Tummy Tuck, Muscle Repair and Liposuction - Paramus, NJ

Surgery is set for 8/2. My experience so far with...

Surgery is set for 8/2. My experience so far with Dr. Gartner has been a positive one. Staff is great and the Doc is great. Answered all my questions at the pre-op appointment. I was not rushed nor was I at anytime uncomfortable with my choice in PS. I had been researching for quite a bit of time and I'll do another review post surgery. As I sit now, I'm anxious for the 2nd but I feel completely safe with Dr. Gartner.

Pre-op Pics

Ladies: here are my pre-op pictures! Oh boy! Anyway, surgery tomorrow morning. Feeling anxious but ready.

Day of Surgery

Today I had my tummy tuck, muscle repair and lipo of the back, flanks and stomach. Got to the surgery center at 6:30. My IV was put in and I received a dose of anti-nausea meds via IV. Doc came in and marked me up and took pics and then we moved to OR. Oh yeah, I'm not pregnant! I jumped up on the table, they put my arms out and that's the last thing I remember. Woke up in recovery, I could tell right away I was sooooo much more flat! They removed 3.5 liters of fat. My throat was really dry, not too sore. Right now, no more dryness. Cleared up in a couple hours. I have a lot of leaking from the lipo area, bled down my leg when walking to the bathroom to pee at the center. I couldn't pee, so they let me go home and said if I didn't pee by 8 pm, I would have to go to the emergency room to have my bladder emptied. Well, no way no how, this girl wasn't leaving the house. Got home and peed right away! Leaked blood and fluid from lipo sight all over toilet and floor. Hubby took care of it! I'm draining about 50cc every couple hours. I only have 1 drain. Ok, the bed: I've got 5 pillows behind my head, a rolled up towel for lumbar support and three pillows from couch for my toes above my nose. I am laying on wee wee pads. Getting out of bed: at first I was relying heavily on my husband. I stopped that immediately realizing I need to be able to do this myself. I roll to the side, drop my legs and use the back of a chair to help me up. Not the most pleasant feeling but it works. Getting into the bed is harder than getting out. I sit first, put my legs on the chair and move them onto the bed with my arms. I literally am lifting up my legs with my arms. I find that being almost 75 to 85 degrees up is most comfortable for me and the pillows for my legs are almost pushed up against my cooch! The local they gave me in the muscles wore off at about 6 pm. Before taking my first Percocet, I had saltine crackers, water and a medical grade protein chicken soup that has 18 grams of protein. It tastes awesome! If anyone wants the info on that let me know. I'm only taking 1 Percocet at a time and supplementing with Arnica Montana 30x. The Arnica is taking the edge off what the Percocet isn't relieving. I would say my pain is about a 3 on a scale from 1-10. It really is discomfort more than anything else. I did cough earlier, I don't recommend it, lol. As the night is going on I'm getting tighter and tighter. Trying to stay about 45 degrees when I walk to bathroom. Also, when my bladder gets full, I feel more discomfort. Nothing that can't be handled! It's just achy. That's it for now ladies, I think I covered it all so far! Now to check on my TT Buddy PinkCathy!

PO Day 1

Today has been challenging in the position department. I'm getting very stiff in my bed so I've moved to a big couch chair in my living room. My lipo areas are bothering me more than the muscle repair. Peeing every two hours like clockwork. Also doing two laps around living room while I'm up to prevent clots. Taking the Percocet still and the Arnica Montana. I'm very swollen in the lipo areas. Been eating toast and chicken soup. Tomorrow, it's a MOM day.
That's it for now. Today was harder than yesterday.

Post op Day 2

Today, dare I say it, don't want to jinx it, I feel much better than yesterday. I was super swollen yesterday. Today is much better. I slept in my bed last night because I couldn't get comfortable in the large couch chair. Woke up like clockwork for those Percocet. But stretched out to five hours on second dose. Going to try and space them out now that I'm feeling better. They totally space me out. Sleeping a lot. Around the 3rd hour of a four hour block I feel so alert and awake and then I take another one and boom, back to sleep. I'm back to my regular diet albeit 1/2 of my regular diet. I'm not terrible hungry but eating every four hours or so. Positioning, my body still wants to sit straight up with my legs elevated in three pillows. I have added an extra pillow under my butt to kill the butt cramps which has worked very well. I've also added a pair of large underwear to my ensemble. For the first day or two I could careless, today, I wanted underwear. G2 is going down a lot easier today. My next trick is to poop. I have my MOM here next to me. Going to dose now.

