LASIK Cornea Nerve Damage - Palo Alto, CA

I had LASIK (Wavefront) 8 years ago because my...

I had LASIK (Wavefront) 8 years ago because my contacts dried my eyes out. Well fast forward to today, I woke up with cornea erosions all over my eyes. I was producing zero tears.

Dry eye is a common side effect of LASIK that is sometimes permanent. What doctors won't tell you is how painful "dry eye" can be. It feels like acid, hot oil, or sand thrown in your eyes (see dryeyezone.com for LASIK horror stories and how painful dry eye can be). I now have punctual plugs in my tear ducts and use eye drops made from my own blood. Dry eye is serious. Dry eye hurts. What doctors don't tell you is that when they create the LASIK flap, they cut your cornea nerves. And that the nerves (which tell your glands and ducts to secrete tears) do not all grow back in length and density. See the Dr. Morris Waxler petition for more info. He was on the FDA panel to approve LASIK and is now trying to get it recalled. Read the petition to learn how your eyes will be permanently damaged. Not worth the risk. You have only one pair of eyes and that's it. Don't mess with your vision.

And if you already have had LASIK, read the petition to learn where your eyes are headed as you age. SCARY.

Dr. Edward Manche

I had pain (nerve damage) in my right eye after the surgery. I saw the doctor a few times about this pain and he dismissed it. I learned to live with it. I don't feel I was given informed consent. I was contact lens intolerant BEFORE the surgery (that's why I got LASIK), which means I was prone to dry eye and therefore not a good candidate for LASIK.

I had lasik 4 years ago and had some mild dry eye symptoms when I was tired or working at the computer until I took some tablets that caused dry eyes. It is like having shampoo in your eyes permanently it is so painful. I tried to take my own life as a result.

Welcome to RealSelf!    Thank you for sharing your honest review with us.  I am sorry you have the problems now.  Very frustrating!