Very Disappointed - Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I had always had a large nose and knew from a...

I had always had a large nose and knew from a young age that I wanted rhinoplasty. At 18, I found a surgeon in Palm Beach Gardens that I thought could deliver the results I was looking for. However, I believe my nose was left asymmetrical and it only continued to worsen over the following 6 years as I noticed more and more breathing difficulties and became increasingly upset by the deteriorating appearance of my nose.

Drowning negative reviews

It really is interesting to me how negative reviews are not allowed to be heard. I was too embarrassed and ashamed for years to bother writing a review about my rhinoplasty experience. However, once I get the courage to finally share my story, a whole slew of individuals who have also had the same surgeon spontaneously sign up for Real Self and write glowing reviews. Most don't even post photos of their experience which makes me a little suspicious. I'm not saying Dr. Guiloff hasn't delivered many instances of good results, I'm just saying it's odd how these people only feel the need to post in an attempt to drown out my negative experience. At the end of the day, the photos I have posted are enough to show the pain and disappointment I had to experience for years after receiving my rhinoplasty. You can write all the wonderful reviews you want, but that doesn't change the emotional and physical pain I had to experience due to my results. And my experience deserves to be heard.

Old photos

I decided to upload some old photos I found of how my nose looked before surgery (as embarrassing as that is!) so that you can see the change. From profile shots, you can't tell how terribly assymetrical my nose became from the surgery, and I think that's why I fooled myself for so long into thinking my results weren't all that bad. Admittedly, the surgery did reduce my profile A LOT and made my nose smaller so whenever I felt depressed about how my nose looked after surgery, I just reminded myself of that fact. But that only helped for so long. Eventually, the realization sunk in that my surgery did not go well when I stopped looking at profile photos and started looking at myself straight-on. And then I started going through life trying to not let people see me from straight-on (which is a completely ridiculous way to live life) and always tried turning my head slightly to the left so that they could see the less messed up side of my nose. I'm pretty sure every photo I took for the last 6 years shows a slight turn to the left so that my left (good) side was revealed and not my right side with the severely notched up nostril that showed all the inside of my nose.

Also, in the photo, I included what my nose looked like 8 months after surgery and then 6 years after surgery. You can tell how much it changed. Although it's normal for the nose to drop down a bit, my nose did WAY more than that. My columella slowly started to creep downwards to a place where it never should be and my tip became more and more bulbous. And keep in mind that this is my "good" side!

Revision

I also want to add that I did finally have a revision surgery on August 8th. I think getting my nose fixed was probably the only reason why I finally had the courage to post about how awful the results of my primary were. It's only been a month so obviously I can't say for sure if this nose will last me the rest of my life, but so far I absolutely love it and plan to write a review about my revision surgeon in the near future.

Dr. Richard Davis Revision

So I'm going to be writing a separate review for my revision with Dr. Richard Davis in Miramar, FL. This man deserves a lot of credit and I don't want photos of his wonderful results getting confused with Dr. Guiloff's unacceptable results. So check that review a bit later for those photos :)
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Very unsatisfied with my results. To be fair, he did offer to do a revision free of charge. But given that revision surgery is much more complicated than primary rhinoplasty (and the results of my primary were very upsetting to me), I quickly decided against allowing him to operate on my nose again. Three revision specialists have agreed that my nose was left weak and unstablized from the surgery, resulting in my nose slowly collapsing in over the last 6 years. This affected not only my appearance, but my ability to breathe as well.

