Who have you told? Who will you tell? What will you say if people ask?

I have wanted to get this done for a long time....

I have wanted to get this done for a long time. For the past year or so, I've been lurking here, reading your stories, and learning everything I can about the procedure. Thank you for that!

Recently I had a consult, scheduled my surgery date, and put down a deposit. When I spoke with a scheduler in the office, I asked about preop blood work. I was pleasantly surprised when she said I didn't need any, as I don't have any major medical problems, heart issues, etc.

Then I got a letter shortly afterward detailing my required preop blood work! I had assumed that I would have to do it, and was still a little irked that the scheduler obviously didn't know what she was talking about. HOWEVER, what really is upsetting me is that the letter implied that I would need to get the blood work done through my primary care doctor. What?! I called and was told that I couldn't get the blood work done at the plastic surgery site, even though the office is part of a major hospital network. I would HAVE to get it done with my primary care doctor. I see a major problem with this. I have an HMO and I seriously doubt that they will pay for blood work for an elective, cosmetic procedure.

The (different) office worker I spoke with said that I could just ask for the routine tests, and presumably not tell them it was needed for plastic surgery. Unfortunately, I told her, I had full blood work done a couple of months ago, so I can't imagine they would do it again so soon. Of course, the plastic surgeon can't use those results as they "have to be within 30 days of the surgery". UGH!

I find it quite strange that I cannot get the blood work done at the plastic surgeon's office/hospital. When I protested further with the office worker, she told me that if my HMO won't cover it, I would have to pay for it out of pocket somewhere! This really angered me. For the amount that I am paying, I am quite aggravated that the cost of blood work that THEY are requiring isn't part of the total package, which DOES include all follow up appointments for a year, yet doesn't include their required preop work?

This is not sitting well with me at all. I wanted to ask if this is the norm in the plastic surgery world or if this is something unusual with my plastic surgeon. Were you required to have blood work done prior to your rhinoplasty? If so, was that done at your plastic surgery site as part of your total cost? Did you have to try to get your insurance company to do it? Were they willing? Or did you have to pay an outside lab to do it?

I had been so excited to finally get the balling rolling on my surgery, and now am feeling stuck. : (

No Turning Back Now! Questions: Please Give Me Your Answers!

Just paid for my rhinoplasty! It's official. I feel such a mix of excitement and terror. lol I assume this is normal at this stage??

I have done a ton of online research about every stage of the process. Now, with my surgery date two weeks out, I'm fixated on the recovery process.

First question:

I am very sensitive to anesthesia. I had my gall bladder out a few years ago under general anesthesia, and supposedly, they gave me anti-nausea meds in my IV, but I still vomited several times in the recovery room. It sucked. I'm imaging how much worse vomiting will be after having surgery on my face. : (

For those who have been through rhinoplasty under general anesthesia (with or without anti-nausea meds), did you vomit afterwards? In the recovery room? Later at home? Were you given anti-nausea pills (Zofran?) to take home with you?

Second question:

I'm getting quite a bit of work done on my nose. My plastic surgeon booked the operating room for 3.5 hours. Hopefully, he won't need that whole time. I'm now wondering if I will need a catheter during surgery. Did anyone else have a catheter during your rhinoplasty? I've had one before during child birth, but I feel weird about a plastic surgeon putting one in.

Last question:

For those who used Arnica pills/gel prior to and after surgery, how soon before surgery did you start using them?

Thanks so much for your responses!

Before Pics!

Finally got my before pics up! Seeing these up close keep me focused on how bad my nose really is! This encourages me to go through with my surgery, despite my terror of general anesthesia and the recovery process.

I would be so appreciative if you could answer my questions below.

Thanks!

Who have you told? Who will you tell? What will you say if people ask?

In addition to being nervous about the procedure and the anesthesia, I'm starting to worry a bit about the reaction of the world once I come out of hiding about 9 days after the procedure. Only my mom and husband know. I really don't want to tell anyone else. I'm hoping others just think I look really good, but have no idea why! lol I'm going to slightly change my hair right before the procedure, so I'm hoping that will throw people off and/or can be my excuse about what's different. : )

I haven't decided out what I will say if people flat out ask me or guess. I guess I'll just be honest, but I feel like there are many in my life who will be very judgmental if they knew. : (

For those whose surgery is coming up soon or who are going through recovery right now, who have you told? Who will you tell? What will you say if people ask what's different or flat out ask if you got a nose job?

For those who are farther out in recovery, did those who you didn't tell about your rhinoplasty guess when they saw you for the first time afterward? What did you say?