From the Beginning - Palm Desert, CA

Everything has been very smooth from the initial...

Everything has been very smooth from the initial visit, impressions, viewing my video, and getting my first trays. The second set of trays was also very smooth. I had a few questions after the first trays that my dentist answered to my satisfaction. I had looked for answers on the invisalign site and when some of the answers confused me, Dr. Tom cleared everything up.

From The Beginning

I am just finishing up the second set of trays. Again, everything has been good. The hardest part for me is dealing with the routine of cleaning the trays and brushing my teeth when I am either eating out or traveling. I have become pretty proficient in teeth cleaning in my car, as I HATE using a public bathroom to brush my teeth!

My second set of trays kind of twisted in the back when I put them on, but I figured out a technique that kept them from twisting. I would have gone back to the dentist, but I was traveling, so I knew I had to get them in correctly; it just took a bit of time.

The positive part is I have lost about one pound a week, as I can no longer graze. Along with the weight loss, I have kicked the diet coke habit also. Not bad for almost 64 to be able to make these changes!!!!!

Going Back to Day 1

Guess I should probably tell everyone what day 1 was like for me. Not only did I get 10 (maybe 11) attachments.....I have a very small double one on one tooth if that is possible, but I also had what I think is called IPA where they shave down the teeth to allow movement. So after all of that, the dentist popped the first set of trays in. I loved his sense of humor when he said his rule was everyone must take each tray out three times before they could leave the office. Actually, I think it was a great rule. It was a lot easier to pop the trays out in the office than at home the first time....but as anyone with can tell you, once you develop a system, it isn't too difficult to get the trays out. Practice does help....don't know if anyone is perfect at this! We just all cope!!!!!!

And yes, that attachment drove me nuts for about 4 days. The positive things about that is that I can't stand to have the trays out because of the attachments, so getting my 22 hours a day in not a problem. I think I am most likely wearing the trays 23 or more hours a day.

I will have trays for 9-10 months, so with set #3, I figure I have 8-9 left months if all goes according to plan.

My teeth have been sensitive and a bit sore, but only when I try to eat. So, I am slowing down and chewing carefully, as I can feel that my back teeth have already shifted.

So many positive things have happened since the first trays went end, especially breaking a 40-50 year old habit of drinking diet soda. I also look for very nutritional foods, instead of reaching for those sweet treats. So not only will I have a nice set of teeth, but I should be healthier!!!!!!!

As Dr. Tom told me, I am taking some wonderful steps for a healthier second half of my life....I wonder if he really thinks I will live to be over 120!!!!!

Set #3

This set was very uneventful. They weren't even as tight as the 2nd try. I did have to have the dentist shave one spot that pinched my upper gums, but other than that..... no problem. I can look at my first set of trays and compare them to the 3rd set and see a difference in movement with the back teeth. I also notice more space between my upper front teeth, which I assume will close up in later trays.

I will try and post pictures soon.

Set #4

Again, this set of trays has been uneventful. I can feel that my back teeth are starting to line up much better. So far this process has been very smooth and uneventful. I hope things stay this way. I do find eating meat is a bit of a challenge, unless it is soft as the back teeth are often sensitive and a bit sore.

I think my biggest issue is that I keep breaking the fingernail of the finger I use to remove the trays. I have learned how to use another finger, so all is well.

When I had braces as a teenager, I had much more pain than I experience now. The most positive part of this invisalign experience is that I have lost 8 pounds to date!

My Photo

The over crowding, especially on the bottom, shows well. As does how my molars have moved so my bite is way off. One side has already been corrected, now for the other side!!!!!

Set # 5

Once again, a very uneventful set of trays. I had a bit of sensitivity, but noticed other people used sensitive toothpaste and that seemed to take care of the problems quickly. This site so helpful when you have questions and issued. Especially when it is going to be two weeks before one sees the dentist. Actually four weeks this time, because my dentist's office is updating its computer system when it is time for my next appointment. He gave me the next set of trays to put in, which I was happy about. I don't think I would want to wear a set much more than two weeks.

It was fun looking at my first set of trays and comparing them to tray 5, what a difference. I can tell from the pressure on my lower bottom teeth that they are going to start to move....YEAH!!!

Tray 6

Once again, another uneventful tray. I am noticing that my teeth are so much easier to floss. I have a teeth cleaning appointment next week and it was will interesting to see whether the better oral care makes for a shorter cleaning!

It seemed a bit strange to have the trays myself this time instead of going to the dentist for the trays. I like the fact the dentist checks everything each time. From reviewing this forum, I guess many people get a few set of trays and do it themselves!

