Painful Post-op, Not Very Happy with Results So Far

I had SmartLipo of tummy, inner upper thighs,...

I had SmartLipo of tummy, inner upper thighs, & inner knees 4 weeks ago. The first week was ok, but worse than I'd been told. Now I am having constant burning pain in abd. area & inner thighs.

Wearing clothes is uncomfortable & gets worse the longer I wear anything next to my skin. There's hard lumpiness throughout the abd. & some in the thighs & knees. The skin looks normal first thing in the morning, but takes on a funny mottled color--not really bruised-- as the day goes on, and the swelling increases throughout the day.

There's a cleft on the front of both thighs, esp. on the right, where you can tell it's where he started the inner thigh procedure. Will this go away? And both knees have an area that appears caved in. Legs, altogether, look worse than before. Abd. is flatter, but definitely not pretty.

The doctor had a great reputation & is a "teacher" of SmartLipo. I found him unprofessional & very rushed, as in "the more procedures he can do the more money he can make". Would I do it again? Probably not -- at least, not with this surgeon. Can anyone comment about any of the problems I'm having? I'm pretty discouraged at this point.

Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

day 3 for me. had smart lipo on my lower and upper abs, under bra. I agree the pain is worse then I thought. lots of pain in lower abs that's where most of my fat was. the dr did not stand me up or roll me over, I stayed in one place the whole time. my question is should the compression belt be pulled tight? he also said I had to wear it for 2 weeks then I wouldn't have to wear any compression garments after
I wonder if it depends on how much you get done at once. I had a tummy tuck two years ago after losing 80+ pounds, and the results were fantastic. Seriously, this procedure made me look better than I've ever looked in my life. However, it was also the most painful experience I've ever had, and I once broke both legs at the same time. Anyway, I had SmartLipo yesterday on my love handles. The assistant for my pre-op and consultation was incredibly nice and very informative. The assistant and the doctor for the actual procedure were rude, rushed, and overall I was very uncomfortable having them operate on me. I'm now one day out, and I feel great! I'm a little sore, but I can already see a difference. I also went back to normal pretty quickly. The procedure took an hour, and fifteen minutes later I was on my way to pick up my daughter from preschool. Today, I'm completely back to normal! I feel a little bruised, but it isn't preventing me from normal activities.
Yes, i had similar experience as you re. Dr is a trained teacher of smart lipo and board certified etc. but in the operatory he was unprofessional, rude and seemingly rushed/distanced. I would also not return to this highly trained Dr. and I would not recommend him.
I had laser lipo yesterday - 5th Sept - and am pretty shocked at how painful it was in some areas - I was not prepared for that at all. I was told there would be discomfort, would agree to some point on the tummy and arms- but having the local put in through that little cut they make was very painful on my knees. It felt like being cut. Today, I am swollen bruised and uncomfortable on my arms and a little tender on my stomach - but my knees are so bizarrely swollen and painful that I'm struggling to walk about. Not quite what I was expecting at all. Sounds like there is a variety of results in due course, just hope the pain stops soon!
I had laser lipo (arms) on March 2nd. I just stopped wearing my compression garments. I hardly have any bruising, no lumps whatsoever, but they're still swollen. Relatively no pain, I don't even take my pain medication. The only time it hurts is when I do some weird movements in the middle of the night. I can't WAIT until the swelling goes down!! I'll keep you updated.
Well Same here I actually, gained more on that area..what a waist fo 6000 dollars. I AM SO UNHAPPY right now..I have to pay the money back..
wow. smart lipo ruined my life. so far. lol. i hate it. no difference what so ever. skins bumpy lumpy like rockyroad ice cream. back skin so tight i feel itll rip if i raise my hand. my guts huge. theres no difference. only one month out tho im hoping things change, i hate when mom says i told you so. but she sure enough did. i should've invested my $6000 in good food and work out stuff and shoes and clothes and motivation...and then, invested the other 5500...im so unhappy with it. but we'll c! if things change ill definately update.
Well hopefully, things turned out better for you eventually. I've heard from a number of others that many people go through an "ugly phase" post lipo while a lot of the swelling is still present and going down. Some even said the worst point was between weeks 4 and 8 post-op, but then things got significantly better. Most doctors say that you won't see final results for 4-6 months or more.
I am OK results with the Smartlipo, I am not complety happy. I can see a gap where there is not fat and where the fat begins, bumps and irregular skin. I just saw the doctor the day of the first consultation and the day of the surgery, after that, I never saw it again. He was always busy to see me during my post op checks. The procedure was very stressful, They never offered me to watch any TV or headphones to heard anything. I just heard the machine and the doctor talking to his assistents with kind of attitude, like their were his slaves. I made a mistake to recomend a friend to get the smart lipo there, she is very dissapointed as well. I thought It was my personal opinion, now I am sure it wasn't just me. I will never recomend my doctor to any other person.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you all should've done a lot more research than you obviously did. I went on several consulatations. I discovered that doctors who do smart lipo, who are NOT board certified plastic surgeons, are just people who have bought a smartlipo machine and took a weekend course. There's NO WAY you should EVER be awake during ANY liposuction WHATSOEVER. I finally found mine, after several months and several consultations. A board certified anesthesiologist was there and put me to sleep, the surgery was done in 2-1/2 hours: entire abdomen, inner thighs, bra roll, waist. I am only 8 days post-op, feeling great, bruised & swollen, but great. You need to follow directions and NEVER, EVER, GO TO JUST A PLAIN ORDINARY DOCTOR WITH A SMART LIPO MACHINE WHO DOES YOU WHILE YOU'RE AWAKE---THAT IS BARBARIC!!! YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!!!
Um, no. Smartlipo is usually done under local anesthesia. General anesthesia = longer and more painful recovery times.
This is not true, there are many surgeons performing under local anesthesia. Even very well known, board certified once. Though if they do multiply area's I guess you must have at least some good sedation with it!