Just a note on your comments regarding all the positive reviews after your negative review. This is your doctor's PR form managing his reputation. This is what happened to me when I wrote a negative review on andrew Jacono.
happy to hear things are going well so far. Can't wait to hear how happy you are.
thanksss a lot for posting,, this would help people who considering this dr,, i had a rihnoplasty that didnt deliver wht i ned, this was a year b4 and till nw i dont have the courage to post my experiance,, anyway i hope u the best wiz ur revision, i think dr davis is a good dr
Thank you for sharing your experience! and wow it is scary how the nose changed.. your 8 mos post up looked great! Best of luck in your recovery after the revision! I've heard great things about Dr. Davis.. I've booked a consultation with him for revision Rhinoplasty! I am excited to see your review and photos after revision!:)
I am looking forward to reading your new review. Very happy for you!
Thanks for the updated photos... kind of has me feeling even more nervous as I am around the 8 month mark and will be horrified if my nose gets crazier. I am glad your new results feel promising. How did the people in your life handle your surgical outcome? My family is trying to be really great but they know how bad I am hurting. It can really take a toll on a significant other going through the grief as well! Hope it lasts this time... good rhinoplasties are supposed to. My mom had hers done decades ago and it still looks great.
I am soooo sorry for what you've been through.  How traumatic it must have been for you.  Thank you so much for sharing your experience, photos, and I hope you continue to keep us updated.  I appreciate you having the courage to share doctor's name, etc. so others can be warned or possibly inspired to share their own experience.  I'm so glad you found RealSelf and hope you get all the support and information you need.  Lots of people here that can relate to your misfortune.  Best of luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery with amazing results on your revision.
can you show a current picture after the revision? thats so scary how much changes the nose can have...who did you do your revision with? i hope your current nose will stay how you like it and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Thank you for sharing. I wish I saw more photos and reviews like yours before I had my Rhinoplasty 9 months ago. I haven't been breathing or smelling right since the surgery and my nose is terribly crooked already at 9 months. Your nose looked perfect at 8 months. God, I'm afraid mine will collapse now with the state it's in. ugh..
Why was nose not stabilized correctly, how did it go wrong? This nosejob think is a nightmare it really cant make u sleep at night! I hope ur new surgeon got it right this time!! keep us posted with ur breatheing. did surgeon tell u if u had scar tissue inside
Lots of and lots of scar tissue. Also, he gave me photos that he took during the revision surgery and besides the general disgustingness of seeing my insides, you could see just how terrible my nose was. My entire septum just zigzagged all the way down my nose (which it didn't originally do that) and at the tip the septum did this really strange "S" curve that was responsible for how asymmetrical the tip looked. From what the revision surgeon said, the previous surgeon just left all the cartilage in the nose improperly secured which made it weak and prone to moving around throughout the healing process :/ I'll try to look for some old photos from straight-on from right after my surgery. But the right nostril was notched upwards from the beginning of the healing process. Hopefully I can find a photo that shows that.
Do you have 8 months post up from front you took yourself if doctor didn't take picture?
Wow I can see much swelling in your face and nose 8 mo post. That's scary how swelling can mask things down the road :/ Im so happy for you that your pleased with your revision. Who was your doctor??
Thanks for sharing your story and photos, I'm really glad your revision went well. Do you know what mistakes he made in stabilizing the tip? Did he use a columellar strut or other supporting grafts? Wishing you a speedy recovery, you deserve it!!
I'll have to review the op report to see exactly what was done. I'm not very good with all the technical words! Haha. I think regardless of what techniques were used though, the general consensus of the three revision specialists I saw was that he didn't appropriately use the techniques and that he took away too much of my nose and didn't properly strengthen the remaining cartilage, especially in the tip.
The 8 month post nose looks great. I wonder why your nose has changed so much. I am glad you like your revision results. I look forward to seeing your photos.
Yeah the 8 month definitely looked good from the side! But it was still very assymetrical from the front which is probably why the doctor never put any photos from the front on my op-report. But according to the revision specialists, it changed so much because he didn't stabilize my nose correctly. But hopefully the results from my revision last!
Sorry to hear what ur going thru. Did your nose collapse with in the year you got it done? Did you look good in beginning and change into this shape years later?
My nose looked off from right after surgery. My right nostril was notched up and I could see pretty bad nostril assymetry right from the beginning. My tip also looked a bit strange. But from what the revision specialists said, the surgeon didn't stabilize my nose correctly when he removed cartilage so over the course of the healing process as my skin retracted (and because the structure of my nose wasn't strong and reinforced) it caused the cartilage underneath to buckle and collapse in. So my nose looked much worse after about 5 years than it did to begin with.
Hi - sorry to hear about your disappointment. I too had a bad experience w my 1st surgery (12 yrs ago). I never posted a review here but now that after reareading urs I think maybe I should. I am planning on a revision. Process of consults has been really slow. Just making sure I find the right ps. Are u planning to have a 2nd surgery? Thanks
Oh how your most recent update resonates well with me! I don't have him named on my page because he does not choose to participate in this community so I leave it be on here (but will privately inform people in my area who may be concerned) but I have stated my circumstances and my feelings of how the aftercare went, witnessed by others, and on Vitals, my reviews were deleted, and on sites where he could not have reviews removed, GLOWING reviews were but up within two days, from patients from THREE years ago who I guess just all of the sudden decided he was worthy of a review after all of this time (mind you, he had NO rhinoplasty reviews prior to me, just a blog floating around from a girl I personally know, and she did have a great result). Just like your situation, they did not even try to make their review sound legitimate, they just spent most of their time discrediting mine, and how I must have the wrong doctor because that was not their experience. I'm sorry, but when I yelp about a restaurant or store, I spend my time speaking of my experience, not ranting about how wrong everyone else is because we did not share the same experience. Huge red flag, and my surgeon is some no-name who doesn't even market, so you can only imagine the lengths the bigger ones go to, to protect their online reputation. It absolutely disgusts me and no website should count reviews that ever mention someone else's review, ever. It is bad enough many sites don't ever try to verify the good ones that don't attack people, yet still are blatantly fake. Who spends their time writing about the beautiful office views? Gag. I am sick of these doctors and assistants bullying patients into not having a voice! Any patient who just cares about defending a surgeon's reputation, whether their result is great or not, should be factored out simply for not being on the sides of patients. If you don't have empathy amongst your own, I don't hear you. Ok, done ranting :)

Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf. You might want to do some research in RealSelf's revision rhinoplasty community.

Please keep us posted as to how you're going to proceed!

So sorry and I feel your pain. Good for you for having the clarity to not let him operate again instead of being blinded by another promise and jumping to get it fixed out of feeling desperate. I think that is one of the worst things that could have happened and I managed to avoid that scenario as well. I do hope you find a revision specialist who meets your needs and exceeds your greatest expectations. Wishing you the best!