Spironolactone - Fantastic Medication for Acne/Oily Skin - Panama City, FL

I have struggled with oily skin my entire life....

I have struggled with oily skin my entire life. When I was 27, I went through a traumatic, life-changing experience. The roller coaster emotions I was experiencing manifested themselves through an explosion of cystic acne that forever altered my formerly smooth skin. Although I had had acne here and there and some cysts throughout my teenage years, this onslaught just wouldn't STOP, and even after they were gone, the disfiguring scars remained. Every time I look in the mirror I remember what happened to me.

I went through all sorts of medications, homeopathic remedies, lasers, microderms, chemical peels, OTC and prescription washes, creams, potions, blue light treatments, etc. You name it, I probably did it. I saw all sorts of doctors...some kind, some not. I was at a loss and scared to do Accutane since I was already so depressed. A former dermatologist prescribed spironolactone, but since I didn't see an immediate improvement in my acne (I wanted it, and I wanted it NOW!), I stopped taking it.

I was denied the Fraxel Re:Pair that I really wanted for my scars because the doctor stated my acne was not under control. Although that left me angry, I believe it was the best thing she could have done. Several years later, through my ARNP, I met a fantastic dermatologist. In the past, I had to wait months to get in to see a derm. I got it quickly with this new doctor, he was attentive and personable, and he prescribed me 50 mg of spironolactone. I had been on it years before, but thought I'd give it another shot. Thank GOODNESS I did. I actually upped it to 100 mg myself. When I went back to my dr and told him, he went ahead and prescribed the 100 mg pill. Spironolactone is a godsend. For anyone who doesn't know, spiro is a blood pressure medication. I have no BP problems, but a side effect of this medication is decreased testosterone. The medication binds to the hormone and it is excreted. Although my blood tests have never shown I had increased testosterone, I learned that some women are extremely sensitive to it. Perhaps the hell I endured when I was 27 affected my hormone levels...?

The medication has drastically decreased my oil production and acne. Spiro also helps reduce the growth of body hair. Although I still gets stressed out, my blood pressure doesn't spike like it used to with the medication, and my anger/aggression has decreased, as well. I still have the occasional breakout when I get severely stressed or around that time of the month, but the cysts have disappeared and the breakouts I have are much more manageable.

I have to get my potassium levels checked periodically due to spiro, but I've never had an issue with my levels. Although everyone is different, I highly recommend anyone suffering from oily skin and acne to speak with their derm/general physician about it. Find a dosage that works for YOU, and stick with it. I saw an improvement in my mood, decreased oil production, and fewer breakouts within a few weeks.

I chose this provider through the advice of my ARNP.