HI I am week 3 in to my Smart lipo on love handles and lower abdomen. I do not see much difference I could still pinch as much fat as before and actyally the skin is getting looser on one side and looks distorted..not very happy..I am still sore and bruised.doc said he took out 1.5l of fluid but it does not show.. I see everything coming back on my sides.. any advice?

There are perhaps two different issues here. One is that if the doctor used suction to remove the fat after the laser melting, then what you're seeing is not likely fat, but rather swelling. I'm into my third week post smartlipo, and I'm experiencing the same thing; the swelling is filling up the area that the fat used to be in. It looks uglier right now, because the swelling is differential (uneven) and so it looks lumpy rather than smooth, and sticks out more in some places than others (It looks almost normal first thing in the morning though before gravity starts pulling the swelling down to my lower abs and flanks.) Be patient, 3 weeks is too early to tell. I actually looked better during week 1 and 2.
I am a 56 yr old female and had Smart Lipo on my glutes and thighs (inner, outer, front and back) on July 1st. I was on the table from 9am to 6pm with the doctor working all but about 30-40 minutes for necessary breaks. I am swollen, have skin mottling around both knees and significant bruising in all treated areas. The doctor cautioned that noticable results may not be evident for a number of weeks or even days. However, my daughter noticed a difference in the appearance of my thighs the I first time I removed the compression garment 24-hrs post-op. I continue to notice slight improvement, however, I feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck! I'm not in pain, but I believe the swelling and bruising are causing a soreness that is responding well to light pain killers. I am scheduled to have upper & lower abs, flanks, back bra area and upper arms done on the 9th and am seriously contemplating rescheduling. Frankly, after 9 hours on the table just 5 days ago, I'm not sure my body can handle another full day of trauma so soon. Also, while I've no doubt that many patients indeed do return to normal activities the next day, I have to assume they are either much younger than I am, or had less work done. I am physically fit and work out regularly, but am still dragging a little since the procedure. Hang in there, I sincerely hope that you get the results you are hoping for soon.
I had smart lipo on my stomach, flanks, and chest 8 days ago. I have not posted anything as I am not sure of the results at this point. I would totally agree that the first week was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I had planned to be out for two days but ended up having to be out all week. I am not sure how long yours took but the Dr. took over 6 hours on my three areas. It seemed like a very long time but he was being very thorough and had me stand up several times during the procedure so that he could see what my torso looked like when I was standing. I have experienced the swelling and movement that you describe and it has been very uncomfortable this week. The compression garment that I have had to wear 24 hours a day seems to have helped with the swelling to some degree.