Agressive Septoplasty - Palestine

I am 41 year old Medical Engineer . for a long...

I am 41 year old Medical Engineer . for a long time I have had breathing difficulties particularly at bed time. I would not say it was a severe life altering difficulty but it would sometimes drive me crazy as I could only sleep on one side otherwise I would almost choke .All the ENT specialists I ever visited , 5 in total , agreed readily as soon as they would see the inside of my nose . " Oh yes clear septal deviation , when shall we book you for the operation " To cut a long story short , after years and years of making up excuses , and having developed hypertension a few years back , my blood pressure doctor said that severe sleep apnea caused by by bad nasal airflow could in theory cause a raised BP in some cases. I , with very enthusiastic support from my wife , (hoping it would stop my snoring ) went ahead and booked a normal Septoplasty with my insurance covered ENT . But , at the last minute a few friend of mine at the hospital were the operation was scheduled said they thought I should choose a Plastic Surgeon rather than an ENT as I had a slight protrusion of the deviated septal cartridge showing in one of the nostrils. and he would do a better job of fixing that.

Any way I re-booked with a cosmetics Surgery Specialist , who was only too eager to do the surgery. I made the mistake of not asking enough questions about what exactly he was about to do in the operation , but he sounded so sure of himself and would dismiss any of my concerns. At that stage I was more concerned about septal perforations and dry nose syndrome than post op breathing , because obviously my breathing was going to be 100% better , right? after all that's what the op was designed for .

just before going in for Surgery I told the Surgeon that apart form the protruding cartilage ,I did not want the appearance of my nose altered in any shape. again he assured me that any changes I would see would be transitory and not to worry . The Surgery was done on the 17th of January 2012. It lasted three hours .For the first day I was in a great deal of pain and discomfort and had to have all manner of IV pain killers. The recovery was very very miserable . I was bruised and swollen so badly I still have bad halos around my eyes 3 months later . The packing was removed 4 days post op , but pain-wise and swelling wise things did not improve until a month following this surgery. I had very strange plastic splints that were giving me nightmare that the surgeon would not remove until I begged him five weeks after Surgery. All this was very out of the ordinary from what I had been led to believe about Septoplasty recovery but I was still not alarmed as I thought OK may be a I am a slow healer . I was very alarmed though when having removed the short splints , which I thought were the main obstacle to the promised 100% nose breathing Nirvana . I was still as clogged as ever especially on the side which had previously been open. I also was by now unhappy with the shape of the nose which was upturned drastically , was much shorter in length , and had a hump where previously there was none.

Everyone kept telling me , wait , wait , you're still healing your nose is still tender , etc . I am now resigned to the fact that my breathing is worse than what it was originally and my nose looks worse as well . My surgeon still maintains that it is still early days . But I now Know that he has a reputation for performing aggressive surgeries .This was a very traumatic and pointless exercise that has left me angry and self conscious . My advise to anyone contemplating this procedure is study your case in detail , know exactly what they intend to do to you . Don't rush into these things just because the doctors have got you by the nose and are dashing to catch the next septoplasty takeoff.

Any update on your breatheing :( so sorry to hear
Sorry to hear! Thank u for the story do u Min in boxing me ur doc name n state please so that I don't visit him, I am having the hardest time figuring out which doc to use for same procedure. Thanks a mil!
am sad how things got for... fathi ia am from Palestine too , i also had a surgery for my nose to make my breathing better but because our unqualified and irresponsible medical care here imagine that a doctor not mine took me from my doctor and did my nose surgery that did not turn well because he was afraid to do my deviated septum and for that reason i had to wait another 3 depressing weeks unable to sleep because of postnasal drip because of a silly doctor that doesn't know how to do his job!!! :@