Hello all, I'm new to Spiro today, so I hope it works well for me! I'm a 46 year old woman who has always dealt with cystic acne on my back, and in January it moved to my face. Fingers crossed!
I'm not sure if this will be seen since each posts have different dates on them...but I'll give it a shot. I started Spiro about 3 months ago. GREAT RESPONSE. I started getting compliments on my skin! Wow. Because I've had acne since 13 and now I'm 43. The overall look of my face was oily and bumpy. But after using spiro I looked like a porcelain doll- not kidding. HOWEVER. Recently my dermatologist upped my dosage from 100mg to 200mg. Even better, I was thinking. After 1 week of the 200mg dosage, I started to become extremely anxious and depressed. I couldn't figure out why. But after reading and reading about spiro side effects, I noticed it said that it can reduce the effects of your antidepressant. I take 2 different antidepressants. I CAN'T BEAR of the thought of cystic acne, bumpy skin and a greasy face returning. I don't know what to do! I hate feeling anxious and depressed, but after finally finding something that that works for my acne, I'm completely heartbroken to have to stop taking it. Has anyone taken spiro and an antidepressant at the same time...and experienced these awful side effects?
Did your derm up the dosage because he/she felt it was needed or at your request? I had no idea spiro can interfere with antidepressants. I'm not currently on an antidepressant but I know I have depression and anxiety issues...I wonder if spiro could make my SYMPTOMS worse??? Sometimes I up my dosage from 100 mg to 200 mg when I get particularly stressed out...trying to head off any potential acne flare up, you know? Back to your particular situation, though...do you think you might could lower your dosage (either to 150 mg or back to your original 100 mg) to see if you'd still get the same effects on your skin while at the same time not interfering with your antidepressant?
Hi! Just was prescribed aldactone today. I seriously hope it helps -- like all you I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun for my hormonal acne, and nothing has worked :/ but the thing is I'm not on birth control. Do you think aldactone will still work for me?
Doesn't hurt to give it a shot! :) Want to give us an update?
Anyone here experienced decreased sex drive with spiro? I hear yasmin has the effect if 25mg of spiro. Testosterone blockers in theory would decrease sex drive. I already have low sex drive.
I feel that my sex drive has decreased, but I'm not sure if it's due to the medicine or other factors.
Jabberwocky - I couldn't tell, it sounds like you stopped taking BCPs but are still on Spiro? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but a little nervous. How's that going for you?
Moriah.me, I apologize for how late this reply is. For some reason I'm not getting notifications...? Anyway, if you're still out there and listening, lol, yes, I stopped taking BCPs in June of last year, I believe. Still on spiro! Again, I apologize for being so late in my reply and would love to hear what's going on with your situation. :)
The increase in hair shedding is a normal, Temporary, side effect of spirinolactone (aldactone). As your hormones adjust the shedding will stop. I have been taking aldactone at 25mg daily for about 1 year, and my skin is now completely oil free, and I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of break outs that I get.
hey i need help.. i was taking Isotretinion for about 9-10 months under strict guidance.. bt came to know that the acne vulgaris i was facing was due to distured hormones! ever since then i have been taking spironolactone from about the last 6 months..! i wanted to ask whether it is safe to go for a laser mole removal treatment under such a treatment! please help!!
Hi, I have laser done quite often. I do the laser for skin tightening, which is probably different than mole removal. I would ask, but i'm sure your fine :) Is your acne better with the Spiro???
Hi Indu51327. Years ago, at one point in my agonizing journey, a former dermatologist suggested I try (read: strongly tried to convince me to take) isotretinoin. I signed all the paperwork to get started but was terrified of the possible mental side effects of being on it, so I never did. Please don't quote me on this (as I said, this was years ago), but from what I remember, a person who has taken isotretinoin should wait a certain length of time before having laser work done. I don't remember the length of time a person is supposed to wait before having laser work done. That being said, I would strongly encourage you to discuss this with the physician who prescribed the isotretinoin to you and/or another trusted physician who specializes in laser work. It's just my opinion, but I would think the type of laser used in the laser mole removal procedure you want done and any and all specifics of that particular procedure would determine the length of "down time" (if needed) that your skin and system would require as you were on isotretinoin. Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes!
ummm... hi..well..my acne definately showed a drastic improvement during the first course of the medicine.. bt i am afraid...as i'm still continuing the medicine and my acne are popping back again!
Indu, forgive me for my confusion...when you say you've seen "a drastic improvement during the first course of the medicine", are you referring to the spiro or the isotretinoin? Sorry, I wasn't sure exactly what you meant. I just went back and read your original post...are you currently taking either medication? If you're currently on spiro, what's the dosage? The derm who tried to get me on isotretinoin years ago prescribed me spiro...when I tried it and didn't receive that IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about...we all want that!), I stopped taking the medication. Fast forward several years later...when I asked another dermatologist about getting back on spiro and he agreed and prescribed it, I seem to recall him telling me I could see some breakouts as the spiro got back into my system. Depending on the length of time you've been on spiro, perhaps you're experiencing -- for lack of a better phrase -- a sort of "initial shock" to your system and that's causing breakouts...? However, if you've been on spiro for a length of time and you're suddenly breaking out when you haven't been, it could be a variety of things...the dosage may need to be upped, there could be life events influencing your acne (you could be stressed out and not realize it), it could be related to changes in diet, food allergies, health-related matters, or a number of other factors, you know? In your original post you stated that your acne was due to disturbed hormones. One piece of advice that helped me a lot with my acne...lower your dairy intake or cut it out altogether and see what happens. I noticed (quite my accident) that various dairy products make me break out. It's obvious to me that the hormones or actual chemical properties and composition of certain dairy products affected MY hormones and system...make me break out, regardless of the milk being organic or not.
can I take spironolactone and doxycycline at the same time meaning the same time during the day?
When I was taking both spiro and doxy, I believe I took my doxy at night and spiro in the morning, but I don't see why you couldn't take both at the same time. That being said, I know I had to have a little something on my stomach when taking doxy or I felt a bit sick. Taking spiro didn't bother me, regardless if I took it on a full or empty stomach.
I have been on spiro for about 5 years! It is the ONLY thing that has worked! 50mg a day( before bed) 100mg a few days before my cycle. ( Plus i use a zinc bar, feels so good)I have tried it all as well. Low dose accurate 2x in my life....horrible, but it did clear for a year or so after. It was not worth it! I am 47 and think I will have to take it forever, but that's fine with me. People do not understand the psychological effects of cystic acne. You just want to hide. Congrats to all of you who have found this medication, now go out and smile!!!
So happy you've found that spiro works for you, Peak! I didn't know you could up your dosage around the time of your cycle. Do you feel it makes a difference in mood, or just the oiliness of your skin, etc.? As I've mentioned here...I've slacked off taking it but need to start back again. Not sure if I have any more prescriptions at the pharmacy...I need to check! If not, maybe I can call and get a prescription without going in to see anyone. Cross your fingers for me! I've never used a zinc bar before. Please tell me more about that!!! And I absolutely agree with you...people DO NOT understand how cystic acne affects one's self-esteem and psyche.
HI! Did you get back on it? I hope so! I take mine before bed, so I don't notice a difference in mood or anything. I just notice I don't break out as bad before my cycle starts. The Zinc bar is from Noble. I get it from amazon. It kind of feels like an oatmeal bar, bumpy, but I love the way my skin feels! I also take a zinc vitamin. Gotta use an arsenal to keep the acne away!!!
I did get back on spiro! Thank goodness for a compassionate ARNP who called in a prescription (with three refills, woo hoo!) without me having to go in for an office visit! (At least for this time, right? Lol) Since I hadn't been taking spiro regularly at the time I last replied to you and as I was going through some stressful personal issues, I temporarily bumped up my dosage when I got my prescription filled. I bumped it up to 200 mg instead of my usual 100 mg. I'll cautiously say that I think the anger and aggressiveness I've experienced due to the stress I've faced has lessened and I haven't had any breakouts due to cycle-related hormone fluctuations (THANK GOODNESS). Since I admitted that and put it out there in the universe, let's knock on wood together, shall we??? Thank you for the information on the zinc bar. I will have to look that up! Some questions for you... :) Do you take potassium tests while on spiro? My derm said it was time for me to have another potassium test for him to provide me with additional spiro refills, but I didn't go...hence me getting this prescription from my ARNP...(horrible of me, yes, I know). Have you always upped your spiro dosage before your cycle? Do you take the zinc vitamin every day? Do you up that dosage around the time of your cycle or does it stay constant? I look forward to your reply! :)
Hey Gals, I just wanted to say thanks so much for all of these wonderful posts! I was just diagnosed with Polysystic Ovarian Syndrome and placed on birth control and spironolactone. I really had no idea all of the problems PCOS had actually caused until I started to read this thread, and I am so glad to know there are other people out there facing the same thing that I am facing! Now for some ?s about spironolactone. I have been on it for a week now and since I started taking the pill I have been nauseous everyday and I can't seem to make it go away, I have also had persistent headaches and occasional lightheadedness, what can be done to curb these side effects and still enjoy the primary effects of the pill? Also I have noticed that my dosage seems to be much higher then the rest of yours. I am taking 3 50mg pills twice daily, which is 300mg, does that seem a tad bit excessive? Thank you again for these helpful posts, and I look forward to hearing back! Addie

