44 Yrs Old

On August 3rd, I will be getting something done...

On August 3rd, I will be getting something done that I have been debating since my early twenties. The bane of my existence has always been my under-eye hollows (aka tear trough deformities or what I like to call them...my Crop Circles)

So, as I aged, they of course became worse and all the fillers in the world wouldn't rid me of them permanently. Fast forward to today. My cheeks are too low on my face, my eyes are hooded, complimented by a saggy bag of wrinkled skin beneath and a sunken area that gives me a corpse like appearance. I know Zombies are popular these days, but I don't want to look like one.

Forget turkey neck. Mine has taken on Pelican proportions. I do Zumba 4 nights a week, only weigh 137 pounds and I am 5 5" so it's not at all from weight. It's just how my face is built.

I am getting a mini-face lift, upper and lower blepharoplasty, and some fat transfers. This will cost somewhere around 32,000.00. The hospital and anesthesia alone costs 6 grand.

I will begin to post photos soon so stay tuned for the transformation!

The Check is in the Mail...

Too late to chicken out now. The check was delivered to hold my surgery date. Best part is this. As I was driving home, I am on the phone with my husband (hands free!) and I say, "Well, babe...the check is in the mail. Too late to turn back now." And just then a giant 4 X 4 truck passed and on the back lift gate, in giant white lettering it read, "What was I thinking?" Oh, that makes me feel better about getting elective surgery. LOL. Here's a lower face shot to see what I'm working with....

The date draws near...

Rule #1- stay away from the Internet. My GOD I keep reading horror stories of things going wrong. And of course, they can. I mean, we are getting our faces cut apart. But there are so many wonderful stories and photos as well. Everyone say a little prayer my surgery will go swimmingly!

Less than a week to go...

Well, it's almost here. My mini-face lift, upper lower bleph, laser and fat transfer.

The house is being readied. My husband is doing a great job cleaning every nook and cranny. He takes direction very well and wants me to heal fast. I expect he'll retain at least 80% of the "how to's" of cleaning. As long as I don't have cat hair in my stitches I'll be happy.

Tried to find button down pajamas today. No luck. I'll try again this week. And this time next week I will have been one day out of surgery. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious. Of course I am. I've never had surgery before (save the tonsillectomy when I was 8) And I worry about my already low blood pressure while in anesthesia.

I was cleared by my cardiologist, opthomologist and got a clean bill of health otherwise. So, I'm ready. I think. Please everyone- I know you don't know me but do say prayers. I feel so selfish asking for them. I mean, this IS elective. But nonetheless, if you can find the time, keep me in your good thoughts if only for a moment.

So here I go. Saturday August 3rd. I will post ALL the before's and afters, after. This way it will be in a nice constant stream.

And, while my hubby and I were at breakfast this morning- we were waited on by a very attractive 45 year old waitress. I'm 44. It dawned on me just how much older I looked than my age. She and I both exercise, eat right- don't smoke. And yet, I look 7, maybe 10 years older. Her skin is tan; tight as a drum under her neck and jaw line. Mine sags down, a bulbous pocket beneath my neck and I have the beginnings of marionette folds and jowls.

Her upper lids are open. Her eyes, bright. Underneath she has faint and I mean faint wrinkles. Mine are deep crevices. My bags are midway down my face- set just below a deep tear trough. They make me look as if I had been crying (or beaten) all night. The only thing that keeps my upper lids up are my lashes. My eyes are hooded.

Really, breakfast was just one big affirmation. She had the better anti-aging genes while mine were...well. Let's just say mine weren't top shelf. Not to say I'm unattractive. I am an attractive woman. I am just aging badly. And that's not really how I envisioned the way I would age. I thought it would be graceful. Instead, I figure if I did nothing, I may look decades older than I really am. And really, that's rather unfair.

So, I am NOT doing this to look younger but, just to look my age. A rested 44 year old. Not a crying stressed out an potentially beaten 54 year old.

Age has nothing to do with this. It's HOW I've aged.

You'll see =) Thanks everyone!!! WISH ME LUCK!

Almost...OMG!

