36 Crowding & Overbite - Pakenham, AU

I've always been conscious of my teeth. They're...

I've always been conscious of my teeth. They're not so bad that people would comment but they are far from perfect. I notice them most in pics with my friends who all have gorgeous straight smiles. So I'm now on day 2 of tray 1 of 16 trays & I'm full of fear! Firstly I've had virtually none of the pain that other reviewers describe. This makes me wonder if it's doing anything. I'm so self conscious at the miment I actually avoided a friend at the supermarket today. I have alot of attachments which kinda makes mine stand out a bit. It's a battle getting them off & at times I've thought I'm not going to be able to get them out. I actually love that it's hard to snack & that I have to grab a bottle of water instead of Coke. A healthier lifestyle is a big plus that I can see so far! So far the whole process from online enquiry to first tray fitting has been about 4 months. Can anyone tell me if sugarfree mints are okay to eat with your trays in? I also bought a breath freshener spray but I'm not sure if I should be using it.
Straight Smiles

Very friendly & professional staff & Dr.

I read through the comments and I love my community members!  They give great advice :D.  I look forward to following your progress!
Congrats on starting your treatment! I was really self conscious with my attachments as well... you will eventually get used to them. It'll take some time. Sometimes the first tray is the "get used to them" tray and there won't be any movement. My first tray was like that and I didn't get my attachments until tray 2. Some trays will cause more soreness than others. I didn't notice any major movements until about tray 7. The first thing you should start to notice is a difference in your flossing. You will also be able to tell which teeth they are focusing on as you move through your treatment. Oh, and your bite will change as well, so don't be alarmed if one side seems "off" for a bit. One thing to keep in mind is that the trays stain very easily. I was using the breath spray for a short time when I first started treatment and it stained my aligners yellow... I've never eaten any candy or mints while wearing my aligners. One time I tried to eat a banana just to see if I could eat with them in and it didn't work out well. LOL. :)
Thanks for the advice! I'll steer clear of the breath spray. Despite other users saying they get stinky breath I've found mine's been pretty good. No complaints from my fiancé! I've been trying to come up with things I might be able to eat or drink safely when I have the trays in. Not because I want to do it all the time but I anticipate some situations when I go back to work where I'll get caught out of the office for long periods which will mean not being able to eat. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!
Your teeth look very similar to mine when I started. I'm on 18 of 23 now. The slower it moves your teeth the better. It has to move a ligament which isn't designed to move. Plus it has to dissolve jaw bone on one side and build it on the other as the movement progresses. That needs to be done very slowly. I did not notice much pain at first and there was never a lot of pain but some discomfort. About tray 4 you'll know it's working. After tray 8 on mine, I haven't felt any discomfort whatsoever even when putting in new ones. What did happen to me was it took awhile for my tongue to toughen up as the edges of the trays liked to slice at it. I used ortho wax on the edges of some trays and that worked great. My tongue eventually got used to it. Don't lapse on your dental hygiene even for a day. I found some clear pop (soda depending on where you live) sweetened by Stevia that I drink as my treat for the day. I did crack one of my aligners taking it out so they aren't indestructible, but they're pretty tough all things considered. You'll master taking them out eventually. I use my two thumb nails and start in back on the lower ones and use my two pointer fingers to take out the tops also starting in back. It helps to have a big mouth lol. Good luck!
Thanks Jafa! Still no pain but my teeth are very tender when I take the trays out for eating. I actually find that it's a bit of a comfort to get them back on!