money is this a trick to have people come in so you can work your way up to sell them more and more injections I was really mad, i am wondering if there is a way that anyone or organization is controlling these doctors or nurses who are not doing a proper job of doing these injections.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. I can definitely feel your pain. It's so funny how one expert will tell you you only need one syringe or half a syringe while another "expert" will suggest two whole syringes. No matter what, they will still be getting your money while you end up with long lasting bruises and/or some sort of disfigurement. Believe it or not, I'm still searching for a doctor to help me with own situation. Several doctors and a hyaluronidase injection later and I'm still not seeing any difference. It seems though anyone with doctor or nurse in their job title can do these injections so it's difficult to control.
Same thing happened to me and I love my dr. I just wonder if everybodys skin reacts differently? But, I have had anxiety ever since. I never had bags under my eyes before. I am 9 months into it. It is slowly changing, but absolutely does not look ok. I look tired when I am not! I got a second opinion and this other md said it takes 3 years for restalyne to dissolve under the eyes. :( I feel horrible too. We all need to support one another through this.

*Update: removed pictures from review because I...

*Update: removed pictures from review because I feel as if they have been up for people to view long enough.

As of 2010.12.26 I still have not found a viable solution. My face is still lumpy and uneven, even after multiple attempts to dissolve the filler. The bruising under my eyes is still present. I fear I may be like this for the rest of my life. Let my mistake be a warning to the rest of you considering this procedure.

I wish I'd never had these injections under my eyes. I am 47 and am going through so much personal stress lately that I decided I needed "some freshening up." I went and had botox (which looks great) and Restalyne (hate it) in the tear troughs. The swelling under my right eye never goes down. It is actually so swollen that I can see the lump while looking straight. I had this done 2 months ago and it still looks the same. I went back to the doctor and he said, "some people are just not good candidates for restalyne injections." I've tried everything to get the swelling down, like ice, OTC puffy eye creams, sleeping elevated, even Preparation H. I look worse than I did before I had the injections. I pray that this stuff will dissolve. The doctor that did the injections said he could inject something else in my face to dissolve the restalyne. Not sure if I want to do that, but I hate my face now. I hate how old I look.
@CC899 According to one of the doctors that I had a consultation with, you should never receive injections under the eyes at all anyway. I suppose the doctor that you went to was after your money and couldn't be concerned about your overall appearance or your health at all. Yes, the doctor can inject a substance to dissolve the restylane/juvederm under your eyes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's called Hyaluronidase and it did absolutely nothing for me.
It sounds almost like when you go the dentist, and they 'stumble' upon wisdom teeth that have never given you any problems and suddenly you need a very expensive extraction in the very near future. Or when you go to a mechanic for a tune up and suddenly you need a new transmission or something else that didn't really seem to be wrong with the car. The guy told you it would cost $850 and then proceeded to inject more into the first eye than was needed, and not nearly enough into the second eye. It just sounds as though he wanted to squeeze an extra $500 out of you. Like every other 'business' in this day and age. I mean, you would think that surgeons and doctors were above this kind of thing. But it seems to me that the more someone makes per hour the more evil they can really be. I could be wrong; I sincerely hope that I am wrong. But...
Skin Care at 5th Ave. Atlanta-Peachtree City

What kind of doctor chooses to do something completely different from what a patient asks of him/her? Terrible customer/patient service.