The most positive aspect, is the invisalign diet is working. I am now down 10 pounds without trying to loose weight! But I certainly think about what and when I am eating a lot more now than ever before.

Tray 7

Just like the other trays, this one has been smooth sailing. I did get my teeth cleaned right before Tray 7 went in. Because of the better oral health, I had a lot less scraping (tartar) ! I did have one brown spot next to an attachment but that was easily buffed off. I am hoping that in the next few trays that the crowding in the bottom teeth will start to move. The top looks pretty good, not perfect, but better. 7 down 13 to go! Looking forward to the half way point!!!!!

Tray 8

Finally! Starting to see some improvement in the crowding on the bottom! With this tray I have experienced some tenderness/soreness in my upper molars. Not much but enough to know something is moving up there! Guess this is when people start getting excited. I know I am!!!!!

My top front teeth are now hitting my bottom front teeth, so eating is slower as I can't stand to hit my teeth when eating! All very normal according to Dr. Tom. My top front look pretty good and when I compare tray 8 to tray 1, I can really see a difference. I always thought it was just my bottom teeth that were in need of straightening. Guess the trays don't lie do they?

Try 9

Wow! Almost half way done!!!! I am so thankful my dentist checks each tray with me. This tray had a weird point on the top tray. He was able to buff the point off. After he buffed the point off he said he should have taken a picture of the bump to send to invisalign. Because I usually see my dentist every two weeks, when I read that others are given multiple sets of trays, it makes me really appreciate the fact that my dentist checks everything out so carefully.

I continue to see improvement in the bottom teeth which makes me excited! Things have gone so smoothly for me so far.

I was given tray 10, which is my halfway point as I won't be able to get into the dentist in two weeks.

Tray 10 and a cool little device

Yippee.....tray 10, if all goes well I am half finished!!!!!!! Or is half full!!!!! This set of trays actually felt loose when I put them in. Tray 9 still felt a bit tight the entire two weeks, so it felt weird that the trays went in so easily. Usually I have trouble getting the bottom trays in the first 3 days and this set has just popped right in.

Also, I use an electric toothbrush. And I carry a manual toothbrush for those times I am away from home. Recently I found an amazing small Sonic electric travel toothbrush, at the container store. It was about $15.00. The best thing about the toothbrush, is it is small enough to clean the trays! My trays have never looked so good. no more ichy plaque/gunk build up Most of the time I just use water or mouthwash on my trays. And with this smaller toothbrush, it fits easily inside the trays.

Niffy Little Toothbrush

Here is a picture of my regular electric toothbrush and my new little Sonic travel brush. The brand is call Sonic Slim and runs around $15.00. I checked the internet and one can purchase them in a number of places.

Half Way Photo

I go in for tray 11 tomorrow but thought I would update on the half way point. All continues to go smoothly. I am eager for even more movement on the bottom teeth. Flossing is so much easier so I know there is movement!

Everything New Again

Guess I got my first surprise, as when I went to get tray 11 yesterday, instead I got molds and impressions taken. Looks like my dentist wants to make sure everything is on target. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't given tray 11, but was told my case has two different sets, instead of one set of 20 trays.

Wow...what a difference when I saw the molds. Even though I didn't think the bottom teeth had moved that much, it was shocking to see how they actually looked compared to the first set of molds. I also do better with regular impressions than the kind of clay molds.

The good news is that I will probably only have one or two more trays on the top. It will be interesting too see how many trays I will have on the bottom. The dentist is guessing 9 or 10. Just wish I didn't have to wait about 10 days to get the new trays! I am so excited to get through the process!!!! He might have told me that impressions would be taken at the half way point, but if he did, I obviously wasn't listening. He did tell me there might be a bit more IPR. It sure feels strange to be in these trays longer than normal!!!!!

Tray 11 Finally

After 5 long weeks in tray 10, I finally got tray 11. Sure makes one appreciate new trays every two weeks. Again, not much pressure and a minimumaal amount of soreness on two molars. I am so excited to see progress with the over crowding on the bottom. As I only saw the dental assistant this time (my new trays came in on a day when the dentist was not in the office), I still don't know if I will need additional IRP for the second set of trays. I will ask to take pictures of the molds when I go in for my next appointment, as when I saw those I was amazed at the changes!!!!

Tray 12

Much to my surprise and pleasure I am finished with the top trays. Guess I will wear tray 11 on the top until I finish my treatment. I am not thrilled to have to wear the same tray for another 4 months, but will cope. The dental assistant told me that she would put them in the sonic cleaner at each visit if I wanted help keeping the top tray clean. I will look at that option the next time I go in for a new set of trays. Guess there is a strong advantage to going in every two weeks to get new trays!!!!!