PO Day 3

Back to the bed for sleep. So, I have figured out that I can do the chair all day but have to move to the bed for sleep. Drum roll please! I pooped. Ok, moving forward...I took a pain pill at 12 last night and slept through the night, well until 6am. For me the last two days, that's through the night. I was waking up like clockwork every four hours so it was nice to stay asleep. I also got out of bed unassisted and back into bed unassisted. VERY slowly but I did it.
My Husband went back to work today and my son will be taking care of me during the days. He's an EMT so I'm in good hands. Drained about 50cc between 11pm and 10:30 am. Just emptied JP. So today, more of the same. Rest and continue healing. It really does get better each day. There is no where to go but up. You ass is so kicked the Surgery day and the day after. Today feels 100% better than the past three days.

PO Day 5

This morning I got out of bed, took a little bit, real tight at first, off to pee and drain the JP. I'm draining at about 25cc per day now. I had some granola this morning with coconut milk. I started to drink some water a the water went down the wrong pipe. OMG! This was horrible! I coughed and coughed and I could feel my muscles burn. It was the strangest sensation. Burning and then I think my endorphins kicked in. After that I took 1/2 Percocet and my Arnica. Then, I started to sweat...so I decided to go to the bathroom. I guess all that coughing moved my bowls as well. Poop #2. This was good because I was going to take the MOM again. No need, my diet and fluid intake has been sufficient. I can't stress again how good my medical grade protein chicken soup is. 18 grams if protein in 1 cup and its about 20 bucks for 70 scoops. Check it out at Unjury.com. Started taking Tumeric today. So more of the same, sitting, drinking, recuperating. I'm going to try Advil tomorrow instead of pain meds and see if I can manage. If so, I'll just do Percocet at night.

PO Day 7

I feel pretty good. I'm off of the Percocet and taking 2 Tylenol every 8-12 hours. At that rate, I probably don't need it. Taking my Bromelain, Arnica, Tumeric, Vit C and B5. Sticking to a high protein diet, with whole grains, fruits and veggies. Gatorade and water. I'm walking a lot better but still stiff. Can't stand for an extended period of time. My button hurts. Sitting Indian style for a few minutes seems to stretch out that area. Also, in bed, if I sit Indian style and push down, it's easier to move my self back. Try it! Takes the pressure off the arms which are sore from lifting myself. Tomorrow is my first post op appointment. Hopefully my drain comes out. Everybody is in other rooms going their thing, I'm under the watchful eye of my female friend Nala!

Friday 8/9 - I week post pics

I've decided I'm going to post my progress pics every Friday. That way we can see from week to week the healing progress.

1 week pics

Two Week Pic

Still very swollen.

