Finally Something That Works! Obagi Nu Derm System - Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I just wanted to share with everyone my amazing...

I just wanted to share with everyone my amazing results with the obagi system. I felt I had tried many things for melasma and was feeling very discouraged. My dermatologist recommended this and I couldn't be happier. I'm 3.5 weeks through and the results thus far are superb. Unfortunately, it does not come at an easy price. The peeling is very uncomfortable and ugly to be honest. Sometimes my face burns when I apply sun block, and afte the exfoderm it turns red. There is some itchiness too. But I think it's a temporary price for something that I hope will be long term, even if it requires maintanence.

Congrats! I am happy this worked for you. I have melasma but i am Latina and this would not work on my dark olive skin tone. Best Wishes.
Bella I too am latina with olive complexion. Boy did it lighten me up. The rest of me is all tanned and face isn't, I'm just avoiding the sun with hats.
That's exactly what i DID NOT want! To look like michael jackson. I may have to just live with my UGLY FACE!!!!! I figure GOD made me like this,so it's meant to be. I have been living with it for 10 years or so&i will til i die. I wish you the best. Plz NO sun as it can get darker,like black.
Haha Bella, the Michael Jackson look would not be good. I am latina too but I think the face just looks cleaner and younger with this system. I have noticed that in pictures my face is lighter than my arms because I get a lot more sun there but that has been the case when I get any sun. I have avoided sun in my face for over a year and before this treatment...I was still a bit paler in the face. Have you talked to a dermatologist about it? It may be worth it to try it and if you don't like it, stop but if you talk to your derm they could advise you on what would work better. I hope you find something that works! I found a good dermatologist which is the difference between my face then and my face now. I feel the other one I had was very dismissive so finding one that seems to understand the problem worked for me. Thankfully lol Let us know if you decide to try anything and the results! :)
My doctor is a dermatologic Surgeon. He advised me to try derma sweep. He said no fraxel,too expensive&doesn't work and no laser. I shall see this October once i do a patch test,if i will continue to do both cheeks. I will experiment slowly and only on one cheek at a time. DO one side&wait 6 months and if it doesn't fade i will STOP!! Thanks for the advise.
I have been using the skin suitcases tinted SPF 50 also and seems pretty good. Curious if anyone has tried the reverse regimen from Roden and fields...it sounds like everyone says it works amazing and maybe not the peeling that the obagi gives you..any thoughts? Thanks guys! I also am using just the tee otitis and blender per derm...they didn't rec the whole system for so e reason...also, could you just use the whole system I my where you have melasma instead of whole face? I just wish I knew what caused this since I've never been a big sun goer.
Hi Peanut6, I've never heard of Roden and Fields...that would be interesting to know about! My dermatologist said spot treatmeant was not good b/c it can cuase blotchiness. Which worries me too b/c on weekends (like this one) where I have a lot of stuff going on socially I prefer not to use the products on my entire face. i use it only on the melasma to make sure that still gets treatment. I've done that for 2 non-consecutive weekends and haven't noticed any blotchiness but it may be because I go back to full face on the Monday after. With that said, I had a different derm at one point and they prescribed the hydroquinone by spot treatment, not full face. i believe that may depend on the treatment. Back then I was only using hydoquinone and the tretnoin. It did not work for me. It's working now with Obagi.
Thanks! So the hydro and tenor tin didn't work at all for you? My derm has said tomdomthatbyet in the spots because that is what you are trying to lighten? What Obaji routine do you use? I just dint want tons of peeling because I am around people and at my kids school everyday:-( I hate this and wish I knew how I got it. Google the reverse regimen by Roden and files for melasma pictures...it just seems really good so I'm leaning in trying it...one of the dermatologist (Roden or fields) also has melasma and her face looks great and she talks about what she does..she even said that after she applies one of the night products that she wraps the bad part in Saran Wrap for like 30 minutes for a way that she said epdermatologist have practiced something(can't remember the name) forever..sounded weird but willing to try whatever works lol
I invested in the whole Rodan and Fields Reverse Regimen and stopped using it before it ran out--and only used it as long as I did because it was expensive. I didn't see any difference in my skin and I actually thought that it faded the rest of my skin but NOT my spots so it appeared to get worse (which is why most dermatologists tell you to only use HQ as spot treatment--bc I have freckles too, and I'm not trying to fade those). Also, it made my skin look dull and I had a lot more breakouts than usual. I wouldn't waste your money. All the R&F products only have 2% HQ and you can get that in OTC creams for way less money. I have Obagi Nu-Derm Clear hydroquinone 4% cream from a skin clinic after I had an IPL Laser treatment I got 2 years ago, and started using that again just as spot treatment and using the Murad Environmental Shield line (packed with vitamin C) and my skin looks so much better overall. Going to keep using this and look into getting some laser treatments to accelerate the spot fading. Also, shocker, hormonal contraceptives may make this worse so I'm looking into other alternatives for that as well ... oh to be a woman.