It's almost here. Of course, my mother reveals to me that she'll probably pass out when she sees my face right out of surgery. My husband will pass out for sure. He did when I cut my finger on a cat food can lid. So this should be interesting. The two people charged to care for me will be out cold on the PS floor. Should either one drop, I'll snap a pic. Post it here.

I did have a picture of Spencer (my cat) printed up today so I can bring him into surgery with me.

=)

An Eye (Close Up)

Hooded upper lid, baggy bottom one. Sorry for the horror movie white out. You get the idea. Remember, I am 44 years old.

day two

The worst part of this is sleeping upright. Otherwise this is not too bad. I only took a half of a pain pill. Just to sleep. It looks worse than it feels for sure.

One Week after Facelift, Bleph, Fat Transfer and Laser

It is rather amazing that, considering the amount of cutting, excising, injecting, burning and repositioning, the human body is so incredibly adaptable. I have had ZERO pain. Zero. I have taken the total of 1 and a1/2 Vicodin taken over the course of the first 3 days (mashed into powder and put into chocolate pudding) just to adjust to sleeping in a chair. Because I cannot sleep upright apparently.

My face laser is not raw or red of seeping. My eyes are healing nicely. I am still pretty swollen in the cheek area (I was given 2 steroid pills to help with that) I have had virtually NO bruising. I am already to that pale yellow color in the neck. No black, no green or gray except for the incisions in the hairline. A hint of those colors.

I am unsure of how this will turn out- of course day 7, still swollen does concern me, however the results are hidden within it. My husband said it immediately took 10 years off. I can see that as well. And my PS laughed when he saw me the first time afterwards. "Oh my god," he said, eyes wide and grinning. "You look like a little girl." That was pretty funny. We will see. I have been taking tons of pics to post. I will do so as I near my transformation. Thanks everyone!

Another Post Op Shot

Be honest- look at this. How old is this face? What is your best guess?

Another Shot

The bottom of my face pre surgery.

Oh yeah.. This is a great shot....

A Picture is Worth 1,000 words. Or in this case, just one. YUK.

Here is another before photo. As you can see I look 150 thousand years old. Just so you know, I am not without fault for this. I never used sunscreen, I smoked until I hit 40, and I didn't know how to take care of my acne as a teen. The only plus side was I have always eaten extremely healthy. Even when I was a smoker. So....this was an expensive lesson. However, I don't believe the laxity of my skin was due to that. I still feel (and my PS feels) that was genetic. Take a gander...

Such a Lovely Photo os me...before

Another Horrific Before Picture...

44 years old. Rested.

Some Amazing After Pics

Here are some after pics. My midface is taking the brunt of the swelling (it looks as if I have Cher's cheekbones at the moment) So I wont post the swelling pics until after I start healing better. But...look.

10 Days Post Op

Some more post op pictures

Day 11...

Day 11- the swelling in my cheeks is finally starting to drop to the sides of my neck (now I look like an angry cobra) and a rather large bruise developed on the left side, but nothing unexpected. I see the PS tomorrow for another post op eval. Ladies- I have to say- at this point, I see such a dramatic difference over the old me and the new. While I am still swollen, I am hopeful the final results will be exquisite. Anything is an improvement over how I was aging.

My best friend of 36 years visited me today. When I showed her the pre-op pics, and asked her to honestly tell me the age I looked in those pics, she answered- "You look at least 10 years older than 44. Maybe 55 year old." I think she is correct. She also stressed I looked like a 55 year old who drinks a lot. Funny thing, I don't drink alcohol. Never have. And since I am a business professional, that was tough to hear.

So- I'm on my way to healing! Can't wait to post more soon!

Day 13- All's Well

Day 13 the swelling is dropping, which is good. The Aquaphor in my hair is stubborn. Proving to be harder to wash out because my hair is long and I was really slathered in it for having the laser done. The big bruise is still on my neck but it will go away. My PS sees me every week and photographs/monitors my progress. And I have yet to put make up on as my skin is still peeling a bit.

