Waiting to See -Park Ridge, IL

I read several reviews on different sites about...

I read several reviews on different sites about this procedure. I am a senior and had AK on my face for years. I have had all kinds of treatment. My skin is very light and sun sensitive. (Irish Skin) The reviews I read were mixed and I just was not sure if I should proceed with this method. I made up my mind and went for the treatment. The procedure went like this. I washed my face, then they rubbed a cleaner Acetone (nail polish remover) on my skin. That burned a little on the AK spots. Then they coated my face with the medication. I then killed 45 min. waiting for it to soak in. I placed my face in a "U" shaped device similar to a tanning device. Put goggles on my eyes and they started the machine for 17 min. They also put a small table fan that was running on my lap. They told me I could blow the air on my face. Here are a couple of "heads up" comments. The first 7 or so minutes of the procedure were the worst. The discomfort does not get any worse after that. The hand fan is also a big key. Use that think, get it up inside of the machine with you. It took a few minutes in the beginning to learn this. In hind sight those first 7 minutes might have been better if I used the fan better. It would seem to me that this expensive machine would incorporate a fan system in it to relieve the discomfort instead of a store brought table fan. Just after the procedure they put a sunblock and a soothing lotion on your face and send you home. (Bring a wide brim hat and sunglasses with you unless you are good with the hat they will give you. I have to say that the discomfort after the procedure was not that bad. Your face will warn you by tingling or burning when you are getting too much light. I am now at the 24 Hr. mark and have modest red skin with no swelling so far. I took some over the counter PM med and slept pretty well. The jury is still out for the final outcome of this procedure. I will try to update later. All things considered, it was not as bad as I first thought. If you remember anything I said keep this in mind. USE THAT FAN! The first 7 OR SO MINUTES ARE THE WORST. Once you get over that it is all downhill. Good luck! I hope this helps. I don't know what it costs at this point. They told me "medicare would take care of it"
DERM inc

Doctor was actually not present for the procedure

It has now been 1 week since my Photodynamic Therapy. I will have to admit It wasn't as bad as I first thought. Days 3 & 4 were the worst for me. I had some swollen red spots which eventually dried up and fell off. I still have a few spots that are red, but they also are drying up and falling off. I find the recovery time is a lot quicker than other types of therapy I have used. All things considered, I will do it again if called for. I guess there is no way of telling if a repeat will be necessary.
Thanks for sharing. I have very sun damaged skin and have had the PDT multiple times over to last decade, if you have this again ask door the numbing cream! I had this done once w/o it and then switched doctors and the next time w the numbing cream makes all the difference in the world, they apply it right after the Levulan medication, then bring an iPad and watch a movie or something so you enjoy the time whilst waiting! Sorry to hear you endured pain while in the blu light unnecessarily! Cheers!

Thank you for sharing your review on this treatment.  Please stay in touch and let us know the final outcome.