Tray 12 on the bottom has another one of those weird curves that makes it difficult to get in and down on the back. Usually the issue is on the right side and this time the issue is with the left side. Hopefully that means the molars will start moving in!!!!!

Again, another uneventful set of trays.

Tray 13

After battling with the 12th bottom tray for two weeks, it was wonderful to just pop the new tray in and have no issues. This tray is extremely tight and my back teeth are a bit sore....but the end is near and I don't mind a bit of pain.

Talked to my dentist about passive trays and he says he prefers to keep the attachments on and just use the older tray. His theory is that if anything goes wrong, we wouldn't have to put attachments on again and that way it keeps the people at invisalign happy! I can't complain as I have had excellent care from my dentist.

We also chatted about dentist versus ortho....his theory is if the case is complicated the orthodontist should take the case. My case is pretty much straight forward with the only issue being over crowding.

I am so thrilled with the results, and especially with his care for my treatment, I would highly recommend him to anyone in the Coachella Valley who is thinking about invisalign!

Photo

Dr. Jeffrey F. Tom

I just love this dentist. I recently switched from another dentist in the same office after a negative experience with a crown. Dr. Tom is the best, not only is he a skilled dentist, but a very good listener! I never feel rushed at my appointments and he values my time by not making me wait.

Hi!  I asked this question a while ago but you never answered :).  Is Dr. Tom a cosmetic dentist or a regular dentist?  I ask because my mom lives in La Quinta and your dentist seems really nice.
I feel bad that it took me so long to respond! He is a regular dentist! He not only is a good dentist, but a caring and gentle dentist as well.
Don't feel bad :).  I post so many comments, it's easy to lose one, LOL!  I already passed the info along now :D  Thanks again!
That's such a great idea, with the sonic cleanings every two weeks.  I would definitely have needed that!!! My trays always got so yellow-brown.
Check this out, lady….

Happy birthday!  ;)

The difference is very big and very pretty!
Pretty cool. I am thrilled!
:D :D :D
It seems unlikely to me that you'd just forget that.  And I also don't understand why, if things were tracking well, why not just continue with the treatment.  But as long as you continue to see progress, I see no need to second-guess either :).  Staying in a set of trays longer does tend to make the next tray a little harder to get used to, since your teeth start to settle in, but it's not awful :).

Interested in hearing what the remainder of your treatment will be like!  I wish you could have gotten pictures of the molds!  That would have been fun :).
I think when I go back in I will get pictures of the molds and ask Dr. Tom for a copy of chin check. I was really surprised that only 10 trays had been ordered! They said my case was a bit different because there were going to be 2 sets of trays. No real explanation was given when I asked why?????
Maybe you can get more out of them next time.  We'd definitely be interested in hearing more!
Me too. I am not shy about asking questions, especially when it comes to my health and I consider invisalign an investment in my oral health!
I will get pictures soon of the molds. Dr. Tom offered to make a copy for me. He says he makes a copy of the first set and the final set to give to his patients! I told him I wanted to post the pictures of the "half way there" molds on this site and he was very supportive! Such a great guy!
Yay! :D
Glad to hear that you're having such a good experience with Invisalign. My patients love their results as well. Good luck with everything.
I think I see some movement on the bottom compared to the first pic :).
When I look at the difference between tray 1 and tray 10 it is amazing! I am so thrilled. Can hardly wait to see what the second half of my journey brings!
Can you give us the brand of the toothbrush?  Thanks!
It is a Sonic. At the container store it came in a small tube. One tube was silver and the other tube had polka dots!
Oh!  I thought you were just saying it was a sonic toothbrush *headdesk*.  Thanks :D
It is called a Sonic Slim.
I looked it up online :).  I think the company is called VioLife--they have about thirty different colors! Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but not by much!  Super cute :D.  I think even my little girls might be willing to use them.  And they're cheap, too.
The vibration on the small sonic is much softer than the regular size sonic also! I actually prefer the small one to the larger one. I can get to my back teeth easier!!!! I would think this would be excellent for a child.
And wowwowow!!!  Have you seen this adorable thing???

It's the same company, they call it the Rockee, and they don't tip over :D.  Not as great for on-the-go, but there are kitties and birdies and doggies!!!!!  AAAAHHHH!  I'm dying of cuteness!
I don't think you were exaggerating. There were tons of colors! I only had two choices at the container store!!!!!
They were probably cheaper at the container store, though, since you didn't have to pay for shipping. ;)