Hi ~ thank you for your pictures & honest review. I am about to start the Obagi NuDerm system in a couple weeks (waiting until after a visit out of state. Don't want to pack all the products.) First question: How long did your peeling / flakey process take? I am comfortable with a .05 % Hydroquinone prescription I have (no irritation, etc.), but I do not know how this compares to a 1% Tretinoin. Second question is: do you feel it is okay to use with a Clarisonic face cleansing brush? (Too much at one time? Too aggressive? Try it out & see how it goes? ) Any feedback would be appreciated. Just trying to get a grip on what I can expect, but I know everyone is different. Thanks in advance for your help ~
Hi Cheryl! I've been on this for 4 weeks now and the peeling/flakey process has yet to stop. My dermatologist said that the skin would get used to the creams and stop flaking that much. It may be true but I have also altered the intensity of it as well, so it's hard to say for sure if it's that the product is taking it's course or I have slowed down the process. - First 2 weeks, I followed instructions carefully. Using steps 1-5, an inch of each product as instructed by my derm dr. The peeling was actually very ugly. It took a few days for my face to start peeling once I started the program and then it was non stop. In the morning the face was fine but as the day went on it got tighter and tighter. Which meant I couldn't move my mouth too much if I was at work b/c it would start peeling. And in the first two weeks, the peeling was not that of a sunburn where the skin is thinner with longer layers. This peeling was mostly around the mouth area and it was thick small layers of skin so once I started moving my mouth too much the skin would start to break up. For those first 2 weeks, my co-workers thought I was seriously disgruntled about something! lol When I got home I would then start moving my face around and all that skin loosened up. Then I washed it and applied the night portion of it (since I did not plan on leaving the house). At that point, it did burn a little b/c the skin was so raw. (I did not try the spin brush at that point, just started using it a few days ago. But back in those first 2 weeks, I would've been a lil weary about it or at least been extra careful using it b/c the face was much more "raw") - After the first 2 weeks, I took a few days off b/c I was going to have a super busy long weekend and planned to be outside a bit more, so I did not want to be flaking with people around me (I did not feel comfortable at all for anyone other than my husband to see me like that) and I did not want my skin to be so sensitive either since it was going to be more exposed to the sun light and heat (which my derm dr. also told me that heat alone can get the melasma to start up again). So once I got back on the medication steps 1-5, I decided to not apply as much of the medication to the mouth area b/c it's been the only part that was consistently peeling for me. So now I have started focusing on the actual melasma areas of my face and continuing the aggressive way in that area and doing a lighter version in the mouth area. I simply do not apply as much of the medication there so I will do a light layer of it around the mouth and do a heavier layer on the cheek area. I've now started to see significant peeling in that area which I am happy about. - So that is basically how my first 4 weeks have been. Please don't be scared by my comments on the peeling. It is not pretty, it is not easy...but it is worth it! I would recommend just not making too many face movements if you feel your face tight and you're in public (if you care about how it looks) and then when you're able to wash your face, loosen the skin up little by little. - The process also entails having non-comedogenic makeup and sunblock as the derm dr. said I need to use products that do not block the pores. So, I bought several types of sun blocks trying to see which worked best, which left the least white residue on my face, did not block pores and had at least SPF 30. So I found 2. Both leave a little bit of white residue but they don't block pores and I think have worked the best for me. - CeraVe SPF 30 (has zinc which is supposed to be a strongly suggested ingredient). i found this one at Walmart. It says "oil free" so I think that would be good for not blocking pores. - Solar Protection formula (SPF 65 UVA/UVB, non-comedogenic). This one I found on Amazon. It wasn't exactly cheap, I know I spent $45 on it but I just saw it on amazon for $30! So not sure if that depended on the seller. In any case, it met all the requirements so I decided that I would use the SPF 30 one when I went to work (spending all day in the office) and I would use the SPF 65 if I had any intentions of spending any time out in the sun, I apply the Solar sun block. - MAC Studio moisture tint SPF 15 MEDIUM DARK, My last tip for you, which I found to be a life savor and would greatly suggest is this tinted moisturizer from Mac. I just ordered a re-supply from Macy's and it's $30. If you get the right color for you, it can be the best