My mother admitted yesterday that I look 1,000 times better than before. She was so afraid (and loudly opposed) of me doing it. Now that sees seeing the result, she's happy for me. I'm happy for me, too! And I'm happy for any woman who is starting their Plastic Surgery Journey. It is one of the most important decisions of your life. Surgically altering the way you look shouldn't be taken lightly. But once you decide to, go for it.

I strongly suggest the following: Do NOT try to save money. Although spending more does not guarantee a great result, you are hedging your bets by using a more qualified surgeon. I could have done this for a fraction of the cost, but at what cost? It was my face. Not something that could be hidden if it got screwed up. My surgeon, while young, is TRIPLE board certified. That means something. And he has NO malpractice cases against him. Do you homework.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE EMBARKING ON THEIR ESTHETIC JOURNEYS. I WISH YOU THE BEST!

DAY 14!

Day 14- back to work tomorrow. Played with make-up application (as I still have swelling on cheeks and some minor eye discoloration) So far, so good! I will post more pics at the 1 month mark.

I Think It Was Worth It. 6 Weeks Post Op

I do believe at this stage in the healing process it was indeed worth it. My skin is tight and refreshed, my jawline is good, my eyes are healing fairly well save a small webbing on one. My forehead spasms occur less and less. I definitely look 12 years younger, for sure.

The overall results allowed me at 44 years old! to strut the runway as a model during the first ever Faces of Fashion Week in NYC. Something that on August 2nd I would have NEVER been able to do (unless we were having a faces of horror week, then I would have headlined=)

So far, I am happy.

Goodbye!

Hi everyone! I wanted to thank you all for the support. I am taking this account down for personal reasons but I will be back. Thanks again and best of luck!
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Our initial meeting- outstanding.

We will miss uwildk...thank you for sharing your story! I'm scheduled for January 17th for neck and bleph cannot wait and you have been an inspiration! All the best to you!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. So sad to see you go, but hope all is well on the personal front.

Well we hope you DO return! :-)) Thanks for all your info and sharing your journey with us! Kathy
Great result! I am getting a MACS lift, upper and lower bleph and fat transfer to cheeks as well as brow lift, I hope my results will be as dramatic as yours.
Thank for sharing. Am happy that you are happy with your results. Not everyone have a got outcome.
Your results are amazing!! Such a quick recovery!
U look grt. How about swelling noe,b
The swelling was bad day 3-5. And that was it. Again- no pain even swollen. He gave me steroids to calm it and it did.
Thank you so very much for posting.
Thank you for the detailed report. How did you go about choosing Kassir?
I just felt comfortable with him. I'd seen a few others but there wasn't a "click." To be honest, the eye bagginess has started to return- not nearly as bad as before, but as the swelling lessened, they began appearing again. But at the end of the day, I think he did a good job.
I might also mention that the very REASON I had the baggy eye things on my face was due to an inept Dr who injected that area with filler and damaged me so badly I needed the revision...
nice work, looks very good!, but you are aware right, that people in your neighborhood, friends, co workers etc, who may see this, will still recognize you fully? even with your eyes covered. I did this in my own pics once, until my doctor told me, people will still recognize you who you are, know you :)
I know. I just don't care. =) I planned on taking this down soon anyway but regardless, I still don't care. Those who know me know I've had it done=)
Excellent job! I hope my will look like your face but I doubt it
You'll be fabulous!
That is fabulous documentation and you look phenomenal.
You look fabulous! Congratulations!
I am having the same surgery in one week..Cost is 8k but without the fat transfer..Neck, face, upper and lower lids...The PS doing my work performed a tummy tuck on me in 2009 and I am super pleased with the results so I trust him..I am 52 and happen to look younger than most 52 years old..In face I am told often I look that if a 35 year old but I do see a turkey neck forming and sagging in my face..Upper lids are heavy making me look tired all the time...I am very anxious abd nervous...Hope I like my results..Hope I heal well..Just nervous,
Hope all went well, Baby Girl!
Wow!! You look amazing!!! Well done!!
Thanks!
thank you for sharing and you look great
you look AWESOME! I am basically in the same boat, same age, same problems, I am just being a chicken but am getting closer to doing something, thanks for all of your info and pix! :)
Don't be chicken! I was chicken too! It's all fine in the end!