Speaking only from my own personal experience, the pill would make me nauseous too. My doctor switched me around to a few different ones until we found one I could tolerate. I'm currently on ortho tri cyclen, or some generic form of it and that seems to work well for me, but unfortunately you might have to go through some of your own trials to figure out what agrees with your system the most.

As for the Sprironolactone, I started out at 100mg a day and couldn't tolerate it. I had little heart palpitations, light headedness, etc, so cut back to 50mg. My body still didn't like that. :-/ I know I could not do 300mg, but perhaps for someone with higher blood pressure (mine is always on the low side) it would be tolerable. It did clear my skin, so that side effect was lovely.

I decided to come off the birth control. I've been off of it a month now. Super nervous, but curious to know how my body will be when it "gets back to normal."
I definitely agree with everything Megan P. said. I decided to come off birth control and have been off of it since the beginning of July. Like I just told her, I'm super nervous as to getting my body back to normal, whatever "normal" might be. ;) Another reason I'm nervous is due to that one ovarian cyst I had...always worried I may have another. I was on Ortho-Lo, but I know that when I tried different types they all affected me differently. I think 300 mg of spiro is quite excessive. I would definitely speak with your doctor ASAP and let him/her know what symptoms you are experiencing. I haven't been taking it as regularly as I used to, and I know I need to be more faithful about taking it again. :)