Necrosis Pic

1st day Week 4: 1 day post drainage of Seroma

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Hi you are looking great! Your incision is low and that will heal up nicely. I look forward to my TT sometime soon. God bless and heal fast!
How are you doing? Has the area of your necrosis healed up well? Your results look great from your pics, after all that fluid drained from your seroma. Hope everything is doing OK.
Hey girl! Sorry about the necrosis- :( hoping it heals super quick! You're looking great- flat tummy! Nice... :)
You look great! I go in 2 weeks!
Looking great, girl!!! Ya, I week PO and you're doing good. ((((Hugs))))
Thank you so much for your progress and so glad you are doing well!!!
Happy to hear you are doing better every day! ;)
Sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the laps!! Lol when I read you posts, I had visual of me doing the same!! Keep moving, it makes it easier. Are you using bromelain and turamic? They have helped me tremendously with swelling. My swelling us nothing compare to what it was for my surgery 7 months ago! (((Hugs)))) and thoughts as you heal my sweet friend! Did I suggest to put a soft tank or cami (inside out so the seams don't dig) on under your binder- OMG! it like a mini break from heaven! Seriously saved my sanity when I was I one! Ttyl :) D.
I'm too freaked out to take off. PS said 1 week then shower then 20 hours per day binder for 1 month. Do you think I should anyway? Sitting or standing and be real- are my guts gonna fall out lol...
Also, how should I take Bromeline? The meds I have to take are Percocet which I'm Doing every 4 hours, antibiotic 2x a day, my birth control. The Percs I have to take with food so I'm eating mini meals every four hours. Do I need to take the Bromeline with food? Will they make me nauseous?
They want you to wear it to keep your shape but mostly to help reduce the swelling. No if you take it off to shower nothing will fall out. It just feels tat way :) little info that may help- with a TT the abd muscles are not cut open ( like of you had a c/s or colon surgery). They are just sutured tighter together. So the muscles have alway been intact. The outer layers of skin ml have many many layers and each late is individually sutured closed. Then the outer layer is sometimes sutured- mine is glued and taped. So don't worry about opening it up. Would take a lot more than showering to break it open. I u freestanding the concerns though, if I wasn't a nurse I'd be the same way! I like how the compression feels so will wear mine almost always - also helps keep swelling down. less swelling= better, thinner scaring :)
The arnica (if you are taking it) will help with pain as well. But no icky side effect. The bromelian I take 1 capsule 3 times a day when I take my arnica. No food is necessary ( it's mild made from pineapple- no nausea) The Turmiac I take twice a day- I do take that with food as its a spice and the bottle recommends it with food, so i take it with morning and night meal. Girl, they did tell you that your antibiotic is going to cancel out the effectiveness of your birth control, right???? Make sure when you get to do the wild thing you use condoms/spermicide for 30 days after you start the antibiotic or until you go through 1 full month of BCP and start your period. Surprises = messed up TT :O
Thank you D! Lol...are you for real? Wild thing? I cannot imagine when I'll be ready for that! Ha! Anyway, next goal: to the poop side!
Just saying.. One day, after the poop side.. You'll be amazed! You'll start thinking, hmmmm.... I wonder... next thing you know, its on... Don't want to mess your sexy belly up :) back up contraceptive I'm telling ya ;) lol
I will definitely back up my BC. Promise.
D: if I want to space out my Percocet what can I take In between? Tylenol? Or just stick to bromelain and arnica and dose with Percocet maybe 6 hours out instead of 4? Thanks!
What exactly does the bottle say: ex.. Percocet 5/325 etc...
Oxycodone-acetaminophen 5-325
Whew, was worried.. he visions of in 10 months we'd go to view your TT review and see a nice round belly.... ;)
Keep taking the arnica and bromelain. I sent you a message. You can space the Percocet out tom6 hrs if you feel like it. But check your messages.
Good to hear you're doing fine. You're before pics look like me so I'm interested in more updates so I might know what to expect. Thanks for sharing. Love to hear ideas on how to maneuver around. Happy healing!
No problem! I've now moved to the chair and 1/2 in the living room. The bed is too hard now that the lipo areas are waking up and the bruising on my back. I find that rather that being in a V shape I really am most comfortable sitting up. It feels better on my muscle repair. The binder digs in less as well.
Good morning sunshine! Checking on you and hoping you rested well! I did the bed with about 8 pillows too, I hurt in a recliner. The bed has worked great for me too and the pillows can be adjusted for comfort. I rest so much better that way. Can't wait to hear from you! :)
Hey there D: thank you for checking on me. It's challenging getting in and out of bed. Still need help getting back in. The muscle repair and lipo sites are bothering me the most. I started taking my next Percocet about 45 minutes before the four hour mark, starting to realize that they wear off in about 3 1/2 hours. I'm only taking one at a time even though I could take two. Walking every 2 hours and moving my feet up and down while watching TV. I feel soooo tight. I have to go SLOW!!!!
That sounds great and normal for day 1. Drinking you Gatorade? Don't for get that. It will really help you. 4-5 20oz today. Set you clock and take your pain meds, don't go past. Especially the initial 24-48 hours. Then if you feel up to it, you can back off. The more you move the better and faster you'll feel- just don't over do. Tomorrow you will move faster , then the next day faster, promise! The tightness will lessen each day that passes. Today I rolled out of bed with out help from my rope- big mile stone! Yesterday I had to use it to help pull me up. Lol. You're doing great girl, You're only responsibility is to drink, rest, pee, take meds, eat, walk and repeat :) good to hear from you!!! Your in my thoughts!