thing ever. Right now, both the sun blocks I use leave a little bit of the white residue which can make you look pale. So when I apply this moisturizer (which also has SPF 15, so a double layer of sunblock!) it covers up all the white residue and gives you a little bit of color. For me, it gives me a very natural look, hides the sun block very well. I researched and read that MAC is on-acnegenic (which seems to vary slightly from non-comedogenic but the same principle) from what I understood. You may be asking how it works when you're peeling...well, it is very hard to hide peeling buuuut...if you have minimal peeling, what I have done is dab the moisturizer onto the skin instead of rubbing/spreading it in. That doesn't make the peeling worse and kinda camouflages it . I hope that my very LONG response lol can help you in making decisions based on what works for your skin. We are all different and I know it's true that what works for me, may not be the best for you and vice versa. Good luck with this!! I hope it can transform you as it did me. I am not 100% there, I think I still have a lot to work on with my melasma to make sure it stays away but it's made my self -esteem that much better. I no longer have to pack on the makeup to hide my marks, I apply the medication, apply the sunblock, a layer of the tinted moisturizer and my face looks young, healthy...and nearly spot free! All the best Cheryl :)
Hi Cheryl, For me personally I am still peeling and I've been using the NuDerm since last November. Not like it did those first few weeks but our skin cells are turning over quicker b/c of the products. I started using the spin brush I believe about a week or two into the process. I couldn't stand all the flaking and found it helped taking that layer off. Yes my face felt raw so I wasn't scrubbing it I gently used the brush. When drying my face I gently patted never rubbing. Your being given new baby skin . You will get use to the way each step works for your skin and adjust accordingly. I do suggest to avoid as much sun as possible during the first month. Your skin layer will be extremely thin and even with the sunblock my dermatologist told me you are more exposed than ever to those harmful rays. Wear a big hat. Good luck and have fu on your trip. -Monica
Thanks so much for your replies! All the information is very helpful. I am as prepared as I can be for the peeling stage, not pretty, but worth it in the long run. I wear sunscreen rain or shine & have found a few that I really like. (Skin Ceuticals SPF 50 tinted; LaRoche-Posay SPF 60; and Total Block Face SPF 60 - this one is heavier like a foundation due to the zinc in it.) My melasma is "mild" on cheeks & forehead so I want to address it before it gets any worse. My older sister also has melasma & it is considerably darker than mine, but she is on NuDerm & I can see it lightening already. The confidence boost is amazing. Thank you again for your feedback!
Yes it can be uncomfortable but so worth it. I started back in November and my results too were anazing. Maintenance and then back to full applications during hit summer months will be necessary. Are you also doing the tretinoin and blender in the evening? Good luck with your treatment. Monica
Hi Monica, I'm glad to hear your results are great too! Full applications in the summer? That's real commitment. I am doing the tretinoin/blender in the evening. And also the exfoderm in the am. I think I have steps 1-5 of the obagi line and using as recommended by dermatologist. Though, I have to admit sometimes it's really hard to follow to the tee because the peeling is so bad around the mouth. The first few weekends I didn't feel comfortable enough to leave the house. It feels like because of so much movement in that area the peeling is so much more than every where else. So while I do the clear all over the face 2x a day, I have scaled back a little on doing the exfoderm and blender/tret. around the mouth so I will do every other day and that seems to be working fine. Especially since my melasma is in top portion of face. I haven't asked the dermatologist though if that's a good idea...i'm afraid to ask which I know is risky. Anyway...thanks for reaching out Monica! :)
Try using a spin brush when you wash your face. It tends to take the flaking off of your face and keep it under control. The treatment 1-5 is working together to produce new skin so the old skin has to sluff off...hence all the peeling. Have you seen my before and after photos? Major difference. A lot of people have started using the spin brush and you may enjoy it. When I take a break here and there because it does tend to be a bit too much ar times. I wash, tone and then mix a dab if vaseline and couple squirts of oil of olay regenerist serum. I do this in the evening and in the morning I feel refteshed. : )
hmm, I actually do have the Clarisonic brush! But thought it would be too harsh on the face. I will def try it and see how it works. Yes, I have seen your pictures...1 word..AMAZING! Definitely a great transformation. Thanks so much for the tips, this is all so helpful. You're like a veteran at this! lol